Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:04 pm 

profitsfrompoison wrote:
fall of efrafa.

Awesome band dude! Just curious, do you prefer Owsla or Elil?

TheClansman
IM AN INTARWEB TUFF GUY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:32 pm 

The bands that inspire me to write are generally the ones who infuriate me by being so fucking awful. Pantera, Opeth, any of the gothenburg crowd, any of the 'new wave of 'murican heavy metal' (ugh) bands, various terrible local bands, so on and so forth. Hearing these bands (and even worse their fans) inspires me to try to play faster and write better riffs, especially when I hear someone say something like 'this is true heavy metal as it should be' or any related bullshit statements.

Snook_24
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:16 pm 

TheClansman wrote:
The bands that inspire me to write are generally the ones who infuriate me by being so fucking awful. Pantera, Opeth, any of the gothenburg crowd, any of the 'new wave of 'murican heavy metal' (ugh) bands, various terrible local bands, so on and so forth. Hearing these bands (and even worse their fans) inspires me to try to play faster and write better riffs, especially when I hear someone say something like 'this is true heavy metal as it should be' or any related bullshit statements.

I know exactly what you're talkin about. but i disagree on the bands (i actually like Pantera, Opeth, SOME Gothenburg bands). everytime i hear someone listening to WhiteChapel or wearing a Killswitch Engage shirt i want to start making aggressive music so there may be something of worth to listen to at my school (even though i suck). the bad thing is that these people are actually good musicians and could have a good future and i don't want my town being known for "Plastic" Metal

Krafty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:38 pm 

TheClansman wrote:

That's kinda how it is with me. After sitting through tons of shitty metalcore shows with tons of retarded looking hardcore dancers, it makes me wanna write something that's kind of a big "fuck you" to them.

I guess that's my inspiration, that and satan.

An album that has several albums contained in it?! holy cow thats awesome.

profitsfrompoison
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:11 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
profitsfrompoison wrote:
fall of efrafa.

it really depends, i love love love elil, just because of how epic and awesome it is. but i love owsla when im hanging out with friends or doing something else.

lately ive become obsessed with the paper aeroplane remake of dominion theology called tharn. its beautiful. if you havent heard, check it out. i love that band. im actually getting the creature on the vinyl cover of elil tattoed on my arm pretty soon here

which do you prefer?

soerkvir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:28 pm 

I'm wierd. I admire Wolves in the Throne Room for the immense atmosphere their songs create; that alone makes me want to make music of my own.

On a less-intense scale, Suffocation and Vomitory make me want to write brutal songs.

Pretty much any kind of music I listen to makes me want to try my hand at that genre. If I listen to Johnny Cash, I want to write a bum-chicka-bum old-style country tune. If I listen to Nine Inch Nails I want to make something in that style. If I listen to Gorgoroth, I want to write a hateful song about burning Christians. *shrug*

TheClansman wrote:

Explain to me why Opeth is fucking awful, because at this point I'm convinced you're mentally retarded.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:59 am 

Does Insect Warfare count as an influence if almost every riff I write sounds like one of theirs? :p

Seriously though, Insect Warfare make me want to write my own grind songs. I've actually got a couple riffs written down and I'm trying to put them together into songs. Unfortunately, since I'm not terribly great at playing guitar I might need someone to help me play the parts. <hint hint>

Whenever I listen to Pig Destroyer, I can't help but feel amazed at the drumming beast that is Brian Harvey. The man absolutely destroys with his kit. His drumming is chaotic, yet incredibly precise. Definitely what I'm aiming for when I begin writing out my drum tracks.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:26 pm 

profitsfrompoison wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:
profitsfrompoison wrote:
fall of efrafa.

it really depends, i love love love elil, just because of how epic and awesome it is. but i love owsla when im hanging out with friends or doing something else.

lately ive become obsessed with the paper aeroplane remake of dominion theology called tharn. its beautiful. if you havent heard, check it out. i love that band. im actually getting the creature on the vinyl cover of elil tattoed on my arm pretty soon here

which do you prefer?

I think both are really great but I think for me Owsla nudges out Elil just by a bit, mainly because the faster passages are more abundant (I love crust/hardcore/d-beat, although to be honest I'm not very knowledgable in the genre) and the cello is a nice touch. On the other hand, Elil just feels so HUGE when I listen to it, it's very epic.

