Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:29 pm 

Eligosianblasphemy wrote:
I was making a statement about metal bassists who play slap, anyway. Webster doesn't, IIRC. And he's far from the best.

What's the big thing about the slapping ? Metal is by far not the most appropriate genre of music to display slapping skills in the traditional fashion. Also I fail to see, how slapping defines the level of bass player's skills.

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:46 pm 

Wiggl3s wrote:
Atheist, Cryptopsy, Vile, and Pitbulls in the Nursery would disagree.

Cannibal Corpse. Their bassist is pretty much the best bassist in death.

It's all relative. How could Alex Webster possibly be better than DiGiorgio, Patterson, Choy, Malone, Tyr, Caspersen, etc?

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:53 pm 

DeathFog wrote:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9a2vto

Here is the latest recording by my band (Black Metal). Guitar and bass. This serves a good illustration, to my post earlier in this thread, where we were talking about different approaches to building the bass parts. There are three songs, in the archive, I suggest taking a closer look at the second one, called The Wanderings. On this recording I was playing in D, as opposed to guitar player's E, so it allowed me to go lower, than I would be able in the standard tuning.

It would be interesting to hear your opinions.

Some good playing there. Some of the trem picking parts in The Wanderings were a little off from guitars, but that was all that was really off I think. Really like your style.

Eligosianblasphemy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:44 pm 

DeathFog wrote:
I was making a statement about metal bassists who play slap, anyway. Webster doesn't, IIRC. And he's far from the best.

What's the big thing about the slapping ? Metal is by far not the most appropriate genre of music to display slapping skills in the traditional fashion. Also I fail to see, how slapping defines the level of bass player's skills.

Alright, here's the order of things to clear everything up.

1. Chris says that slap bass doesn't go over well in death metal.
2. I mention the slap bass played in songs by Atheist, Cryptopsy, Vile, and Pitbulls in the Nursery.
3. Wiggles mentions Cannibal Corpse, because he thinks their bassist is the best
4. I say that Alex Webster doesn't play slap and therefore doesn't relate to my list.
5. I also said that he isn't the best in metal.

Slap doesn't necessarily define a bass player's skill. But it is a skill that takes talent, and it is impressive on many occasions.

What the fuck is with people saying shit is appropriate in metal, or that there isn't enough creative space for bass guitar. Jesus Christ. Play music the way you want to, for crying out loud. Slap sounds great in metal.

chrissmith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:02 am 

for the record chris (me) said that it usually wasnt found because it usually didn't fit the context. i did however say sometimes it did, and i really don't care what people do in their music. I think its all about getting the sound you want, or at least it is for me. i really don't care what other people think about my music. you either like it or you don't. if you don't than I am willing to listen to advice, but I'm not gonna completely change because people don't like it. and metal is all about breaking the norms, I don't think all this categorizing really matters. Its all just people doing what they want how they want.

DeathFog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:31 am 

DeathFog wrote:

2. I mention the slap bass played in songs by Atheist, Cryptopsy, Vile, and Pitbulls in the Nursery.
3. Wiggles mentions Cannibal Corpse, because he thinks their bassist is the best
4. I say that Alex Webster doesn't play slap and therefore doesn't relate to my list.

Slap doesn't necessarily define a bass player's skill. But it is a skill that takes talent, and it is impressive on many occasions.

What the fuck is with people saying shit is appropriate in metal, or that there isn't enough creative space for bass guitar. Jesus Christ. Play music the way you want to, for crying out loud. Slap sounds great in metal.

Thank you for clearing the things up.

As for what is appropriate in metal and what is not. I don't mind the usage of slapping in metal, neither did I say so. For example one of my favourite albums is Blind Illusion's Sane Asylum and the bass player in question is Les Claypool. The album is barely Metal at times and that's where it's charm lies. But this is a rare example of a tasteful incorporation of non metal stylistics. In most cases slapping really contrasts with the rest of music. You cannot blend everything with everything, there are some things that go well together and some that do not.

DeathFog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:33 am 

vashts80 wrote:
DeathFog wrote:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9a2vto

Here is the latest recording by my band (Black Metal). Guitar and bass. This serves a good illustration, to my post earlier in this thread, where we were talking about different approaches to building the bass parts. There are three songs, in the archive, I suggest taking a closer look at the second one, called The Wanderings. On this recording I was playing in D, as opposed to guitar player's E, so it allowed me to go lower, than I would be able in the standard tuning.

