Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rehab2021
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:13 pm 

So, a friend of mine asked me to play with him this weekend at a show, but it isn't metal; it's mostly chord based rock and whatnot, fairly easy and mainstream material. However, I don't know a couple of these chords - for example, the C#m or the F#m. My primary dilemma is that I'm having a little trouble finding the chord diagrams for the sharp-minor chords, but of course I already know the regular diagrams. Could I take a Cm chord, for example, and move it up one half-step to produce a C#m?

Shorgorath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:15 pm 

yes

rehab2021
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:17 pm 

Sweet; thanks for the quick answer, I appreciate it. I apologize for posting such an amateur question, it's just that I'm primarily a lead player so I've never faced proper chords, just power chords and such.

Parasiticus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:46 am 

Well I won't go into my confusion of a lead player not knowing chords, seeing as all melody is based on chords, but anyway...

Learn the major and minor triads. Learn at least one shape with the root note(I or i) on the bottom, and you can move them around anywhere on the fretboard. It may not sound terribly smooth, but you have less than a week so you pretty much have no choice. You say you know the diagrams, and yes they are movable, but chords are supposed to change with as little voice movement as possible, so you need to know all of the inversions.

Alternately learn the 2 basic shapes for each of the major and minor barre chords(4 total you will have to learn). There is a shape for the root on the E string, and one for root on the A string for major and minor respectively. I will leave it to you to google the shapes, there are a million sites with barre chords and triad forms. I highly doubt you will be able to develop the finger strength to pull this off in less than a week, because barre chords can be painful for a beginner.

Also, go take guitar lessons. What you are asking is as basic as basic can be, and if you don't know it soon, you aren't going to get very far as a player.
Download Parasiticus_The Transient Nature of What We Build 192kpbs.mp3

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:55 am 

Funny you should mention power chords, because they're the same thing as what you're asking about: finger shapes that you can move up and down the neck.

You can in theory play regular chords the same way you do power chords, but I don't recommend it because you'll cut the crap out of your finger doing all those barres.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.