Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:29 pm 

Okay, let's get this started. So the thrash challenge technically started on like January 1st, but that's fine. It'll go through Feb 14th. So write away! Guidelines/rules:

write any style of thrash. Thrash with clean vocals, death/thrash, power metally thrash, 80s thrash, modern thrash, anything as long as it's thrash. If anyone wants to do the randomly assigned lyrical topics I could do that, I guess.

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!

EDIT: The deadline will have to be extended a few days, because my brother is getting married on the 14th and I'll be away. Also extending it a bit will give us all one more weekend. So the new deadline is going to be Feb 17th.

current participants:
infinitenexus
cloggedurethra
theoldskull
shaolinlambkiller
arkhane
inthykingdom
KFD
Nightwisher1990

Last edited by infinitenexus on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 7 times in total.
CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:28 pm 

Sign me up for some death/thrash!

TheOldSkull
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:36 pm 

Count me in, can't refuse some thrashing action.

infinitenexus wrote:
If anyone wants to do the randomly assigned lyrical topics I could do that, I guess.

I'm new to this and didn't really understand this last sentence. Does it mean we'll have imposed lyrical themes? I checked older contest threads and noticed there were some precise rules, which ones will apply?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:05 am 

He's saying if you want some imposed lyrical theme he'll give you one. He is not making it manditory. I'm going to give this a shot.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:24 am 

I'm already shooting at a possible Thrash/Doom song just to try to (successfully) break some ground. Might as well do it for a challenge. Sign me up.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:14 am 

Maybe listen to Sorrow. it's death metal but the closest to what I think you are talking about doing is the first track off of their album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fvzo_VtC3E

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:32 am 

Guitar tone reminds me of Wraith of the Ropes. Fucking awesome sound, might try for a similar tone

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:33 am 

Is thrash/black in old school vein OK? Something like early Tormentor (Hun)...

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:50 am 

thrash/black is absolutely fine. Any variation of thrash metal is acceptable, you could even do speed metal or a kind of heavy power metal and it would be okay.

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:13 pm 

Sign me as well please :) Would be pure challenge for me for sure :)
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:21 am 

Please count me in too. I already have a song (a tribute to one of the greatest European warlords) composed but it's currently in the draft demo stage. Drums, vocals and production will be a real challenge.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:21 pm 

This would be a great way to make a song for your significant other. Being that the challenge ends on Valentines Day... Nothing says love more than rage, war, and holocaust.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:24 am 

or you can fuck it up and make it a song about pizza and retro crapthrashattack

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:13 pm 

count me in guys, I'll finish my exams on 6th of February I think a week would be enough for me to record one short song

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:12 pm 

I progressed a bit. I now have two unfinished versions of my song, a slower and a faster version. Both aren't satisfying enough in terms of production for the moment. I wonder if I should finish both versions or only concentrate on perfecting one version. Or even record a third version.

The faster version includes overdubbed drums, meaning I recorded kick and snare first, then cymbals. The slower version (with drums naturally recorded in one take) doesn't really sound tighter. That's why I'm thinking about rehearsing the drums again and recording a third version.

It's really tedious to work alone on used/lo-fi material. I'd really like to afford recording in a professional hi-tech studio with a skilled producer/sound engineer. Since I can hardly record a satisfying result, I tend to have a minimalist approach (in terms of requirement). That's a pity, cause I'm condemned to sound DIY and I feel like the potential of my songs is not fully exploited.

There really is a problem about time/priority. I cannot play the instrumental takes correctly (I cannot punch-in my drum takes, for instance) and tweak the tone settings (which takes hours to get something that really sounds good, or at least that sounds how I want), I have to make a choice between both.

Extending the time limit wouldn't help me. I need a deadline.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:28 pm 

You shouldn't need to punch in your drum takes. you should be able to perform the entire track in one take. I never punch in drums. That's for lazy shits.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:58 pm 

You shouldn't need to, but it sure takes the time out of re-re-re-re-rerecording everything because one crash hit sounds a tiny bit off on take 1, or take 2 was sloppy, or you could do take 3 better.... you know what I'm saying.

