Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 111864
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:06 am 

After listening to your comments I decided to rewrite some of my songs.
First of them is the one entitled "Nor Savant" and I would be happy if you can comments which things should I change. The new version is in guitar pro, and I would record it after hearing your comments.

http://www.myspace.com/apocalypse4band

"nor savant (new version guitar pro)"

~Guest 111864
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:45 pm 

Any comments please?

Nordvang
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:27 pm 

The sound is so awful that its impossible to hear if the song is any good.

~Guest 111864
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:53 pm 

Nordvang wrote:
The sound is so awful that its impossible to hear if the song is any good.

Yeah, probably. I would record it then. I can hear the song, but maybe it is because I know every note in it even without listening. Thnx for the comment, however.

Btw, if somebody can hear it, please comment.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:01 pm 

The sound really isn't that bad.

The song is kind of okay. It's quite weird, though. There are a few good riffs, and it seems to change genre every five seconds, one riff sounds like a mix of later-Death and Pearl Jam. The transitions are terrible, so practice that a bit more, because it sounds like Mikael Akerfeldt's song transitions.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:57 pm 

Its a lot better than the older material. Transitions are still your weak point.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 111864
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:30 am 

Thank you all, your comments are better than I expected, btw :). As for transitions, I would do my best to change it.

Any more oppinions, please?

Btw, which one riff sounds like mix of late Death and Pearl Jam, in your oppinion, and between which genres it changes, tell me, please?

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:47 pm 

Lord_Sauron wrote:
Thank you all, your comments are better than I expected, btw :). As for transitions, I would do my best to change it.

Any more oppinions, please?

Btw, which one riff sounds like mix of late Death and Pearl Jam, in your oppinion, and between which genres it changes, tell me, please?

The riff at 1:41

Seitengewehr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:00 pm 

Not bad....Iagree that the song changes it's genre....liked the part from 2-50

~Guest 111864
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:01 pm 

Seitengewehr wrote:
Not bad....Iagree that the song changes it's genre....liked the part from 2-50

Thank you :)

TheClansman
IM AN INTARWEB TUFF GUY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:05 pm 

The drums are godawful, and I'm not just talking about the sound quality here. Any atmosphere that might have been created is just destroyed by the poorly timed and generally mindless beats. The guitar is sloppy as all hell which is frustrating beyond belief as even if the riffs were decent the playing ruins them in ways I can't even begin to describe. As already stated the transitions are very weak and need work, and I'd say that all the 'leads' (for lack of a better term) are pretty terrible.

D-, as this sounds like the result of multiple drunkards who've never played instruments before recording the results of screwing around at random. Back to the drawing board in my opinion.

Terminus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:01 pm 

TheClansman wrote:
The drums are godawful, and I'm not just talking about the sound quality here. Any atmosphere that might have been created is just destroyed by the poorly timed and generally mindless beats. The guitar is sloppy as all hell which is frustrating beyond belief as even if the riffs were decent the playing ruins them in ways I can't even begin to describe. As already stated the transitions are very weak and need work, and I'd say that all the 'leads' (for lack of a better term) are pretty terrible.

D-, as this sounds like the result of multiple drunkards who've never played instruments before recording the results of screwing around at random. Back to the drawing board in my opinion.

Well, it could be THIS...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P07Di283vfw

~Guest 111864
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:48 am 

TheClansman wrote:

THis is not even recorded, it is from Guitar Pro 5.2 with RSE.

MonsterOfTheLake
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:34 am 

Terminus wrote:
TheClansman wrote:

Well, it could be THIS...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P07Di283vfw

That's fantastic =D
* veganzombie has quit IRC (Quit: Graaaaaaaiiiiinnssss.....)

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:15 pm 

You really, really need to structure your songs, and you really need to learn how to structure your riffs. You can't just have a wild drum beat with a wild guitar riff, that's not what songs are. It has to have structure, and this doesn't. It sounds like a bunch of different songs all mixed into one, and the drums have no actual point at all, they don't lead to anything and it just sounds like they're there to give the guitar something to shoot for, and that doesn't work. All your instruments must be involved, they need to have structure, I can't stress that enough. Until you learn more about song writing and structuring, I'd try to create less complicated songs, shorter, and just try to make as best sounding as you can. It doesn't matter how many songs you create, it matters how good the music is. If you have 15 shitty songs, it wouldn't evematter, but if you had 1 good one, people would actually like it, and it would be a hit. You gotta look at your writing skills deeply here if you ever want to make something that people are gonna enjoy, and will want to listen to. I seriously implore you, because I know that you are very persistent, and I know that you really want to create music for people to listen to. Just keep trying, and take note of people's advice on here. There's some very talented guys on this forum, so use what they're telling you. They're not just blowing smoke out of their asses eh.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

Nhorf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:00 pm 

There are some pretty cool ideas and riffs on that song, but the transitions and the song structure are absolutely chaotic (and I like Opeth). Anyways, there ARE some good moments on that tune, so carry on, keep working :beer:

----------------
Now playing: Arvo Pärt - Fratres (for violin and piano)

SHIBbYinc7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:06 am 

hey man! glad to see that you are enjoying the process of writing music, but as to my opinion of the song, it needs work. I know that sucks to hear but what it really seems like is that you (by the way programming on guitar pro was always difficult for me so way to go getting that down) have WAY to many idea's for one song, you have to slow down focus on one idea and make that idea work for the song. It also wouldn't hurt to take some professional guitar lessons. A good teacher could help you infinitely more than I EVER could. Don't give up though! keep working at it and you will get better.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.