Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mark777
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:08 pm
Posts: 131
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:58 pm 
 

Does anyone know a site/video that will teach me how to do black metal music? Guitar, vocals, etc.
_________________
goatmanejy wrote:
1.) They flash the corna and say in a gruff voice "Metal." Then, I talk about ti for a few minuites and dicover they think metal is lsipknot, Korn, As I lay Dying, etc.

Top
 Profile  
lornem16
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:26 pm
Posts: 114
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:35 pm 
 

donno about any websites, but Ihsahn has a column in Guitar World nowadays, so you could always check that out.

Top
 Profile  
Forrizzledog
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 11:32 am
Posts: 215
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:39 pm 
 

Just learn black metal songs if you wanna know how to play black metal.
_________________
lord_ghengis talking of Australian children's literature wrote:
Hell, we have children's books about multiple stabbings written by violent criminals called "Hooky The Cripple". None of this Waldo crap.

Top
 Profile  
goatmanejy
Village Idiot

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:38 am
Posts: 218
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:43 pm 
 

Its easy: Drums: od a lot of double-bassing and blastbeats
Vocals: High Pitched and Phlegmy (duh). Ideally, it should sound liike crap.
Guitars and bass pretty much just do a bunch of "frightening" half steps with tremelo picking.

I doubt it was helpful, but writing Black metal songs is one of the easiest things ive tried so far.
_________________
I Crown me Tarzan, King of Mars.
Lord Slop wrote:
Me likes loud music

Bezerko wrote:
"You're honour, I do believe that Slayer is fucking awesome. I rest my case."

Top
 Profile  
Sunkist
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:17 pm
Posts: 226
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:50 pm 
 

Forrizzledog wrote:
Just learn black metal songs if you wanna know how to play black metal.


QFT

Just play along with your favorite song or band and you'll catch on to the style.

Top
 Profile  
Kruel
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:56 pm
Posts: 3426
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:58 pm 
 

goatmanejy wrote:
Its easy: Drums: od a lot of double-bassing and blastbeats
Vocals: High Pitched and Phlegmy (duh). Ideally, it should sound liike crap.
Guitars and bass pretty much just do a bunch of "frightening" half steps with tremelo picking.

I doubt it was helpful, but writing Black metal songs is one of the easiest things ive tried so far.

But writing a good black metal song is not.

Top
 Profile  
bucfan5252
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:08 am
Posts: 166
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:21 am 
 

Kruel wrote:
goatmanejy wrote:
Its easy: Drums: od a lot of double-bassing and blastbeats
Vocals: High Pitched and Phlegmy (duh). Ideally, it should sound liike crap.
Guitars and bass pretty much just do a bunch of "frightening" half steps with tremelo picking.

I doubt it was helpful, but writing Black metal songs is one of the easiest things ive tried so far.

But writing a good black metal song is not.


This is true. Following that guys formula is going to make you sound just like the millions of generic myspace black metal bands. Expiriment, music shouldn't be formulaic. Anyways the best way to get a grasp for writing music is to look at how band you like(even non-black metal ones!) write their music. So basicaly learning to play songs of other bands will be of great help in your own writing process.

Top
 Profile  
EmperorMantus
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:56 pm
Posts: 115
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:47 am 
 

bucfan5252 wrote:
Kruel wrote:
goatmanejy wrote:
Its easy: Drums: od a lot of double-bassing and blastbeats
Vocals: High Pitched and Phlegmy (duh). Ideally, it should sound liike crap.
Guitars and bass pretty much just do a bunch of "frightening" half steps with tremelo picking.

I doubt it was helpful, but writing Black metal songs is one of the easiest things ive tried so far.

But writing a good black metal song is not.


This is true. Following that guys formula is going to make you sound just like the millions of generic myspace black metal bands. Expiriment, music shouldn't be formulaic. Anyways the best way to get a grasp for writing music is to look at how band you like(even non-black metal ones!) write their music. So basicaly learning to play songs of other bands will be of great help in your own writing process.


...and by generic i hope u aren't including "norsecore" bands...THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE <b>GOOD</b> "norsecore" bands OUT THERE!
=P
_________________
I Am A Vocalist.
My Bands:
Vetis
(http://www.myspace.com/vetisofficial)
Atrum Ventus (http://www.myspace.com/atrumventus)
Ex-Bands:
Emortus
(http://www.myspace.com/emortus) [My picture is taken down, but the tracks I did vocals on are still posted; the band is broken up]

Top
 Profile  
EmperorMantus
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:56 pm
Posts: 115
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:48 am 
 

goatmanejy wrote:
Its easy: Drums: od a lot of double-bassing and blastbeats
Vocals: High Pitched and Phlegmy (duh). Ideally, it should sound liike crap.
Guitars and bass pretty much just do a bunch of "frightening" half steps with tremelo picking.

I doubt it was helpful, but writing Black metal songs is one of the easiest things ive tried so far.


GOOD black metal, is complicated to write, and if you had written anything REALLY GOOD, you probably wouldn't be saying that it's SOOOOO easy...
_________________
I Am A Vocalist.
My Bands:
Vetis
(http://www.myspace.com/vetisofficial)
Atrum Ventus (http://www.myspace.com/atrumventus)
Ex-Bands:
Emortus
(http://www.myspace.com/emortus) [My picture is taken down, but the tracks I did vocals on are still posted; the band is broken up]

Top
 Profile  
Nolan_B
In League With Nolan

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:05 pm
Posts: 4365
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:59 am 
 

Tune to B standard and sing about war. It helps if you're from Canada.