On the other hand, I don't believe in doing only snare and kick one take, then layering in the cymbals. That part is lazy indeed. I see why one might be tempted to do it, but if you wanna do something, at least attempt to do it right. Otherwise it seems unnatural and amateur.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:19 am 

Are you saying it's better to go punch in cause if you are doing multiple takes.... and you want to splice them together... then just do another one and do it all correctly. Nothing is more simplier than that. Otherwise that's just lazy ass ways of doing shit. I don't punch in on drums I don't punch in on guitar I don't punch in on bass. I'll allow some punch in on vocals but many times that's all single takes for me as well.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:06 am 

I'm not fully understanding your post, but what I mean is recording one good take and saving it. After that, whatever parts are sloppy, have the drummer rerecord those segments while having him lead into the part to be replaced in an effort to blend it seamlessly with the original take. Depending on how you're recording them though, you could do two takes and just swap parts to put it simply, but I personally have never seen this done with drums.

Whether you want to patch bad spots or if you want to nail it in one take is up to you and your schedule/budget, if you are being charged. As long as you can recreate it while playing live (or at least do something equally as good or better) it really doesn't matter to me.

In any case, I'm at a stand-still at my song. Not because of creative block, just because of a hectic at-home schedule. I expect to finish though, so no problem there and hopefully not in the future.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:05 am 

I don't think I'll participate in this one, but I'll offer vocals/guitars to anybody that needs.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:54 am 

I'm saying whatever you record. You don't patch together takes to get what you need. You keep doing it till you get it right. And if you say well it's best by the budget if you are getting charged... no it actually isn't. Cause you still have to now pay that guy to patch together takes. It's better to be prepared and well practiced on your song.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:21 am 

^that person is correct. Don't record stuff unless you can play it without making a bunch of mistakes.

FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:31 pm 

If you're paying a studio and you're on a budget, I think the best is practice as much as you possibly can and then let the engineer fix small errors for you if you make any. A competent engineer can splice together takes in seconds. Nothing excuses not being able to play your own songs, but I don't think it's worth recording a whole song over again because a pinch didn't squeal as nicely as you wanted or whatever.

If you're recording at home and you have infinite time, though, I guess there's no real reason not to get it perfect in one.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:49 pm 

Did a bit of riffing, but still have to make more and arrange them. Not really sure what to write about for the lyrics, maybe some satan stuff like old slayer.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:25 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I'm saying whatever you record. You don't patch together takes to get what you need. You keep doing it till you get it right. And if you say well it's best by the budget if you are getting charged... no it actually isn't. Cause you still have to now pay that guy to patch together takes. It's better to be prepared and well practiced on your song.

I don't disagree, however I was talking smaller scale. As in things like FearTheNone posted. Anyone who goes in to studio without knowing their own songs is a moron.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:11 am 

Unfortunately there are tons of moron that rely on that studio magic than their actual skills. :/

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:59 am 

^that kinda stuff is what makes production jobs sound flat and boring. You copy+paste or punch in more than a few times and people will hear the sterility and fake-ness of it. Not a kvlt/real attitude or anything, but it is noticeable.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:13 am 

Talking about guitar I don't think that doing takes hurts, of course I am not talking about copy/paste thing, just something that would make certain parts sound better.
-Ecliptic Dawn [My Gothic Metal project]
http://eclipticdawn.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/Ecliptic.Dawn.Sy

Everything is downloadable on Bandcamp.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:11 pm 

I think for guitar it's fine, so long as you don't overdo it. The fewer punch ins the better

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:56 pm 

I'll admit I do it a lot with guitars. That's how I write my songs though, since I'm a standalone musician most of the time. I record a part and come up with a good follow-up and follow-ups to that and that's how I write. Unlike SLK, I can't come up with and remember 500 songs start to finish while I'm at work or taking a shit or whatever I'm doing haha :P

