Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
crusthead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:05 am 

I have a project in the works. And my immediate goal is to just complete it and release a demo or two for free on the internet just to get feedback and have some sort of a presence in the underground. Ill think of expanding operations after I cross this personal milestone.
As of now, Im not really thinking of anything else, like getting signed or anything etc.
Even in the future, when I do get access to better equipment, I might just continue making metal for my own listening pleasure and just pass on phsyical copies to close friends. I am not too keen on "breaking through" into the music business or anything. (This is subject to change of course :D)

So, What are your current goals and plans for your projects?

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:42 am 

To actually get my ass in gear and record my full length.

Sunkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:07 am 

Finish up the last two songs for my set.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:04 am 

Record more material, improve the quality.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

wasteful
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:22 pm 

i've been doing solo projects (both metal non-metal) for about 6 years now, and i honestly get more and more disinterested in doing anything more than recording music for my own amusement.

i have a group of close friends whom i like to get comments from, so unless one of them chimes in about releasing it it rarely goes any farther than that.

i've never even bothered submitting anything to the archives here, or setting up a last.fm page... i suspect it wouldn't be too well-received (especially here on the archives) anyhow because most of my music is self-indulgent as hell.

my goal is to keep doing what i'm doing and maybe eventually release some vinyl. i haven't done any vinyl since in over 10 years, back when i played drums in an emo band, and it was pretty exciting for me.

Manic616
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:40 pm 

To stop being lazy and actually start writing again. I always tend to put it off and do something else instead.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:14 pm 

Well I've already had people offer to be session musicians...3 drummers, 1 bassist and just about enough material for a demo. I just need to continue working on stuff for the full-length. The demo recordings probably won't be released, just a personal rough demo to check out the songs and see that they're as good as can be before recording the full-length.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:57 pm 

To get out my negativity through music. I could care less about releasing tons of full lengths and getting huge, or whatever.
I just want to get some music made that really gets my expressions out.

Also note that my project is more of a hateful/depressive black metal project.

Siege_of_Troy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:01 pm 

To get beyond the first song, which I finished recently. I've spent a year writing music, and recording rough drafts, now I just need to buckle down and finish it, maybe find a band to help me perform it.

Also, I'm trying to stay out of the rut that has developed in the guitarist world. Too much technical shit, with focus on complexity rather than groove and feel. A smooth, simple, aggressive lead sound is what I'm trying to get down on tape.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:18 pm 

To finally get more recording done. One song of a three song demo/EP is done, haven't gotten around to doing the other 2. Not like I've not been doing anything, I've written alot more since then, including 6 songs for a second project and 2 for a third.

~Guest 153339
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:45 pm 

To record a couple more full lengths, give myself endless praise, not show anyone what I'm doing and I'll feel like the kvltest mothafucka alive.

thejestersgate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:49 pm 

First and foremost completely finish one song. I'm so wishy washy when it comes to riffs and arrangement I get lost connecting a bunch of riffs until I get to the point of saying is anyone really going to see this as it rightfully should.

Get it online to let people hear it would be the next step I guess, if it goes over well or not, start working on another song. Constantly working on songwritting and developing a sense of "style".

Deciding a direct musical path to take will be the biggest challenge because I love playing death metal, black metal, thrash metal and power metal, glam rock, classic rock, neoclassical good old heavy fucking metal.

Trying to work enough to save up cash to buy more gear is always a struggle. Shit is so expensive right now I'm looking at spending about 3500$ next year on a RR24 and Engl head to compliment my RR3 and my vader cab. Then I'll have to shell out another 250$ for a good bridge pickup. With the economy sucking ass I'm thinking about starting a cover band for money.

So If I can cover these goals in the upcoming year I will be that much further down my musical path and happy I've actually accomplished somthing other than musical masturbation.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:54 pm 

Jestergate -- $250 for a bridge pickup??? Are you mad? You can get great tone for under $100 if you watch eBay. Most non-boutique passive pickups sell for around $40-50 on there and a full set of active EMGs usually goes for less than $100.

thejestersgate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:05 pm 

I know, it's just that my girlfriend bought me a WCR Icebucker for my birthday and I slapped it in my RR3 and I'm in love. It sounds great on practice amp! Thanks for the input though I'm looking forward to letting you guys hear some stuff. I'm just now setting some riffs in arrangement with some call and anwser type vocals between my girlfriend and I.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:00 am 

Killer! I guess its "beauty and the beast" scream/sing type vocals?

