Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AlmightyHades
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:21 pm 

I'm looking for the ways of playing and composing post-metal songs. The bands I listen to, and define themselves as post metal, are usually influenced by sludge metal and black metal. For example, Pelican, Cult of Luna, Isis , are the bands with focus on sludgy atmospheres, and bands like Deafheaven are focusing on black metal styled atmospheres.
What I found about all these "post metal" stuff is that the musicians don't follow the rules (for example Deafheaven uses major scale and their music sounds happ, and not evil at all :D), and also, a lot of post-metal musicians use one or two chords with a down-tuned guitar and play.
I am really confused, but I also like to play post-metal (in style of bands like Pelican).
What do you suggest?

awheio
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:54 pm 

Generally, I don't think it's a good idea to aim for a particular genre. Of course, you don't want to be totally without that kind of direction either, unless you truly have a mastery of techniques and combinations, etc., all the stuff that makes up genres in the first place -- that's where really masterful, unique stuff comes from. But aiming for a particular genre can lead to just being super derivative, unoriginal, and ultimately, insignificant.

Moreover, post-metal is extremely diverse. If you want to play like Pelican, then all you gotta do is sit down and start analyzing their music. Someone could do this for you, but you'd learn much less. Get out a pen and paper. Ask yourself what kinds of riffs they use: What scales do these melodies fit into? What kind of picking is employed? What's the tone like? And ask yourself what kind of tones they use, and track the changes of tones. Do the riffs and their tones make an atmospheric feeling? If so, why? Is it in the riffs, or the production, or what? Train your ears to pick up on differences of these kinds. Think about the song structures: Write down every section, note how many times each repeats, and the orders in which they do so. If you go about things this way, you'll have a really good understanding of why the bands you like sound the way they do, and then you'll be able to sound similar if you want. If you do this for other bands as well, you'll have a growing mastery of how to generate different types of sounds, and so you might be able to do something new by combining things. But to do that really well, you'll need to think even more abstractly about why these particular styles sound good, and whether combining them with other elements will be appropriate or rather clunky and ill conceived.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:54 pm 

dont perpetuate this trend

Reply to topic