Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:33 pm 

Anyone attend these and play your own songs/other songs that aren't Oasis, Radiohead, Beatles, etc but more in the line of Impaled Northern Moonforest, Xasthur, Shining, etc?
There's the usual gigs in town I sometimes attend (often dragged to) and consistently have people asking me to play some songs, but in all honesty I know very little Indie stuff and what I do know is rubbish. Would you think there's a market for acoustic black metal to be recognised in the form of musicianship that it is, or have the regulars chasing me out the pub with beer mats and bottles smashing behind me.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:29 pm 

You know Impaled Northern Moonforest is a joke band don't you?

And honestly no one wants to hear acoustic black metal. Esp if they don't know that's what you are doing.

Also no... never attend open mic nights, never participate. That's for people who can't actually play or book a show of their own.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:25 pm 

Metallumz wrote:
Would you think there's a market for acoustic black metal to be recognised in the form of musicianship that it is

No way man. I'd say you have equal chances of a Roadhouse styled bar fight as someone approaching you and saying how they appreciated your acoustic black metal. We're not talking a metal-type venue right? I've been to open mic nights but it's always been like this "oh shit it's open mic night, is anywhere else still serving alcohol at this hour?" Most likely scenario is that most people ignore your music while some think "what the hell was that?" and maybe one person heckles you. All depends on what kind of place you would try this in though, artsy coffee shop or a rough pub etc.

How about next time you are pressured to play songs you just play CGFG repeatedly while singing something thinly veiled about sex with one or two rhyming punchlines?

"I like pancakes I stack them up high,
you and me together with some syrup, oh my!
flipping you over in my hot skillet bed
egg and milk batter, that's what she said
pancakes pancakes pancakes"

Also remember that even in metal circles a lot of people hate acoustic black metal.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:31 pm 

Open mic nights won't really get you anywhere with black metal, especially acoustic. You can try it, but I suggest wearing a fencing helmet to prevent beer bottles from hitting your face.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:44 am 

This is probably the best it could go. I doubt you'd find a very big crowd, but if I saw something like that, then I'd sit and listen for like 10 minutes at the most and be mildly amused. You should try it anyway.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:01 am 

If you go for an open mic night event just play regular stuff. I love black metal and I would hate the idea of acoustic black metal. So you see, even in a crowd of metalheads you'd be hard pressed to find an audience.

EDIT: If you want to play acoustic stuff but have problems with shedding some of your hard-earned street-cred kvlt points, play some darker stuff like Danzig or Michael Graves solo material.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:18 am 

I figured as much, maybe just stick to something conservative as Neutral Milk Hotel or (at the extreme listing) one or two few Charles Manson covers. The open mic nights are run by a local musician who I happen to know through work anyway so it certainly wouldn't surprise him to hear me playing something different outside of Indie and Blues, I live in one of those places where everyone tends to know each other although I guess going off the consensus here it'd be a bad idea to do Acoustic Black Metal so i'll just leave it to the bedroom recordings for now.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:51 pm 

Hah, I went to a few open mic nights at a local bar one summer as my friend occasionally played guitar there. One time a local sludge metal band came in and played two acoustic covers of their tracks, each about 8 minutes long and eschewing the screams for a quiet yet raspy singing. Suffice it to say I gathered from the reactions around me that I was the only one there enjoying it.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:32 pm 

Smoking Gnu, that quote in your sig is just awesome.

Reply to topic