Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:32 pm 

I'm looking for amps that are in the 450$ - 550$ range that work for black metal. I'm looking at Peavey because apparently it's a tube amp, but maybe Marshall amps would work?

I enjoy black metal a lot, but also like soloing-- so one that is bent on creating fuzz isn't the best choice. I know I can mod this through pedals (what pedals work for you or what would you recommend?), but don't amps have some effect on the output sound?

Unfortunately with a really busy summer job I don't have tons of time to research these things :(
I've checked prices and how the guitars work-- so I've got that down... problem is I'm really lacking in terms of what is a good amp or not. I tried ultimate guitar.com but they all seem to recommend things that aren't totally aimed at my desired product. Any positive suggestions will be met with glorious beers and more stuff.

PS: Ideally the lower the price the better, but I'd rather spend 520$ on a better amp than 450$ on a shittier one, but I would not spend 550$ on a better amp when another one that is 520$ will suffice.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:59 pm 

Buy a Peavey Windsor, $300 brand new at Musicians Friend. You'll want an overdrive pedal, like the Ibanez TS-9, to get enough gain for extreme metal.

Save up a tiny bit more cash and buy a used Mesa or Marshall 1960 cabinet. You can get a Mesa for $400-500, and a Marshall 1960 from 300-400 if you look on Craigslist and wait for a good deal to come up.

If you spend less you will get a shitty amp. There aren't any two ways about it unfortunately.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.