Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hebidoku
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:22 pm 

One thing I've done before is running FL drum tracks through the distortion tool. It gives a filthy and more believable sound.
Example

mike40k
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:03 am 

Hebidoku wrote:
One thing I've done before is running FL drum tracks through the distortion tool. It gives a filthy and more believable sound.
Example

To me that just makes it sound like the drums were recorded through the shittiest microphone possible.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:01 am 

KFD wrote:
Er, are you sure? Bathroom reverb is not a great reverb, and it's very recognizable...

You have to mix the appropriate amount in with the dry signal. That is why it would have its own channel / bus / or track.

It works pretty good with leads and vox, for that classic "muddy" DM sound.

I know you can do this (and ahell of a lot more) with vst plug-ins but trust me, once you try this a coupla times, you will see how much more authentic it sounds.

For the record, where I live the toilets are reasonably sized, i.e. at least 3 -4 meters long and at least 2 meters wide, with wall to wall tiling, so thats a pretty reasonable reverb chamber right there, if you know where to put the amp / and or mic.

Earthcubed
Peregrinus sine aetate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:21 pm 

I don't recall what track, but one of the songs on Karl Sanders' debut album involved him playing a gong in a long hallway and the producer going up and down the hallway rapidly opening/shutting every door in the hall to manipulate the sound.

I've also read of bands hanging acoustic guitars on the walls of the recording studio and micing each one separately while the guitarists plays his. The acoustic guitars function like an amplifier, plus you can tune them individually to whatever you want and they'll function a bit like a drone (provided the volume on your amp is loud enough to make the other guitars' strings vibrate).

civilserpent
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:10 am 

x/y overheads behind the drummer. lets me hear and capture what he hears.

DarkWhatever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:18 pm 

I record my guitar parts into a Boss RC-30 Loopstation pedal then upload the wav files and edit tones from there. Problem is, you can't use amp distortion. I hook up a Behringer Heavy Metal (Boss HM-2 knock off) before the loop pedal.

Then I put the guitar parts over live drum samples. I make the drums sound as dirty and live as possible to match the lo fi guitar tone because when you are working with wav files your tones will typically be trashy. I have a dude in England who I've never met that's cool enough to record bass and send me wav files. I distort the bass to make it fuzzy and match the guitar tone.

It seems like this should be a popular way to record demos because of the ease and affordable set up but most people are pretty WTF when I tell them about it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2