Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LordOminous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:27 pm 

Nah, they're just random animal stickers I bought in a shop today.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:38 pm 

:lol: So pirate of you!

But seriously, does anyone have a BC Rich? I think those are some of the most metal guitars.

I don't play any instrument so I know very little of their actual playing ability.

frozenaeons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:50 pm 

I used to. They turned to shit for a while, but they're apparently getting their act back together and producing some good instruments. I guess they had to if they hoped to compete with companies such as ESP and Ibanez for metal.

DisemboweledChrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:20 pm 

B.C. Rich guitars are for 12-year-old girls and Kerry King, two demographics that are not too dissimilar in that they both crave pre-pubescent cock.

be a man. play a man's guitar. play Jackson Guitars.

DisemboweledChrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:24 pm 

Not to knock Slayer, they slay... hence the name. Kerry King just plays silly guitars also he would be better off taking a shit in a frying pan and recording that instead of his solos.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:30 am 

The_Boss wrote:

But seriously, does anyone have a BC Rich? I think those are some of the most metal guitars.

I don't play any instrument so I know very little of their actual playing ability.
Most of the instruments they churn out are shite, terrible fret quality, terrible woods, bad wiring, and cheap tuning heads, and just overall shit instrument, unless you buy the really high end neck thru ones. Even those aren't that great, due to their uncomfortable shape.

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:57 pm 

DisemboweledChrist wrote:
B.C. Rich guitars are for 12-year-old girls and Kerry King, two demographics that are not too dissimilar in that they both crave pre-pubescent cock.

Chuck Schuldiner was definitely a 12 year old girl.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:08 pm 

USA BC Rich DESTROYS USA Jackson.

BC Rich NT Deluxe models DESTROY any import Jacksons.

Agreed, the shitty BC Rich guitars are really really bad, but they do make some very nice instruments.

WebOfPiss wrote:
The_Boss wrote:

Most of the instruments they churn out are shite, terrible fret quality, terrible woods, bad wiring, and cheap tuning heads, and just overall shit instrument, unless you buy the really high end neck thru ones. Even those aren't that great, due to their uncomfortable shape.

As long as you spend more than $500 you'll get a decent instrument from BC Rich... Of course if you buy the cheaper, shittier guitars, then they'll suck, but that is the case with every single manufacturer on earth.

Sunkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:53 pm 

vashts80 wrote:

Chuck Schuldiner was definitely a 12 year old girl.

So is Bolt Thrower.

Your Jackson isn't very amazing either.

DisemboweledChrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:39 pm 

I don't remember shitting on anyone but Mr. King yet I have been shat on harsh forum kids

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:56 pm 

I don't remember shitting on anyone but Mr. King yet I have been shat on harsh forum kids

You said this:

That is an insult to anyone who plays B.C. Rich guitars. I believe Terrance Hobbs is another user of this brand, and I don't think he is a 12 year old girl, or Kerry King's extreme metal version.

thejestersgate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:01 pm 

LordOminous wrote:

\m/

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:53 am 

Photos to come in a few weeks. Basically, my gear:

Epiphone Explorer, tuned down to B.
Gibson Les Paul (JUST BOUGHT THIS <333333333333333)
Marshall AVT 50w (JUST BOUGHT THIS TOO YAY)
Boss SpaceEcho Delay Pedal
Vox Bulldog Distortion Pedal
E-bow
Cello Bow
Roland Juno-D keyboard.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Sunkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:17 am 

Caspian, did you buy a Gibson studio or standard?

caspian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:28 am 

A standard honeyburst, 50's style neck. It seems that Gibsons are chambered these days? Compared to my last les paul (which was stolen :( ) this one is unbelievably light, although I think my last one was freakishly heavy.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:58 pm 

Fame Baphomet V
BOSS ME-50b
Warwick Sweet 15.2

As soon as I have the money I'll get a decent 6-string, any ideas? Nothing too much above 1000€ though, since I also need money to not die, etc.

sacredflash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:59 pm 

LordOminous wrote:

haha awesome.

