Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Earthad1000
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:31 am
Posts: 18
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:52 am 
 

Just go to Guitar Center or a store like that and bang around on every kit you see. Although those package kits aren't the ebst quality, they're the best to start off with. you can get better cymbals, skins and even drums later. Tama, Pearl, Mapex, DW, Pacific are all good companies. Th wood is important too. I think Maple and Maghoney are the two best? just try them out, get something affordable and durable. I bought a used Mapex kit, used kits are great too, as long as they aren't cracked and the dealer is reputable.

Top
 Profile  
GoreObsessed
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:56 am
Posts: 37
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:43 am 
 

You can't really say that one wood is 'better' than other. It depends what you want from your drums. Mine are birch and I like the sound a lot. Especially playing live.

-H-

Top
 Profile  
Sanity_Obscure
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:05 pm
Posts: 3
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:55 pm 
 

GoreObsessed wrote:
Corscorpii wrote:
Alright, lets see. First off - just because on an album a guy is playing at 240 BPM doesn't mean he is truly amazing, or if a drummer can blast it doesn't mean he's good. A fact (which is always 100% true for every metal drummer in a professional recording studio) is that every drummer uses drum triggers - and basically triggers make every drum hit sound accurate and great. With recording technology today also, some shitty 15 year old punk-ass kid can play a totally piss-poor drum beat but engineers can make the drums sound ridiculously amazing. All in all, don't believe everything you hear to be true.

Though, there are some drummers in the metal spectrum which actually should be given credit - and the one drummer off the top of my head that I'm mainly thinking of is Derek Roddy - whom is amazing. He is the best in the field of blast beats, and he also has a good sense of timing and precision.


I've been wondering what makes this guy so 'amazing'? Surely... He is fast and accurate, but... What's the amazing part?

There's tons of drummers that has much more interesting style and way better technique. Listen to Dave Weckl or even Mike Portnoy. Those guys have actually something to offer.


Derek Roddy is a drummer's drummer. You have to already be good to understand why he is so amazing. To me, he's not the most creative drummer, it really just comes down to his speed.

Lots of bands will play at speeds approaching 250bpm, but listen closely to the kick drums. Many drummers have much faster hands than they do feet. When playing at this tempo, most drummers will blast the 8th notes with their right and left hands (this is really, really fast), but notice they start playing sextuplets with their feet, rather than sixteenths which would match the speed of their hands (or if they're blasting fast triplets they'll slow their feet down to 16ths). Basically their feet are playing 25% slower than their hands. Roddy will often play the "hardcore" way, with his feet matching the speed of his hands. This is why the world's best drummers respect him so much.

Also on the heel up/down topic, I know a very good drummer (ex-The Esoteric) who started heel down and then realized to take his drumming to the next level he needed to relearn with heel up. Check out his myspace page www.myspace.com/arivermitchell and you can see that he can now play ridiculously fast with great endurance.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned Dave Suzuki from Vital Remains. His performance on DeChristianize is just beatiful. I love the way he blasts cause he accents every third or fourth note, which to me sounds different and more musical. His fills are keen too. I think everyone just hates him because he plays guitar almost that well too, with a very clean Yngwie-like style. That guy may be the best musician in metal. :D

Top
 Profile  
Keitel
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:04 am
Posts: 1
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:39 pm 
 

I'm beating batters and cymbals since ten years and last year I've finally found the one and only drumsticks for me. VicFirth-Metal! They are the most stabile ones, I've ever played. They fit for about six months when I use 'em every day. But they're made of wood. A little longer and a little heavier than the other ones. Really powerful, but don't destroy the cymbals. I've damaged not a single cymbal since I use them, really!

Do you know VicFirth-Metal Sticks? What do you think?

Top
 Profile  
TehDarkPredator
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:38 am
Posts: 43
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:43 am 
 

I don't drum, I am interested in bass, however, I am using a drummachine. I can't get it to sound like real drumming. It sounds, bleh, boring. How do I get that groove into my drumming? Or, may I should formulate my question as, how do I create a nice drum pattern? Also some help on at what bmp I should play...


