Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:00 pm 

Let me just start by saying that I'm not quite sure in which subforum I should post this, but here goes nothing. Basically I'd like some discussion on the quality of gear that is needed for certain subgenres of metal. For the most expensive gear the first subgenre that came to my mind is drone, believe it or not. Now I don't know a lot about guitars, but it seems to me that in order to achieve that extreme sustain (along with other effects) you'd need quite a high quality guitar and amplifier. When it comes to the least expensive gear, black metal is probably an obvious contender, but even then I'm not quite sure and would like to hear some other thoughts/views/opinions. Oh, and ofcourse this is not only about guitars. If you know anything about drums, bass or anything else (except for vocals I guess) I'm excited to hear what you have to say.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:15 pm 

you don't even need a ton of stuff for drone either. one of my friends does his albums with a single guitar a 112 and a miniamp. So you are off about that as well.

everything can be done on the cheap for a reasonable/good sounding release.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:48 am 

Each genre does indeed have specific requirements in terms of production values. However, even though a genre can be relatively strict about production, it doesn't necessitate expensive choices, and it can be the opposite, like with black metal.

From my experience, the single most expensive thing is recording an acoustic drum set. It isn't necessarily expensive to do, but everything else you normally have in a metal band is usually cheaper to record. The more the music depends on high-quality acoustic drums, the costlier it will be to produce. In that sense, technical death metal is the most expensive genre. However, the drum performances in that style can also be utterly robotic, to the point of being replaceable with programmed drums, or heavy-handed sampling, quantising and other processing, so that even an electric drum set can be used.

Getting massive feedback out of guitar or bass gear isn't necessarily expensive. Ideally, you'll want at least a half-stack with a valve amp head, but those aren't necessarily expensive.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:59 pm 

It's the music that counts, not the sound.

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:22 pm 

I would say as far as metal goes old Black Metal comes to mind. One of the main reasons I say this is because of Burzum. I saw an interview where Varg had stated he wanted one of the earlier albums/demos to be very basic. For the vocals he didn't use a mic, he used an old set of headphones. He did all of the vocals through that. Yes, I know he did this in an attempt to get a rougher, more raw sound. It show though that an album can really be done for a very low cost if so desired. The Burzum albums are considered masterpieces in that world by some.

As was stated though any style can be recorded for a low budget and it can come out sounding great. If the musicianship is there. Most bands go into their first album broke, with little equipment, or basic guitars/amps/keys etc. Think about how many bands you love their first album. Even sometimes its a fans favorite album by an artist/band. Most of these bands were broke. The money they were using for the studio time/gear were are advances from the label. Studios are not a cheap endeavor by any means. Each member if they were smart usually picks up a new guitar, some new drumheads and put the rest into the small fortune that is costs for studio time.

As stated though if the musicianship is there, a great album can be made with just the guitar going straight to the amp. Basic shit, drum set mic'd up. Don't ever believe someone is limited if they are talented, but do not have a stack of amps, with countless guitars, countless pedals and everything else under the sun.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Last edited by Timeghoul on Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackheartSauron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:49 pm 

I'm guessing if you want to do symphonic stuff, and have a decent sound, you'll need good sound library/software, or even hire someone to do orchestrations for you, which might be expensive.

FrothyYogurt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:09 pm 

BlackheartSauron wrote:
I'm guessing if you want to do symphonic stuff, and have a decent sound, you'll need good sound library/software, or even hire someone to do orchestrations for you, which might be expensive.

This. Symphonic metal is really the only subgenre that comes to my mind that could be costly to produce for the reasons quoted above. If a person wants to make music at home that would woo the folks in Xanthochroid, not only would they need sound libraries, but also a solid computer with the RAM and CPU to properly process everything.

Metal music overall is relatively cheap to make. The core sound of metal outside of the heavily-layered symphonic variety is really just guitar, bass, drums, and vocals. The vast amount of free plugins to take advantage of also cuts cost greatly--from amp sims by LePou, to various mixing tools, and also synths if you want to add atmosphere. Just plug them all into a free download of Reaper and you're good to have fun and experiment.

BlackheartSauron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:15 am 

Quote:
Metal music overall is relatively cheap to make

Well, I wouldn't say that. Stuff like synthpop or hiphop can be properly produced in a bedroom with 1 microphone and a laptop - 'cause all the sounds besides vocals are synthesized.
And there isn't a ton of effort mixing it, because all synthesized sounds are devoid of noise.
And it all takes 1 person to make. Maybe 2 (1 for writing music and recording vocals, and 1 to do proper mixing).

Producing metal properly is quite expensive because of drum recordings alone. This is the single hardest thing to record.
And that's why many people opt for programming drums instead. But is it "proper"? You have to agree it's a compromise made to save costs.

Also recording guitars may include quite some amount of noise, especially on high gain. Which makes mixing somewhat harder I presume.
And then you need people to play and sing the harsh vocals. And oftentimes there might be 2, 3 or even 4 kinds of vocals (harsh low, harsh high, clean male and clean female, for example), keyboards, and then maybe string quartet, orchestrations, "folk" instruments etc.
It takes a lot more people, or better more versatile people (vocalists who can do all kinds of vocals, multi-instrumentalists etc), and they all want to eat...

So I say metal is relatively expensive. But of course you can have just the bare minimum band like Sodom used to be: bassist/vocalist, guitarist and a drummer. And go for programmed drums. Or even have a one-man band (but these very rarely excel in "production values" TBH).

Or you can go in the vogue of recording metal band with an orchestra...

But then again there are probably quite some issues recording anything that uses the orchestra to begin with, and it may be way harder than recording barebone metal band.

It's all in comparison.

Reply to topic