It would be interesting to hear your opinions.

Some good playing there. Some of the trem picking parts in The Wanderings were a little off from guitars, but that was all that was really off I think. Really like your style.

Thank you for the feedback ! Giving the recording a more thorough listen I did notice going faster than guitar in that tremolo part. By the way I play an octave higher in that part.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm 

DeathFog wrote:
Thank you for clearing the things up.

As for what is appropriate in metal and what is not. I don't mind the usage of slapping in metal, neither did I say so. For example one of my favourite albums is Blind Illusion's Sane Asylum and the bass player in question is Les Claypool. The album is barely Metal at times and that's where it's charm lies. But this is a rare example of a tasteful incorporation of non metal stylistics. In most cases slapping really contrasts with the rest of music. You cannot blend everything with everything, there are some things that go well together and some that do not.

Death Angels's Discontinued from Act III has a great slap bass line and is definately metal. It's another example of how things can be used when applied right!

Wiggl3s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:47 pm 

DeathFog wrote:

Cannibal corpse' bassist is the best death metal bassist I've heard. The all-around-skill, IMO, is a cat named Masaki. In this band, http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3540276854 you can really tell. It's really J-Pop-esque n shit but i mostly just listen to the bass lines.

I do agree with every thing else you said though. It depends on what you're playing. Slap with distortion works well. Clean slap in something like a doom band, probably not so much.

DeathFog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:08 pm 

Quote:
Cannibal corpse' bassist is the best death metal bassist I've heard.

I request facts that would prove your position.

Wiggl3s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:02 pm 

Hammer Smashed Face

Last edited by Wiggl3s on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eligosianblasphemy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:56 pm 

Fail.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:42 pm 

Wiggl3s wrote:
Hammer Smashed Face

The proof I needed for my theory that you started playing bass two weeks ago and think you are superior because you have tuition or whatever.

Thankyou.

P.S: Cannibal Corpse is shit. Webster shows his playing much better in Blotted Science. Even still, he isn't the best in the biz by a long shot.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:44 pm 

Wiggl3s wrote:
Hammer Smashed Face

They have much harder songs on bass than Hammer Smashed Face. Clearly you don't have much of an idea what you're talking about.

Even so, it's extremely difficult to make a case for Webster being the best - simply when you have guys like Patterson, Choy, DiGiorgio, LaPointe, Caspersen, Tiwaz, Norberg, Langlois, Vicotnik, etc etc - just in extreme metal.

Then you have guys like Malone (who, while he did play on "Focus", is a jazz/fusion teacher and bass player), the dude from Intronaut, Steve Harris, James Lomenzo, David Ellefson, Jason Newsted, Robert Trujillo, John Myung, etc in the non-extreme metal field.

Wiggl3s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:08 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
Wiggl3s wrote:
Hammer Smashed Face

The proof I needed for my theory that you started playing bass two weeks ago and think you are superior because you have tuition or whatever.

Thankyou.

P.S: Cannibal Corpse is shit. Webster shows his playing much better in Blotted Science. Even still, he isn't the best in the biz by a long shot.

February. I'm a mechanic. Learn what subjective means.

vashts80 wrote:
Wiggl3s wrote:
Hammer Smashed Face

They have much harder songs on bass than Hammer Smashed Face. Clearly you don't have much of an idea what you're talking about.

Even so, it's extremely difficult to make a case for Webster being the best - simply when you have guys like Patterson, Choy, DiGiorgio, LaPointe, Caspersen, Tiwaz, Norberg, Langlois, Vicotnik, etc etc - just in extreme metal.

Then you have guys like Malone (who, while he did play on "Focus", is a jazz/fusion teacher and bass player), the dude from Intronaut, Steve Harris, James Lomenzo, David Ellefson, Jason Newsted, Robert Trujillo, John Myung, etc in the non-extreme metal field.

What are you talking about man? I said he was the best death metal.. How do you not understand that? The best [skill-wise], IMO (in my opinion) is the asian guy, Masaki.

The greatest bassist who ever lived was Jaco Pastorious.

Don't try to crucify me because you idiots can't read or don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Pretty fucking ridiculous i offer my opinion and you fuckers think its the word of god. Don't get me wrong, i like it, it's just fucking annoying.

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:24 am 

And what part of "Webster has much harder songs than HSF, and there are plenty of guys IN EXTREME METAL who rival him" don't you understand? Clearly Steve DiGiorgio, Erlend Caspersen, Tony Choy, Roger Patterson, Dominic LaPointe, and Eric Langlois don't play death metal.

