Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
skibolky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:10 pm 

well, i got the vsts to load finally but i'm still a newb when it comes to this. (tone sounds shitty) the interface i'm using just records the direct guitar signal on itself so i have to open up the wav file in reaper rather than just recording directly through the daw. i'm just gonna spring for a focusrite scarlet 2i2 when i have the money and possibly amplitube. in the mean time i'm gonna try to download ezdrummer and get familiar with it

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:01 pm 

I would certainly recommend Overloud's TH2 over Amplitude (which is certainly one of the better amp sims). TH2 sounds fucking fantastic, especially for metal tones.

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

skibolky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:13 am 

a friend of mine let me borrow his line 6 ux2 which comes with a pod farm liscense. He's also setting up my 7 string for me tomorrow. but now i need a 1/8th inch to 1/4 inch headphone adapter which i will be picking up tomorrow at samash. http://www.facebook.com/horizonsfadingnc here's my project facebook page if anyone would like it that'd be much appreciated.

B502
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:49 pm 

Nordic_Warhammer wrote:
I would certainly recommend Overloud's TH2 over Amplitude (which is certainly one of the better amp sims). TH2 sounds fucking fantastic, especially for metal tones.

Bias is even batter. You can get an almost real tone off it.

TheMausoleumHorde
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:23 pm 

So my band and I recorded our demo and now that we've kinda taken a break are looking to do our full length. So basically I got a few questions on how I can improve this shit. What mics should I use for drums overheads and bass guitar? I feel like I couldn't get a good bass sound and drum sound without really tweaking and adding a ton of shit on the eq and effects. I feel like mic choice really kept the sound back here. Also the guitar tone is nice and clear but I feel like it's kinda lacking heaviness. I got two shure 57 now instead of one and was kinda told using both in tandem really adds power to the sound. I was also told pillowing in the mics too keep the tone in helps. Any suggestions? Our demo is here if you want to throw some sound suggestions our way.https://themausoleum.bandcamp.com/releases

WolvesPaintedRed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:14 pm 

I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect thread.

When I mic acoustic drums I always run into the issue of the drummer not being able to hear the tempo click track. In Cubase it seems that turning up the click's volume is of no use. The only solution for this issue has been to use noise cancelling headphones to drown out any outside sound. Could anyone recommend to me any solutions?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:23 pm 

If he's using noise cancelling head phones to hear the click track you can feed some of the mic volumes into the headphones as well, right? Then you'd just need to find the right balance between monitoring so the drummer can hear what he's playing in the headphones, and the click.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:19 am 

Sup guys. I was just looking for some advice on recording some demo tracks. I haven't recorded for years and have forgot most of what I know. I have downloaded audacity for recording because it is simple and easy to use from memory, but I'm looking for a cheap mic and bass/drum programming software as I only play guitar. I don't need good quality as I just want to make rough demos. If I could get some recomendations that would be great, it would be good to get someone to critique my mixing as well when I get it all recorded.

Bronan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:56 pm 

I know this post is from 2 years ago, but to anyone looking to start recording, don't use Audacity. It's an audio editor, not a full digital audio workstation (DAW). If you are looking to get started, use Reaper, which is Shareware. You get a free 6 month "trial" but you get to keep using it afterwards. Like WinRAR, it will work forever, as long as you can bear the "please help us and pay for this" message you get every time you load up.

And if you get serious about record, please pay.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:58 am 

I've had the same USB audio interface for over a decade now, and am thinking it's probably about time for an upgrade. But I have no idea what the go-to's are for interfaces these days. What would y'all recommend?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:06 am 

As is tradition in this thread, responding to this wayyyy too late.

The Focusrite Scarlett is what everyone uses nowadays, but it's USB 2.0 and set to become obsolete within the next few years. Thunderbolt / USB 3.0 devices are quickly becoming the norm, but unless you have a very new computer and tons of cash it's best to wait a few years to upgrade to one of those.

Personally I'm a big fan of firewire devices; people seem to think they are obsolete and price them accordingly but they're actually faster than USB 2.0 and you can chain multiple devices together. As long as you have a Mac made in the past ten years or a desktop you'll be able to use firewire. I want to learn how to record acoustic drums, so last week I picked up a Presonus Firepod for $100 off Craigslist, they used to retail for like $800.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:38 pm 

Hey guys. I've been thinking of converting my apartment into a small studio at some point to do some demo recordings. My band is funeral doom/black metal, so something a little lo-fi is totally fine. I have a few questions however:

- Can egg boxes work in a pinch to stop sound escaping into other rooms? We hang tapestries up and the walls are fairly thick anyway but I was wondering it it'd help and how many I'd need. Very budget I know, if anyone can recommend any other ways to stop the sound bleeding out I'd be very appreciative.
- How would recording a physical amp in a small studio apartment turn out? I've got a fairly loud, good quality set of amps ready to go but I'm probably going to spring for a cheap(ish) mic. I'm also probably going to use the same mic to record everything, is that a good idea or should I spring for another one?
- If anyone else can give me any advice on recording under these circumstances, please shoot it at me. I'm very new to recording my music.