TheClansman
IM AN INTARWEB TUFF GUY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:14 pm 

I forgot to mention that mountains make me want to write music. Doesn't matter if I'm merely looking at them from a distance or hiking, I just fucking love mountains. Wandering around in the woods after a fresh snowfall at night when the moon gives off sufficient light to see everything pretty well also makes me want to write music (albeit not as much as hiking in the mountains).

That said the music I end up wanting to write in such situations isn't particularly imaginative, and has already been done to death by half a million bad clone bands before so that generally stops me from playing it to anyone past myself. :|

soerkvir wrote:
Explain to me why Opeth is fucking awful, because at this point I'm convinced you're mentally retarded.

Taking the very essence of metal, removing it, and then filling the void left with something inspired by awful 70s music isn't reason enough? Fine, they're meandering and lacking in any direction, seemingly more obsessed with the concept of taking things that are painful and boring after 10 seconds and turning them into 10 minutes of the exact same awful sound. If we ignore the macro and look at the micro they can't write a decent fucking riff to save their lives instead trying to cram as much 'atmosphere' in as they can which makes the music come off as a lullaby written by autistic children.

Lifeless music for angsty kiddies wearing 'tool' t-shirts, you can keep it. If I want something slow and over-long I'll listen to a funeral doom band that actually has some idea of how to make half decent music, thanks.

Yes I know I'm likely starting a pissing contest, oops.

BlsdRTehCheesemakers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:41 pm 

Krafty wrote:
TheClansman wrote:

That's kinda how it is with me. After sitting through tons of shitty metalcore shows with tons of retarded looking hardcore dancers, it makes me wanna write something that's kind of a big "fuck you" to them.

I guess that's my inspiration, that and satan.

I can relate to this. After hearing what seems like millions of black metal bands that are almost identical, it drives me to do everything within my power to break out of the cliches and trends that are domiting the metal scene today.

sacrificial_curse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:03 pm 

Abominable Putridity, Devourment, Disfiguring The Goddess, Short Bus Pile Up, Cryptopsy (some), Drowned In Phemaldehyde, Guttural Engorgement, Guttural Secrete, Heidevolk, ect...

Monotheist (Technical/Progressive)

http://www.facebook.com/monoehtistfl

danieljohnpaul
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:25 pm 

i guess by writing great stuff / true stuff it just inspires you to be like them also it gives u a sense of a " release " when you write ur own stuff

vigilius_haufniensis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:32 pm 

Recently its been Skeletonwitch, not because they are the greatest band in the world or anything, but just the energy and unique sound they have admist most other new bands (which tend to be pretty lame). They are mostly thrash, but with a great deal of black metal vocalization alongside some early death and 70's-style doom riffs. It really is interesting stuff, and it reminds me that there is good music yet to be written. I've also been listening to a lot of Testament, especially the album with Murphy and Digorgio on it. I know thrash purists don't like it much, but I think it is a great fucking album.

Maethor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:02 pm 

Well, mostly Maiden,Slayer and Black Label Society

I like Maiden's basslines and riffs, Slayer's lyrics and Black Label's Solos

MoonPenatrator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:04 pm 

Well I have changed my taste and this is the second time i post here

Iron Maiden
Immortal
Bathory
In Flames (old)
Opeth
Running Wild
Storm Warrior
Dissection
HeXeN

i got more but this is all i can think of

TheEndComplete
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:42 pm 

Opeth, Slayer, Metallica (old), Porcupine Tree, Immortal, Pantera, Behemoth, Death, etc.

Slagathjoor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:33 pm 

I guess no one has said this but Cannibal Corpse has really driven me to write lyrics. Chris Barnes vocal style is one that I really enjoy and he has inspired me to do some vocal work.

Some more bands are Mayhem (De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas), Evoken (Antithesis of Light), Opeth and Emperor (In The Nightside Eclipse). These bands have influenced me greatly in terms of writing songs and trying new stuff out.

Ciraxos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm 

Pantera, because Dimebag is just so good at expressing himself on the guitar. Every time I listen to them it makes me want to go come up with a riff that's at least half as good as the ones Dimebag brought to the table.