Top
 Profile  
Grynfisher
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 93
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:15 am 
 

EmperorMantus wrote:
GOOD black metal, is complicated to write, and if you had written anything REALLY GOOD, you probably wouldn't be saying that it's SOOOOO easy...

Neither Darkthrone's nor Gorgoroth's music is especially complicated, off of the top of my head.

But if you need someone to teach you to play sufficiently in your genre of choice, you're probably better off choosing again.

Top
 Profile  
divine_torture
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:04 pm
Posts: 39
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:33 am 
 

The problem here is that there is no real formula for writing black metal music. It's all your own interpretation. Listen to Darkthrone, I Shalt Become, Shining... None of them sound the same, but all black metal. You can add so much to it and keep the core. I write a lot of stuff that sounds like slightly deathened BM, some rock/BM. Just depends on my mood. Whatever comes out. It's all from inside, not some formula based on Transylvanian Hunger or something. Listen to some stuff and see what you like, learn that a little, then play what sounds good to you.

Top
 Profile  
thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:07 am
Posts: 209
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:00 pm 
 

Be more descriptive as with what is troubling you about the style!!! I don't really understand the concept of people asking for help to play a certain style. Do some research yourself and put down the cheetos.

Top
 Profile  
ForNaught
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:37 pm
Posts: 1193
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:58 pm 
 

Grynfisher wrote:
EmperorMantus wrote:
GOOD black metal, is complicated to write, and if you had written anything REALLY GOOD, you probably wouldn't be saying that it's SOOOOO easy...

Neither Darkthrone's nor Gorgoroth's music is especially complicated, off of the top of my head.

But if you need someone to teach you to play sufficiently in your genre of choice, you're probably better off choosing again.


Darkthrone's at least is rife with subtle touches and delicate atmospheres, though. Complicated doesn't have to mean structurally or instrumentally complex. Good luck reaching the same calibre using goatman's formula.
_________________
Be my second.
RYM

Top
 Profile  
MusicalFreedom
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:54 pm
Posts: 65
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:37 pm 
 

I wouldn't advise trying to learn black metal "by the numbers", as sites / videos would tell you. You could play some typical black metal stuff, and that's great, but you might not come up with anything original. Not that originality is an absolute necessity, but it's nice.


What I WOULD advise is looking at the roots of black metal. I don't know what you've played, but I'd say look at thrash, punk, rock, and possibly blues if you want to go further back. You can't just "learn" black metal by viewing a video, for those videos contain no inspiration. That stuff is all by the numbers. There's a lot you can learn from history. By understanding at least some history of black metal and that which precedes it, you can make something more substantial.

You don't have to express direct influence in the black metal - you don't have to have a blues section or whatever in any of your songs - but subconciously it will influence, create a more well-rounded musician.


What I see is people saying "I will play black metal", before they really look at anything else. These people tend to create less inspired music, sticking more to the one influence of black metal. I don't see anything wrong with this, motivations and intentions for music creation vary vastly, but going further requires more understanding.


Also, don't write a genre. Write a song. Otherwise, if you are writing for a genre, just go with what you know and what you can learn from existing black metal. I can't link you to any videos, mostly because I don't know of any that would teach you the "black metal way", partly because ideally you should seek for yourself.

Top
 Profile  
Kruel
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:56 pm
Posts: 3426
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:15 pm 
 

ForNaught wrote:
Grynfisher wrote:
EmperorMantus wrote:
GOOD black metal, is complicated to write, and if you had written anything REALLY GOOD, you probably wouldn't be saying that it's SOOOOO easy...

Neither Darkthrone's nor Gorgoroth's music is especially complicated, off of the top of my head.

But if you need someone to teach you to play sufficiently in your genre of choice, you're probably better off choosing again.


Darkthrone's at least is rife with subtle touches and delicate atmospheres, though. Complicated doesn't have to mean structurally or instrumentally complex. Good luck reaching the same calibre using goatman's formula.

Yes, and in Gorgoroth's case one could argue that it is structurally developed.

Top
 Profile  
diabolikon
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:33 pm
Posts: 978
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:11 pm 
 

Tritones are obvious. Blastbeating too.
Just look up a bunch of black metal songs and you'll see a general pattern.

Top
 Profile  
AurvandiL
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:22 am
Posts: 1000
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:24 pm 
 

And I thought the "Ways to not become another shitty band." thread was horrible.... This is hopeless.

Top
 Profile  
PvtNinjer
Veteran

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:45 am
Posts: 2553
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:14 pm 
 

The only thing you could "learn" about playing a genre is really the fundaments that make a genre what it is. Honestly, you will be so shitty at first. Just take what you like, and write your own. At first it will be derivitive, plain, and well, just plain sucky. But over the years, if you keep writing songs, your influences will grow and so will your songwriting. It's all a process. You cannot expect a video that says "Tremolo these minor chords and screech over top" to teach you how to play and write good songs. Like others have said, learn your favorite bands songs and build from that.

Top
 Profile  
Nolan_B
In League With Nolan

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:05 pm
Posts: 4365
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:20 pm 
 

AurvandiL wrote:
And I thought the "Ways to not become another shitty band." thread was horrible.... This is hopeless.

What's wrong with asking for advice?

Top
 Profile  
AurvandiL
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:22 am
Posts: 1000
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:26 pm 
 

Mate, just.... forget it.

"How to be a fucking gimmick?" or "How to be an unoriginal cunt"...

What's wrong? You don't see what is wrong in asking "How to play black metal?" You honestly think black metal purpose is to have some sort of guideline? Well, I'll tell you what, there is. And it would be 'individualism'. While I may sound like a douche, it basically means to think for yourself, and not to rely on worthless advices given by peers.

Since individual thinking seem to have fled this forum, I see no interest in lingering on this any more....

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group