Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:12 am 

Anyone have any experience/advice when it comes to changing tuners? My Ibanez ones are finally starting to crumble after 21 years and the ones on my LTD just suck. I want to get some locking ones, but can't decide between Grovers, Sperzels and Schallers. Is there anything else that's pro quality out there? Any suggestions?

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:55 pm 

I installed Sperzel locking tuners on one of my guitars about 20 years ago and they are still working flawlessly. I've been very satisfied with them and would buy again. They replaced a standard set of Grovers which were breaking down after about 10 years.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:05 pm 

korgull wrote:
I installed Sperzel locking tuners on one of my guitars about 20 years ago and they are still working flawlessly. I've been very satisfied with them and would buy again. They replaced a standard set of Grovers which were breaking down after about 10 years.

Good info. Thx.

Did you have to do any modifications/drilling/etc or did they just bolt right in?

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:29 pm 

I needed to drill a small hole for each tuner's mounting pin.
The tuners just bolt-on, but then there's the mounting pin which needs to go in a hole in the back of the headstock to keep the tuner body from rotating.

Of course, the holes from the old tuners (which used small screws instead of the pins) didn't match up with the location of the pins on the new tuners, so I had to drill the new holes and was left with the row of old/unused holes on the back of the headstock.

Spoiler: show

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:48 pm 

I use Hipshot locking tuners. They are fantastic. Easy to use, and they feel sturdy as hell.

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:59 am 

korgull wrote:
I needed to drill a small hole for each tuner's mounting pin.
The tuners just bolt-on, but then there's the mounting pin which needs to go in a hole in the back of the headstock to keep the tuner body from rotating.

Of course, the holes from the old tuners (which used small screws instead of the pins) didn't match up with the location of the pins on the new tuners, so I had to drill the new holes and was left with the row of old/unused holes on the back of the headstock.

Spoiler: show

Thanks for the info & pic. Read a few reviews online saying the newer Sperzel's suck, though. Like they started making 'em in China or something.

Nordic_Warhammer wrote:
I use Hipshot locking tuners. They are fantastic. Easy to use, and they feel sturdy as hell.

Those look cool. Dig the UMP installation. I might have to go with those. How long have you had yours? Hard to beat Korgull's 20 years and still ticking.

Last edited by Iron1 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:09 pm 

I use Sperzel locking tuners too, though I don't know much about installation since it was stock. They holding tuning extremely fucking well though. I'm not exactly gentle with my strings, especially bending or chugging but they almost never ever go out of tune if ever.

Kaickul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:16 am 

I've only used Sperzel locking tuners and they were great, I would highly recommend. Gotoh and Planet Waves sells locking tuners as well.

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:20 am 

Iron1 wrote:
Nordic_Warhammer wrote:

Those look cool. Dig the UMP installation. I might have to go with those. How long have you had yours? Hard to beat Korgull's 20 years and still ticking.

I have had them on for 5 years or so. I absolutely love them.

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply to topic