DiGiorgio in particular is one of my favorite all-time bass players, metal or not. His playing is great, I find his basslines amazing, and his intonation is impeccable. To play some of the things he does, on an unlined fretless bass (a majority of the time) is simply astonishing.

Quote:

Okay, but not one paragraph before you say to "learn what subjective means." Interesting.

And you've been playing since February? There are people on here who have been playing instruments, bass or otherwise, for ten times the amount of time you have. Try thinking before speaking, because you really don't have much of a clue about the subject you're trying to lecture on.

Wiggl3s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:30 am 

vashts80 wrote:
And what part of "Webster has much harder songs than HSF, and there are plenty of guys IN EXTREME METAL who rival him" don't you understand? Clearly Steve DiGiorgio, Erlend Caspersen, Tony Choy, Roger Patterson, Dominic LaPointe, and Eric Langlois don't play death metal.

DiGiorgio in particular is one of my favorite all-time bass players, metal or not. His playing is great, I find his basslines amazing, and his intonation is impeccable. To play some of the things he does, on an unlined fretless bass (a majority of the time) is simply astonishing.

I didn't understand that part where it mattered if he had better songs. Additionally, i'm sure there are players that rival him.
me,wiggl3s wrote:

If you were trying to turn this into an intelligent discussion, then sir, i'm sorry, i misread something somewhere.
Quote:
Quote:

Okay, but not one paragraph before you say to "learn what subjective means." Interesting.

And you've been playing since February? There are people on here who have been playing instruments, bass or otherwise, for ten times the amount of time you have. Try thinking before speaking, because you really don't have much of a clue about the subject you're trying to lecture on.
[/quote]

I didn't know people disputed Jaco...

You know that time played is subjective man, why are you going there?

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:34 am 

Jaco Pastorius WAS great bass player but he's not THE best. He was one of the best just like James Jamerson was. There are still some great bass players around that can easily qualify for being one of the best around like Chuck Rainy, Rocko Prestia, Pino Paladino, Victor Wooten, Leland Sklar and Michael Manring to name just a few.

The main thing, which seems to elude here, is that every style of music has its own array of top players. Since appointing one single player to be the best is at least very subjective and biassed it is better to refrain from making statements like that.

If one were to say that he/she feels that one or the other bass player is the best to his/her liking then there would be no problem for that is a matter of personal taste.

My personal taste states that Jason Ward, Joey Vera, Joe DiBiase and Jerry Abarca are among the best players in Metal, but that's just my taste, although it wouldn't hurt anyone to check them out.

Let's face it: most players that make it into the area of fame can't be that bad. If they were either the band as a whole stinks or someone hasn't been listening closely to what they are doing!

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:05 pm 

Wiggl3s wrote:
vashts80 wrote:

I didn't understand that part where it mattered if he had better songs. Additionally, i'm sure there are players that rival him.
me,wiggl3s wrote:

If you were trying to turn this into an intelligent discussion, then sir, i'm sorry, i misread something somewhere.

simply put then, have you heard any of the guys I've been repeatedly pointing out to you? because if you have, you would probably change your opinion on webster being the "best."

chrissmith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:49 pm 

i don't think there can be a best, especially in a genre as diverse as metal. every bassist has their own strengths. I think everyone is justified to have a favorite, but you shouldn't argue who is better than who.

Wiggl3s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:19 pm 

Rob1 wrote:
Jaco Pastorius WAS great bass player but he's not THE best. He was one of the best just like James Jamerson was. There are still some great bass players around that can easily qualify for being one of the best around like Chuck Rainy, Rocko Prestia, Pino Paladino, Victor Wooten, Leland Sklar and Michael Manring to name just a few.

The main thing, which seems to elude here, is that every style of music has its own array of top players. Since appointing one single player to be the best is at least very subjective and biassed it is better to refrain from making statements like that.

If one were to say that he/she feels that one or the other bass player is the best to his/her liking then there would be no problem for that is a matter of personal taste.

My personal taste states that Jason Ward, Joey Vera, Joe DiBiase and Jerry Abarca are among the best players in Metal, but that's just my taste, although it wouldn't hurt anyone to check them out.

Let's face it: most players that make it into the area of fame can't be that bad. If they were either the band as a whole stinks or someone hasn't been listening closely to what they are doing!

