cetacean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:22 pm 

nex666 wrote:
Just been working on folk/medieval songs:

This one is called The Ancient Wisps:

http://soundcloud.com/n-x/the-ancient-wisps

Would be good to hear what people think

Musically it was very enjoyable - highly stereotypical for the style but I didn't mind much, same with the fake-sounding instruments. Production-wise, however, some of your instruments desperately need highpass filters. There seems to be a whole lot more low-end than necessary on instruments that don't really need it, especially some of the plucked sounds.
Why do you have come here. I didn't know where go, I was cold, You have heated me, I was hungry, you have eated me, I was afraid, now i doesn't have some. This is my kingdom, now it is also your. I am your debtor, ask that than you want. “I wan't your life, I desire your soul”.

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:43 pm 

cetacean wrote:
nex666 wrote:

Musically it was very enjoyable - highly stereotypical for the style but I didn't mind much, same with the fake-sounding instruments. Production-wise, however, some of your instruments desperately need highpass filters. There seems to be a whole lot more low-end than necessary on instruments that don't really need it, especially some of the plucked sounds.

Thanks man I see what you mean about the high pass, to be honest I didn't do much in the way of mixing but it does need it, cheers for the feedback

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:10 am 

cetacean wrote:
IntoNevermore wrote:
Hi guys, it has been a while since I shared anything with you haha. This is a cover I recorded with my best buddy some months ago, everything was made with a MIDI file exported from guitar pro (drums, bass and strings) Guitars and vocals were recorded. Hope it isn't too bad haha.

Cheers :)

https://soundcloud.com/lrhtmetalhead/re ... test-cover

Hate to say this but I didn't enjoy it very much. The first part was annoying as hell with the rhythm section playing that one-note riff and the center-panned solo guitar playing the same damn lick over and over again in two different octaves (and then it repeats toward the end... despite the fact that it wasn't really worth repeating). The rest of the song wasn't nearly as bad - actually I'm a sucker for dual leads and I liked the dual lead section especially. But as a whole it sounded pretty incoherent, especially with the vocals mixed really high and standing out from the song while at the same time sticking to that core-shouting style that appears not to take any notice of the notes or rhythms happening at the same time.

I know lots of people like music like this but I'm apparently not one of them, sorry.

Don't hate to say anything man haha. Feel free to express your opinion, that's why I share things here, so anyone can give me the feedback they want. Also, I'm hardly getting mad haha.

The song isn't mine, so I can't be blamed if you don't like some riffs or the songwriting. I had some troubles because my laptop freezes pretty often, and many values of the mix got all fucked up haha. Also, I'm still a noob at this, so I still have a long way ahead. I liked the way drums sounded compared to other of my recordings though.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:50 pm 

https://soundcloud.com/coloroutofspace/new-song5

I like the way the guitar sounds so I'm not concerned with it being muddy or the fact that there is only one guitar track. I also know already that the song is pretty sloppy as well.

I am mainly interested whether you guys think the song itself musically speaking, in terms of the riffs and the structure of the song, is either horrible, mediocre or good.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:56 pm 

Commisaur wrote:
https://soundcloud.com/coloroutofspace/new-song5

I like the way the guitar sounds so I'm not concerned with it being muddy or the fact that there is only one guitar track. I also know already that the song is pretty sloppy as well.

I am mainly interested whether you guys think the song itself musically speaking, in terms of the riffs and the structure of the song, is either horrible, mediocre or good.

overall not a bad thrash song you already know it's sloppy and all so I figure it's a demo. it seems to be very long in the tooth, like stuff could be shortened but maybe if you are planning on adding counter guitar parts/riffs, vocals, some leads then it'd be dynamic enough to keep people's interest all the way through

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:14 pm 

nex666 wrote:

I think it's fantastic. No complaints about the composition. I actually like the low resonant sounds. The only instrument that bothered me with their tone were the strings. I would definitely listen to an album worth of this style.