Thanks in advance!

~Guest 881392
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:12 am 

narsilianshard wrote:

The Focusrite Scarlett is what everyone uses nowadays, but it's USB 2.0 and set to become obsolete within the next few years. Thunderbolt / USB 3.0 devices are quickly becoming the norm, but unless you have a very new computer and tons of cash it's best to wait a few years to upgrade to one of those.

Personally I'm a big fan of firewire devices; people seem to think they are obsolete and price them accordingly but they're actually faster than USB 2.0 and you can chain multiple devices together. As long as you have a Mac made in the past ten years or a desktop you'll be able to use firewire. I want to learn how to record acoustic drums, so last week I picked up a Presonus Firepod for $100 off Craigslist, they used to retail for like $800.

I can't fathom why you think USB2 is going to be obsolete and then actually mention using firewire. My mind is boggled to say the least. USB 2.0 converters are going to be here for a long time so no problem. Firewire ones on the other hand can be more problematic. That said, I'm still sometimes using my 10 year old Saffire Pro on my laptop for some remote recording with musicians and it works like a charm. I use it to get 8 additional channels from my newer thunderbolt audio card. Also gives me about 20 outputs which can be very useful in some concert situations.

Dr_Fiemost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:50 am 

MRmehman wrote:
- Can egg boxes work in a pinch to stop sound escaping into other rooms? We hang tapestries up and the walls are fairly thick anyway but I was wondering it it'd help and how many I'd need. Very budget I know, if anyone can recommend any other ways to stop the sound bleeding out I'd be very appreciative.

This is an old myth, egg boxes can help avoiding annoying reflections from the walls and make the sound more clear but are in no way insulating the room. Ideally you would need sound absorbing panels and a hollow space between these and walls.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:28 pm 

naudr wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

I can't fathom why you think USB2 is going to be obsolete and then actually mention using firewire. My mind is boggled to say the least. USB 2.0 converters are going to be here for a long time so no problem. Firewire ones on the other hand can be more problematic. That said, I'm still sometimes using my 10 year old Saffire Pro on my laptop for some remote recording with musicians and it works like a charm. I use it to get 8 additional channels from my newer thunderbolt audio card. Also gives me about 20 outputs which can be very useful in some concert situations.

Yeah, I pulled out my several-years-old Focusrite 8i6 version 1, it still works great. Even if the USB's aren't installed in the laptops anymore (which, the writing is on the wall to due the desire for thinner, lighter devices), it will always be possible to do a hub, at least for quite a few years yet. I can't see true obsolescence for a good long time.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:35 pm 

Bronan wrote:
I know this post is from 2 years ago, but to anyone looking to start recording, don't use Audacity. It's an audio editor, not a full digital audio workstation (DAW). If you are looking to get started, use Reaper, which is Shareware. You get a free 6 month "trial" but you get to keep using it afterwards. Like WinRAR, it will work forever, as long as you can bear the "please help us and pay for this" message you get every time you load up.

Reaper is cheap too, even the actual license. Also, it has a small mem/cpu footprint. I'm using it, couldn't be happier, and gladly paid the $60. I spent way more for EZDrummer and a couple amp sims in Amplitude (which were also worth it in my opinion).

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:59 pm 

Dr_Fiemost wrote:
MRmehman wrote:

This is an old myth, egg boxes can help avoiding annoying reflections from the walls and make the sound more clear but are in no way insulating the room. Ideally you would need sound absorbing panels and a hollow space between these and walls.

Thank you for the shout! I guess I'll just record mid-day or something, maybe investing in some sound absorbing panels.

Bronan wrote:

And thank you too for the info about Reaper! I was under the impression it was expensive and was going to resort to using Audacity. Sounds like spending a little time with that program's going to lead to better results.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:51 pm 

MRmehman wrote:
Dr_Fiemost wrote:
MRmehman wrote:

Thank you for the shout! I guess I'll just record mid-day or something, maybe investing in some sound absorbing panels.

Bronan wrote:

And thank you too for the info about Reaper! I was under the impression it was expensive and was going to resort to using Audacity. Sounds like spending a little time with that program's going to lead to better results.

I started using it literally because it's cheap and the memory/CPU footprint is small. After awhile, I just stayed with it. As I've grown recording and mixing, all the features I've needed to progress have been available in Reaper.

I mean, I see all the tutorials online with ProTools. There's nothing there that, in my opinion, justifies the extra cost. Nothing that I can't also do in Reaper. I wound up paying the Reaper license and haven't felt an ounce of regret.

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:28 pm 

DeathFog wrote:
My bass amp has line output, when I tried to tape the bass straight from the amp's output it ended up in overdrive-like effect even on low amp levels. Any suggestions, what is the proper way of doing a line-out recording ?

I experimented with volume levels and it seems that distortion comes from the amp, not from the tape recorder, or bass guitar.

What bass do u have?
Rejoin my soul with thine

Dead_Ivan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:26 pm 

Thank you very much! I'm just about to write black metal.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4