Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MethCooker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Posts: 28
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:58 am 
 

Hello, I recently started a little solo project on myspace and I'm curious to see what people think of it (especially metalheads such as yourselves). So far I've only written an extremely rough and short demo but I think it's turned out pretty well.

What you'll hear is the guitar work done on Guitar Pro because I don't have a microphone or anything and I don't know anything about recording. So uhh....maybe just try to imagine guitars playing the song instead of the shitty sounds that Guitar Pro offers.

I've just started writing the drums for it so I'll be updating the demo in a few days as well as writing the rest of the song.

So anyways here you go :) www.myspace.com/questioncreation

I'm aiming for Death Metal but if it sounds like something different you can inform me otherwise.

Top
 Profile  
bloody_spike
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:20 pm
Posts: 550
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:06 am 
 

MethCooker wrote:
Hello, I recently started a little solo project on myspace and I'm curious to see what people think of it (especially metalheads such as yourselves). So far I've only written an extremely rough and short demo but I think it's turned out pretty well.

What you'll hear is the guitar work done on Guitar Pro because I don't have a microphone or anything and I don't know anything about recording. So uhh....maybe just try to imagine guitars playing the song instead of the shitty sounds that Guitar Pro offers.

I've just started writing the drums for it so I'll be updating the demo in a few days as well as writing the rest of the song.

So anyways here you go :) www.myspace.com/questioncreation

I'm aiming for Death Metal but if it sounds like something different you can inform me otherwise.


If you can actually play that on a guitar, I'll be amazed. And what kind of title is Absolute Dopeness?

Top
 Profile  
Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:56 pm
Posts: 209
Location: Depths ov Hell, Germany
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:49 am 
 

bloody_spike wrote:
MethCooker wrote:
Hello, I recently started a little solo project on myspace and I'm curious to see what people think of it (especially metalheads such as yourselves). So far I've only written an extremely rough and short demo but I think it's turned out pretty well.

What you'll hear is the guitar work done on Guitar Pro because I don't have a microphone or anything and I don't know anything about recording. So uhh....maybe just try to imagine guitars playing the song instead of the shitty sounds that Guitar Pro offers.

I've just started writing the drums for it so I'll be updating the demo in a few days as well as writing the rest of the song.

So anyways here you go :) www.myspace.com/questioncreation

I'm aiming for Death Metal but if it sounds like something different you can inform me otherwise.


If you can actually play that on a guitar, I'll be amazed. And what kind of title is Absolute Dopeness?


Sliiiiipknot craaaaaaap...

Top
 Profile  
MethCooker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Posts: 28
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:16 pm 
 

bloody_spike wrote:
MethCooker wrote:
Hello, I recently started a little solo project on myspace and I'm curious to see what people think of it (especially metalheads such as yourselves). So far I've only written an extremely rough and short demo but I think it's turned out pretty well.

What you'll hear is the guitar work done on Guitar Pro because I don't have a microphone or anything and I don't know anything about recording. So uhh....maybe just try to imagine guitars playing the song instead of the shitty sounds that Guitar Pro offers.

I've just started writing the drums for it so I'll be updating the demo in a few days as well as writing the rest of the song.

So anyways here you go :) www.myspace.com/questioncreation

I'm aiming for Death Metal but if it sounds like something different you can inform me otherwise.


If you can actually play that on a guitar, I'll be amazed. And what kind of title is Absolute Dopeness?


Haha I named it absolute dopeness just for fun. When I finish the song I'll name it something appropriate. I pretty much just make up a stupid name every time I update it to a longer version of the demo because I can. It's just a little project of mine that hardly anyone knows about so I'm not worrying too much about names.

I haven't memorized the tabs or anything but I can definitely play it on guitar. It only sounds hard mostly because both guitars are playing different shit all the time.

Top
 Profile  
MethCooker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Posts: 28
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:33 pm 
 

Warlocks_amulet wrote:
bloody_spike wrote:
MethCooker wrote:
Hello, I recently started a little solo project on myspace and I'm curious to see what people think of it (especially metalheads such as yourselves). So far I've only written an extremely rough and short demo but I think it's turned out pretty well.

What you'll hear is the guitar work done on Guitar Pro because I don't have a microphone or anything and I don't know anything about recording. So uhh....maybe just try to imagine guitars playing the song instead of the shitty sounds that Guitar Pro offers.

I've just started writing the drums for it so I'll be updating the demo in a few days as well as writing the rest of the song.

