Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6558
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:15 am 
 

Anything that relaxes your vocal folds will probably help with lower notes, so, be relaxed when you sing! Warming up will not only open up your voice, it will also psychologically empower your singing. Be confident, be relaxed.

We all have to settle with what we have. I wish I was a tenor with a soaring voice, but no. There's no easy way to increase your range, it takes huge amounts of practice, discipline and the guidance of an experienced singer.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 4582
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:27 pm 
 

Yeah, practice will do it. Still, one shouldn't worry too much about his vocal type. I'm a baritone but I can hit some high notes in the 5th octave without too much effort at times, depending on how good I've warmed up. I was able to do this before I started taking singing lessons so it really depends on how you handle your vocals I guess.

Top
 Profile  
Poe Ohlin
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:20 pm
Posts: 132
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:43 pm 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Anything that relaxes your vocal folds will probably help with lower notes, so, be relaxed when you sing! Warming up will not only open up your voice, it will also psychologically empower your singing. Be confident, be relaxed.

We all have to settle with what we have. I wish I was a tenor with a soaring voice, but no. There's no easy way to increase your range, it takes huge amounts of practice, discipline and the guidance of an experienced singer.


I wish I could sing opera. But I was given a medicore regular signing voice. However my screams and shrieks are pretty good.

Best piece of advice is practice. Sing to a song you want to have your vocals sound like and eventually you'll get there.

Top
 Profile  
bassistfromhell
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:46 pm
Posts: 6
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:40 pm 
 

So I'm a pretty good Death Metal growler.. I'm the vocalist/bassist for a semi-technical death metal band. My only problem is lyrical content. I just have a hard time putting words to the riffs. Generally our lead guitarist submits the lyrics, but I'd like to contribute my fair share. Any suggestions?

Top
 Profile  
Poe Ohlin
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:20 pm
Posts: 132
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:46 pm 
 

^

Try singing over your playing.

Top
 Profile  
oceanoftime
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:47 pm
Posts: 5
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:12 am 
 

Hey fellow metalheads,

I've been casually growling along to my music for about 5-6 months now, I don't really have any musical talent and I don't know any music theory. But it feels like I'm starting to get somewhere with my vocals, a couple of weeks ago I record a very short audio sample just to see what it would sound like. I wrapped my hands around my mouth to distort the sound a little bit because I don't have a real mic, I am just using my gaming headset that has a mic built in.

So it would be awesome if you guys would listen to it and give me some feedback!

http://www.mediafire.com/?low52vrz1pbdi1r

Top
 Profile  
Seul
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:24 am
Posts: 63
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:41 am 
 

Since this is a 36 page thread, I might have missed this link being posted already (if so, apologies), but this was a straight forward and clear demonstration of fundamentals for distorted vocals from a man who walks the walk. Take it away, Blix!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDBeWutBPBc

Top
 Profile  
broadcastingsilence
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:12 pm 
 

Whenever I exhale scream, I end up doing so through my falsetto voice. What am I doing wrong?

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6558
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:34 pm 
 

broadcastingsilence wrote:
Whenever I exhale scream, I end up doing so through my falsetto voice. What am I doing wrong?

Do you mean that the scream becomes unnaturally high-pitched or shrill? Does it also have a lower-pitched undertone that resembles your normal voice?

...Or are you even talking about harsh vocals?
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
broadcastingsilence
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:37 pm 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
broadcastingsilence wrote:
Do you mean that the scream becomes unnaturally high-pitched or shrill? Does it also have a lower-pitched undertone that resembles your normal voice?

...Or are you even talking about harsh vocals?


Yes, no, and yes.

Maybe I'm using the wrong technical term - I might be meaning to say head voice. The tone ends up sounding like the new guy from Illnath/Donald Duck. It's just bizarre, because whenever I try to do harsh vocals, the same thing always happens.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6558
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:40 pm 
 

You probably have the wrong technique. Apologies, but I can't really give any good instructions.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
StellarGraves
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 180
Location: Israel
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:23 pm 
 

Hey, Im Dani..

