Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:22 pm 

We just finished our first release entitled Flayed. Would really like some feedback on whatever you feel like commenting on, whether it be the production, guitars, lyrics, songwriting, etc. I feel this is my best effort so far in terms of mixing - maybe not so much in songwriting, but it definitely has a beefy sorta old-school sound to it imo, which is exactly what I was going for (just not as low-fi as some of the great osdm records were).

Here's the link https://cryptelisk.bandcamp.com. Really excited to hear some opinions on this as I've put a lot of work into it. Cheers!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:55 pm 

I like it, are the drums programmed or something? they are so clean sounding compared to the rest. and really I think the guitars/bass should come up to really knock someone on their ass. was this more of a directline in type of affair?

The material and songwriting and performance is really strong, but how this is all mixed doesn't honestly get to show that off.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:57 pm 

Really when it starts soloing and the more melodic lines start that's just insanely great. it just seems everything is way too fucking low to fully be appreciated.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:18 pm 

Yeah, programmed drum machine and direct. However, I DID buy that JSX and will be looking for a drummer at our first live show so hopefully I can get an even more organic feel to the debut. My guitarist will be mixing the next one since he has pro-level gear and expertise, so that should increase the quality tenfold alone. What exactly do you mean bring out the bass/guitar? Just the levels or is there some issues with the EQing or something? Thanks for the kind words.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:49 pm 

meaning both the bass guitar and guitar guitar need to be up in the mix. the stringed instruments. But good job!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:01 am 

Pretty much just wanna echo what SLK said. I'm not really huge on those doubled demonic vocals, but the regular vocal style was good enough, and the songwriting/performance were good stuff. I'd love to hear this with a human drummer as the really repetitive programming is pretty annoying, but even more than that I'd love to hear this with a proper mix with some real meat to the guitars (they're just so thin and wimpy as it is).

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

TheOldSkull
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:33 pm 

Very nice atmosphere, agreed with the others about the sound. I might add there's a bit too much reverb for my taste (but it fits the mood somehow) Voice is great, riffing and lead guitars are really cool. I'm glad I participated on this, even if my contribution was only trivial.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:32 pm 

Thanks guys. We've decided to remix and add some symphonic elements (Like in "I am God" by Vital Remains - small accents and stuff). Will post back here whenever that is.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:47 pm 

I say throw out the symphonic elements.

Reply to topic