Also, is there a big difference in normal rock drumsounds(normal samples that come with the drummachine), and (extreme) metal drumsounds(samples that I lack)?
_________________
http://tehdarkpredator.deviantart.com
Tscherno_Bill wrote:
Question: What disturbs you the most in our country (multiple answers possible):
1. Racism, about 70%
2. Foreigners, about 65%

Top
 Profile  
GoreObsessed
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:56 am
Posts: 37
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:08 pm 
 

Sanity_Obscure wrote:
GoreObsessed wrote:
Corscorpii wrote:
Alright, lets see. First off - just because on an album a guy is playing at 240 BPM doesn't mean he is truly amazing, or if a drummer can blast it doesn't mean he's good. A fact (which is always 100% true for every metal drummer in a professional recording studio) is that every drummer uses drum triggers - and basically triggers make every drum hit sound accurate and great. With recording technology today also, some shitty 15 year old punk-ass kid can play a totally piss-poor drum beat but engineers can make the drums sound ridiculously amazing. All in all, don't believe everything you hear to be true.

Though, there are some drummers in the metal spectrum which actually should be given credit - and the one drummer off the top of my head that I'm mainly thinking of is Derek Roddy - whom is amazing. He is the best in the field of blast beats, and he also has a good sense of timing and precision.


I've been wondering what makes this guy so 'amazing'? Surely... He is fast and accurate, but... What's the amazing part?

There's tons of drummers that has much more interesting style and way better technique. Listen to Dave Weckl or even Mike Portnoy. Those guys have actually something to offer.


Derek Roddy is a drummer's drummer. You have to already be good to understand why he is so amazing. To me, he's not the most creative drummer, it really just comes down to his speed.

Lots of bands will play at speeds approaching 250bpm, but listen closely to the kick drums. Many drummers have much faster hands than they do feet. When playing at this tempo, most drummers will blast the 8th notes with their right and left hands (this is really, really fast), but notice they start playing sextuplets with their feet, rather than sixteenths which would match the speed of their hands (or if they're blasting fast triplets they'll slow their feet down to 16ths). Basically their feet are playing 25% slower than their hands. Roddy will often play the "hardcore" way, with his feet matching the speed of his hands. This is why the world's best drummers respect him so much.

Also on the heel up/down topic, I know a very good drummer (ex-The Esoteric) who started heel down and then realized to take his drumming to the next level he needed to relearn with heel up. Check out his myspace page www.myspace.com/arivermitchell and you can see that he can now play ridiculously fast with great endurance.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned Dave Suzuki from Vital Remains. His performance on DeChristianize is just beatiful. I love the way he blasts cause he accents every third or fourth note, which to me sounds different and more musical. His fills are keen too. I think everyone just hates him because he plays guitar almost that well too, with a very clean Yngwie-like style. That guy may be the best musician in metal. :D


Sorry, but that still doesn't explain why he is so amazing...

Top
 Profile  
Sanity_Obscure
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:05 pm
Posts: 3
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:34 pm 
 

I explained that he was faster, and that is why people think he's the best.

Ever hear Rich vs. Roach? I think Roach wins hands down. But people still say Rich is the best. Why? Cause he's faster. I'm just making a general observation. I don't think Roddy's necessarily the "best".

Why is Derek Roddy so amazing?
How about "because he practices more than you"?

Top
 Profile  
GoreObsessed
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:56 am
Posts: 37
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:26 am 
 

So what you are saying is that you have nothing new to add =) No fresh point of view, just pure bullshit!

Top
 Profile  
TehDarkPredator
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:38 am
Posts: 43
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:21 am 
 

TehDarkPredator wrote:
I don't drum, I am interested in bass, however, I am using a drummachine. I can't get it to sound like real drumming. It sounds, bleh, boring. How do I get that groove into my drumming? Or, may I should formulate my question as, how do I create a nice drum pattern? Also some help on at what bmp I should play...


