Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
barrysavage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:54 pm 

Down tuning is standard these days and all of you that do it are well aware of the nightmares this brings from finding the right stings to re-adjusting truss rods and intonations etc… even if you use a tune-o-matic fixed bridge as soon as you start to tune below (D) the intonations go beyond the range of the bridge saddles and the only solution is to use heavier gauge strings.
Tuning down to (A) ive been using a 7 string Jackson, but im really not comfortable using a 7 string guitar, im so used to playing 6 strings automatic that after a short time playing 7 strings regardless of how good the guitar is starts to be not much fun for me. (maybe a sign im getting old and to set in my ways). But after looking at my Les Paul for a bit and pondering on the idea for a solution i got a set of the Zakk Wylde GHS signature roundwound guitar strings, i took only the .070 sixth string then using a set of D`addario 0.10 to 0.52 strings which i often use i set up the guitar with the Zakk Wylde .070 as the sixth string tuned to (A) the D`addario .052 as the fifth string tuned to (D) the .042 as a fourth string tuned to (G) the .030 as the third tuned to (C) the .017 as the second tuned to (E) and finally the .013 as the first string tuned to (A), and guess what! It works, all of the intonations come back within the the range of the bridge saddles, the string tension is not bad and as a bonus the harmonics ring. The only problem was that the .070 sixth string cracked my ceramic top nut, but i replaced it with a brass one and cut a groove so that the string sits in place and does not pop out of the nut everytime you give it a good slap.
When I did a test with my valve head and 4x12 cabinet i was quite satisfied, this was the closest guitar sound to war that ive ever had...
Ive only done this to my Les Paul with a tune-o-matic bridge ive never tryed this with a Floyd Rose as ive already cracked enough bridge blocks when ive tuned to (C) and this is expensive...:confused:

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:34 am 

No.

Solution7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:12 am 

Eh, I can't have the patience to sit down and read that long thing without paragraphs, But on the whole 7 and 8 string thing, 6 strings will always be the main thing for really any kind of music, For 8 strings well... No.
For 7 strings I personally use one and it feels like I'm missing something on a 6.

All and all Playing a 7 string isn't the same sound as playing a B Standard 6 string. I prefer 7 strings dropped down one whole step, I find that I am a lot more creative with it. But a 7 or 8 will never replace a 6, I use both the same amount.

Siege_of_Troy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:27 pm 

I say no, due to the fact that the 6 string design has been in use for so long. I personally find 8 strings taking the idea a little too far, as well as having potential to become unnecessarily expensive. 6 strings has worked for years, and will continue to be the standard for most guitarists.

TheClansman
IM AN INTARWEB TUFF GUY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:48 pm 

Solution7 wrote:
Eh, I can't have the patience to sit down and read that long thing without paragraphs.

This (although I skimmed through the original post). I highly doubt 7 string guitars + 8 string guitars are ever going to come close to displacing 6 string guitars. Speaking personally, I hate the sound of them in the first place (in the same way I hate most music drop-tuned to B or A) and I have a funny feeling I'm not alone. Beyond that they end up being tools for wankery the majority of the time anyway, which likely limits their appeal to a lot of people.

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:03 pm 

I suppose a 7-string appeals to people because it gives you a downtuned sound while leaving your EADGBE string configuration intact. It's a pain in the ass trying to play a song written in E-Standard on a guitar tuned to open-B.

Leviathus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:54 pm 

I have to admit, i am a fan of the 7 string guitar. After i saw the music video for steve vai's "for the love of god" i pretty much gawked at the sight of an ibanez universe (still do). They are great for expanding the number of passages you can play on the guitar and help create new kinds of riffs that couldnt be done on a 6 string, or most likely wouldn't have been thought of.

The thing is a heavy stringed 6 string detuned will sound better than a seven string will, in my opinion anyway, so i don't look at the idea of a 7 string as just to get that extra low range of 5 extra notes. I think that people just keep pushing it as low as it can go just for the fuck of it. The thing is i've heard bands that play in standard and bands that play in B standard that both sound equivalently heavy. Guitars are getting strung into the lower octaves deeper and deeper, soon we wont need bass anymore.

