Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Frostwolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:06 pm 

Hey everyone!
I'm looking for a good live microphone for versatile extreme metal.
On stage we have a lot going on with 2 guitarists (lots of effects), 1 bass and a drummer - everything usually very loud and in your face, but interspersed by silent moments.
We usually play small locations so the PA is not the best. The vocals are always cranked up near to feedback, but still they mostly get drowned in the mix.

I already own a quite decent mic (Sennheiser E 945), but is there a microphone with a more directional polar pattern that will just pick up my vocals and not the rest?
Which one would you recommend?
I am willing to spend up to ca. 350$, although some ppl tell me that some of the budget solutions might be best (Shure SM57, Rode M1 etc.).
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Frostwolf on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:35 pm 

The Shure SM58 is pretty standard for vocals. If you have an SM57, you can also put a windscreen on it and it's fine for vocals, basically identical. Both cost around $99. Buy it from an authorized dealer because most of the cheaper ones you find are fakes that sound bad. They hold their value very well, but you'll never outgrow having one of these around. If you're spending any more money, then consider getting your own PA for vocals.

If you're getting background noise in the mix during moments without vocals, use a noise gate on the vocals. If you're getting a bit of noise in the microphone from vibration on the floor through the stand, try a high-pass filter at ~100hz.

TuckerofThorrAxe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:47 pm 

SM58s have a little more of a mid bump than a lot of other dedicated vocal mics, which I've always thought helps vocals punch through. Make sure that your stage monitors (if you have vocals coming through them) are aiming at the blind spot on the microphone's polar pattern so there is less chance of a feedback loop.

Frostwolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:46 am 

Thank you for the input!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:21 pm 

If you can afford it, the SM58 beta (with the blue line running around the head) is considerably better than the regular SM58 from my experience. Though the regular one is already really good. Remember, good mic technique contributes a ton!

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:56 pm 

You can't go wrong with a 58. If it's still feeding back, it's something else that's wrong. somefella is bang on with the mic technique comment - make sure that it's not being cupped, that no monitors/PA speakers are pointing at it, that sort of thing. Also make sure to position your face correctly when using it - depending on the angle of your face in relation to the monitors (for example), the sound waves can reflect back into the mic.

Something else to consider would be to maybe invest in a graphic EQ - if you're running your own PA, then it'll be a very wise investment. If you're not using your own PA, then a graphic with an insert cable over the vocal channel would do the job, if necessary. Hell, you could even try a guitar EQ pedal if you're on a super tight budget.

TuckerofThorrAxe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:22 pm 

Also of note is proximity effect on dynamic mics. The closer you get to the mic, the more low end that mic is going to pick up, which may contribute to feedback, depending on your situation. Feedback at it's core is just a signal source continuously replicating itself. Once you eliminate that loop, the feedback goes away.

Reply to topic