Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:27 pm 

Hey again all.

Taking a break from my folk project, I started on an atmospheric / post-black metal song a few weeks back - this'll be the first of two songs on the demo.
I actually wrote a depressive / atmospheric black metal demo this time last year under the Writhe name but it felt awkward and contrived so I thought I'd start on a blank sheet. But I digress.
In terms of influences, I honestly don't know where to start. Mostly neoclassical music and whatever naturally arose in the creative process.
Equipment includes an Ibanez RG7321 guitar, Ibanez GSR205 bass, a £5 Sandberg Headset One 125-26 (to record all the drums and vocals), all recorded via direct input on MAGIX Music Maker 16.

https://writheuk.bandcamp.com/album/the-shrouded-grove
https://writheuk.bandcamp.com/track/the ... ng-council *new track*

Some in-depth riff-by-riff criticism would be much appreciated so I know what to fine-tune before the physical release.
Thanks all!

To improve:

* Slight snare volume increase in riffs B(i) + B(ii) + G
* Variety + dynamics in drums (patterns / timbres / fills)
* Reduce high EQ in classical guitar during interlude

Last edited by Syntek on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Goran
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:47 pm 

The mix is certainly fitting for creating atmosphere.
The blastbeats around 1:15 are nondescript, otherwise I dig this.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:15 am 

Goran wrote:
The blastbeats around 1:15 are nondescript.

I guess I kinda get what you mean here but could you elaborate on this?
I'm glad you dig regardless, though. Thanks, man.

Funeral Frog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:52 am 

Spec-tacular.

Wintermute (black metal, death metal, dark ambient)
https://wintermuteband.bandcamp.com/album/wolven

Goran
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:05 am 

Syntek wrote:
Goran wrote:
The blastbeats around 1:15 are nondescript.

I guess I kinda get what you mean here but could you elaborate on this?
I'm glad you dig regardless, though. Thanks, man.

Your drums are already fairly low in the mix, but on the blastbeats I'm missing snare volume. It's like I'm not hearing it for whatever reason.
I understand that you might keep the snare on blastbeats more subdued than on slower beats, but this mix can't afford even quieter drums (snare).

Also - and that's just my preference - I'd like to hear more subtleties in the drumming.
It's too straightforward, especially noticeable during the blasts.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:40 am 

I agree with the above. Because of that, some of the blasting lacks intensity/character. Otherwise, this is not my cup of tea genre-wise but I'll say it's pretty good overall.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:17 am 

Goran wrote:
Also - and that's just my preference - I'd like to hear more subtleties in the drumming.
It's too straightforward, especially noticeable during the blasts.

I understand the concept, but could you give examples of this? Do you mean more toms/fills? Or just a variety of drum patterns within a same riff?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:00 am 

I'm pretty sure he just means dynamics. Sometimes when blasting for four bars, you might use the crash/hihat for two bars and the ride for the other two. And many other little things like that.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:40 pm 

somefella wrote:
I'm pretty sure he just means dynamics. Sometimes when blasting for four bars, you might use the crash/hihat for two bars and the ride for the other two. And many other little things like that.

Haha, sorry if I seem a bit aloof. :P Just making sure it's as clear as possible so I know exactly what to improve upon.
Still, this is all very useful to me as it's often difficult to have a balanced perspective on your own work. Thanks for your time, guys.

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:48 pm 

Love the music and the atmosphere. Just as I said like year ago - u really need better production. Everything else is perfect!
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:10 am 

InThyKingdom wrote:
Love the music and the atmosphere. Just as I said like year ago - u really need better production. Everything else is perfect!

I disagree completely. Are you kidding? Do you want another brick walled piece of "black metal" garbage?

This sounds perfect to me. Please leave this untouched! The drum tone is great, the guitars are all mixed well, the swelling multitude of vocal approaches is very eerie. The artwork and atmosphere are unlike anything else. Please let me know when the final product is finished!

Only thing I don't like is the clicking rhythm between the two tracks. It sounds like that noise when a CD isn't read correctly or skips. I think the chords alone would be a good enough introduction. The click is a try-hard attempt at trying to add complexity which really doesn't need to be added. maybe take out the first 90% of this, and then fade in some toms or sticks doing the same rhythm right into the big chord.

Other than that, fantastic. Seriously. Reminds me a LOT of Klabautamann's recent albums (because of that quite snare. Good choice.), the first Altar of Plagues record, and an epic film score. Which is a good thing.

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:46 am 

CF_Mono wrote:
I disagree completely. Are you kidding? Do you want another brick walled piece of "black metal" garbage?

Well I do not want brick walled piece, but i would prefer production Alcest/Forest of Stars oriented. If you call that "brick walled" ok :)

CF_Mono wrote:
Other than that, fantastic. Seriously. Reminds me a LOT of Klabautamann's recent albums (because of that quite snare. Good choice.), the first Altar of Plagues record, and an epic film score. Which is a good thing.

Mentioning Klabautamann - their albums are more Enslaved's progressive type of metal than this track. And do you think their production (Klabautamann) is "brick walled" as well?

Still it is just my opinion. Pretty much this track (if the rest of the album is that good as ideas) can open for Syntec many doors to really classy record companies, but the sound will stop most of 'em to sign it.
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:46 am 

CF_Mono wrote:
Only thing I don't like is the clicking rhythm between the two tracks. It sounds like that noise when a CD isn't read correctly or skips. I think the chords alone would be a good enough introduction. The click is a try-hard attempt at trying to add complexity which really doesn't need to be added. maybe take out the first 90% of this, and then fade in some toms or sticks doing the same rhythm right into the big chord.

I actually spent a minute or two baffled by what you meant by this but then when listening to it, it made sense.
I used a fairly cheap classical guitar for that one melodic line and the *clicking* noise is actually the sound of the pick hitting the string!
All I'd need to do would be reduce the high EQs on it a little. This one completely flew over my head so thanks for this.

I'm really glad you dig, though, man. When I have physical copies available I can drop by with a PM (it'll also be available for free download).

InThyKingdom wrote:
Pretty much this track (if the rest of the album is that good as ideas) can open for Syntec many doors to really classy record companies, but the sound will stop most of 'em to sign it.

Well. That certainly wouldn't be very kvlt of me. :P
Jokes aside, I think my objective here is to receive a general and broad appreciation of my work rather than get signed to a massive label (this said, the idea of being on Northern Silence doesn't sound too shabby, though).
Cheers for the feedback regardless!

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:48 pm 

I like the way it sounds. Not conventional, but very effective. You know about the snare I guess.

The symphonic elements sound a bit overpowering in places, but maybe that was the effect you were going for.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:53 am 

MawBTS wrote:
I like the way it sounds. Not conventional, but very effective. You know about the snare I guess.

The symphonic elements sound a bit overpowering in places, but maybe that was the effect you were going for.

Actually there are no symphonic elements. What you hear is 100% guitar and reverb (well, aside the clean vocals).

I'm glad you like it, however!

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:09 pm 

This sounds fucking great! From a listener perspective and a constructive criticism perspective I wouldn't change a thing!

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:16 pm 

Alright guys, an update.

The new song is released (see: top of page) and it'd be highly useful to get some feedback before the physical release. If any of you are interested in a copy, give me a shout and we can continue via PM/email/etc.

Reply to topic