Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:51 pm 

So, I've been listening to a lot of Ruins of Beverast lately. Meinwald's latest concoction, "Blood Vaults" is probably my favorite work of his, and it is probably my album of the year. There are many things that I really love about it, but one of the biggest that I liked was that ghastly and insanely deep guitar tone.

Almost everything is perfect, the clean guitar tone is clangy and clear, the distortion is ridiculously deep and full, the lead is like a weird cutting edge that sounds like velvet for ears. Hell, even the feedback sounds good. I'm not very good at mixing or mastering, but I can only guess that his tone comes from a great mastery of low-end instrument production. It's almost as if the bass guitar is burying the mid-tone of the guitars, but is still giving room to "breathe" and follow up on melody. Another thing is how long he makes the chords last... It's pretty incredible.

I've been wondering if this is some kind of weird production or if this guy is just decked out with expensive unattainable gear for a common basement recording nerd. It would seem like this kind of production would be attainable with a * TON * of different pedals, and again, I don't know much about this. I just record shit on my 15-watt amp with a webcam microphone to make black metal, and often funeral doom with some guitar plug-ins/fast tracks in my computer.

Anybody have any clue?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:20 pm 

I would avoid a ton of pedals, personally. That guitar tone is actually very thin. What you're hearing is the bass filling in all low end frequencies that the guitar tone is lacking. So you're correct in that assumption. That's pretty standard in metal, although usually the guitar tone isn't that thin (unless it's black metal).

Get reaper. You can do all that for dirt cheap.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:52 pm 

it's def not a ton of pedals.

The clean has reverb on it.

it sounds more that it's a standard amp distortion played in some sort of drop tuning.

and like infinite said it's the bass guitar that's giving you all that heft.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:35 am 

Markov wrote:
So, I've been listening to a lot of Ruins of Beverast lately.

Oh, really? You've only posted about 40 TRoB songs on facebook since the new album dropped (at this point this probably isn't even hyprebole). :-P

Reply to topic