So anyways here you go :) www.myspace.com/questioncreation

I'm aiming for Death Metal but if it sounds like something different you can inform me otherwise.


If you can actually play that on a guitar, I'll be amazed. And what kind of title is Absolute Dopeness?


Sliiiiipknot craaaaaaap...


??? uhh...can you explain why it sounds like Slipknot? I don't listen to Slipknot and honestly they are the LAST band I'd ever try to emulate. I assure you that if I had access to a full band every other aspect of the demo would be related to Death Metal (drums and vocals and shit) and nothing like Slipknot. The guitars may not sound as dark or "brutal" as they would normally be because they're from Guitar Pro so please take that into consideration.

Top
 Profile  
LiViNgDeAdVirUs
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:21 pm
Posts: 41
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:37 pm 
 

You should go into a studio or something and record that for real, dude.

Top
 Profile  
thejestersgate
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:52 am
Posts: 230
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:33 pm 
 

Remember the music in double dragon on NES? It sounds like that on Meth. Sounds real hard to play on guitar and it doesn't seem like it would be that fun either. Did you write that on a guitar?

wow! your name's methcooker and I didn't even realize that upon writing the first part. Funny stuff.

Top
 Profile  
Pathological_Frolic
Butterfly Sister Rosemary

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:57 pm
Posts: 406
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:40 pm 
 

Sounds like a higher pitched Spawn of Possession, which makes sense since you seem to like them.

Whenever you get around to recording this, would you consider doing a video of yourself playing one of the guitars? I seriously want to see a human play that.
_________________
Agonizer wrote:
My views may be extreme, and you may not agree with them. That's your perogative. At least I'm a cum dumpster.

Top
 Profile  
Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:56 pm
Posts: 209
Location: Depths ov Hell, Germany
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:46 pm 
 

MethCooker wrote:
Warlocks_amulet wrote:
bloody_spike wrote:
MethCooker wrote:
Hello, I recently started a little solo project on myspace and I'm curious to see what people think of it (especially metalheads such as yourselves). So far I've only written an extremely rough and short demo but I think it's turned out pretty well.

What you'll hear is the guitar work done on Guitar Pro because I don't have a microphone or anything and I don't know anything about recording. So uhh....maybe just try to imagine guitars playing the song instead of the shitty sounds that Guitar Pro offers.

I've just started writing the drums for it so I'll be updating the demo in a few days as well as writing the rest of the song.

So anyways here you go :) www.myspace.com/questioncreation

I'm aiming for Death Metal but if it sounds like something different you can inform me otherwise.


If you can actually play that on a guitar, I'll be amazed. And what kind of title is Absolute Dopeness?


Sliiiiipknot craaaaaaap...


??? uhh...can you explain why it sounds like Slipknot? I don't listen to Slipknot and honestly they are the LAST band I'd ever try to emulate. I assure you that if I had access to a full band every other aspect of the demo would be related to Death Metal (drums and vocals and shit) and nothing like Slipknot. The guitars may not sound as dark or "brutal" as they would normally be because they're from Guitar Pro so please take that into consideration.


Just cuz of the name ^_^...since your changing it, nvm.

Top
 Profile  
MethCooker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Posts: 28
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:11 pm 
 

LiViNgDeAdVirUs wrote:
You should go into a studio or something and record that for real, dude.


Thank you :). Unfortunately I'm in college right now and I don't know anyone in my area that plays any instruments or even likes metal for that matter so if I ever do end up recording something in a studio it won't be for a very long time.

Top
 Profile  
MethCooker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Posts: 28
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:34 pm 
 

thejestersgate wrote:
Remember the music in double dragon on NES? It sounds like that on Meth. Sounds real hard to play on guitar and it doesn't seem like it would be that fun either. Did you write that on a guitar?

wow! your name's methcooker and I didn't even realize that upon writing the first part. Funny stuff.


Yea I suppose you're right. It does pretty much seem like it's on drugs, haha.

And yes, I come up with everything on guitar before putting it into Guitar Pro. It's pretty hard to play although I'm not entirely sure just how hard because I come up with the shit and then put it on Guitar Pro and then pretty much forget about it. I don't even know the song by heart but that's kind of the beauty of Guitar Pro because I don't have to (at least until I play a show or record it, which won't be for a while).

Top
 Profile  
MethCooker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Posts: 28
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:50 pm 
 

Pathological_Frolic wrote:
Sounds like a higher pitched Spawn of Possession, which makes sense since you seem to like them.

