Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ROBL250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:00 pm 

So I bought a Drum Kit (second hand) out the local paper which is now in my room, however with my lack of expertise in this section of musicianship I was curious to know whats the best way of starting out in learning the basics. I have basic chord theories and Tablature with being self-taught on Guitar but obviously Drums are entirely a new concept to me.
Any do's/dont's, simple tips or directions in where to go would be most useful in starting off. Im not looking to do blastbeats or thousands of RPM beats a minute, just simple drumming like with Primordial songs.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:22 pm 

A metronome is essential, if you don't own one, invest in one, it is essential to learning drums!

Find a book or website that you like with basic drum beats for beginners, start with the basics in 4/4, and don't rush yourself - precise timing at slower speeds rather than simply playing fast is important.

Taking a few lessons to start a new instrument is always helpful, as long as you have a good instructor. Get a feel for the instrument, then have someone who is well-versed in drumming make sure you aren't making any technical mistakes and guide you in the right direction for learning. Make sure you find a qualified instructor, someone who has been educated in teaching music - some people can play well but don't know how to analyze and assist a student, and it is worth a bit of inconvenience or added cost for their teaching. I recommend taking 4 lessons after you get a feel for drumming, proper technique is the foundation of playing any instrument, and it is difficult to correct if you have been doing something wrong for a long time.

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:36 am 

Sound advice Zodijackyl.

Just to add to that, the best thing you can do is totally immerse yourself in the world of drumming. Don't rely on a teacher to lay it all out for you, sign up for lots of drum forums (www.drummerworld.com should be your first port of call) and start asking questions and reading all the posts.

Start watching classic drummers on youtube, try to pick out what drummers are doing when you listen to music, starting thinking like a drummer. There are absolutely loads of free lessons on youtube too, here are a few technique based ones that you might find helpful...

Hand technique (this is part 1 of 3):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUPu9yA_-7Q

Foot technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY0oNl2f ... L&index=31

Above all, take it slow, be patient, focus on getting the basics down pat.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:46 pm 

Holding your stick correctly is key. Watch your posture. Learn it as soon as possible, because if you have any bad habits when you're learning, they could slow you down in the long run...and they can be hard to break.

I second the metronome thing. Don't procede without one. You'll probably use it for years to come.

I guess I don't have anything new to say that hasn't been said. Those videos posted are good ones. You're going to want to get behind the drums and bash the shit out of them, but you have to take it slow, learn the basics, etc... It seems you're already a musician, so this isn't a new concept for you.

ROBL250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:09 pm 

Thanks for the replies, Im lucky in the fact that aside from self-teaching I also have a friend who is willing to help show me a few basics for next to nothing such as 4/4 techniques and mastering basic rhythms.
I wouldnt say im a musician as such as I just really mess about and play really basic chords on Guitar and play the occasional intro/chorus to Indie songs (although im always learning new things as I go along.)
Its just I have too much time on my hands these days and might aswell use it wisely building up arm strength aswell as perfecting other skills that may come in useful later, afterall theres a million lead Guitarists out there and only a handful of drummers that I know of personally.

Mike999
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:59 pm 

There isn't much to learn...Just play songs you like, I mean seriously it's not really like guitar where you need tabs to a song, just listen to the beat and then play it. I started just playing songs I liked and 6 years later I can play anything..and I've never played with a metronome, staying on beat isn't hard.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:05 am 

Mike999 wrote:
There isn't much to learn

...and I've never played with a metronome, staying on beat isn't hard.

I agree. Drumming is easy and metronomes are unnecessary.
:roll:

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.