New to this forum, 20 years old.. Vocalist..



** This is my cover of "Savege Butchery" by "Cannibal Corpse" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyLB355CHmg

Hope you enjoy and comment,
Thanks!

Top
 Profile  
tolerancezero666
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:35 pm
Posts: 108
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:13 pm 
 

Ok I have a question, it's about inhaled screeches (high pitch inhale)

I am very good at this but I always have to warm up before actually getting the sound I need. For jam sessions it's all right, there is no problem there.
The issue is when I am playing a show; I don't want to warm up in front of everyone, screaming for no reason before it's even time for my set. Is there anyway I can avoid this?

I guess my question is, what is the best way to warm up for a good session of inhaled screeches, besides actually doing it?

p.s. Don't tell me not to drink beer, i'll do it anyway.

Top
 Profile  
garthmargengi
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:16 am
Posts: 482
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:00 am 
 

Then you're an idiot, you want to warm up but you drink cold beverages?
Do regular singing excercises, there's no need to scream or growl to warm up, just sing scales and broken chords.
_________________
Hellige: black/doom metal

Top
 Profile  
tolerancezero666
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:35 pm
Posts: 108
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:36 pm 
 

What exactly happens to your throat when you drink cold beverages?

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5622
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:07 pm 
 

tolerancezero666 wrote:
What exactly happens to your throat when you drink cold beverages?

It tightens, making it more difficult for you to give a fluent delivery.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Fun fact: if you put a baby on a vegan diet, it dies. Vegans are babykillers.

Top
 Profile  
jerk
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:43 am
Posts: 149
Location: Malaysia
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:55 pm 
 

Hey. So I'm trying to teach myself to do death growls. Is there any way to stop them hurting your throat? Also, I would like to know how to get more volume out of them, because they always come out kind of quiet. Thank you in advance.

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5622
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:32 am 
 

jerk wrote:
Hey. So I'm trying to teach myself to do death growls. Is there any way to stop them hurting your throat? Also, I would like to know how to get more volume out of them, because they always come out kind of quiet. Thank you in advance.

Practice. Start with not exactly growls, but gruff singing, like what Lemmy does. Then get progressively more guttural (your throat will gradually get accustomed to it) until you end up with an actual death growl. Also, always have a bottle of warm water (AND ONLY WARM WATER) at hand when practicing your vocals. No idea how to help you with the volume issues, though.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Fun fact: if you put a baby on a vegan diet, it dies. Vegans are babykillers.

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 4582
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:17 pm 
 

Anyone here has/had singing lessons? I need to pick a good song to practice. Some information about myself; I'm a baritone, can sing 3 octaves and my range is F2-F5. Can't think of any fun decent mid range vocal songs that I could learn so I wish you could help me out. Not looking for a song sung with a high tenor range as I won't be able to do it, but the stuff doesn't have to be sung quietly either. Anyway the songs that I tried so far:

Dream Theater's ''Wait for Sleep''

This one goes great. Not too low nor too high sung and my teacher says I can sing it beautiful, smooth and just good.

Dream Theater's ''Pull me Under''

I can nail this song but my voice becomes thin as hell during the watch the sparrow falling part. Except for that part I'm fine with it though.

Virgin Steele's ''I Will Come For You''

Pretty hard...the fluent vocal melodies around 0:50 are hard to hit and I occassionally sound of a tune on those verses.

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5622
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:36 am 
 

Well Colin, I personally find Nightingale songs such as this one and this one to be quite fun to sing along to. I'm also a standard baritone like you, so if I don't have any problems with them, neither should you.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Fun fact: if you put a baby on a vegan diet, it dies. Vegans are babykillers.

