Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:48 pm 

Sovteks, Orange, and Sound City amps shit on everything mentioned thus far.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:48 pm 

VictimsOfDeception wrote:
I'm really hoping you're joking about Mesa/Boogies being for nu-metal fags and beaners. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. You're calling Heathen a fucking nu-metal band? Lee Altus has been plugging into Mesas since the fucking 80s. You don't know anything about Mesa/Boogie amps, clearly.

Both amp companies make great sounding amps. They have a fundamentally different voicing though. It's not a "better/worse" comparison, its an "apples/oranges" comparison.

Now Splawn certainly sounds better than Marshall. And Bogner sounds better than Mesa. But you have to choose the right tool for the job... And the job is "finding a sound you like".

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:20 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
DisemboweledChrist wrote:
Total fucking hair metal!

I play a SG with a JB and Jazz, fucking awesome pick ups I must say. Does anyone else find standard gibson pick-ups too muddy? I really like fender stock pick ups though.

I tried a Mesa combo, two of the three channels were amazing but the third (distortion) was muddy and lifeless.

Mesa amps are for gear-heads, and their tone shaping abilities are phenomenal. You just have to know how to use them.

I'm curious though. Which amp did you play through?

It was a combo one of their cheapest around £1000. I can't remember exactly, I didn't do anything that would sound muddy, it took the bass done and it was still muddy. It could have been the guitar though, it wasn't my own. Everyone knows Marshalls are better anyway, Mesas are for nu metal bands and beaners or not.

Don't fuck around with their cheaper amps. They're poor representations of Mesa/Boogie.

Everyone knows Marshals are better? Don't make me fucking laugh. Marshals are production amps with printed circuit boards, not to mention you have to turn them up really fucking loud before you get any substantial tone out of them. Don't get me wrong, Marshals can be good amps, but Mesa/Boogie Mark III-IV and Dual Rectifiers shit on anything Marshal have ever done. The versatility they have is astounding, and Marshal have never even come close.

I'm really hoping you're joking about Mesa/Boogies being for nu-metal fags and beaners. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. You're calling Heathen a fucking nu-metal band? Lee Altus has been plugging into Mesas since the fucking 80s. You don't know anything about Mesa/Boogie amps, clearly.

The or not bit was indicating a joke, guess I should of put "I'M FUCKING JOKING OKAY!!???" instead. No I'm not calling Heathen a nu-metal band, their tone is alright, nothing amazing... just kind of a cool nod to Ride the Lightning (on the album I've heard). That said most of my favourite guitar sounds are from Marshalls. Most of the best tones came from Marshalls back in the day, so I fail to see how Mesas are better than those amps... more variation or not. I prefer just to have a simple tone to work with and a very simple amp. I currently play one that doesn't even have two chanels, just a high and low input.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:49 pm 

mattp wrote:

Both amp companies make great sounding amps. They have a fundamentally different voicing though. It's not a "better/worse" comparison, its an "apples/oranges" comparison.

Now Splawn certainly sounds better than Marshall. And Bogner sounds better than Mesa. But you have to choose the right tool for the job... And the job is "finding a sound you like".

The only amps I've played through that I would even put in exchange for one of my Mesas is an Engl.

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
DisemboweledChrist wrote:
Total fucking hair metal!

I play a SG with a JB and Jazz, fucking awesome pick ups I must say. Does anyone else find standard gibson pick-ups too muddy? I really like fender stock pick ups though.

I tried a Mesa combo, two of the three channels were amazing but the third (distortion) was muddy and lifeless.

Mesa amps are for gear-heads, and their tone shaping abilities are phenomenal. You just have to know how to use them.

I'm curious though. Which amp did you play through?

It was a combo one of their cheapest around £1000. I can't remember exactly, I didn't do anything that would sound muddy, it took the bass done and it was still muddy. It could have been the guitar though, it wasn't my own. Everyone knows Marshalls are better anyway, Mesas are for nu metal bands and beaners or not.

Don't fuck around with their cheaper amps. They're poor representations of Mesa/Boogie.

Everyone knows Marshals are better? Don't make me fucking laugh. Marshals are production amps with printed circuit boards, not to mention you have to turn them up really fucking loud before you get any substantial tone out of them. Don't get me wrong, Marshals can be good amps, but Mesa/Boogie Mark III-IV and Dual Rectifiers shit on anything Marshal have ever done. The versatility they have is astounding, and Marshal have never even come close.

The or not bit was indicating a joke, guess I should of put "I'M FUCKING JOKING OKAY!!???" instead. No I'm not calling Heathen a nu-metal band, their tone is alright, nothing amazing... just kind of a cool nod to Ride the Lightning (on the album I've heard). That said most of my favourite guitar sounds are from Marshalls. Most of the best tones came from Marshalls back in the day, so I fail to see how Mesas are better than those amps... more variation or not. I prefer just to have a simple tone to work with and a very simple amp. I currently play one that doesn't even have two chanels, just a high and low input.

Lee Altus's tone = worlds beyond anything Metallica have ever come up with.

Listen to the '05 demo as well. Killer guitar tone.

Mesas are boutique amps, whereas Marshalls are production amps. There are tons of things I could say about them that puts them above Marshalls. I do like some of the things Marshall have done, but I've gone through both amp companies thoroughly. If you want to get into the quality of a Mesa VS Marshall itself (I'm talking about how well they're built, and other things related to that) then Mesas are factually better. When it comes down to tone and sonic differences, then you're free to feel however you want, and I'm not even disputing that part of it.

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:31 pm 

LordOminous wrote:
Nah, they're just random animal stickers I bought in a shop today.

:lol: Heell I didn't notice that little sodomizer koala.. thats way better than inverted crosses........ anyway awesome keytar dude

sarcophagid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:37 am 

gomorro wrote:
sodomizer koala

:lol:

Ancestral - "Fall" track:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wv2k2tekx6o

leadbassist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:07 am 

all are bass guitars since im a bassist. My bass box in the center written "LEADBASSIST" holds my 6-string Ibanez BTB. The one at the right is 4-string Ibanez EDB series. The one at the left is my first ever bass.

The bottom is a keyboard i use for effects. Theres a mic if u lok carefully and on top of the keyboard is my bass processor which i mainly use for tuning.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3