Whenever you get around to recording this, would you consider doing a video of yourself playing one of the guitars? I seriously want to see a human play that.


Shit...I'm extremely flattered that you'd relate it to Spawn of Possession. I actually just discovered them a little over a month ago and they've pretty much given me a completely new outlook on what music can become.

I probably won't be recording this for a while but I probably will be doing a video of me playing it once I finish the song. It's pretty damn hard but I do divide the work between both guitars (something I borrowed from Spawn of Possession) and I make sure that everything is playable before I make it official. I can play a few Spawn of Possession songs (with difficulty) and nothing I've written is really quite as hard their material is.

Top
 Profile  
MethCooker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Posts: 28
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:54 pm 
 

Warlocks_amulet wrote:
MethCooker wrote:
Warlocks_amulet wrote:
bloody_spike wrote:
MethCooker wrote:
Hello, I recently started a little solo project on myspace and I'm curious to see what people think of it (especially metalheads such as yourselves). So far I've only written an extremely rough and short demo but I think it's turned out pretty well.

What you'll hear is the guitar work done on Guitar Pro because I don't have a microphone or anything and I don't know anything about recording. So uhh....maybe just try to imagine guitars playing the song instead of the shitty sounds that Guitar Pro offers.

I've just started writing the drums for it so I'll be updating the demo in a few days as well as writing the rest of the song.

So anyways here you go :) www.myspace.com/questioncreation

I'm aiming for Death Metal but if it sounds like something different you can inform me otherwise.


If you can actually play that on a guitar, I'll be amazed. And what kind of title is Absolute Dopeness?


Sliiiiipknot craaaaaaap...


??? uhh...can you explain why it sounds like Slipknot? I don't listen to Slipknot and honestly they are the LAST band I'd ever try to emulate. I assure you that if I had access to a full band every other aspect of the demo would be related to Death Metal (drums and vocals and shit) and nothing like Slipknot. The guitars may not sound as dark or "brutal" as they would normally be because they're from Guitar Pro so please take that into consideration.


Just cuz of the name ^_^...since your changing it, nvm.


Haha alright. You scared me for a second there.

Top
 Profile  
mattp
Veteran

Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:57 pm
Posts: 2910
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:01 pm 
 

Get a Line 6 Toneport

Get EZDrummer

Record that shit!
_________________
Alas, Tyranny -- Download the Monolithic demo

Top
 Profile  
VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 1480
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:37 am 
 

MethCooker wrote:
Hello, I recently started a little solo project on myspace and I'm curious to see what people think of it (especially metalheads such as yourselves). So far I've only written an extremely rough and short demo but I think it's turned out pretty well.

What you'll hear is the guitar work done on Guitar Pro because I don't have a microphone or anything and I don't know anything about recording. So uhh....maybe just try to imagine guitars playing the song instead of the shitty sounds that Guitar Pro offers.

I've just started writing the drums for it so I'll be updating the demo in a few days as well as writing the rest of the song.

So anyways here you go :) www.myspace.com/questioncreation

I'm aiming for Death Metal but if it sounds like something different you can inform me otherwise.


Nice to see that you've started getting into real Death Metal, Daniel. That Deathcore shit is atrocious, and I can't possibly fathom how anyone would like it.

Top
 Profile  
MethCooker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Posts: 28
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:29 am 
 

mattp wrote:
Get a Line 6 Toneport

Get EZDrummer

Record that shit!


Holy SHIT! I didn't know such hardware even existed (at least for people without access to a studio). I thought I would have to record through a microphone or something haha. I might just have to get a Toneport now. I looked it up and it seems to be exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks for that. The EZDrummer thing looks pretty cool as well.

Top
 Profile  
MethCooker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Posts: 28
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:51 am 
 

VictimsOfDeception wrote:
MethCooker wrote:
Hello, I recently started a little solo project on myspace and I'm curious to see what people think of it (especially metalheads such as yourselves). So far I've only written an extremely rough and short demo but I think it's turned out pretty well.

What you'll hear is the guitar work done on Guitar Pro because I don't have a microphone or anything and I don't know anything about recording. So uhh....maybe just try to imagine guitars playing the song instead of the shitty sounds that Guitar Pro offers.

I've just started writing the drums for it so I'll be updating the demo in a few days as well as writing the rest of the song.

So anyways here you go :) www.myspace.com/questioncreation

I'm aiming for Death Metal but if it sounds like something different you can inform me otherwise.