Also, is there a big difference in normal rock drumsounds(normal samples that come with the drummachine), and (extreme) metal drumsounds(samples that I lack)?



'Ello?
_________________
http://tehdarkpredator.deviantart.com
Tscherno_Bill wrote:
Question: What disturbs you the most in our country (multiple answers possible):
1. Racism, about 70%
2. Foreigners, about 65%

Top
 Profile  
Russian_BladderStorm
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:59 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:47 pm 
 

TehDarkPredator wrote:
I don't drum, I am interested in bass, however, I am using a drummachine. I can't get it to sound like real drumming. It sounds, bleh, boring. How do I get that groove into my drumming? Or, may I should formulate my question as, how do I create a nice drum pattern? Also some help on at what bmp I should play...


Also, is there a big difference in normal rock drumsounds(normal samples that come with the drummachine), and (extreme) metal drumsounds(samples that I lack)?


Recreating the sound of a real drummer via drummachine is not something I would spend too much time on. The ability to manipulate certain dynamics only goes so far; you'd have to be a musical genius to make it believable.

Humans have groove; machines, not so much. Your best bet is too keep the patterns loose, so you can continue writing, in hopes that you will eventually find a drummer to fill the void and add the extra dimension to your music; or do what I did... take up the damn drums.

Top
 Profile  
MetalMilitiaHR9
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:19 pm
Posts: 3
Location: Croatia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:43 am 
 

I'm interested who uses the single bass pedal instead of double bass pedal. I'm using the single bass pedal through I'm pretty good with the double bass pedal too.

Top
 Profile  
Andyminion
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:18 pm
Posts: 214
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:32 am 
 

ive always used a double pedal for playing metal - if for whatever reason im not playing metal i used to use a single pedal, but to be honest its worth having a double pedal on your kit for any situation - even if just to make complex bass drum patterns easier by spreading them between both feet.

Top
 Profile  
blackapocapye5
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:44 pm
Posts: 1
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:03 pm 
 

In responce to playing with only a single pedal with metal I say more power to you man. I played with a single pedal for about a year before I even got a double bass pedal. You can still do blast beats, and d-beats with a single pedal and it's a lot more impressive looking. Even though I play and two bands a black metal band and a rock 'n' roll cover band. I still drag around the double bass though because you can really make a lot of older songs sound a lot cooler. Anyways dude whatever floats your boat I say.

Top
 Profile  
drumjustinp
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:05 pm
Posts: 21
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:29 am 
 

I think it's important to learn right foot independence using a single pedal first, then move onto a double.
_________________
Audio Engineer/Producer/Consultant

Top
 Profile  
Prominence
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:36 pm
Posts: 368
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:54 pm 
 

I had been drumming for about a year and half before I got my double pedal. The independance and foot work with a single pedal is absolutely necessary before rushing into two pedals.

On a side note, Flo Mounier's instructional DVD is realllly good for techniques and how to build up speed.

Top
 Profile  
slaryn
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:31 am
Posts: 20
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:32 am 
 

Prominence wrote:
I had been drumming for about a year and half before I got my double pedal. The independance and foot work with a single pedal is absolutely necessary before rushing into two pedals.

On a side note, Flo Mounier's instructional DVD is realllly good for techniques and how to build up speed.


Yes, Flo's DVD has some good exercises (even though they're basically common knowledge: play, then play faster).

Top
 Profile  
mr_ingot
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:26 pm
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:38 pm 
 

I have a nice, though not very enduring Yamaha kit (5 piece, Yamaha & Rydeen, apparently), and it's starting to fall apart (plus I hate how the kick drum sounds). It seems like Mapex is starting to allow custom kits, but I've noticed that Tama is really popular, and I can't find a store in my area with Mapex in it. :???:

Also, it seems like the kick drums with the holes in the head give a really good sound. Is it something else, like padding on the inside or something? I'm a fairly new drummer, it's just my kit that's gone wrong. And I probably hit them too hard. Happens when you're playing a song you really like.