Top
 Profile  
CannibalKid
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:43 pm
Posts: 158
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:09 am 
 

So I'm practicing inhaled high screams , but usually end up coughing in the middle of a decent sounding scream, what should I do? Is this just something that all beginners go through, or am I doing something very wrong?

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6558
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:17 pm 
 

CannibalKid wrote:
So I'm practicing inhaled high screams , but usually end up coughing in the middle of a decent sounding scream, what should I do? Is this just something that all beginners go through, or am I doing something very wrong?

I think the general consensus is that inhaled vocals of all kinds are quite damaging. Decide for yourself whether you want to take the risk. The fact that it makes you cough is quite a clear indication that it's not a harmless technique.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
CannibalKid
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:43 pm
Posts: 158
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:18 pm 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
CannibalKid wrote:
So I'm practicing inhaled high screams , but usually end up coughing in the middle of a decent sounding scream, what should I do? Is this just something that all beginners go through, or am I doing something very wrong?

I think the general consensus is that inhaled vocals of all kinds are quite damaging. Decide for yourself whether you want to take the risk. The fact that it makes you cough is quite a clear indication that it's not a harmless technique.


Yeah I'm trying to stop but it's tough because that's the only sort of higher-pitched vocals that I can do at this point..... Any tips on how to do exhale high screams?

Top
 Profile  
Pfuntner
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:33 pm
Posts: 1096
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:51 pm 
 

colin040 wrote:
Anyone here has/had singing lessons? I need to pick a good song to practice. Some information about myself; I'm a baritone, can sing 3 octaves and my range is F2-F5. Can't think of any fun decent mid range vocal songs that I could learn so I wish you could help me out. Not looking for a song sung with a high tenor range as I won't be able to do it, but the stuff doesn't have to be sung quietly either. Anyway the songs that I tried so far:

Dream Theater's ''Wait for Sleep''

This one goes great. Not too low nor too high sung and my teacher says I can sing it beautiful, smooth and just good.

Dream Theater's ''Pull me Under''

I can nail this song but my voice becomes thin as hell during the watch the sparrow falling part. Except for that part I'm fine with it though.

Virgin Steele's ''I Will Come For You''

Pretty hard...the fluent vocal melodies around 0:50 are hard to hit and I occassionally sound of a tune on those verses.


Maybe some Pain of Salvation? Although Gildenlow is prone to absurd high notes every now and then, he is a baritone, and sings around the same range as some DT stuff.
_________________
Random Child : http://randomchild.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 4582
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:44 am 
 

Any specific songs you could recommend me? I'm also not sure wether I'm a bass-baritone (probably not), baritone or a high baritone.

Anyway, songs that I had in mind were Dream Theather's ''To Live Forever'' (clean version), maybe Virgin Steele's ''Immortal I Stand'' will be ok to do as well. It's vacation now so I should try these and see how it goes.

Top
 Profile  
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:27 pm
Posts: 1184
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:39 pm 
 

alright, I'm sure you guys're probably tired of hearing this question but. . . how exactly do you scream like Corpsegrinder?? I can do the Chris Barnes/Mike Majewski guttural diarrhea vocals. I can do the gruff mid-range Glen Benton growling and I can do Shagrath style screaming. I can even play bass/guitar and sing at the same time but ask me to do a Corpsegrinder/Glen Benton yell and I can't fucking do it.
Maybe my throat isn't capable of doing such? Which would be weird seeing as how I can do pretty much any harsh vocal style except that.
_________________
محارب البلاك ميتال

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6558
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:48 am 
 

My technique for sewer vocals is complete unlike theirs I think, however I do it simply by opening up my mouth whereas during the low growls I create a cup effect with my mouth. A grinning grimace ranging from ear to ear, essentially. You probably need lots more nasal resonance is all.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5622
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:01 pm 
 

Ilwhyan, have you received formal vocal training? I ask because you strike me as quite knowlegdeable when it comes to vocal techniques and theory.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Fun fact: if you put a baby on a vegan diet, it dies. Vegans are babykillers.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6558
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:10 pm 
 

Xlxlx wrote:
Ilwhyan, have you received formal vocal training? I ask because you strike me as quite knowlegdeable when it comes to vocal techniques and theory.

