Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:46 pm 

For the first three months or so after buying my Scarlett Solo Focusrite everything worked just fine and I recorded three songs. I recorded the songs by putting my mic up against my guitar amp with a cable connecting my mic to my Scarlett Solo. The cable with the mic went into the port with the guitar symbol on my Scarlett Solo. When I tried recording my fourth song recently, my Scarlett Solo didn't pick up any sound through the port with the guitar symbol. I know this for sure because Reaper, the recording program I use, indicated that no sound was being recorded. Usually when sound goes through the guitar port of my Scarlett Solo, there is a halo light around the volume knob that lights up, but this time the light did not come on at all when I played my guitar. When I turn on the Scarlett Solo, the halo light around the volume knob for the guitar port still blinks several times before going dead until I turn the device off and then on again. However, the port on my Scarlett Solo with the microphone symbol by it still works for recording, but the sound I get from using that option is horrible compared to the port with the guitar symbol.

Anyone have any idea what happened? Do I need to buy a new USB interface?

Despite something not working correctly with my Scarlett Solo, would it still be possible to use it to play my guitar amp through my computer and listen to the sounds while wearing headphones? Because I live in a house with several other people and I don't want to disturb people with the sounds from my amp. If it's still possible to get this setup to work despite my Scarlett Solo not working correctly how do I go about setting this up?

Valenten
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:25 pm 

Hi,

Well it might seem obvious but I would suggest you to contact the Focusrite support. From what I saw online they seem to be rather reactive. Maybe not fast but it seems that they care about their users' problems.

Are you sure that the microphone is still working ?

V.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:41 am 

From a troubleshooting standpoint, I'd follow what Valenten is saying and check the mic on another source to make sure it works, then check the cable elsewhere as well. Or try a different mic and cable into your Scarlet. I have a 2i2 I've had for 3 years now and never once had any issues at all. But, I've seen countless cables fail over the last 30 years of jamming and if your mic isn't an SM58 or 57, well, I've seen plenty of mics die too.

Reply to topic