Nice to see that you've started getting into real Death Metal, Daniel. That Deathcore shit is atrocious, and I can't possibly fathom how anyone would like it.


Haha thanks man. I guess it's safe to say you were right all along.

Top
 Profile  
VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 1480
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:03 am 
 

Well, I knew I was right. It just takes some people a while to see the light.

Top
 Profile  
MethCooker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Posts: 28
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:09 pm 
 

I've updated the demo if anyone is interested. I pretty much just added drums and made it ten seconds longer but I think it sounds a lot better than it did when I first started this thread.

I'll update yet again once I get up to maybe the 2:00 mark or something.

Top
 Profile  
bloody_spike
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:20 pm
Posts: 550
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:57 pm 
 

MethCooker wrote:
I've updated the demo if anyone is interested. I pretty much just added drums and made it ten seconds longer but I think it sounds a lot better than it did when I first started this thread.

I'll update yet again once I get up to maybe the 2:00 mark or something.


I like it, but it's a little too spastic and all over the place.

Top
 Profile  
MethCooker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Posts: 28
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:34 pm 
 

bloody_spike wrote:
MethCooker wrote:
I've updated the demo if anyone is interested. I pretty much just added drums and made it ten seconds longer but I think it sounds a lot better than it did when I first started this thread.

I'll update yet again once I get up to maybe the 2:00 mark or something.


I like it, but it's a little too spastic and all over the place.


Yea I know what you're saying. The rest of the song will probably be toned down a bit more....well maybe, depends. Thanks for your input though. Idk if I'm about to change what I've already done but for the rest of the shit I'll keep that in mind.

Top
 Profile  
Boomsticks
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 127
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:07 am 
 

MethCooker wrote:
LiViNgDeAdVirUs wrote:
You should go into a studio or something and record that for real, dude.


Thank you :). Unfortunately I'm in college right now and I don't know anyone in my area that plays any instruments or even likes metal for that matter so if I ever do end up recording something in a studio it won't be for a very long time.


Can't you get your school to help you out?? Thats what my band, 'Führer Von Hatecrime' did. We're absolute shit, to be perfectly honest, but our school loves us because we're not doing stupid singer/songwriter crap that everyone else in my area seems to be doing. We play punk by the way... but yes, enough of this shameless self promotion. Get your school involved!
_________________
luminotron wrote:
It's Metallica's new album, and it marks their return to pure thrash! Yeah! Because thrash is apparently the new term for southern hard rock.

Top
 Profile  
thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:07 am
Posts: 209
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:37 pm 
 

Interesting to say the most. A bit too much like the Necrophagist redux that is too prevalent now a days employed by compositional work with no real aim except to show speed and atonality. Your music represents more of a mess and mashing of notes more than anything - kind of like the spastic and soulless bowel movements I have every morning before work.

However, I give anyone kudos who writes and conducts their own music (pleasing or not). So, good job on the effort and doing what you want to do. :nods:
_________________
Thus spake The Witchfinder...

http://www.myspace.com/thevala

Top
 Profile  
MethCooker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Posts: 28
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:39 pm 
 

Boomsticks wrote:
MethCooker wrote:
LiViNgDeAdVirUs wrote:
You should go into a studio or something and record that for real, dude.


Thank you :). Unfortunately I'm in college right now and I don't know anyone in my area that plays any instruments or even likes metal for that matter so if I ever do end up recording something in a studio it won't be for a very long time.


Can't you get your school to help you out?? Thats what my band, 'Führer Von Hatecrime' did. We're absolute shit, to be perfectly honest, but our school loves us because we're not doing stupid singer/songwriter crap that everyone else in my area seems to be doing. We play punk by the way... but yes, enough of this shameless self promotion. Get your school involved!


Well it isn't a band but rather just me and a program. Even if it was a band idk if my school would be interested in any of my shit, and I probably wouldn't really want them to get involved anyway. This is really just a little experiment of mine really it's nothing serious. I've been playing guitar for 2 years and 7 months and I plan on waiting and practicing for a few years before I start anything serious.

Top
 Profile  
MethCooker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Posts: 28
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:17 pm 
 

thewitchfinder wrote:
Interesting to say the most. A bit too much like the Necrophagist redux that is too prevalent now a days employed by compositional work with no real aim except to show speed and atonality. Your music represents more of a mess and mashing of notes more than anything - kind of like the spastic and soulless bowel movements I have every morning before work.

