Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Exzuriel
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:00 am 

I need absolutely idiot proof step-by-step instructions on how to do this. I've checked around youtube and google, and haven't had much luck finding a video or tutorial I understand. However, there is a slight possibility I'm retarded and missed a good one. I would be really greatful if someone on here could walk me through it, or provide a link to a place that does so in the manner I require. It's in standard E now, want to switch it for standard D or C, if that matters at all. It's also a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR, if you need to know the make of the guitar for anything. I've had the guitar about a year, and I've just about given up on trying to do this on my own. I'd really rather not take it in to have it professionally set up, because I'm a hobo. Help a brotha out.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:25 am 

...you can afford a C-1 Hellraiser but can't afford a professional setup?

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:10 am 

Trawl google for guides. I must warn you, the process takes a lot of patience, and setting intonation will certainly not be easy. I've brought my guitar in to luthiers for work on them in the past and even they've been like "please don't tell me it's a floyd :puppy:"

Do you use the trem at all? If not, it's best to block it off and save yourself half the hassle.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:54 am 

It really isn't that difficult. The Floyd Rose website has a good guide on set up, and there are tons of good guides on youtube and Google. Just find one and give it a shot.

Exzuriel
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:47 pm 

mattp wrote:
It really isn't that difficult. The Floyd Rose website has a good guide on set up, and there are tons of good guides on youtube and Google. Just find one and give it a shot.

I'm unaware as to if you actually read my post or not, but if you did, you would see that I looked, and I can't find one that's easy enough for me to follow on my own. The floyd rose website is a little vague at parts, last time I checked. I'll look again, but I doubt they did much in the past few weeks.

Back on topic, can anyone please take a little time to explain this to me? I'd really appreciate it. Links to guides are fine too, just make sure they're easy to follow, thanks!

NeglectedField wrote:
Trawl google for guides. I must warn you, the process takes a lot of patience, and setting intonation will certainly not be easy. I've brought my guitar in to luthiers for work on them in the past and even they've been like "please don't tell me it's a floyd :puppy:"

Do you use the trem at all? If not, it's best to block it off and save yourself half the hassle.

Hahaha, yeah I use it, frequently enough that I need this help!

AppleQueso wrote:
...you can afford a C-1 Hellraiser but can't afford a professional setup?

I'm not sure where you live, but here in America, the economy resembles something much like a lump of dog shit I found on my lawn this morning. So no, I don't have a spare 20-50$ sitting around for something I'm sure I could do on my own, with some instruction.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:40 pm 

Exzuriel wrote:
mattp wrote:

I'm unaware as to if you actually read my post or not, but if you did, you would see that I looked, and I can't find one that's easy enough for me to follow on my own. The floyd rose website is a little vague at parts, last time I checked. I'll look again, but I doubt they did much in the past few weeks.

If you can't figure out how to set up a FR bridge from any of the good guides already on the internet, asking us won't help you either.

Third_of_the_Storms
Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:08 pm 

1. Get a heavier gauge string (.10s for D, .11s for C)

2. Take the backplate off the guitar. Loosen each screw 3 turns. Tune your guitar back to the desired tuning and see how level the angle on your trem is.

3. Adjust the the screws accordingly (remember, tightening them will increase the tension whilst loosening them will relieve it). You want the trem to sit with the knife edges parallel to the posts.

Once you've got that far you can worry about intonation.

Exzuriel
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:31 am 

Third_of_the_Storms wrote:

2. Take the backplate off the guitar. Loosen each screw 3 turns. Tune your guitar back to the desired tuning and see how level the angle on your trem is.

3. Adjust the the screws accordingly (remember, tightening them will increase the tension whilst loosening them will relieve it). You want the trem to sit with the knife edges parallel to the posts.

Loosen the springs 3 turns? Also, should I have my strings off when I do this? And why 3 turns, is that specifically for D or C, or just a general range for moderate down tuning?

Third_of_the_Storms
Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:19 am 

Exzuriel wrote:
Third_of_the_Storms wrote:

Loosen the springs 3 turns? Also, should I have my strings off when I do this? And why 3 turns, is that specifically for D or C, or just a general range for moderate down tuning?

It's more or less an approximate range for downtuning. You'll have to readjust when you retune, but you'll be a little closer to the target. It doesn't particularly matter if your strings are on or off, but make sure you stretch each string thoroughly before locking the nut again; otherwise you'll be tuning and retuning for about a week, heh.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.