None whatsoever, though my instrument lessons in the past have included some amount of basic music theory. Don't overestimate the quality of my advice, therefore.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5622
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:19 pm 
 

Okay man, I'll take that into account. Now, back to vocal coaching; does anyone know how Peter Tagtgren screams like in this song at 3:31? Those ghoulish shrieks sound ridiculously unhealthy, yet he's been doing them for years without a problem. Can anyone enlighten me on how you are supposed to do that?
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Fun fact: if you put a baby on a vegan diet, it dies. Vegans are babykillers.

Top
 Profile  
garthmargengi
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:16 am
Posts: 482
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:50 pm 
 

It's just a high shriek, there's not much to it, and it doesn't sound unhealty, it sounds like the guy knows what he's doing in my opinion.
On the matter of explaining, sorry there, I never figured how to explain growling and shrieking and that stuff, it's something you just find out how to do.
_________________
Hellige: black/doom metal

Top
 Profile  
PillarofModern
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:31 pm
Posts: 47
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:32 pm 
 

In my opinion Jens Kidman of Meshuggah's vocals are superior. His drill-sergeant power amazes me! I cannot sing like that for more than half an hour before I get hoarse. Yet, on live shows he restrains them a little bit, but in the studio he goes all out. I can imagine steam pissing out of his ears as he screams. Who else can sing like this?

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5622
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:18 am 
 

garthmargengi wrote:
It's just a high shriek, there's not much to it, and it doesn't sound unhealty, it sounds like the guy knows what he's doing in my opinion.

By "unhealthy", I mean that it sounds like no normal throat could produce such a sound without some kind of later consequence. I actually think that only Peter can scream exactly like that, as those sorts of shrieks are only something I've heard from him.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Fun fact: if you put a baby on a vegan diet, it dies. Vegans are babykillers.

Top
 Profile  
TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:34 pm
Posts: 590
Location: In your basement
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:45 am 
 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGS8LBWB ... re=related
I must know how a human being attains this sound from his throat.
_________________
The Book Of Wayne Another shitty bedroom project

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5622
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:00 am 
 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGS8LBWBGus&feature=related
I must know how a human being attains this sound from his throat.

By using a pitch shifter?
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Fun fact: if you put a baby on a vegan diet, it dies. Vegans are babykillers.

Top
 Profile  
garthmargengi
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:16 am
Posts: 482
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:47 am 
 

Indeed, really crappy work of pitchshifting (down), you can do it easily with audacity (or any other audio editor, but that one's free).
_________________
Hellige: black/doom metal

Top
 Profile  
TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:34 pm
Posts: 590
Location: In your basement
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:55 am 
 

Bah tis rearded, how any self respecting band would tour knowing some of the most inhuman vocals ever laid down were just studio trickery is beyond me.
_________________
The Book Of Wayne Another shitty bedroom project

Top
 Profile  
StellarGraves
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 180
Location: Israel
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:14 am 
 

Dude.. Like 80% of real Gore/Porn Grind bands use shifters..

Top
 Profile  
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:27 pm
Posts: 1184
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:22 pm 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
My technique for sewer vocals is complete unlike theirs I think, however I do it simply by opening up my mouth whereas during the low growls I create a cup effect with my mouth. A grinning grimace ranging from ear to ear, essentially. You probably need lots more nasal resonance is all.

I've tried that but I always end up letting out some high pitched Burzum wail instead of what I'm trying to do. It's bullshit, man. . . BULLSHIT!!!!
*grabs pills*
_________________
محارب البلاك ميتال

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6558
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:07 am 
 

You simply have a different technique then. Not knowing what it is I can't even say whether it allows such vocals.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 44  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group