However, I give anyone kudos who writes and conducts their own music (pleasing or not). So, good job on the effort and doing what you want to do. :nods:


Hah..well I guess I can't please everyone.

I'd like to attack your music as well but honestly the first two songs of your band were pretty cool, and I'm not even into Black Metal. I kind of feel lame for saying that but I'd rather be lame then be a dumb asshole and start an argument I can't win.

But honestly the amalgamation of weird shit is sort of what I'm looking for. I love spontaneous and variety-driven shit that keeps the listener entertained. I'm kind of aiming for something that requires many listens to really get into and understand what's going on (at least in my experience that leads to a greater appreciation of the music). That probably sounds stupid but...whatever. Despite your claim that it's "aimless" I can only say that I disagree. The first 15 seconds or so really just serves as a flashy intro but I think it sounds pretty cool and gets the job done. As for the rest of the song I can really see the riffs as coherent melodies that certainly do have a purpose. But of course that's only after a few listens ;). Not too many though.

As of now I'm lengthening some shit and hammering out some rough transitions that I think need attention to hopefully make it a little less spontaneous. I think it's pretty healthy for musicians to read and interpret bad reviews so I guess that's why I'm putting so much effort into this post.

On a final note, don't you think it would sound better being played with real instruments and a voice to pull it all together? I know and have learned a few songs that sound like shit on Guitar Pro and yet are completely awesome in real life.

Top
 Profile  
Sentienth696
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:50 pm
Posts: 348
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:47 pm 
 

MethCooker wrote:
I've been playing guitar for 2 years and 7 months and I plan on waiting and practicing for a few years before I start anything serious.


And you expect people to believe you can just pull that stuff off after 2 and a half years of playing?

You can't just get a mic, but you are willing to go to the extent of working this stuff out on guitar, then playing it with computer program!

Sorry, but that just seems stupid. I don't believe that you can play that with under 3 years of playing, but seeing as you have no plans to record anytime soon, whos to know, right! :roll:
_________________
Download Fen Hollens' Demo "Winterspirit" 320kbps/78.4mb - 39 mins of Raw/Melodic BM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P7I6HPM3
My Black metal Project:
http://www.myspace.com/artanor
Bereavement/Artanor 'Imperial Hordes' Split now available $10AU.

Top
 Profile  
Sentienth696
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:50 pm
Posts: 348
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:49 pm 
 

MethCooker wrote:
On a final note, don't you think it would sound better being played with real instruments and a voice to pull it all together? I know and have learned a few songs that sound like shit on Guitar Pro and yet are completely awesome in real life.


Yes, so why not do just that!
_________________
Download Fen Hollens' Demo "Winterspirit" 320kbps/78.4mb - 39 mins of Raw/Melodic BM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P7I6HPM3
My Black metal Project:
http://www.myspace.com/artanor
Bereavement/Artanor 'Imperial Hordes' Split now available $10AU.

Top
 Profile  
Forrizzledog
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 11:32 am
Posts: 215
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:53 pm 
 

Sentienth696 wrote:
MethCooker wrote:
On a final note, don't you think it would sound better being played with real instruments and a voice to pull it all together? I know and have learned a few songs that sound like shit on Guitar Pro and yet are completely awesome in real life.


Yes, so why not do just that!



He's explained multiple times why he hasn't done it. Read through the thread.
_________________
lord_ghengis talking of Australian children's literature wrote:
Hell, we have children's books about multiple stabbings written by violent criminals called "Hooky The Cripple". None of this Waldo crap.

Top
 Profile  
Sentienth696
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:50 pm
Posts: 348
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:56 pm 
 

Forrizzledog wrote:
Sentienth696 wrote:
MethCooker wrote:
On a final note, don't you think it would sound better being played with real instruments and a voice to pull it all together? I know and have learned a few songs that sound like shit on Guitar Pro and yet are completely awesome in real life.


Yes, so why not do just that!



He's explained multiple times why he hasn't done it. Read through the thread.


Ha ha, I have. And I think the reason is. . . he can't play it!

He states he has no microphone, and has no recording knowledge yet composes a song on guitar pro? Come on! There are easy beginner programs for recording out there that are easier to use than guitar pro, and how expensive is a cheap mic???
_________________
Download Fen Hollens' Demo "Winterspirit" 320kbps/78.4mb - 39 mins of Raw/Melodic BM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P7I6HPM3
My Black metal Project:
http://www.myspace.com/artanor
Bereavement/Artanor 'Imperial Hordes' Split now available $10AU.