Dude, i'll fight you over Jaco man. :grr: Also, i agree with everything else.

vashts80 wrote:
simply put then, have you heard any of the guys I've been repeatedly pointing out to you? because if you have, you would probably change your opinion on webster being the "best."

Course man. I've heard of a lot of bassists mentioned here. I haven't listened to everything they've put out though. I'll listen to any recommendations.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:39 pm 

Any tips on tapping? I've just started and I'm using an E minor arpeggio. Any excercises I should be using instead?

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:21 pm 

Wiggl3s wrote:

vashts80 wrote:

Course man. I've heard of a lot of bassists mentioned here. I haven't listened to everything they've put out though. I'll listen to any recommendations.

Steve DiGiorgio:

Death - Human
Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Quo Vadis - Defiant Imagination
Scariot - Momentum Shift
Sadus - Illusions
Sadus - Swallowed in Black
Sadus - A Vision of Misery
Autopsy - Severed Survival
Testament - The Gathering
Testament - First Strike Still Deadly

Erlend Caspersen:
Blood Red Throne - entire discography
Incinerate - Anatomize
Emeth - Telesis
The Allseeing I - entire discography
Deeds of Flesh - Of What's To Come

Tony Choy:
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Atheist - Elements
Atheist - Live at Wacken 2006
Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients
Pestilence - Resurrection Macabre
Cynic - 1988 Demo
Cynic - 1989 Demo (Reflections of a Dying World)
Cynic - 1990 Demo
Cynic - 1991 Demo

Roger Patterson:
Atheist - 1988 Demo (Beyond)
Atheist - 1989 Demo
Atheist - Piece of Time

Dominic LaPointe:
Augury - Concealed
Augury - Fragmentary Evidence
Quo Vadis - Defiant Indoctrination: Live in Montreal
Atheretic - entire discography

Eric Langlois:
Cryptopsy - None So Vile-present day

there you go.

chrissmith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:21 pm 

I would actually like to know that myself

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:09 pm 

Anyone here jammed on an Ibanez SR506? Looks like a promising bass guitar.

Eligosianblasphemy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:26 pm 

I have. Get one. They are awesome and I kick myself daily for trading my older Grind in for a newer model Grind instead of an SR506. Pull the trigger. Get it.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:05 pm 

I don't know...you don't seem sure about the SR506..hmm.../end sarcasm.

Yeah, haha. It looks pretty sick. I can't wait to try one out myself. When money allows, I suppose.

reimari666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:35 am 

Awesome!!!
I received a message that my package from Thomann has been sent today!
The package includes a bass amp head (LANEY RB9), new strings and strap locks. Also I bought the Boss HM-2 pedal from eBay which has also been sent from the states. Finally I get proper equipment!

chrissmith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:30 am 

nice...I have to finish saving up for the amp i want.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:20 pm 

chrissmith wrote:
nice...I have to finish saving up for the amp i want.

Which is.....?

chrissmith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:01 pm 

ampeg ba115 because its a good amp for a good price. I don't have a job, so I don't have the kind of income to buy expensive stacks

Eligosianblasphemy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:38 am 

Those are great little amps.

YogSothothe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:56 am 

Anybody have opinions on Warwick's amplifiers? I think I'm looking to buy one soon after I get money, but I don't know a shit about amplifiers. Only had a shitty 60 watt Yamaha that's probably 30 years old...

The amp:
http://www.basscentre.com/user/products ... cclnd4.jpg

Eligosianblasphemy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:09 pm 

Apparently they can make a Warlock sound good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H4mriYIEgM

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:36 pm 

That tone was horrible.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:07 pm 

I liked it.

Gravity5x
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:15 am 

I have been playing bass for 17 years and I have a fernandes gravity5x 5 string bass and a Gibson Les Paul special 4 string bass. Just kinda curious I am pretty fast but I was just wondering if there is anything else I could do to become faster.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:18 pm 

Gravity5x wrote:
I have been playing bass for 17 years and I have a fernandes gravity5x 5 string bass and a Gibson Les Paul special 4 string bass. Just kinda curious I am pretty fast but I was just wondering if there is anything else I could do to become faster.

Just keep practicing for hours each day. Use a metronome so you can speed up each new time you start to play the same line.
Speed is only limited by playing not enough!

mehoff_of_jackness
Nationalist Juggalo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:50 pm 

Also, get a six string. I am much faster on a six than a four.

chrissmith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:10 am 

make sure you try whatever you want to get out first, especially if its really expensive, because you have to make sure it feels and sounds right for you.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 51  Next