CFH82
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:49 pm 

I have a Dean ML XM;

Sorry for the huge picture.

Marshall Valvestate 10w, Takamine G340 Acoustic and a Samick Strat copy I'm in the process of fixing up.

Almost have enough for a new amp, looking at a Mesa Single Rectifier as my next :D

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:24 am 

Total fucking hair metal!

I play a SG with a JB and Jazz, fucking awesome pick ups I must say. Does anyone else find standard gibson pick-ups too muddy? I really like fender stock pick ups though.

I tried a Mesa combo, two of the three channels were amazing but the third (distortion) was muddy and lifeless.

LordOminous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:35 pm 

CFH82 wrote:
I have a Dean ML XM;

I've got one of them too, in the natural wood colour. I can hardly play it, like! But it's fun to look at, and weighs next to nothing.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:47 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

I play a SG with a JB and Jazz, fucking awesome pick ups I must say. Does anyone else find standard gibson pick-ups too muddy? I really like fender stock pick ups though.

I tried a Mesa combo, two of the three channels were amazing but the third (distortion) was muddy and lifeless.

Mesa amps are for gear-heads, and their tone shaping abilities are phenomenal. You just have to know how to use them.

I'm curious though. Which amp did you play through?

sarcophagid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:08 am 

Drums:
-OSP acoustic kit
-Paiste crash, hi-hat and ride. Zildjian crash and ride.
-Aquarian Super II bass drum heads
-Remo Emperor coated heads on snare, tom toms and floor tom

Mics for recording drums:
The mics that I use to record the drums are 3 Shure SM57 dynamic mics and two MXL 900 condenser mics as my overheads.

Guitar:
-Kramer Pacer FT-202S with GFS Power Rails and a Fat PAF as my humbuckers.

Amp:
-Line 6 Spider III 75W

Mixer:
-Behringer Xenyx 1202

I connect that into my laptop via USB with the Behringer U-Control. I just run my amp through this set up to record both my guitar and drums.

Ancestral - "Fall" track:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wv2k2tekx6o

thejestersgate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:45 am 

Marshall VS 100
Vader 4 12
Jackson RR3 with IceBucker
Fender Gemini 3

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:35 am 

VictimsOfDeception wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Mesa amps are for gear-heads, and their tone shaping abilities are phenomenal. You just have to know how to use them.

It was a combo one of their cheapest around £1000. I can't remember exactly, I didn't do anything that would sound muddy, it took the bass done and it was still muddy. It could have been the guitar though, it wasn't my own. Everyone knows Marshalls are better anyway, Mesas are for nu metal bands and beaners or not.

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:46 am 

Indeed, Marshalls are far superior.

And to answer your original "too muddy" question, I would say that I've had three guitars with gibson standard pick ups and while I wouldn't exactly say they'd rival a telecaster for treble response, I don't find them muddy. Having said that, I'm a sucker for a thick, fat tone, so I can tolerate a lot of low end.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:51 am 

Actually my mate has a Les Paul standard and that isn't muddy at all. So maybe it was a cheaper SG p/u combined with an AVT amp (I'm on strictly tube amps now and all the better for it). I just think some Seymour Duncans do a similar thing but better.

You can't beat a gibson and a marshall for some old fashioned rock crunch or even Iommi-styled sludge.

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:57 am 

I thought the AVT was a strictly tube amp? I hope it is because I was planning on buying one, and the dude was constantly talking it up as all-tube.

..Having said that, it sounded good, so I may just buy it anyway. I'd be annoyed if the guy was lying, though.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:02 pm 

AVT is a mixture of tube and solidstate they call it valvestate, it's not the real thing, strictly speaking.