As to my idols, I'd have to say (although I don't like the firsts music very much) Buddy Rich and Mike Portnoy. :bow: The arguments on who is truly the best drummer could go on forever, so I would suggest stopping before guns become involved.:oh shit:

They all have a specific area of greatness, so I guess what we really want to say is the best drummer is a combination of them all.
_________________
That's not really fucked up, it's just...fucked down.

"I know who Eddie is, he's a BIG SKELETON motherfucker!!!"
-Drunk guy behind me at Maiden Concert


Last edited by mr_ingot on Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
mr_ingot
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:26 pm
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:39 pm 
 

I'm just learning double bass drum techniques now. My teacher said to play quarters or eighths with the left foot, and different rhythms with the right foot, and vice versa. Is that mentioned in this Flo Mouriner video you speak of? (I've never heard about it, but I should very much like to see it. Any place in particular I can find it?)
_________________
That's not really fucked up, it's just...fucked down.

"I know who Eddie is, he's a BIG SKELETON motherfucker!!!"
-Drunk guy behind me at Maiden Concert


Last edited by mr_ingot on Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Tsipar
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:47 am
Posts: 13
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:13 pm 
 

I bought a drumset from a friend of mine. For $50 I got a floor tom, three rack toms, a bass drum, and a vintage single pedal that has a rubber strap instead of a chain. All heads are present and I even got a broken hihat stand with the hihats. I'm going to steal a snare, some cymbals, and their stands this week. The reason for my post is to inquire the name of some missing pieces from the kit. These pieces connect the rack toms to the bass drum. There are two pieces I'm looking for, one works like a set of nut and bolts and it attaches the tom to another part that goes into a hole atop the bass drum. I've been looking for the name of the screw part all day, and I believe it may be a tension rod, but I'm not for sure. I have no idea as to the name of the other part I'm looking for. I was hoping you seasoned drummers could help me out.
_________________
I'll rape my own ears if I feel like it...

Top
 Profile  
mr_ingot
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:26 pm
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:02 pm 
 

I'm not exactly a seasoned drummer, but I believe tension rods are the things that tune the drums. The screws? You can probably find their names somewhere on guitarcenter.com or some other website of the like (mapexdrums.com, gand music and sound, etc.). Otherwise, I know just about as much as you about the screws and other various things that hold my drum kit together.

Oh, and dude, don't steal. Not a good thing. :|
_________________
That's not really fucked up, it's just...fucked down.

"I know who Eddie is, he's a BIG SKELETON motherfucker!!!"
-Drunk guy behind me at Maiden Concert

Top
 Profile  
Rise
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:26 am
Posts: 12
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:39 am 
 

Tsipar wrote:
I bought a drumset from a friend of mine. For $50 I got a floor tom, three rack toms, a bass drum, and a vintage single pedal that has a rubber strap instead of a chain. All heads are present and I even got a broken hihat stand with the hihats. I'm going to steal a snare, some cymbals, and their stands this week. The reason for my post is to inquire the name of some missing pieces from the kit. These pieces connect the rack toms to the bass drum. There are two pieces I'm looking for, one works like a set of nut and bolts and it attaches the tom to another part that goes into a hole atop the bass drum. I've been looking for the name of the screw part all day, and I believe it may be a tension rod, but I'm not for sure. I have no idea as to the name of the other part I'm looking for. I was hoping you seasoned drummers could help me out.


Well, that'd be the tom arm. if it mounts on the bass drum it's a tom arm just go to a music store and ask for spare tom arms. make sure it will fit though

Top
 Profile  
Saminal
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:26 am
Posts: 11
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:51 am 
 

mr_ingot wrote:
I have a nice, though not very enduring Yamaha kit (5 piece, Yamaha & Rydeen, apparently), and it's starting to fall apart (plus I hate how the kick drum sounds). It seems like Mapex is starting to allow custom kits, but I've noticed that Tama is really popular, and I can't find a store in my area with Mapex in it. :???:

Also, it seems like the kick drums with the holes in the head give a really good sound. Is it something else, like padding on the inside or something? I'm a fairly new drummer, it's just my kit that's gone wrong. And I probably hit them too hard. Happens when you're playing a song you really like.

