Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Rottir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:56 am 

Edit: Cannot get the time stamp to work on the included video, so here is the url if you'd prefer with 15 seconds of lead up.

Obviously, there are a lot of metal songs that pump me up, inspiring impromptu growls or air guitar solos, but the following passage takes the cake for some reason. It makes me want to destroy something:

Youtube: show

The passage starts half a second after 5:05 and ends at around 5:35, with the climax at about 5:19-5:25. After listening to it a few times, the true start might include the drum fill late in 5:03.

The hanging guitars at 5:05 over top of the crawling bass builds tension, which ratcheted into overdrive at 5:13-5:15 as the pacing of the drums, bass, and vocals combines. Then there is a slight calm before the storm, and at 5:19 the tension releases and I want to start wrecking things. The final piece is the little noodle of the lead guitar at 5:21-5:24 which echoes the initial build and release of tension, and yet still satisfies.

After 5:26, the climax starts coming down but is still amazingly powerful. Now, by 5:33 the climax is over and we are into resolution.

---

I am not sure why this affects me so much given that it's an otherwise relatively mellow piece. It could just be my special blend of neurons acting all weird, but that's not the question here.

What are the technical components here, if any? Are their any identifiable elements in the drumming, vocals, bass, or guitars that stand out in a technical sense? I hear hints of dbeats, hints of breakdowns, hints of jazzy bass, hints of odd signatures, but these are all just impressions. I don't have the technical skill to break this down in a meaningful way.

If there are identifiable elements, I would like to start finding them in other bands/songs, or use them in my own.

Help a brother out?

juannaman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:58 pm 

power chords in natural minor and the solo following the chords closely

Reply to topic