Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NekroGoat666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:51 pm 

My drummer in my upcoming band has talked me into getting another guitarist, I like the idea, I really do, but I keep thinking of the pros and cons.

Pros - More flexibility with creativness, thicker sound
Cons - I'm naturally a bit picky with even the shit I write, it has to pass a certain "test" to my ears, so I'd look like a douche if I knocked down anything brought to the table by the other guitarist . I'm also afraid of a style/sound conflict. I'd hate to get in something like that.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:38 pm 

Literally depends on you can work with someone and if your music requires or would be elevated by having 2. I think 2 are always best for multiple reasons towards the creation of the music. be it more ideas brought to the table, more trade offs in riffs and solos that sound better. band sounds fuller. i've mainly been a drummer and I always liked 2 guitarists but never had then in the bands I drummed in except my newest one. When I played bass, only two bands had dual guitarists and it was killer once it came together. when I played guitar in a couple of bands. only once and I would be the secondary guitarist since I came in after the fact and i purposefully wrote to make my presence worth keeping around in songs they had already.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:32 am 

Two guitarists. I once played in a group where I was the only guitarist, and it was quite limiting, to be honest. You have to hold down the fort, and you aren't really allowed to be fancy or do a lot of lead-playing. That band ended up hiring a second guitarist for that reason, and the sound improved as a result.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:27 am 

It all depends on the sound the band is trying to accomplish, and what the approach to harmony/melody is. In an extreme metal context, I prefer having two guitar players, though other styles of music certainly benefit from having a "less is more" approach.

Spawning Vats - MS Death Metal

Tubbs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:58 pm 

I guess I'm in the minority in that I usually prefer one guitarist, mainly to let the bass player stand out more. I've learned to appreciate and even prefer the raw sound of guitar leads with just a bassist playing under them. They could always kick on distortion or whatever too. I'd also disagree on having another guitarist making things more creative, at least in my case. I've always had issues having to compromise my parts when I bring another guitarist in, either because they're not that good and I have to water down the material or they're up to par but step all over my parts with their own. Now, I'm not saying two guitarists is a bad thing, but it entirely depends on the type of musician and songwriter you are.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:28 pm 

I prefer two, because it allows for fuller writing in that you can have a strong melody while you still have the second guitar getting the chord and the bass laying the field everything stands on, Think of it like a strings section with the leads, winds section for the rhythm, and brass section with the bass, then of course drums as percussion and vocals between winds and strings. Synth can be added as a higher brass section as well of course. If you feel it's a wall of notes that are too similar, dissect each chord of your song and apply say the roots to the bass, the 3rds and fifths to the rhythm, then the melody could be the 7ths or an octave up but overall just as long as it is in the key structure.

Reply to topic