As to my idols, I'd have to say (although I don't like the firsts music very much) Buddy Rich and Mike Portnoy. :bow: The arguments on who is truly the best drummer could go on forever, so I would suggest stopping before guns become involved.:oh shit:

They all have a specific area of greatness, so I guess what we really want to say is the best drummer is a combination of them all.


Well first of all, the Rydeen kits are Yamaha's entry level series drums. Second, what exactly do you mean by "falling apart?" I've never heard of drums just "falling apart." If you think you're hitting them too hard then you don't need new drums, just get thicker heads.

And if you hate how your kick drum sounds there are more than a few ways to fix that. First make sure it's in tune. Always make sure your drums are in tune. Then try applying different levels of muffling by taping folded paper towels to the batter head, putting a pillow in the drum, removing the front head all together, or any combination of the above.

If you're looking to upgrade from a Rydeen I'd go with a Pearl Export. But really just try to get down to a music store and actually sit down and play some drums if you really think you need new ones. Try out all the sets they have there and pick out the one that you like best. Oh, and then check the price tag to bring you back down to earth. No sense in declaring "I'll take it!" and then later discovering you've picked out a $4000 kit.

Top
 Profile  
Ithaka
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:33 pm
Posts: 7
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:00 pm 
 

Well OptimusPrime there isnt really any one way you should play your drums..play the way you think feels right..i play all different ways but for me when i speed up on the double kicks i like to switch footing to my ankles off the ground but really whatever feels good to you is the way you should drum.

Top
 Profile  
Krig
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:55 am
Posts: 2
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:27 pm 
 

Actully, the way you use your double bass is perfectly normal. In fact, it's very unique when drummers play it that way. I myself, lift my feet like you said, but the way you do it is perfectly fine. You probaly get a fast reaction from the drum, don't you?

Top
 Profile  
mr_ingot
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:26 pm
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:26 pm 
 

Saminal wrote:
Well first of all, the Rydeen kits are Yamaha's entry level series drums. Second, what exactly do you mean by "falling apart?" I've never heard of drums just "falling apart." If you think you're hitting them too hard then you don't need new drums, just get thicker heads.

And if you hate how your kick drum sounds there are more than a few ways to fix that. First make sure it's in tune. Always make sure your drums are in tune. Then try applying different levels of muffling by taping folded paper towels to the batter head, putting a pillow in the drum, removing the front head all together, or any combination of the above.

If you're looking to upgrade from a Rydeen I'd go with a Pearl Export. But really just try to get down to a music store and actually sit down and play some drums if you really think you need new ones. Try out all the sets they have there and pick out the one that you like best. Oh, and then check the price tag to bring you back down to earth. No sense in declaring "I'll take it!" and then later discovering you've picked out a $4000 kit.


What do I mean by 'falling apart'? I mean that the rims of most of my drums are dented, the screw to hold my hi hat in place falls out of where it's supposed to be, the post that connects my hi hat pedal and the cymbal is bent, and things are just not looking good for it in general. Other than that, it's fine! :p

I definitely have my bass drum in tune, so that shouldn't be the problem... the muffling seems to work, though. Thanks for your advice!

Top
 Profile  
latinfiestacarnage
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 8:27 pm
Posts: 492
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:01 am 
 

personally i move my leg up and down because that's how i was taught and i've been playing for around 3 years but do whatever your comfortable with. what i do is more commonly taught though.
double bass kicks ass for all them heavy beats. great double bassist is drummer for SYL, gene hoglan. one of the best fast drummers though is the DragonForce drummer Dave Mackintosh. listen hes amazing when playing fast

Top
 Profile  
latinfiestacarnage
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 8:27 pm
Posts: 492
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:07 am 
 

do you guys prefer 2 different bass drums or a single one with double kick pedal?