Top
 Profile  
Boomsticks
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 127
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:44 pm 
 

Sentienth696 wrote:
Forrizzledog wrote:
Sentienth696 wrote:
MethCooker wrote:
On a final note, don't you think it would sound better being played with real instruments and a voice to pull it all together? I know and have learned a few songs that sound like shit on Guitar Pro and yet are completely awesome in real life.


Yes, so why not do just that!



He's explained multiple times why he hasn't done it. Read through the thread.


Ha ha, I have. And I think the reason is. . . he can't play it!

He states he has no microphone, and has no recording knowledge yet composes a song on guitar pro? Come on! There are easy beginner programs for recording out there that are easier to use than guitar pro, and how expensive is a cheap mic???


Hmmm... I have to admit, it doesn't seem likely that MethCooker could play that with such little experience with the instrument. I mean 2 years 7 months is a fair amount of time I suppose, but to play that... Well... I dunno, I'm very sceptical.
_________________
luminotron wrote:
It's Metallica's new album, and it marks their return to pure thrash! Yeah! Because thrash is apparently the new term for southern hard rock.

Top
 Profile  
Sentienth696
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:50 pm
Posts: 348
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:09 am 
 

The main point I was trying to make, is its all well and good to SAY you can do something, but kind of stupid when you can't back it up.

I can't play piano, but I have composed some lovely ambient pieces on that playstation music thingy game! Go figure.
_________________
Download Fen Hollens' Demo "Winterspirit" 320kbps/78.4mb - 39 mins of Raw/Melodic BM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P7I6HPM3
My Black metal Project:
http://www.myspace.com/artanor
Bereavement/Artanor 'Imperial Hordes' Split now available $10AU.

Top
 Profile  
MethCooker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Posts: 28
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:21 am 
 

Sentienth696 wrote:
Forrizzledog wrote:
Sentienth696 wrote:
MethCooker wrote:
On a final note, don't you think it would sound better being played with real instruments and a voice to pull it all together? I know and have learned a few songs that sound like shit on Guitar Pro and yet are completely awesome in real life.


Yes, so why not do just that!



He's explained multiple times why he hasn't done it. Read through the thread.


Ha ha, I have. And I think the reason is. . . he can't play it!

He states he has no microphone, and has no recording knowledge yet composes a song on guitar pro? Come on! There are easy beginner programs for recording out there that are easier to use than guitar pro, and how expensive is a cheap mic???


Ok first of all, anyone with half brain can use Guitar Pro. It's really not that complicated. It's a bunch of easily readable guitar tabs that, once you press play, plays the song. Enter in your song's tabs and press play, simple. The file is in MIDI format so you convert it to an mp3 and then uploaded it on myspace, huge effort there, huh?

Second of all, COMPOSING a song and RECORDING a song are two completely different things. In my case composing the song is convenient because I have a guitar and a brain. Recording it is a bit different because, believe it or not, I don't have a microphone or any other type of recording hardware.

Why I'm not about to go out and buy a mic and eagerly record this like you've generously suggested is because, like I've said, this is simply a little experiment of mine and I don't consider it that crucial to record it for real.

I'm not trying to brag about being able to play this shit and it is completely irrelevant to why I started this thread. People asked if I could, and I responded with an honest answer. With MUCH practice, yes, I could play it. I guarantee there's a shitload of kids out there that have half my experience and can play twice as fast as me. I'm not that amazing and I'm not trying to force that on you or anyone else. I'm not going to record it anytime soon because I'm lazy and I don't give a shit. My skill level is not a factor. The song isn't even halfway done anyway.

Top
 Profile  
Sentienth696
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:50 pm
Posts: 348
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:47 am 
 

Well I rest my case then. ANYONE can use Guitar Pro.

You say you are not trying to brag, but you answered a previous person saying "I haven't memorized the tabs or anything but I can definitely play it on guitar. It only sounds hard mostly because both guitars are playing different shit all the time." definitely hey!!! Now you say, "with MUCH" practice??? Hmmm. . . . If you can only play it WITH MUCH PRACTICE, how the hell did you write it in order to record it on Guitar Pro??? ("I make sure that everything is playable before I make it official")

You say you 'composed' the song on guitar pro by entering the tabs, yet you state you haven't memorized the tabs or anything??? What are you trying to say dude? You are contradicting yourself.

Why can't you admit you just wrote the damn thing on Guitar Pro!