Seriously though, I have a horrible memory and recording segments at a time is the only way I know to write a song by myself. I don't mean punch in 5 times during the verse riff, I mean writing out an entire verse line or chorus line and recording the whole thing like that.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:52 pm 

somefella wrote:
^that kinda stuff is what makes production jobs sound flat and boring. You copy+paste or punch in more than a few times and people will hear the sterility and fake-ness of it. Not a kvlt/real attitude or anything, but it is noticeable.

Nah, I doubt that man. Copy and paste could probably give a subtle flatness to the overall performance, but if you splice together two takes properly no one can tell. A lot of the sterility and flatness of a lot of modern production jobs comes from the use of compression and the way it's mixed. Everything is stripped of its volume dynamics and pushed for maximum loudness.

Obviously you want to get everything in a single take, but for the most part I don’t think you’d really notice splices.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:18 pm 

I NOTICE ALL! I CALL YOU ON ALL!

I can understand punches in writing a song, but I'd go back and re-record everything after the fact. But yea. that's me.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:44 pm 

I'm guilty of doing my share of copy+paste on my songs, but mostly during the writing process. It saves a lot of time. However if the takes are good and clean then sometimes I won't redo them for the final version, because I see no need. But if I do redo them, I always try to get the songs in one take.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:48 pm 

KFD wrote:
It's really tedious to work alone on used/lo-fi material. I'd really like to afford recording in a professional hi-tech studio with a skilled producer/sound engineer. Since I can hardly record a satisfying result, I tend to have a minimalist approach (in terms of requirement). That's a pity, cause I'm condemned to sound DIY and I feel like the potential of my songs is not fully exploited.

Get Reaper. It can run on basically any computer, comes with a ton of very high quality plugins (like EQ, reverb, compression, etc) and those plugins come with a lot of great presets that can really help you tailor your sound. And it's free, although they politely ask that you eventually pay for it (and the price is $40 or so). I think I used it for almost a year before buying it. lol. It's also very user friendly. And then pick up a used audio interface off eBay or from a local musician or something, and bam, you're set.

http://www.reaper.fm/

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:08 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I NOTICE ALL! I CALL YOU ON ALL!

I can understand punches in writing a song, but I'd go back and re-record everything after the fact. But yea. that's me.

Oh suuuure you do.

Yeah, I get where you are coming from. A good continuous take is always best, and I'd never punch in on drums or during a lead or anything like that. I think I'm just used to it when recording synthesizers- I generally use around 3 to 5 different patches in a given song and I like to put in little subtle tweaks and changes to different parts during recordings. I have to simplify things a bit live as it's physically impossible to make the adjustments while playing, but in the studio I enjoy adding subtle details with tone and envelope changes.

Anyway, I'll stop derailing the thread. Good luck boyos!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:33 pm 

Yeah, get back to writing thrash!

I have 4 songs done or almost done for the challenge. I was really productive on this one, and I'm happy with the results so far.

Also the deadline is being extended to the 17th because of a wedding in the family.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:17 pm 

I haven't done shit for this. Just think about it. also there is a difference between doing mutiple takes and adding stuff like you are saying corpse... and pasting together what can easily be a single take if you practiced and weren't lazy or whatever reason someone gives.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:22 pm 

I will defend my laziness to the death.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:24 pm 

I will defend my cock in your ass.

Almost done with the cover with the logo in it. I'll send that to you once completed.

TheOldSkull
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:52 am 

So, my track is basically written, now I need to program the drums properly and record everything. I've hired Commandaunt for doing some vocals on top of it, which is cool because I didn't feel like doing them. Not sure how many guitar tracks I'll need, as the riffs are very simple and straightforward, we'll see...

Seems like almost everyone has made significant progress, that's great, the more the thrashier!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next