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:06 am 

My goal is to get around to recording my first actual song, as opposed to the intro type song I have on my MySpace.

I even have it written!

Count_Grimith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:39 am 

mattp wrote:

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:41 am 

Work on my death/doom/whatever project with my friend from Jersey. I'm going to record all the instruments except bass, which is provided courtesy of a .WAV file sent over the internet. Should be fun.

~Guest 153339
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:30 am 

invoked wrote:
Work on my death/doom/whatever project with my friend from Jersey. I'm going to record all the instruments except bass, which is provided courtesy of a .WAV file sent over the internet. Should be fun.

Cool stuff, man. I'm doing something similair with a guy in Arizona. It's more experimental/ambient black metal, and he's providing ideas and sending them to me and I take those ideas and incorporate my own elements and re-record his ideas and spruce it up with my recording equipment.

thejestersgate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:48 am 

mattp wrote:
Killer! I guess its "beauty and the beast" scream/sing type vocals?

Yep you nailed it, she sings in a power metal band now so it I'm hoping for a smooth transfer.

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:37 am 

I need to get some god damn money so I can record real drums. I have the kit, but I don't have the mics to get the sound I want...

... and get more synths.

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:17 am 

crusthead wrote:
I have a project in the works. And my immediate goal is to just complete it and release a demo or two for free on the internet just to get feedback and have some sort of a presence in the underground. Ill think of expanding operations after I cross this personal milestone.
As of now, Im not really thinking of anything else, like getting signed or anything etc.
Even in the future, when I do get access to better equipment, I might just continue making metal for my own listening pleasure and just pass on phsyical copies to close friends. I am not too keen on "breaking through" into the music business or anything. (This is subject to change of course :D)

LOOL WHAT AN EPIC FAILURE.

You talking like someone gives a shit (or will give a shit) for your crappy recordings:
"Im not really thinking of anything else, like getting signed or anything etc. " / "I am not too keen on "breaking through" into the music business or anything. "

WHY SHOULD U THINK OF THAT U MIGHTY BLABBERMOUTH?
Even when you'll release your crappy demo via myspace or whatever, you won't have any chance. Your musicial skills probably sucks, your recording gear may suck as well, no one gonna give a shit for your weak attempt at writing metal music.
You won't have any "presence in the underground" you stupid ass teen because:
A)THERE ISN'T SUCH A THING CALLED UNDERGROUND NOWDAYS.
B)YOU SUCK.

There are mllions of freaks like you who releasing their crappy mp3's unto their myspaces and thinks that someone give a shit for them.
Let me tell you something, no, no one will ever give a shit for you.
Your "friends list" is just a group of other pricks like you who want to advertise their own "projects" as well and they won't listen your so called music for more than two seconds. You live in illusion, you live in fucking 2008, there is no chance for all these bedroom projects anymore.
There is no chance for metal music at all because all of these endless waves of F rated unorginalitiy and zero substance of creativeness that flooding the internet.

Go do your homerwork instead.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:00 am 

Human666 wrote:
crusthead wrote:

You talking like someone gives a shit (or will give a shit) for your crappy recordings:
"Im not really thinking of anything else, like getting signed or anything etc. " / "I am not too keen on "breaking through" into the music business or anything. "

Even when you'll release your crappy demo via myspace or whatever, you won't have any chance. Your musicial skills probably sucks, your recording gear may suck as well, no one gonna give a shit for your weak attempt at writing metal music.
B)YOU SUCK.

There are mllions of freaks like you who releasing their crappy mp3's unto their myspaces and thinks that someone give a shit for them.
Your "friends list" is just a group of other pricks like you who want to advertise their own "projects" as well and they won't listen your so called music for more than two seconds. You live in illusion, you live in fucking 2008, there is no chance for all these bedroom projects anymore.
There is no chance for metal music at all because all of these endless waves of F rated unorginalitiy and zero substance of creativeness that flooding the internet.

Encouraging. :P
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:24 am 

Human666 is just speaking from experience of making shitty, bedroom black metal and nobody giving two shits, ignore him.

crusthead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:03 pm 

Human666 wrote:
crusthead wrote:

Even when you'll release your crappy demo via myspace or whatever, you won't have any chance.

The reason being, Ive gotten deals for some of my electronica projects from some small label, but declined for my own reasons...
..and those same reasons will apply *when* and *if* my metal projects ever attract some small time label.