The following is you bragging.

"Shit...I'm extremely flattered that you'd relate it to Spawn of Possession. I actually just discovered them a little over a month ago and they've pretty much given me a completely new outlook on what music can become.

I probably won't be recording this for a while but I probably will be doing a video of me playing it once I finish the song. It's pretty damn hard but I do divide the work between both guitars (something I borrowed from Spawn of Possession) and I make sure that everything is playable before I make it official. I can play a few Spawn of Possession songs (with difficulty) and nothing I've written is really quite as hard their material is."


Not bad you discover a band 6 weeks ago, they shape how you think about music and have influenced a song you wrote when you didnt' even know them (according to when your song was online) and you can play a few of their songs! Bravo.

The last part, that you guarantee there are kids playing for what. . .a year and a quarter now (half as long as you) can play faster??? OK. Show me proof.
_________________
Download Fen Hollens' Demo "Winterspirit" 320kbps/78.4mb - 39 mins of Raw/Melodic BM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P7I6HPM3
My Black metal Project:
http://www.myspace.com/artanor
Bereavement/Artanor 'Imperial Hordes' Split now available $10AU.

Top
 Profile  
Boomsticks
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 127
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:47 am 
 

Yeah, but c'mon? Wouldn't it be great fun to record something like that? Just download Audacity or some other recording program, get a $10 - $20 computer mic, and use that. Sure the quality will be average, but meh. It'd still be worth it surely? Also, it'd be a major "Fuck You" to all the people who don't believe you can play that fast/technically.
_________________
luminotron wrote:
It's Metallica's new album, and it marks their return to pure thrash! Yeah! Because thrash is apparently the new term for southern hard rock.

Top
 Profile  
MethCooker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Posts: 28
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:52 am 
 

Sentienth696 wrote:
Well I rest my case then. ANYONE can use Guitar Pro.

You say you are not trying to brag, but you answered a previous person saying "I haven't memorized the tabs or anything but I can definitely play it on guitar. It only sounds hard mostly because both guitars are playing different shit all the time." definitely hey!!! Now you say, "with MUCH" practice??? Hmmm. . . . If you can only play it WITH MUCH PRACTICE, how the hell did you write it in order to record it on Guitar Pro??? ("I make sure that everything is playable before I make it official")

You say you 'composed' the song on guitar pro by entering the tabs, yet you state you haven't memorized the tabs or anything??? What are you trying to say dude? You are contradicting yourself.

Why can't you admit you just wrote the damn thing on Guitar Pro!


The following is you bragging.

"Shit...I'm extremely flattered that you'd relate it to Spawn of Possession. I actually just discovered them a little over a month ago and they've pretty much given me a completely new outlook on what music can become.

I probably won't be recording this for a while but I probably will be doing a video of me playing it once I finish the song. It's pretty damn hard but I do divide the work between both guitars (something I borrowed from Spawn of Possession) and I make sure that everything is playable before I make it official. I can play a few Spawn of Possession songs (with difficulty) and nothing I've written is really quite as hard their material is."


Not bad you discover a band 6 weeks ago, they shape how you think about music and have influenced a song you wrote when you didnt' even know them (according to when your song was online) and you can play a few of their songs! Bravo.

The last part, that you guarantee there are kids playing for what. . .a year and a quarter now (half as long as you) can play faster??? OK. Show me proof.


Ugh....it's obvious that just arguing with you at this point is absolutely pointless. If I refute any of your stupid, fallacious claims you'll just make up new ones.

I have a digital camera. It can take a pretty low quality video for about 90 seconds, luckily that's all I need. Give me a few weeks and I'll learn and practice the demo and have a video for you and whoever else wants to see it. If I don't I'll gladly admit that I can't play it.

Despite what I just said I need to state a few things:

"You say you 'composed' the song on guitar pro by entering the tabs, yet you state you haven't memorized the tabs or anything??? What are you trying to say dude? You are contradicting yourself."

Alright....I come up with a riff on my guitar...then I put the tablature into Guitar Pro. Guitar Pro plays the riff AUTOMATICALLY at whatever speed I want, giving me the flexibility to move on and write more shit WITHOUT having to memorize it. So in a way, yes, I DID write it in Guitar Pro but saying that I wrote it SOLELY on Guitar Pro without the help of an actual guitar to compose the riffs on is an incredibly dumb thing to say. It would be possible but insanely inefficient, you'd basically have to memorize the each fucking sound to write anything OR go through endless trial and error processes.

