Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Anthelnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:55 am 

I'm thinking of buying this guitar and would like to know if anyone here owns it or has experience with it. Mainly I would like to know if the trem abuse detunes it quickly, as well as how well the guitar handles low tunings (B or C standard).

Another guitar I am considering is the Ibanez RG1570, although it is quite a bit more expensive than the Jackson.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:02 am 

In general, Floyd Rose copies tend to not respond too well to heavy use/abuse, and they can be difficult to work with when using heavier/higher tension strings for heavy downtuning (higher tension helps control string vibration etc). If you are going to use a Floyd style bridge and abuse it, you should go for an original.

The Dinky guitars seem to respond fairly well to downtuning though, Scott Hull uses a Dinky production model with some sort of tremolo system (or as he calls it, a wang bar), as well as a COW production series and a COW series custom. He tunes the 7 strings down a full step, though the fixed bridge ones have been his primary guitars.

The Ibanez Edge trem system is questionable, some people like it, some hate it, and all of the low end ones break VERY easily. I'm not familiar with this particular model, but I haven't liked the low-mid end Ibanez guitars that I have played.

The best test of a lot of the floyd clone/copy systems is to ask a guitar store employee about tuning them - they generally don't stay in tune, especially with abuse. If you are going to tune down and abuse the trem, you are going to need to spend a bit extra to get an Original Floyd Rose - it is worth it. Your other options are fixed bridge and Kahler trems (I love these), worth looking into of course!

Third_of_the_Storms
Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:10 am 

I would go with the Ibanez. The Edge Pro trem on the RG1570, whilst not being the best design Ibanez has ever come up with, is reliable and stays in tune very well when set up properly. Not only that, but it uses saddle inserts which are replacable when worn. However, I would look into a used one as Ibanez guitars are extremely overpriced this year.

By contrast, the trem on the DK2M is absolute garbage. I had to replace the trem on my DK2 after only four months as I just couldn't deal with it anymore. Luckily I had an OFR Pro lying around from a previous project.

Anthelnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:27 pm 

Sweet as, I've been looking around a bit and I'm probably going to get the Ibanez. Hopefully I can find it second hand somewhere, because it's selling for about $1300 AUD at the local music store.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:21 pm 

Anthelnor wrote:
Sweet as, I've been looking around a bit and I'm probably going to get the Ibanez. Hopefully I can find it second hand somewhere, because it's selling for about $1300 AUD at the local music store.

Instrument prices are extremely high in Australia, the same model is widely available for $749USD, and it can be found cheaper new. A used guitar is a good choice, but it can be hard to find a specific model in good condition. If you find one with a good neck and body, consider that the international shipping cost of smaller parts like a trem system/bridge and pickups are cheaper, if you can get the guitar cheaper because of that, you can also upgrade (though bridge swaps can be tough unless it's a floyd copy to an original, etc).

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.