For lyrics it would be Cradle. The lyrics on Dusk and Her Embrace are fucking genius.

shellshocked666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:12 am 

i have many different influence some new school and some old school. bt at the moment i am very into ion dissonance and early dillenger escape plan. ill probably get into some more bands soon

GeneralKilljoy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:57 pm 

Any Melodic Death Metal really influences my guitar riffs and vocal style, while Death Metal like Cannibal Corpse gives me a good start on bass lines. Drumming, of course, is completely influenced by bands like Lamb of God and Born of Osiris. Lyrical content is very similar to Megadeth.

mrmot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:15 pm 

Tokio Hotel , im thinking how to kill them and butcherd them and i've got a death metal song:D

Akerfeldt_Fanboi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:16 pm 

In general classical, romantic, and baroque music inspires me to write music, as does older jazz and progressive rock.

But, in terms of metal bands, Vlad Tepes and Opeth influence me the most to write riffs. I know Opeth aren't widely accepted here, so please, no unnecessary prodding :lol:.

ferocious_ambrosis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:13 am 

SpiritOfRock wrote:
Bands that influence me to write are most often not my favorite ones, but ones I really enjoy. Bands like A Perfect Circle, Tool, and Soundgarden (not Metal, I know) make me want to write lyrics, wheras bands like Jimi Hendrix, Kyuss, and Black Sabbath just make me want to play guitar.

Then there are bands like Candlemass, Symphony X, and Crimson Glory who make me want to sit down and compose music.

a few bands that inspire me are:
Agoraphobic nosebleed, Black Sabbath, Darkthrone, Deicide, DRI, Godstomper, Iron Maiden, Madball, Mayhem, Misfits, Napalm Death, Siege, Repulsion, Venom,

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:53 pm 

When I walk around near some trees where I live, kind of like a small forest, and listen to Falls Of Rauros on my Ipod, I really just get a burst of creativity and need to write shit. It helps to have a lot of redbull before doing this, it just helps. lol.

And to write slam, Guttural Engorgement inspires me.

~Guest 186985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:37 pm 

agalloch - they can do no wrong. Over 40 songs and every one is amazing.
Dystopia - I like them because no one else sounds like them. they are a great inspiration for basslines and lyrics.

some other ones are ( not all metal but I like a lot of different genres).

-Godspeed you! black emporer
- death metal with good melodies like amon amarth and arch enemy
-orphaned land
- black sabbath, bongzilla and the beatles.
-punk like leftover crack, black flag, propagandhi and morning glory
- ambient music like brian eno, biosphere, atrium carceri and lustmord.
- classical like bach , wagner and erik satie
- death in june
That doesn't even start to cover it but I don't want to get into a big rant about my music influences

SuomiFinland666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:36 pm 

I have wrote just some lyrics (11 songs), but i will compose them when i got bass. But the influences are: Destruction, Kreator, Satanic Warmaster and Impaled Nazarene.

Recrudescence
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:52 pm 

At the Gates, Blind Guardian, Dead Kennedys, pretty much any of the good 90's Gothenburg stuff.

Callum_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:48 am 

My main influences are, Death, Carcass, Cannibal Corpse, Misery index, Severe Torture, The Duskfall, Megadeth, Destruction and Sodom.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:27 pm 

An awesome gig of a band I'm unfamiliar with (e.g. Helheim last night) makes me want to write stuff, also having to sit through stuff I hate or stuff I can tolerate but think "this is lacking something" or "this is overrated, I could kick everyone's arse here, fuck!"

It's a big question of how do I convert that energy and frustration, though.

SfB_5
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:47 pm 

Band that influence me the most are the ones I listen to most... It starts to get annoying after a while that whenever I put on some music nowadays, I end up turning it off and playing guitar while the inspiration is still there.... But the most frequent bands are;

Kreator
Norther
Testament
Soilwork
Firewind
Imperanon

And others, quite a varied list, but so is my guitar style :)

zmscrossover
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:02 pm 

Black Flag-"Damaged" inspired to me to pick up the bass and play it, and "My War" got me into writing basic heavy metal.

Anthrax-Probably what dominates most of my writing today, the incredible bass parts of Frank Bello are what have progressed my playing and writing from three chord punk/slower dirgy stuff I was writing before.

Neglected-Play what you like. Believe me, I'm in a scene here in Central Florida where it's a bunch of scenexcore bands, and they've inspired me to kick the living shit out of them.

sk8ordie97
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:57 pm 

there are so many
opeth, dissection, immortal, decapitated.... the list goes on

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3