Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetalAddict9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:29 pm 

I have only 14 months experience playing electric guitar but I'm already starting to get restless and wanting to start a band. But I'm looking to do black metal. Where do I begin? How can I find other people who are into the same kind of music as I am and also play instruments. Remember, I'm talking black metal here, not hard rock. I don't know where to even begin.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:54 pm 

You can try this sub-forum and post something there saying where you are from, what you are looking to do etc. and what the guidelines there suggest: http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewforum.php?f=20

There are also websites like craigslist, where from my experience you end up with a lot of flakes. I think the best way to get a band together is to draw on the people that you know personally. Go to black metal shows, meet people there, those people will know people, etc.

Another method is putting up fliers around where you live. A more strategic version of this is to put them in places that metal musicians are more likely to visit like music stores/cd shops.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:40 am 

Buy a drum machine. Duh.

For real though, do what Apteronotus said. Put yourself out there enough and someone will find you.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:42 am 

Most people on craigslist are either brilliant or morons. Unfortunately you will have to deal with a few morons until you find anyone worth their salt as a musician/person.

I put up fliers once, and didn't get any messages for three months until one dude said he was interested. He was pretty bad though. I agree that getting into your scene and getting people at shows is your best bet as far as quality goes, but using the internet will probably earn you more results. Depends on how seriously you want to take this.

MetalAddict9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:11 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
Most people on craigslist are either brilliant or morons. Unfortunately you will have to deal with a few morons until you find anyone worth their salt as a musician/person.

I put up fliers once, and didn't get any messages for three months until one dude said he was interested. He was pretty bad though. I agree that getting into your scene and getting people at shows is your best bet as far as quality goes, but using the internet will probably earn you more results. Depends on how seriously you want to take this.

What about Facebook or Twitter?

chonetesumadremecagoendios
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:43 am 

dude black metal supposed to be underground, learn you own stuff create your own thing, with time, the proper persons will come to you. Try to make music for your ears, music that pleases you, not music to show the people that you are "satanic" or "musician"

if you want dat go for thrash metal so you can be like slayer or metallica or kreator or any of those shitty bands that claim to be underground adn end up going to the gramys in a tuxedo, and filming a movie to make money :)

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:01 pm 

chonetesumadremecagoendios wrote:
dude black metal supposed to be underground, learn you own stuff create your own thing, with time, the proper persons will come to you. Try to make music for your ears, music that pleases you, not music to show the people that you are "satanic" or "musician"

if you want dat go for thrash metal so you can be like slayer or metallica or kreator or any of those shitty bands that claim to be underground adn end up going to the gramys in a tuxedo, and filming a movie to make money :)

Oh shut up.

MetalAddict9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:11 pm 

chonetesumadremecagoendios wrote:

Dude you sound kvlt as fuck! But I like Slayer, Metallica, and Kreator. :(

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:42 am 

Dude listen to Kreator's early work, you can't judge them like that, even Slayer and Metallica couldn't be judged like that.

Funeral Frog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:17 pm 

chonetesumadremecagoendios (roughly) wrote:
Try to not make music to show the people that you are "musician"

... hahaha

Anyways, try to go to whatever shows you can and meet people. Never know who's been itching to play either. Sometimes people are willing to bend for you (i.e. a rock drummer might be convinced to play black metal) but there's a good chance that it will cause problems down the line and just generally bad music. The poster idea is a good one, too.

Wintermute (black metal, death metal, dark ambient)
https://wintermuteband.bandcamp.com/album/wolven

Reply to topic