Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:11 pm 

Im thinking of starting a youtube - web episodes on how to get up and running doing your own home studio and recording metal at home

not pointed at any specific type of metal more pointed at mid to advanced level techniques and how to get started

something that goes beyond the basics

what all should i cover in this all inclusive guide?

ideas? feedback - i feel confident in 2015 at my home metal making prowess

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:20 am 

Part 1 of "lets make metal"

http://youtu.be/pW852wBt7GI

gathering materials - gathering software getting started

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:08 am 

No comment on the content of the video except that I disagreed with most of it.

Visually the video is bland. Maybe throw in some generic clips of you plugging a guitar in/adjusting dials/etc, to reinforce the words? Right now it seems like more of a podcast than an actual video.

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:05 am 

Thanks for the feedback

I understand the issue with bland visuals
I may fix that still

I wanted to dive in
And get something rolling
I'd like to hear about what other points you disagree with
Again thank for feedback

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:02 am 

Quote:
Again thank for feedback

You're welcome to ignore anything I say of course, since so much of recording is based around personal taste.

-- The video aims to be comprehensive, starting from someone who doesn't even have a guitar. Honestly, if someone's at that stage, I wouldn't recommend that they try to make music at all. They should get an instrument, practice for 6-12 months, build up a skill, and then start doing all the other stuff.

-- Instead of "buy $200 guitar + practice for 6 months + record" it should be "buy $200 guitar + practice for 6 months + upgrade to $600-700 guitar + record". A cheap instrument is fine for practicing but for serious recording I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy. It will have shitty underpowered pickups, cheap hardware, will go out of tune/intonation quickly, etc. It's important that you track with a good instrument. Lots of problems can be fixed on a computer. Tracks recorded on a shitty-sounding guitar aren't one of them.

-- Recommending they buy pedals. Pedals have their place (mostly live), but in a computer-based studio it seems more desirable to use software effects.

etc

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:11 am 

MawBTS wrote:
Quote:
Again thank for feedback

You're welcome to ignore anything I say of course, since so much of recording is based around personal taste.

-- The video aims to be comprehensive, starting from someone who doesn't even have a guitar. Honestly, if someone's at that stage, I wouldn't recommend that they try to make music at all. They should get an instrument, practice for 6-12 months, build up a skill, and then start doing all the other stuff.

-- Instead of "buy $200 guitar + practice for 6 months + record" it should be "buy $200 guitar + practice for 6 months + upgrade to $600-700 guitar + record". A cheap instrument is fine for practicing but for serious recording I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy. It will have shitty underpowered pickups, cheap hardware, will go out of tune/intonation quickly, etc. It's important that you track with a good instrument. Lots of problems can be fixed on a computer. Tracks recorded on a shitty-sounding guitar aren't one of them.

-- Recommending they buy pedals. Pedals have their place (mostly live), but in a computer-based studio it seems more desirable to use software effects.

etc

Yes. Super high end gear isn't necessary to record music with but your MINIMUM should be a solid guitar. You can use free software and shit but the last thing to cheap out on is an instrument.

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:58 pm 

New Vid

focusing on getting going with Riff's and riff writing methods

http://youtu.be/etbLR8Dw1h4

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:12 pm 

any feedback is welcome - positive or negative :)

Reply to topic