Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:03 pm 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
DeathFog wrote:
You cannot pull out fast tremolo with your fingers

Says who? I mean technically it isn't the tremolo/alternate picking technique, but I can keep up with most stuff on fingers.

That post is from 2006 :P He's playing black metal with some pretty fast tremolo stuff;

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:08 am 

...I'm on a streak of retard at the moment it seems, haha. Must have thought I was on the most recent page when aimlessly browsing.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

blood_and_fire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:55 am 

I'm new to bass and don't know a lot about gear and stuff, but I'm in a sludge/doom/black metal band, and was just wondering any tips (gear/tuning wise/settings) for the most crushing dirty bass tone possible.

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:51 pm 

blood_and_fire wrote:
I'm new to bass and don't know a lot about gear and stuff, but I'm in a sludge/doom/black metal band, and was just wondering any tips (gear/tuning wise/settings) for the most crushing dirty bass tone possible.

I've found low mids to be my nemesis in most cases. Nothing makes my speaker clip in a way I hate worse. Get that frequency into submission and you should be able to better hear the crush over the mud. Kill it too much and the tone can lose "balls". If your amp has stock distortion, try using it. Unless it's total shit, blending it with a moderate pedal can help fuzz.

If you're new to playing as well as bass: practice more than you want to/louder is not necessarily better.

Against Such Things
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:13 pm 

I've generally found that fingerstyle, and occasional slapping, get a thicker tone than picks or popping, if you're not already doing that.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:27 am 

Picks get a brighter attack opposed to fingerstyle playing. Thickness of the pick also changes the sound. Using a thin pick (say o.65 mm) gives a brighter sound than when you use a 2 mm pick,

AmonAmath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:01 pm 

blood_and_fire wrote:

Your neck pickup is your friend. Bridge pup has too much treble, so roll that down.

One thing I noticed the bassist in Sleep/Om doing is instead of playing with his thumb anchored on the neck pup, he anchored his thumb on the neck at around the 15th fret. Tried it myself, tone is insanely thick and meaty. If fret slaps are your thing, I've found they suit sludge and stoner doom really well.

Tuning down a step will sound thicker, obviously. Go for thick strings, as low an action as possible without fret buzz or sounding too slack. 5 string one step down would be ideal for what you're playing.

I'd recommend you get a EHX Muff or really any organic sounding fuzz for a nice loose, ballsy, low-end heavy dirt that can handle a low B or A.

15" speakers are your friend. 10 and 12" have a tight, bright sound which is handy but doesn't seem like what you're looking for.

Don't change your strings too often. A bit of finger sweat in them gives them a nice warmth that's missing from new strings.

Chorus pedal thickens up your tone hugely.

There's no real rule with regards to pick vs fingerstyle. Fingerstyle should be better in theory, but with enough low-end you can have the punch of a pick without the trebley harmonics.

Don't cut out mids or trebles completely, EVER. You'll be inaudible in a mix under guitars and cymbals. Try to find a range (preferably bass) and throw that up high, then have mids and lows at either 3 o clock, 12 o clock or 9 o clock, or whatever combination of those. You'll be bottom heavy but still have enough punchy mids to fit yourself into the mix nicely.

That's all I can really think of now.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:52 am 

I usually use a pretty thick pick when I play bass or guitar, typically close to 3.0 mm. I used to use what everyone typically uses and also finger style but that didn't work for me after a while

Against Such Things
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:31 pm 

I have a quick question about tuning up. I have a five string bass with medium gauges strings (DR .045, .065, .085, .105, .125). How safe is it to tune the highest four strings up a step (for Drop B)? Or a half-step from there up to Drop C?

Related, how does truss rod adjustment work? (The actual physical process and how to know when its at the right point)

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:37 am 

Tuning up the highest 4 strings should not be a problem although you might have to adjust you truss rod. Due to mistuning I have played tuned up 5 frets when I just began playing and the only problem I encountered was a breaking G string as the strings got older and didn't have the elasticity they have when they are new.

Truss rod adjustment depends upon the kind of truss rod that is installed in the bass guitar. Single rods are used to straighten the neck from the tension the strings enforce which causes the neck to bend forward a little. Dual truss rods can be used to move the neck both away from the strings as well as towards the neck.
The right point is determined by several factors like string buzz and comfortability.

mike40k
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:48 pm 

Any recommendations for a bass that handles tuning down (Open B) well and in the 400 or so dollar range?

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:30 am 

mike40k wrote:
Any recommendations for a bass that handles tuning down (Open B) well and in the 400 or so dollar range?

Just use a 5 string set and leave out the G string. Every bass can handle that.
Tuning down too far will only cause your strings to become too floppy sounding.

hots_towel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:36 pm 

mike40k wrote:
I did something Like that. my last band played in drop A (absolutely ridiculous by the way. but they were young guys who wanted to be BR00TAL!) so they told me to get .130 size strings. they work fine but if you are playing in another higher tuning with other songs, you may want to head down lo your local pawn shop/ebay and buy some cheap piece of crap that you can have for another tuning

Gus Kiriakis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:15 pm 

I play a 4-string and the tunings of my band are either 1 tone lower, drop C, and drop A. The only thing to do is to get a set for lower tunings (like I did) or get a 5-string set and don't use the G. You'll have to adjust the truss rod action, maybe change your string spacing/height a bit, and after all is done, set your intonation correctly.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:50 pm 

No bass should ever be tuned down to C. That is a crime.
Today is King of Underground's come to earth anniversary, now apologize for your miscreant behaviour!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:17 pm 

Meaning it should be lower?
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:27 am 

OpsiusCato wrote:

Indeed! You should better play a five string with a low B. That way you still have that low C but can even go beyond that!

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:46 pm 

Rob1 wrote:
OpsiusCato wrote:

Indeed! You should better play a five string with a low B. That way you still have that low C but can even go beyond that!

Exactly! You sir, should be commended.
Today is King of Underground's come to earth anniversary, now apologize for your miscreant behaviour!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50