This is the latest thing I've cobbled together. It really falls apart toward the end...

https://soundcloud.com/alasunder/leanan

I think most of the issues people have noted in previous criticism persist and will continue to until I manage to get some new equipment. Still I am appreciative of anyone who listens.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:04 am 

I enjoy it, same problems persist with the sound. i don't mind the far away sound of it, but it's just a few degrees too far.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:32 pm 

Finished a new song with the band. Feedback? Recorded with a Zoom H2N handheld recorder.

https://soundcloud.com/deadspeaknl/dead ... sal-14-dec

I know I need to work on those ''Cannibal Corpse'' trillers. Not too happy with them. Maybe some pinky exercises.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:56 pm 

No real complaints on yours, Jasper, except quit cupping the mic. It just doesn't sound good to me, and more than likely the majority of other listeners.

Edit: Ahh dammit! I missed what you said about using a handheld.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:38 pm 

Psychological Regurgitation just released "Rot" Featuring drunk kids in the forest and clips from the movie that inspired the song.

It's not quite Immortal tier but it's noticeably amateur. Say what you want about the song or video. Thanks!

Jasper92 wrote:
Finished a new song with the band. Feedback? Recorded with a Zoom H2N handheld recorder.

https://soundcloud.com/deadspeaknl/dead ... sal-14-dec

I know I need to work on those ''Cannibal Corpse'' trillers. Not too happy with them. Maybe some pinky exercises.

I agree, work on those pull-offs. Song wasn't bad, but dude "Evil Dead" is a hell of a fucking thrasher! I'd love to hear more stuff like that. Plus the leads were nuts!

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:09 am 

Thanks guys! Haha too bad Evil Dead is a cover song.
Some more songs coming soon. The last two were short headbangers. I think I'm going to change a few little things in the riff with the pull offs in Clipped. A few variations to make it a bit more interesting so I don't play 8 times exactly the same riff.
Also a more 'epic' and longer song in the making. And something with a bit more melody in it and D beats (and blasts if our drummer practices some more).

Love the song you posted CF_Mono. Also a great but weird and twisted video haha.

Edit: I think the 'cupping sound' is because of the handheld recorder. And now I listen closely I think we need to change our singers last name in Barnes.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:26 pm 

Yea, somehow I had missed that part of your post, so go ahead and disregard the cupping part.

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:41 am 

https://deathlord.bandcamp.com/album/thronelord

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:52 pm 

Great stuff doktorsatan! Although I would prefer a little less of the 'scream' voice. It could have more impact and have a nicer 'effect' when it was used a bit more sporadically.

suprema_occultus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:39 am 

Well... I just released my first album under my new project Batsheva yesterday, all recorded, mixed, and mastered right in my living room on my lonesome, and with an acoustic guitar and borrowed bass at that. As I want to pound the pavement and start working on new stuff already (maybe after some attempts at promotion), I'd really like some feedback on the release.

http://batsheva.bandcamp.com

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:00 pm 

Jasper92 wrote:
Great stuff doktorsatan! Although I would prefer a little less of the 'scream' voice. It could have more impact and have a nicer 'effect' when it was used a bit more sporadically.

Thank you very much! Yeah we get a lot of mixed reactions about our scream vocals, but I guess that is also the appeal to some. He also isn't really a singer or musician or anything. Just a mentalpatient that screams.

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:07 pm 

suprema_occultus wrote:
Well... I just released my first album under my new project Batsheva yesterday, all recorded, mixed, and mastered right in my living room on my lonesome, and with an acoustic guitar and borrowed bass at that. As I want to pound the pavement and start working on new stuff already (maybe after some attempts at promotion), I'd really like some feedback on the release.

http://batsheva.bandcamp.com

I was a bit apprehensive because of the doom label on bandcamp... getting a bit sick of that personally. But I was pleasantly suprised! Listening to it now. Nice production! I´m still not a fan of these kind of drums but it sounds nice and thick! Some parts remind me a bit of Ragnarok, or something. Digging the guitarharmonies and haunting riffs! =D

suprema_occultus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:20 pm 

doktersatan wrote:
I was a bit apprehensive because of the doom label on bandcamp... getting a bit sick of that personally. But I was pleasantly suprised! Listening to it now. Nice production! I´m still not a fan of these kind of drums but it sounds nice and thick! Some parts remind me a bit of Ragnarok, or something. Digging the guitarharmonies and haunting riffs! =D

Thanks for listening and the kind words! This is my first real metal production, and I'm also not the most technical guitarist out there, so I'm glad it all came out alright. :) Is there anything about the drums in particular you don't like? Or is it just a style that you aren't really into?