I obviously didnt mean "metal blade" or "razorback" when I said 'music business'.

human666 wrote:
Your musicial skills probably sucks,

Absolutely sucks compared to *insert your favourite guitarist*

I play simple power-chord based riffs, I can program drums and I can pull off growls to have a simple song going in a matter of hours. I dont have to rely on anyone else. Thats good enough for me, I think.

human666 wrote:
your recording gear may suck as well,

You win this one hands down.
It indeed does. I use my mp3 player to record in my BEDROOM!!!111
And dont even get me started on my freeware drum machine. :D

human666 wrote:
no one gonna give a shit for your weak attempt at writing metal music.

Look deep into my eyes and see if I care about people not giving a shit about what I do with MY music.

human666 wrote:
B)YOU SUCK.

human666 wrote:
There are mllions of freaks like you who releasing their crappy mp3's unto thdeir myspaces and thinks that someone give a shit for them.
Your "friends list" is just a group of other pricks like you who want to advertise their own "projects" as well and they won't listen your so called music for more than two seconds.

Now, Ill take this as sincere advice.
But.. I think I know how to work around myspace.

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... be#1034373
;)

human666 wrote:
You live in illusion, you live in fucking 2008, there is no chance for all these bedroom projects anymore.

Well, this is 2008.
Anyone can look up youtube to learn how to play guitar, download free-drum machines / recording programs.... then release it over myspace.
Further, he can always use forums like these to promote the project and even find someone to do the logo / artwork. From my perspective, that is a very good thing.
Dont see how that is the reason for metal "not having a chance" like you claim.

thejestersgate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:27 pm 

Human666 wrote:
crusthead wrote:

B)YOU SUCK.

For starters great job on pissing on yourself. Why would you write this foul of a gesture towards someone you don't even know unless you felt like this yourself? Secondly making music is fun. That's why people do it. That's why it exists. Nothing else matters. If it's not fun to you then odviously you've been forced into a trend by your peers to attempt to create music to feel "accepted" as cool. Which makes you lame, a poser, a faggot, which I hope isn't the case here. One more point, I won't cover all of them giving room for expansion on this debacle is that you can always start a band with your project and play out. That is if you have friends and don't live in alaska. This is even more fun. Getting to go out and play in front of people, drink and run a muck. It's fun. So bottom line here is everyone has their own reasons for making their own music so if your going to patronize or criticize someone, make that someone yourself!

weakling_goat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:49 pm 

A lota nice projects here :)

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:27 pm 

Let me tell ya something folks: (Nothing personal, btw)

Once you'll finally understand that *real* music supposed to be enjoyed by an audience besides the creator himself (or just take place somewhere over the net) then, and only then, you can start talking about creating music without make yourself look like a bored nerd who tries to compose music instead of playing WoW.

thejestersgate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:38 pm 

Well said. =)

Manic616
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:49 pm 

Human666 wrote:

Once you'll finally understand that *real* music supposed to be enjoyed by an audience besides the creator himself (or just take place somewhere over the net) then, and only then, you can start talking about creating music without make yourself look like a bored nerd who tries to compose music instead of playing WoW.

Well if you're just starting a band then you can have a legitimate goal of creating music. But alot of people, or at least some, have material out already though (myself included).

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:56 pm 

Human666 wrote:

Post your band dude! Let's hear your "real" music, since obviously all the "fake" music we're making doesn't cut it.

Prominence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:58 pm 

Human666, your attitude fucking sucks.
No underground? Are you fucking retarded? You just don't know about it because that's what it is - underground!

When you realize that everybody who DOES give two shits about the music industry is just a consumer-whore sheep, you'll stop being so fucking negative and trying to discourage the youth (who are fresh and green like myself and have endless possibilities of where they will grow to), why don't you just sit the fuck down and shut up, because I don't think they give two shits about how many plays their myspace gets. And if they do, fuck them too.

You have the idea completely wrong. The only important aspect to who your music impresses is yourself. If you make music to impress others but are not impressed yourself, what the fuck are you? If the artist likes their own creation, that's all that matters. This is ART. Industry destroys art.

EDIT:
^ exactly what matt said. talk is cheap, let's hear what you have DONE.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:30 pm 

Human666 wrote:

Lemme tell you something Human666 (COMPLETELY personal by the way).

You fucking suck and are rather amusing to be honest. You clearly have no conception of how "real music", as you put it, is created.

