* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:47 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
NeglectedField wrote:
I restrung my bass yesterday with a sensible gauge, it sounds a lot less sloppy now, and more piano-like and steely.
I love that sound.

Recently restrung my bass as well, but Ive gotta fool around with the action a bit.

Yeah I had to as well. Had a 30-90 set on beforehand which required low action. Stupid idea, that gauge. Never again.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:32 pm 

What's a good bass head to get that costs no more than £300/$600?

genocide_roach
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:26 am 

maybe one of these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=482587 (i can personally say this is a great amp, especially with their neo cabs)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=480315

each of those has a little brother that is cheaper with less power.
~gR~

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:29 pm 

Yeah I tried the Peavey Tour 450, that had a great sound (the octave option is fucking eeevil) but wasn't super loud, though I didn't try cranking it up much.

BullHorn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:39 pm 

30-90, ew.

I play with 45-105 with fullstep down tuning.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:29 am 

BullHorn wrote:
30-90, ew.

I play with 45-105 with fullstep down tuning.

At the moment I'm on 40-95 (4-string) or something like that now. It's just about right.

I only chose 30-90 cos I wanted to try super fast slap stuff. Not any more though.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:07 pm 

is really, really fucking overrated I don't want silly bass tapping all the time, sure he can play but its really not my style of bass playin

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:44 pm 

How do thicker/thinner strings affect the sound ? I seek after a soft and warm sound. I mostly solo on bass.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:47 pm 

Then you will probably want a thicker gauge. The size and type of strings you buy do indeed affect the timbre, although it's rather subtle. You might want some flatwound strings too, but they are rather expensive.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:39 pm 

Thicker strings tend to be more piano-like, thinner ones more clunky.

DeathFog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:46 pm 

Bought Hard Rockin' Steel by La Bella for the sake of experiment, shop assistant said they would fit my needs well enough.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:36 pm 

Ah niiice, the secondhand Peavey Tour 700 I bought off eBay comes tomorrow.

Also I may have to part with my 4-string so that I may purchase a 5-string...

dch528
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:12 pm 

I guess using a fretless is more useful on progressive metal or anything more improvisational music. As for 3 finger picking... its pretty damn hard! I cant imagine playing the stuff that John Myung and Billy Sheehan are playing!

DeathFog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:58 am 

dch528 wrote:
I guess using a fretless is more useful on progressive metal or anything more improvisational music. As for 3 finger picking... its pretty damn hard! I cant imagine playing the stuff that John Myung and Billy Sheehan are playing!

For me 3 fingers is the normal way of picking, I barely ever use 2 fingers. In some places during my improvisations I use 4 fingers. I can play with 5 fingers as well, but I haven't composed anything decent sounding using that method.

http://thehellpatrol.googlepages.com/Ba ... sation.mp3 . Here I play with 3 fingers, and in some places I used 4 fingers.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:21 pm 

I can play longer when I'm using three fingers but I'll use two when I'm playing a lot of staccato notes.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:26 am 

Wow... never even checked out this section..

yeah, I've been playing for about 10 years... I would consider myself decent but I need to work more on my theory knowledge.

Hate picks... alternating is way better. Better tone, better speed (eventually) and more practical with such large strings.

DeathFog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:06 am 

Pick is good for playing tremolo stuff, which you can't play with fingers, or for some no-fancy Thrash. And after all you achieve more clarity that way.

Example : http://thehellpatrol.googlepages.com/ThrashRiffs1.mp3

I prefer fingers for soloing, since it is impossible to do some things with pick.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:51 pm 

I am officially selling my 4-string bass now (pics of it a few pages back in this sticky) £250 or good offers (my suggested price gets the gig bag too), you'll have to pick it up from Leeds though.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:29 am 

Ive probably asked this more than 5 times, but i really want to a know a bass that is great for metal and is a great price. It is my birthday in a couple of days. Also, the reason i have asked this again is because people dont ever give me a straight answer they just tell me like 100 diffreent basses. So can you try to leave the bass recomondations to about 1 per post.

DeathFog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:31 pm 

latinfiestacarnage wrote:
Ive probably asked this more than 5 times, but i really want to a know a bass that is great for metal and is a great price. It is my birthday in a couple of days. Also, the reason i have asked this again is because people dont ever give me a straight answer they just tell me like 100 diffreent basses. So can you try to leave the bass recomondations to about 1 per post.

What are your criteria ? Do you realize that saying "I want to play metal" is not enough ? To recommend you something I must know what are you requirements to bass, for example : the neck dimensions, pick-up type, requirements to sound, bridge.