Also, I'm actually not familiar with Ragnarok, so I will go and familiarize myself now...

Speaking of "doom"... is the "doom" tag a bit oversaturated on Bandcamp? I don't even know if it's a good way to describe my own music; I just went into it writing some riffs that seemed a bit doom-y, and black-doom seemed to best fit.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:58 pm 

suprema_occultus really great shit, I do have to say the same it would be much nicer with a real drummer. There's just a nice feel to a warmer tone to the drums played by a human that really cements this even more so. Yea didn't get doom from it either. but everything else was very good. just rigid mechanical drums.

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:25 pm 

its very nice to agree with you for once SLK :P

@s occultus
The guitars are by and far the best part of your songs, very good! Very good songwriting, I like how everything flows organically.
but yeah the drums... maybe you can look for someone to record the drumparts for you? could be a very good album with real drums!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:27 pm 

I thought we have before in the past but I really don't recall much unless it's some direct long lasting bullshitting thing. So I honestly have no idea when we have disagreed.

And yea the songwriting and guitars sound stellar. the vocals sound good, I would have them down like a cunthair, but that's my preference. I would buy a cd of this.

suprema_occultus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:00 pm 

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!

I actually thought the vocals were maybe a touch too loud too, so that's something I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for on future releases. Also, I tried my best to make the drums sound natural, but you two are right -- at a point, there's only so much you can do with a drum machine, and, at the end of the day, it will most likely sound like a drum machine. So, ideally, in the future, I'll just try and look for someone to actually record them. Maybe I'll hit up the "Musicians Seeking Musicians" forum.

And I really appreciate the compliments on the songwriting and the guitars. As this is my first solid attempt at metal and I've been kind of nervous about it, that means a lot. I will definitely keep all of this in mind in the future, and will hopefully get my hands on a real drummer by the next time I record for a bigger release.

(And I will probably stop calling the music "black-doom," as it seems that's an incorrect way to label it.)

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:25 pm 

labeling your own music is always hard in my experience, 'cause you hear all of your own influences and ideas so clearly.

@Jasper
The main riff together with the slow drums didn't really do it for me.. Ofcourse this all boils down to opinion and taste, but I would stick with the more forwards agressive sounding songs than the slow plodding ones. stick some thrashbeats in there! Would love to hear some proper recordings of you guys! (even though that zoom thing actually has a pretty good sound I have to say)

Anomic Humanoid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:34 am 

Hey dudes haven't been on the forums much, just been writing and recording. I just finished a song for something i'm making, i need some HONEST advice please! While recording i liked it, then when i finished it i was like what the fuk did i just record O.o I tried to copy Dissection/Dawn as close as i could lol. Can you guys tell me straight up what is wrong with it? structure, playing (im not a good guitarrist), songwriting, everything! please fire away don't hold back! really appreciate it!

edit: forgot link.. https://soundcloud.com/anomic-humanoid/ ... -terminado

Last edited by Anomic Humanoid on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:40 am 

You should probably link it or something, eh?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:05 pm 

I really don't see what you are having an issue with. The songwriting and playing is quite well. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the drum programming cause I like hearing a real drummer, it's sorta rigid where some of the parts are flowing and a nice more organic drum pattern would be more suitable. Outside of that sounds good. just needs some vocals.

also don't like how it just sort of ended, seems like there should have been another 2 minutes at least of material to actually finish out the song. it just sorta just stopped like you got bored midway through.