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:05 pm 

Having a tube pre amp is desirable but I couldn't care less if the power amp is solid state. Hardly any difference in tone unless if you turn it all the way up (which I won't be doing very often), lighter, more reliable and far cheaper to maintain.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:11 pm 

Fair enough, if it's for you. It's just always the case of trying things out before hand, I found I never got the tone I was looking for from an AVT (I had one of the 100 watt combos, not bad at all and certainly reliable). But my JCM and TSL do give me the sounds I want.

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:33 pm 

I guess one difference between or set ups is that I rarely need any sort of subtle crunch tone, whereas you (what with your strange fetish for classic hard rock and whatnot) probably do. I'm either completely clean for acoustic or post-rock times, or I'm on full on distortion.

What's your opinion on a DSL? I've got a friend who swears by them and they're pretty cheap, might be worth trying out.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:58 pm 

Ah yes, the classic rock fetish... but having just a crunchy natural overdrive and then putting on a od pedal makes for actual better distortion in my opinion, I use that kind of stuff on the TSL and put on a Super Overdrive through my Maverick with high output pick ups and I'm into thrash metal territory easily. I've played a DSL quite a bit at a jam night (hence drunk, so I can't remember what model) but it was excellent I thought. Much better than AVT, give one a try out. It had quite a bit of clarity at high volumes and it sounded great through my mates Les Paul.

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:04 pm 

The best distorted tone: Lead channel, full gain + dist pedal, full gain + delay pedal set to 8th notes and reverb.

And yeah the DSL is a lot cheaper and the online reviews are all quite positive, should be good.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:16 pm 

Ha, you ever tried a Big Muff with full gain and possibly a wah pedal put in the wrong position in the effects chain... great fun.

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:25 pm 

Man, the last week or so aside I haven't tried any guitar gear out for ages. I was a poor student for so long; trying things out I could never buy just hurt. Ever since my gear got stolen in '05 I'd been relying on an epiphone explorer and a MG50.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:38 pm 

Well given your tastes, I can't recommend the Big Muff enough. Combined with a LP it'll give suistain that'll last forever.

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:41 pm 

- Ibanez GSR 100L for lefties :D
- Sevilla acoustic guitar

Left to right:
- Yamaha harmonic
- Artesanal Zampoña
- Artesanal Quena (Reed flute)
- Recorded Flute
- Water stick

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:44 pm 

Gnarly fucking dildos dude! Seriously, do you actually play those? Not forming a Roots era Sepultura tribute are you?

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:05 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Gnarly fucking dildos dude! Seriously, do you actually play those? Not forming a Roots era Sepultura tribute are you?
:lol: When I was a child, in my school, was an obligation to learn some folk instruments so they teach me zampoña, reed flute and also the recorded... By the other hand I always liked blues and the sound of harmonic and I like to jamm blues with my guitar...
And the Water stick... well it use to belong to Raven Riley ;)

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:10 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
VictimsOfDeception wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

It was a combo one of their cheapest around £1000. I can't remember exactly, I didn't do anything that would sound muddy, it took the bass done and it was still muddy. It could have been the guitar though, it wasn't my own. Everyone knows Marshalls are better anyway, Mesas are for nu metal bands and beaners or not.

Don't fuck around with their cheaper amps. They're poor representations of Mesa/Boogie.

Everyone knows Marshals are better? Don't make me fucking laugh. Marshals are production amps with printed circuit boards, not to mention you have to turn them up really fucking loud before you get any substantial tone out of them. Don't get me wrong, Marshals can be good amps, but Mesa/Boogie Mark III-IV and Dual Rectifiers shit on anything Marshal have ever done. The versatility they have is astounding, and Marshal have never even come close.

I'm really hoping you're joking about Mesa/Boogies being for nu-metal fags and beaners. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. You're calling Heathen a fucking nu-metal band? Lee Altus has been plugging into Mesas since the fucking 80s. You don't know anything about Mesa/Boogie amps, clearly.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next