Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Terry_F
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:01 pm 

Head and cab i was just wondering if this would be anygood for Thrash/Speed metal i know Kerry King used them before his signature amp an it sounds great, just wondering if any Thrash/Speed players recomend it or have any suggestions to make it better?

Thanks

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:06 pm 

They are godly amps, don't expect to get anything close to a thrash tone until you crank the volume though. Cranked you can get a Kill 'em All tone, but I suggest a boost or overdrive pedal. Tubescreamers usually did the job back in the day.

Terry_F
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:08 pm 

thanks alot man am gettin it pritty cheap of a guy a knw £500 FOR THE SET somebody i know recomended i line 6 uber metal, anygood?
but i will check the tube screamer definatly

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:18 pm 

Terry_F wrote:
thanks alot man am gettin it pritty cheap of a guy a knw £500 FOR THE SET somebody i know recomended i line 6 uber metal, anygood?
but i will check the tube screamer definitely

Line 6 may be a little too much. You could get the exact Deathcrush tone with something like that, but for a classic thrash sound, an overdrive would be better than a distortion pedal.

Terry_F
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 pm 

thanks again

Shorgorath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:34 pm 

toxic holocaust uses them

Terry_F
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:37 pm 

know of anybody else?

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:54 pm 

Terry_F wrote:
know of anybody else?

The whole Bay Area scene used these, as well as bands like Hellhammer, Kreator, Sodom, and most of the Brazilian scene.

Terry_F
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:58 pm 

excellent Kreators tone kicks ass would you happen to know there early
set up? before they became rich and could afford things that i can't on subway wages

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:01 pm 

Terry_F wrote:
excellent Kreators tone kicks ass would you happen to know there early
set up? before they became rich and could afford things that i can't on subway wages

Their tone sounds on Endless Pain sounds like a guitar with single coils.

Terry_F
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:16 pm 

so recomended then?

3EyedGoat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:19 am 

My favorite amps of all time.
What year is the one you're
looking at?

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:58 am 

Terry_F wrote:
so recomended then?

Single coil pickups AREN'T recommended. I recommend getting a low wattage JCM, by the way. That way the tubes will shine at a lower volume.

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:27 am 

I use JCM-800 the original one (100 WT), not some chinese re-issue, for like 3 years. It is coupled with 4*12 angled cab.

Sometimes this amp can sound too bright, to an extent of causing discomfort. The master volume knob and pre-amp knobs both effect the tone. Boosting the master volume will give more trebble, boosting the pre-amp knob will give more low end. The amount of gain varies form the lamps used. With high output PU's and a well built guitar it is possible to get the Thrash tone straight from the amp. Might not sound as powerful as with a pedal, but it works.

The amp we use for some reason does not "like" a combination of some distortion units and cheap PU's. For example my guitar player uses some low grade Jackson Kelly replica, equipped with no-name PU's and when he plugs into BOSS HM-2 he gets an unusable sound. The same guitar works fine with BOSS OS-2 and to lesser extent with BOSS MT-2. With EMG HZ PU's I have on one of my guitars, the amp sounds good with any pedal.

The amp is quite versatile tone wise. You can get both acoustic sounding tone from clean channel with low pre-amp volume and bright sounding saturated sound with the pre-amp volume on the same channel rolled up. And as I stated above on overdrive channel you can get a sound that would be suitable for playing metal.

jedimasterhassan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:58 am 

probably the best amp ever made for any type of heavy music. it'll give you any sound from classic rock-full on death metal. and btw kerry king still uses the jcm 800, thats what his signature amp is. pretty much EVERY classic metal album that you love the guitar tone on from the early 80's was recorded with a jcm 800 (or later series marshall jmp master volume series, which was very similar) so there's really no way to go wrong with it. and like another poster said, you'll have to crank it to get the best sound, which is fucking LOUD. if you keep the volume low and use a tubescreamer as a boost it works perfectly. the tubescreamer is the only pedal i would trust for that job, since it doesn't color your tone at all, it just boosts the sound you already have

Terry_F
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:33 am 

Thanks alot everyone, to the post up there am not sure what the year is but the person i am buying it off is in his 40's so hopefully it will not be the reissue. And its a 2x12 cab which should do me for gigs ect.

Joonyah
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:20 pm 

Pretty sweet amp. A lot of people mod them to get different sounds out of them, like Kerry King uses KT88 power tubes, and Dino Cazares use a modded one on the first Fear Factory album. For being a single channel amp you can go a lot of different directions with it.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:16 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
They are godly amps, don't expect to get anything close to a thrash tone until you crank the volume though. Cranked you can get a Kill 'em All tone, but I suggest a boost or overdrive pedal. Tubescreamers usually did the job back in the day.

And they still do. A tubescreamer's just a great thing to have. Even a cheap TS7 will do the job. It's great if you're on tour and having to borrow other amps.

shibby2441
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:30 pm 

DO NOT buy an uber metal pedal.

bloody_spike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:43 pm 

Joonyah wrote:
Pretty sweet amp. A lot of people mod them to get different sounds out of them, like Kerry King uses KT88 power tubes, and Dino Cazares use a modded one on the first Fear Factory album. For being a single channel amp you can go a lot of different directions with it.

Single channel? So, it doesn't have on-board distortion?

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:18 pm 

bloody_spike wrote:

It does have distortion, but a good bit of the sound is power tube distortion which doesn't kick in until the volume is pretty damn high. The single channel can go from clean tones to distorted tone.

NeglectedField wrote:
And they still do. A tubescreamer's just a great thing to have. Even a cheap TS7 will do the job. It's great if you're on tour and having to borrow other amps.

A tubescreamer won't really add a ton of distortion, or character, it usually just tightens the amp up and adds a bit of midrange grittiness.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:59 am 

It is a very solid amp for a thrash tone, scooped or with a bit heavier mid range. Works great without a pedal for me.

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:12 am 

mattp wrote:
bloody_spike wrote:

It does have distortion, but a good bit of the sound is power tube distortion which doesn't kick in until the volume is pretty damn high. The single channel can go from clean tones to distorted tone.

It is a Two Channel amp. The channels go as follows : Low and High. If you plug guitar into high channel and turn the pre-amp knob to 10, there will be no need to crank the volume up, unless you want to get deaf. The resulting tone is pretty useless I would say : tonns of lows, soaring highs and barely any mids. At best this tone will do (after some fine tuning) for some low gain heavy metal.

Spinning the pre-amp knob you "controll" the lows and to some extent a tiny bit of mids. The master knob "controlls" highs. That all besides the main duties.

ZekeOfThrash
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:21 pm 

VoiVod's Piggy used a JCM800. He had a genius set up to go with it, too.

http://voivod.net/info/interviews/1993_12_Guitar_Interview.php

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.