If you could comprehend the countless hours that myself and other dedicated bands such as Matt P have put into honing our craft, you would realize that we are not doing this for OTHERS but for ourselves. It is this personal bond between the true artist and his work that makes music such as metal so great, because it is HONEST.

Sadly, your statement clearly indicates that you have no idea why music is written, or what "real music" even is.

I await your reply. Try your fucking best.
Oh, and let's hear a tune or two.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:03 pm 

Ohh...I see things gets personal, well well.

Prominence ya little urchin :
"No underground? Are you fucking retarded? You just don't know about it because that's what it is - underground!"

I know where the underground exists- in your reckless imagination!
Underground is your substitutive word for what? MySpace? BlogSpot? YouTube?

If it is, then you are a dumb 17 yrs old who think he knows what an underground really is. The internet is like the most opposite thing of the term underground. The underground existed just before you were born, so don't blab too much.

Now as for your nihilistic approach of "I don't give a shit for what you think about my kvlt project! fuck u! rebel against all authorities! I'm so cool that I can play 2 different power chords at the same time!"
...it's just a pathetic excuse for you'r lack of any real musical ability.

"The only important aspect to who your music impresses is yourself."
Well, of course it's important if an artist likes his creation or not, but if it fails to impress anyone else but him, then he must not have that much of experience or talent.

thejuicebitch- Just heard your BBM myspace...wow, amazing, you are such a genius! It sounds exactly like other 666,666 BBM projects I've heard before...

WHERE THE HELL I SAID THAT MUSICIANS SHOUDLN'T CREATE MUSIC FOR THEMSELVES U DUMB ARSE???

I said real music should be heard and thus enjoyed by plural amount of people, not only by the one who created it, otherwise I don't see any reason if you create music so you can mastrubate while listening to it in your mp3 player. Music supposed to be heard by other people, otherwise you wouldn't upload ur evil music unto MySpace? Don't ya?

You wanna hear a tune or two?
Go ahead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0eh0b3GF_k

Trust me I've done better stuff than BBM (that I did once as a joke regarding some person while you doing under an illusion that you are a real artist instead of another trendy BM kiddy) long before your first response in this message board or the first "friend" you added to your MySpace list came to exist in your mighty "und3rgr0und!", but this is an inappropriate stage to promote it.

Plus, I don't have to be a carpenter to tell ya that your chair has only 3 legs. =)

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:14 pm 

Just so you know, my album can be purchased in stores.

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:17 pm 

thejuicebitch wrote:
Just so you know, my album can be purchased in stores.

Just so you know, my used condom can be purchased in eBay.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:58 pm 

Human666 wrote:
blah blah blah blah

Very nice, very nice, no songs, put up or shut up, etc. etc. etc.

I've got 27,000 plays on myspace and I've sold my demo internationally. I'm fairly confident that I destroy any stereotypes about solo artists you have.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:23 pm 

Guys, seriously, the best thing to do is just ignore retards and trolls. The thread had been puttering along nicely before; what's to stop you from brushing off his ridiculous stance and continuing as before? Nobody will think less of you if you don't crush asinine arguments point by point. He only wants to get a rise out of people.

mattp wrote:

Hurry up man! You got any kind of timeframe for this or is it all very distant goals at this stage? Got a lot of material written for it?

My goal for my drone project is to actually finish recording the piece I am working on-- it's been half-finished for a year and a half at this stage! I just don't have time to sit down and finish the vocal tracks. I can't see myself doing much with it other than sharing with friend and maybe eventually recording the REST of the demo, but there it is.

My band isn't going anywhere until we can find a drummer, then I guess gigging and maybe try to cut a better demo than our first one?

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:33 pm 

ForNaught wrote:
Guys, seriously, the best thing to do is just ignore retards and trolls. The thread had been puttering along nicely before; what's to stop you from brushing off his ridiculous stance and continuing as before?

My goal for my drone project is to actually finish recording the piece I am working on-- it's been half-finished for a year and a half at this stage! I just don't have time to sit down and finish the vocal tracks.

Yeah, in hindsight, should've ignored that asshole.

Vocals are the hardest part for me because of the lyric writing process, but a year and half is pushing it ;-)

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:37 pm 

ForNaught wrote:
Hurry up man! You got any kind of timeframe for this or is it all very distant goals at this stage? Got a lot of material written for it?

I've written all the music and prepared all the tracks for recording... I just have to record guitar parts, and get East West QLSO Silver so I can have more convincing orchestra parts. Then it will be done and you'll get to hear it.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next