Here's an analogy for your claim: "You have reason to "claim" that your posts on this thread were composed by you right? Oh? But you don't have them memorized word for word???? WOW!!!! You're contradicting yourself!!" A computer has the capacity to memorize shit for you. I hope you can grasp that concept.

And another thing:

"Not bad you discover a band 6 weeks ago, they shape how you think about music and have influenced a song you wrote when you didnt' even know them (according to when your song was online) and you can play a few of their songs! Bravo."

First of all, that has NOTHING to do with what we're talking about, you're just mindlessly trying to belittle me because you clearly have nothing better to do. But anyway let's see, 6 weeks ago is September 2nd. I first added the (at the time) roughly 60 second clip of my demo to the myspace account which clearly states it was created on October 4th.

So either I CLEARLY wrote that shitty little demo AFTER September 2nd OR it took me over a fucking month to write it and then I just made up that whole fucking paragraph about Spawn of Possession's influence on me for absolutely no reason. I think anyone in a rational state of mind will choose the former.

Top
 Profile  
thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:07 am
Posts: 209
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:45 am 
 

MethCooker wrote:
thewitchfinder wrote:
Interesting to say the most. A bit too much like the Necrophagist redux that is too prevalent now a days employed by compositional work with no real aim except to show speed and atonality. Your music represents more of a mess and mashing of notes more than anything - kind of like the spastic and soulless bowel movements I have every morning before work.

However, I give anyone kudos who writes and conducts their own music (pleasing or not). So, good job on the effort and doing what you want to do. :nods:


Hah..well I guess I can't please everyone.

I'd like to attack your music as well but honestly the first two songs of your band were pretty cool, and I'm not even into Black Metal. I kind of feel lame for saying that but I'd rather be lame then be a dumb asshole and start an argument I can't win.

But honestly the amalgamation of weird shit is sort of what I'm looking for. I love spontaneous and variety-driven shit that keeps the listener entertained. I'm kind of aiming for something that requires many listens to really get into and understand what's going on (at least in my experience that leads to a greater appreciation of the music). That probably sounds stupid but...whatever. Despite your claim that it's "aimless" I can only say that I disagree. The first 15 seconds or so really just serves as a flashy intro but I think it sounds pretty cool and gets the job done. As for the rest of the song I can really see the riffs as coherent melodies that certainly do have a purpose. But of course that's only after a few listens ;). Not too many though.

As of now I'm lengthening some shit and hammering out some rough transitions that I think need attention to hopefully make it a little less spontaneous. I think it's pretty healthy for musicians to read and interpret bad reviews so I guess that's why I'm putting so much effort into this post.

On a final note, don't you think it would sound better being played with real instruments and a voice to pull it all together? I know and have learned a few songs that sound like shit on Guitar Pro and yet are completely awesome in real life.


If you like it then by all means keep going.

Top
 Profile  
Sentienth696
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:50 pm
Posts: 348
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:00 pm 
 

Right. Thats all you had to say the first time.

Post up your video and yeah, prove me wrong. I have no problem with that. Just seems a fair whack of skill and speed involved in that stuff, and the song sounded messed up and all over the place, mainly because of the programmed drums.

And no, I'm not just arguing for the sake of argument. I was thouroughly reading your posts before I noticed your answers were different for certain different people, making me think you were just talking out of your arse, but hey, I you say you can play that, basically I'm saying I'll believe it when I see it! ;)
_________________
Download Fen Hollens' Demo "Winterspirit" 320kbps/78.4mb - 39 mins of Raw/Melodic BM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P7I6HPM3
My Black metal Project:
http://www.myspace.com/artanor
Bereavement/Artanor 'Imperial Hordes' Split now available $10AU.

Top
 Profile  
MethCooker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Posts: 28
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:37 pm 
 

I've updated the demo if anyone is interested ^_^

It's a little over 2:00 long now and I've slowed everything down a bit. I may slow things down more but I'm not sure yet.

I'll have that video within the week I guess and it will be at the speed it was in the first demo so don't worry.

Top
 Profile  
Boomsticks
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 127
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:12 pm 
 

MethCooker wrote:
I'll have that video within the week I guess and it will be at the speed it was in the first demo so don't worry.


Wo0o0o. I look forward to it.
_________________
luminotron wrote:
It's Metallica's new album, and it marks their return to pure thrash! Yeah! Because thrash is apparently the new term for southern hard rock.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group