Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:43 am 

Look no further: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Audio-Technica- ... 814wt_1165

These are the best headphones you can buy for the money. They're a great deal at their regular price of $130, and at $85 they're a fucking steal.

cuntadin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:20 pm 

Neat ones, aye. Definitely great for monitoring! Dunno 'bout the mixing part though, they're closed-back and stuff.

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:57 pm 

How good are these headphones for listening music ?

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:13 pm 

Very good. You can hear a lot of detail even nicer speakers mask.

DeathFog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:35 pm 

What other headphones in the similar price range / class would you suggest ?

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:33 pm 

I bought a pair of the ATH-M40fs phones about seven years ago. I haven't looked into the M50's and I don't know how different the two products are, but the ones I own sound great and are comfortable, but the thin material that covers the earpieces and head strap started flaking off in tiny pieces not all that long after I bought them. I read a lot of comments from other people having the same problem. I hate having these vinyl flakes always getting all over the place and it's not really possible to remove all of it from the phones at once. I hope Audio Technica has addressed that problem.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:43 pm 

DeathFog wrote:
What other headphones in the similar price range / class would you suggest ?

If you need headphones with great isolation, IE tracking headphones, the Sennheiser 280s are better since they can get much louder and don't leak much sound at all. But the ATH-M50s sound so much better

DeathFog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:31 pm 

I am currently listening to music in AKG K240 Studio. I borrowed them from a guy I know. According to him these headphones have very liner characteristics and suit well for monitoring. I do have to agree that they are very liner, I can also add that the clarity is superb. I will try them tomorrow for monitoring purposes.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:27 am 

DeathFog wrote:
I am currently listening to music in AKG K240 Studio. I borrowed them from a guy I know. According to him these headphones have very liner characteristics and suit well for monitoring. I do have to agree that they are very liner, I can also add that the clarity is superb. I will try them tomorrow for monitoring purposes.

I used to have a pair of those, they are nice. THey don't sound that great, and their isolation kind of sucks.,

cuntadin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:38 pm 

The thing with AKG is that you simply have to have them amped if you want to experience their full power (meaning, the best sound quality). And that applies to every model, even the cheaper ones. I still have a K 99 (very cheap), they were kinda bassy without an amp and highs lacked details, but through my usb interface - holy shit, the quality!

DeathFog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:09 pm 

The sound isolation is indeed lacking. The overall impression after using in the "field" - the sound is quite dry. I run them through a Roland mixer to monitor the guitar sound for recording. Had there been no second room in the place we rehearse and had the door not been covered with the sound isolating material, I would not be able hear a shit coming from the phones.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:48 pm 

cuntadin wrote:
The thing with AKG is that you simply have to have them amped if you want to experience their full power (meaning, the best sound quality). And that applies to every model, even the cheaper ones. I still have a K 99 (very cheap), they were kinda bassy without an amp and highs lacked details, but through my usb interface - holy shit, the quality!

Oh, yeah, definitely... Cheaper DACs and low power headphone amps will really rape the sound quality. My FF400 has a pretty excellent headphone amp, though.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.