Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:50 am 

So I've been a bass player for a couple years now and one thing I've wanted to do for a very long time is do bass covers on Youtube. Now that I actually have a camera and some decent recording equipment, I've finally got the channel up and running! I have a few covers already, so please let know what you think of them! Any feedback, criticism, suggestions, things like that are much appreciated.

My most recent, Judas Priest - "Stained Class":
Youtube: show

My first one, Anthrax - "Lone Justice":

Budgie - "I Can't See My Feelings":

My bass covers. Latest cover: Black Sabbath - "Hand of Doom"

MawBTS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:42 pm 

I really like your tone, man. What's your setup/signal chain?

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:59 pm 

On all of my videos so far the bass is going into a Genz Benz Contour 500 2X12. I mic it up with a Shure Beta 52a and give it some compression and basic EQing, usually just adjusting mids and stuff. Glad you like it!

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:33 pm 

New cover:

cacaman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:51 am 

Yes, great sound!
Ive watched Powersurge & Lone Justice, i must say you did a good job Image
There are small play-in-time problems for Powersurge, here & there your playing is very slightly shifted.
Other than that your feeling is nice and the finger technique is good for a guy who plays bass for a couple years (well im no bass player but as a guitarist it seemed to me your moves were precise and agile). Lone Justice was awesome. Keep on playing!

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:39 am 

Thank you very much! I appreciate the feedback. Thanks for pointing out the problems with Powersurge too, I like to know when I'm off even a little. Hopefully that one still turned out OK? I'm still having trouble getting used to being on camera while playing; I know that isn't a big deal but it throws me off big time. Once I put more and more of them up, things should get smoother. Thanks again!

cacaman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:06 am 

As for having problems while playing on cam, just get used to it by filming yourself playing as soon as you can do an entire song.
I used to train hard on a song before trying to record it, but now i record all the time. Most of the shots are good for trash (especially at the beginning of the practice) but who cares, nobody will watch'em lol

Powersurge is overall well done, one have to listen to it carefully to notice imperfections.
You already sound more than decent despite your lack of experience and if you're not content with this, that's a good thing cause it means you got a large room for progress :)

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:40 am 

Sweet, thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated. I am still quite young but I'm really happy with how far I've come along in such short time. I've already been able to play in multiple bands and I'm quite confident in my abilities but I'm always looking for ways to improve my playing. I've thought about recording all the time but never really did so, I think I'll give it a shot. I should have a few more covers coming shortly too. Thanks again! :)

Reply to topic