And 8 string guitars.... just get the hell out. Go to your local Guitar Center and see if you can find one of these things. They're completely ridiculous. the low strings flap in the breeze and..... god just see for yourself.

WarriorOfMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:21 pm 

Leviathus wrote:
I have to admit, i am a fan of the 7 string guitar. After i saw the music video for steve vai's "for the love of god" i pretty much gawked at the sight of an ibanez universe (still do). They are great for expanding the number of passages you can play on the guitar and help create new kinds of riffs that couldnt be done on a 6 string, or most likely wouldn't have been thought of.

The thing is a heavy stringed 6 string detuned will sound better than a seven string will, in my opinion anyway, so i don't look at the idea of a 7 string as just to get that extra low range of 5 extra notes.

How do you justify this last comment? A 7 can sound every bit as good, if not better, than a downtuned 6, and vice versa. It all comes down to what strings you use, and what woods the guitar is made of, and a number of other factors.

Quote:
I think that people just keep pushing it as low as it can go just for the fuck of it. The thing is i've heard bands that play in standard and bands that play in B standard that both sound equivalently heavy. Guitars are getting strung into the lower octaves deeper and deeper, soon we wont need bass anymore.

Bass sounds entirely different from guitar...it's more than just the notes. The (typically 34-35") scale length of most basses, combined with the much larger strings (which are made differently), and the pickups are a big part of this.

Quote:
And 8 string guitars.... just get the hell out. Go to your local Guitar Center and see if you can find one of these things. They're completely ridiculous. the low strings flap in the breeze and..... god just see for yourself.

Floppy strings can be easily remedied by increasing the string gauge. Plus, some people tune 8-strings with a low string and a high string, instead of two lower strings (although most people go for the latter).

You're making some insane arguments that are surprising to me, considering that you say you like 7-strings.

danieljohnpaul
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:27 pm 

Im not comfortable on the 7 & 8 string gizmo's .... 6 strings just feel natural ..and ment to be i guess ...

Architect696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:19 pm 

Seven strings are acceptable in terms of playing and looks. and 8 strings are ridiculous. It's so un-guitar like and ugly.

Forrizzledog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:49 am 

Architect696 wrote:
It's so un-guitar like and ugly.

So are tubas but people play those.

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:18 am 

I don't know, there's something fascinating about a guitar neck wide enough to be a skateboard.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uV1AHNirC ... re=related

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:21 pm 

8-strings are good for some experimental grooving but not easy to apply to 'normal' rock and metal as far as really making the most of the range goes. I think 7-strings will be as frequent as they are at the moment.

mr6ix
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:31 am 

A great number of guitarist never master the 6 string let alone a 7.
People will more than likely stick with the 6 string.

I use both equally as I prefer not to drop tune that low on my 6 strings.

barrysavage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:43 pm 

thanks everybody for the opinions, its interesting, but one point, its true you dont always have to tune so low to be heavy, Pantera and Dimmu Borgir tune to E but are still very heavy, also painkiller by Judas Priest is another good example... im happy to hear most guitarist still prefer the standard 6 string, i was starting to think im to old and out of touch, i play for many years but i still have lots to learn on a 6 string im also not a fan of more than 24 frets this is starting to be standard on many Ibanez and ESP guitars, im happy with 6 strings and 22 frets...

thanks everyone for the replys

barrysavage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:16 pm 

good point, next time ill do paragraphs...
Solution7 wrote:
Eh, I can't have the patience to sit down and read that long thing without paragraphs, But on the whole 7 and 8 string thing, 6 strings will always be the main thing for really any kind of music, For 8 strings well... No.
For 7 strings I personally use one and it feels like I'm missing something on a 6.

All and all Playing a 7 string isn't the same sound as playing a B Standard 6 string. I prefer 7 strings dropped down one whole step, I find that I am a lot more creative with it. But a 7 or 8 will never replace a 6, I use both the same amount.

barrysavage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:26 pm 

NecroFile wrote:
I suppose a 7-string appeals to people because it gives you a downtuned sound while leaving your EADGBE string configuration intact. It's a pain in the ass trying to play a song written in E-Standard on a guitar tuned to open-B.

This is a good point to mention, and im sure this is the reason why many players will use a 7 string...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.