Anomic Humanoid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:30 pm 

Thanks for listening Shaolin. My main problem with it is the structure tbh, it needs to flow better, and might be too repetitive. The drums also aren't good, migt need to play around wtih them to make them sound better (the cymbals don't work for some reason lol, used addictive drums). And yea, you are right, i did get bored and just wanted to finish it cause i lost motivation to properly finish it near the end :P . Thanks for the feedback man!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:15 pm 

I think it flows fine, might be repetitive as it is, but if you have some vocals and perhaps some leads that would fill it out nicely

and you are welcome.

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:26 pm 

Anomic Humanoid wrote:
i did get bored and just wanted to finish it cause i lost motivation to properly finish it near the end :P

When I'm in this situation I usually start to go back and listen to what exactly are the best parts in the song, and then just try to focus on that, cut away the filler. End the song. short fast and loud!

I started with metalbands and stuff but did a few years in a hardcore punkband, and if there's one thing I took away from that it's that you should just play to your strengths, don't try to embellish your songs too much, don't go for overlong in- and outro's. Get to the point of your song, make the statement, get out of there. Listener (and musician!!) fatigue in the middle of a song is something you want to avoid.

I agree with SLK about vocals too. this pretty much needs that. Maybe they will lift the song to whole new levels!

Keep up the good work :)

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:43 pm 

Hey guys, a new song that I've made, I'd like some feedback, it's the type of music you might not like :D but negative feedback is more than welcome
https://soundcloud.com/samir-yanni/2014 ... ulbrandsen

suprema_occultus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:52 pm 

Anomic Humanoid wrote:

Agree with the others about the drums -- they sound a bit lifeless & awkward in places. I think they could use some better mixing.. Speaking of, the guitar could probably be just a tinge lower in the mix, as they drown everything out.

I think some of the transitions are a little awkward too. And it definitely needs a better ending.

All that being said, I think for the most part the songwriting and guitar are really good. I'd love to hear it with vocals.

Anomic Humanoid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:34 am 

Thanks dokter and suprema for listening! Yeah some parts just dont fit in at all, this is why i got bored of it at the end. In my opinion the break needs a much better transition, it comes out of nowhere lol. I'm gonna work on it today see what i can do and hopefully piece everything together properly. Going to take Dr's advice and try make it shorter and delete all the long bullshit! thanks boys!

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:37 pm 

Listened to the song Anomic. Has some really good ideas, but it really needs better mix. I'm pretty much agreed with suprema's opinion. If you are interested I can give a try to do a different mix for u, even it is not the entire song. I'm curious if I can give it a bit better sound quality. If you are interested PM me :)
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:24 pm 

Well, the whole shabang is out now.

https://psychologicalregurgitation.bandcamp.com/

Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Hey guys, a new song that I've made, I'd like some feedback, it's the type of music you might not like :D but negative feedback is more than welcome
https://soundcloud.com/samir-yanni/2014 ... ulbrandsen

Dude, I loved that! The riffing in combination with the synth reminds me of early Candlemass. You should join a real band and do this stuff live, it would be loads of fun to go see.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:30 pm 

I dig it, I'll have to pick this up.

Ython
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:01 pm 

My band, Ython, just released the first track of our demo, Mushroom. While it is not something that represents our general style, we feel like it is a fun song. It plays around with some black metalish guitar in 3/4, and deals with the joys and dangers of Nature. What do you think: what is good, what could be better?

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:21 pm 

The songwriting is good. Like most people, you just need proper mastering and mixing. The vocals are great. They are a little derivative of Hetfiled, but the articulation is great. Everything is very clear and you've got great pitch.

Ython
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:39 am 

Thanks, that's nice to hear!

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:03 am 

I thought he sounded more like the singer from Disturbed, if he stopped trying to sing through his nose.

Ython, you have a really nice gruff sound to your voice. I wasn't a big fan of it, but songwriting is solid. I'd go ahead and start with CF's advice and start mixing and EQ'ing it.

Ilenker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:52 am 

https://soundcloud.com/herr-hann/mysuikertwee

I'd like some criticism on my mixing abilities (not song writing necessarily, example given is a short clip for practise) as I feel I haven't been improving lately and can use some outside perspective.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 31  Next