Top
 Profile  
Andyminion
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:18 pm
Posts: 214
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:43 pm 
 

2 bass drums definitely - the response is so much better. However it is a pain trying to tune both drums exactly the same and I cant fit two bass drums in my car so I usually end up using one with a double pedal!

Top
 Profile  
Saminal
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:26 am
Posts: 11
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:22 pm 
 

Uh, two drums. Hands down. I wouldn't know, actually, I'm still using a double pedal. But I WANT two kicks.

Double pedal is such a major convenience though, especially nice ones that can be broken down into two singles.

Top
 Profile  
TalonTheater
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:02 pm
Posts: 20
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:53 pm 
 

latinfiestacarnage wrote:
do you guys prefer 2 different bass drums or a single one with double kick pedal?


Double pedal for convenience of course, but two drums for recording quality.

Top
 Profile  
Terminus
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:55 pm
Posts: 332
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:04 am 
 

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to drums...my dad's been playing drums for like 40 years, but I mostly just decided to stick with guitar...every year or so I get the urge to start playing drums, but I always lose motivation because I suck so horribly and never make the slightest amount of progress. I guess I got too used to how quickly I was picking things up on the guitar.
_________________
ABNORMALITY - Contaminating the Hive Mind available NOW through Sevared Records!
Webstore - CDs, shirts available!
Like us on Facebook
Youtube
Myspace

Top
 Profile  
dumbFuck
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:39 am
Posts: 5
Location: Singapore
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:23 am 
 

srie...i m a complete noob when it comes to terms used in drumming i m just a self taught idiot drummer... so ..erm.. what are blast beats >.< srie ..

Top
 Profile  
latinfiestacarnage
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 8:27 pm
Posts: 492
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:47 pm 
 

dumbFuck wrote:
srie...i m a complete noob when it comes to terms used in drumming i m just a self taught idiot drummer... so ..erm.. what are blast beats >.< srie ..


blast beats is a drum beat where you have hit-hat/cymbal and snare playing at the same time or alternating. bass drum is underneath creating a "wall of sound" and blast beats are played quite rapidly

Top
 Profile  
dumbFuck
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:39 am
Posts: 5
Location: Singapore
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:59 am 
 

sounds tough ! definitely something i wan to try !

Top
 Profile  
Saminal
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:26 am
Posts: 11
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:40 pm 
 

Not really, they can be as simple or as complex as you want them to be for the most part. Explaining that requires using musical terms though...or at least I can't think of a way to do it without using them.

Top
 Profile  
latinfiestacarnage
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 8:27 pm
Posts: 492
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:43 pm 
 

ok random drummer survey
which drummers are the best at
1) double bass
2) speed
3) technical stuff and beats
4) solos

feel free to add categories and put them in

Top
 Profile  
dumbFuck
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:39 am
Posts: 5
Location: Singapore
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:37 am 
 

hmm i can do none -.- lol i can only do the brann dailor style of drumming lotsa snares and fills and rolls... i m trying to do some double pedal but I M WEAK =.=

Top
 Profile  
TalonTheater
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:02 pm
Posts: 20
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:08 am 
 

dumbFuck wrote:
sounds tough ! definitely something i wan to try !


If you're a new drummer, definitely don't try blast beats for a few years. You'll just end up fucking up your doublebass playing, and you'll have to relearn it all. I've seen it happen.

Top
 Profile  
Noktorn
Veteran

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 2880
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:25 am 
 

TalonTheater wrote:
dumbFuck wrote:
sounds tough ! definitely something i wan to try !


If you're a new drummer, definitely don't try blast beats for a few years. You'll just end up fucking up your doublebass playing, and you'll have to relearn it all. I've seen it happen.


Raymond Herrera would like a word with you.
_________________
Nokturnal Transmissions Records - www.nokturnaltransmissionsrecords.com
Septic Tomb - www.myspace.com/septictomb
Bonescraper - www.myspace.com/bonescraper666

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

Top
 Profile  
latinfiestacarnage
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 8:27 pm
Posts: 492
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:53 am 
 

favourite drummers for each genre?

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: InThyKingdom and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group