Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ironman1024k
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:30 am 

Hi,

I want some feedback on my song/tab. It would be nice with some constructive criticism.

Links:

GP 6:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dv9ty ... etal_1.gpx

GP 5: (I just exported the tab, I don't know how it sounds in GP 5 :( )
http://www.mediafire.com/download/sx0mg ... etal_1.gp5

Looking forward to read your posts.

ironman1024k
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:35 pm 

MP3:
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/q1m2dae ... etal_1.mp3

Ni Oxx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:44 pm 

I listened to the mp3 version. Wow, it was actually pretty good. I'd love to hear it recorded for real.

AYearInExile
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:38 pm 

I work with GP5 myself so I listened to that. I always thought that black metal sounds absolutely horrible in that .mid format but I was wrong this time. It is repetitive but it fits partially since the constitutive parts are good and partially because it's black metal after all. I'm impressed by the fact that in a genre that is so full of shit to me something as pleasant and "catchy" (in a good way) can still be made. The single string tremolo picking is awesome and power-chord spamming fits well. The start-and-stop mechanic (reinforced by the rhythm guitar, bass and drums) also works. Everything works.

One suggestion I will make: the last riff which is very good and sums up the score nicely. Add a higher third harmony to the single picking tremolo guitar and instead of making it end with a powerchord (the last bar), make it repeat again the same amount (8bars in total) while adding a fade-out effect. It is a good riff and it can carry it. Especially if you have some haunting lyrics or ambient effects to accompany it or whatever.

Also you could be more adventurous with the bass when it has room to be heard. For example when the guitars stay on a long powerchord for a while, bass doesn't have to simply play the root note of the chord and sustain it identically to the guitars. That note won't be heard anyway. The bass could play some sort of a fill with smaller notes.

BlackFlags
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:59 am 

Very cool stuff. Reminds me of Mayhem. Got a recording we can hear?

ironman1024k
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:36 pm 

Thank you so much for the feedback guys! I really appreciate it :)

AYearInExile: I have thought about adding a guitar solo instead (a melodic one) and let it end in harmony with the power chord of the last bar, as you suggested. The last riff will last 16 bars in total, first 8 without the solo and then 8 with the solo. (I tried with the fade out effect, it didn't sound too good, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.)

I will put up a recording as soon as possible. It will be posted in the "Critical feedback thread".

I have two more songs, which I will not tab but record directly.

I play in two other bands, a death metal band and a melodic black metal band. I will ask the guys in the melodic black metal band if I can post our work here. I will post the death metal songs in the "Critical feedback thread", so check it out. I hope you like it!

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:10 pm 

Interesting, although I hate listening to midi-files! I want to hear this with real instruments recorded.

ironman1024k
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:23 pm 

Thanks, I will post the recording this weekend if possible.

I also hate listening to midi recordings, but that was the only thing that was available at the moment I was composing the song.

Reply to topic