Not knowing anything, I can suggest you the bass I use myself. Ibanez SRX-300 . It is loud, growly and has a very powerful low frequencies. It is equipped with two humbuckers and an active EQ. You should not expect Jazz Bass or Precision Bass type of sound, this bass is not meant for it, though if you try hard and you have enough of skills you can achieve a relatively soft and smooth sound. Absolutely suitable for metal. I like the fact that it has quite a thin and narrow neck at the top.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:23 pm 

Yamaha RBX-374 or 375 (4 and 5-string respectively depending on what you want). Is looking like a very popular cheap bass at the moment. I plan on acquiring a 5-string one soon.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:00 pm 

NeglectedField wrote:
Yamaha RBX-374 or 375 (4 and 5-string respectively depending on what you want). Is looking like a very popular cheap bass at the moment. I plan on acquiring a 5-string one soon.
Definitely worth it. I've had a 375 for 2 or so years and it still plays rather well, though I think it's time for an upgrade cause I wore the hell out of it like I always do.

DeathFog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:37 pm 

NeglectedField wrote:

I think that Ibanez and Cort basses for that price feel more natural. Yamaha basses always seemed "plastic" to me. Dean basses of the same price range also seem better to me.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:33 pm 

DeathFog wrote:
NeglectedField wrote:

I think that Ibanez and Cort basses for that price feel more natural. Yamaha basses always seemed "plastic" to me. Dean basses of the same price range also seem better to me.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/produc ... 1824%2e184
That is the one i went for. 440 bucks canadian. FUCKING WICKED

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:51 pm 

DeathFog wrote:
NeglectedField wrote:

I see what you mean there actually, but I fell in love when I played the RBX375. I think at £200 it's better than any Ibanez or Cort at that price (and is made out of alder as opposed to agathis), though if I had more I would look more at the latter.

Perhaps I might try some Dean basses if I see any.

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:35 pm 

how loose would the strings be on a 4 string bass if it tuned to B standard?

epitaph42
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:57 pm 

HumanWaste5150 wrote:

As loose as you want.. Its all about the setup on the bass & what kind of strings your using

epitaph42
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:08 pm 

If your a beginner, in my opinion it doesnt really matter what bass you'll start with. If you have no idea what you want from a bass, then the best solution is to buy something as used - play as many basses as possible, this will help you to find out what your really looking for. Cheap (low-end) basses can usually be sold for what you've purchased them for (thats how I manage)

epitaph42
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:18 pm 

And here's a few pictures of my current basses:

- Spector NS4CR

- Spector Rebop 5

And here's one I just won from Ebay recently, dont have it in hand yet:
- Spector NS2A

I'm currently trying to sell my Rebop, so I could purchase a Modulus Q5. I've played for about three and a half years so far.

Last edited by epitaph42 on Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:46 pm 

Nice stuff. I've been thinking about getting a Spector, love the feel, but they tend to be a bit pricey for me at the moment :(

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:43 am 

epitaph42 wrote:
HumanWaste5150 wrote:

As loose as you want.. Its all about the setup on the bass & what kind of strings your using

A bass and a pair of strings that were meant for E ? would it become unplayable?

epitaph42
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:23 pm 

HumanWaste5150 wrote:
epitaph42 wrote:
HumanWaste5150 wrote:

A bass and a pair of strings that were meant for E ? would it become unplayable?

Having more thick strings will help you eliminate the floppy-feeling,
I would personally use atleast a 115-50 set. Another choice is to buy a 5-string set and just use the four thickest strings, see what suits the best for yourself.

Also take note, that most of the 4-string basses and especially the cheapest-end products have weak pick-ups and simply havent been designed to handle such low frequencies - causing most of the stuff played from B to sound muddy

epitaph42
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:26 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
Nice stuff. I've been thinking about getting a Spector, love the feel, but they tend to be a bit pricey for me at the moment :(

I would definetly recommend to use ebay!
I snagged my Rebop for 425$ + shipping.. Cant tell how much of a bargain it is for the price

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:46 pm 

Today I purchased a Yamaha RBX375. It's lovely, but my bank did a random security check so I had to spend ages with the assistant finding out what sort of security password I left.

That old Ibanez of mine can now be found on ebay UK, but you'll have to pick it up.

DeathFog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:58 pm 

DeathFog wrote:
NeglectedField wrote:

Good choice, but what for did you buy a 4 string bass ?

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:55 pm 

DeathFog wrote:
DeathFog wrote:
NeglectedField wrote:

Good choice, but what for did you buy a 4 string bass ?

What are you trying to ask me?

Reaper43
Painsponge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:03 am 

Edit: I need to pay closer attention when I post sometimes. :lol:

Last edited by Reaper43 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeathFog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:35 pm 

Wrong assumptions. Put 5 instead of 4 and you will understand the question.

Reaper43
Painsponge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:39 pm 

Oops, fucked up major there, sorry Deathfog.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:38 pm 

DeathFog wrote:
Wrong assumptions. Put 5 instead of 4 and you will understand the question.

Because i like having the extra string. The deeper sound is great.

I want to know some intermediate songs to play on bass. Either Black or Death metal

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 51  Next