Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:52 am 

DarkMoonBlackSky wrote:
DecayingMyYouth wrote:
Why don't we have a time limit set? What I mean to say is that since (hopefully) this competition will be of a more epic nature, there can be no songs under say, six minutes or something.

That is an idea I personally had in mind for the third challenge, but why I had not suggested it yet, I have no idea.
Great to see someone else shares the thought though :)

What do you all think of a 1 song - 6 minute minimum length challenge? thirty five days time limit?

epic songs like this usually take quite a while to mix and master while making sure everything is tidy and clean... especially on the vocals' part. how about including a time frame for everyone to prerecord and track down concepts, like say a week or two? just an idea

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:30 pm 

That's the first time ever for me to write a review so I really don't know If it will be any good, also take into consideration that I am not a BM fan so, my opinion might be influenced by this although i've checked some black metal songs by darkthrone and gorgoroth my friend recommended to me in addition to bands I've previously listened to : Dimmu Borgir , Burzum , Darkwoods My Betrothed (one of my favorites).
Now the reviews:
Sadr_mordvig-Sisyfos2
Well the structure of the song can't be expected from listening to the intro, although it sounds pretty connected, the opening riff before vocals is somehow good, the Possessed like vocals are not really what I like to hear but they are ok, in general I like the variety of vocals you've used , the outro riff is also good. the kick drum doesn't have a punch and it sounds so deep. 6/10
Arkhane - Sleeper key
Fucking amazing guitar effect, starts with a killer riff everything is pretty clear maybe the best mix here, unexpected orchestration (I expected it to be pure black/death), great structure with great progress, piano in the end gives it more darkness ,pretty HQ mix everything is clear and I do like the effects you've used in the end, the lead in 6:40 is awesome and goes exactly with the song, I'd listen to an album with this style of songs, but it misses vocals, that's the only thing I can say . 10/10
Brodric-Experiment
this is the first time I listen to this kind of music, and it wasn't bad at all, It really works for an intro. 6/10
Brodric-If We Vanished
the drum kick isn't audible at all, to be honest, I didn't like the guitar chords in the beginning till minute 2 or sth, then the tremolo riff, this one is not bad at all, it gives a feeling of melancholy when it comes with vocals, now when the guitar plays those random notes at 4:47 I felt the atmosphere that's being built was broke, anyway when those notes proceeds with the tremolo riff it gets somehow better. the guitar tone is not what I personally like, the mix is really not any good the positive thing was the atmosphere and vocals. 5/10
DecayingMyYouth-In Dreams Forgotten
Nice music, I liked the synth work in general especially the choir, although it's not standard black metal, at 3:20 it really gets so good, with all of these synth layers. the only boring thing is vocals, I don't like whispering at all, and it sounds like you're repeating lyrics all the time. the mix is fine. 7/10
Ilwhyan-Maksalaatikko
first of everything that cymbal sound is pretty annoying, no offense really but vocals sounded like metalcore style nevertheless I do really like that kind of vocals, but it would sound cooler If you go deeper and higher and never get stuck with one layer. the riff in the beginning cool but it's the destroyed by the annoying drums. the guitar leads are like heavy metal, anyway the song didn't sound so blackish to me. the worst thing was drums especially on outro. 5/10
nex666-Desecrating Ancient Essence
the guitar tone is pretty evil, although the drums aren't so clear but it's totally heavy and blackish, vocals are not what i like but they suit the atmosphere perfectly, the spoken words with guitar chords in the middle of the song are charming. Although it's not my style but I liked the song and I guess it would satisfy any black metal fan. 8/10
ShaolinLambKiller-bm one
I'll be honest with you, I didn't like the work here at all, the guitar riffs aren't what I like at all except for the last riff(5:05) it was not bad at all , I didn't like the screams as well, but I can listen to this track many times without getting bored of DRUMS, drums here are really the best, kick ass drumming skills absolutely enjoyable. In general I didn't like anything except for drums. 5/10
ShaolinLambKiller-bm two
this one is like the previous one, I didn't like riffs at all, the vocals are somehow better. the mix is worst than the previous one which makes drums less clear. I can't say a lot here 4/10.
In the end, NO ONE SHOULD TAKE THIS PERSONAL, I totally respect everyone and written my opinion honestly and I've listened to every song at least 3 times, 2 times when I downloaded and one time when I was writing.
-Ecliptic Dawn [My Gothic Metal project]
http://eclipticdawn.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/Ecliptic.Dawn.Sy

Everything is downloadable on Bandcamp.

DecayingMyYouth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:25 pm 

Nightwisher1990 wrote:
DecayingMyYouth-In Dreams Forgotten
Nice music, I liked the synth work in general especially the choir, although it's not standard black metal, at 3:20 it really gets so good, with all of these synth layers. the only boring thing is vocals, I don't like whispering at all, and it sounds like you're repeating lyrics all the time. the mix is fine. 7/10

Thanks for the feedback. I really wasn't whispering, it was kind of a raspy high pitched thing, plus for the black metal effect I added a lot of reverb and echo.

DecayingMyYouth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:27 pm 

Arkhane wrote:
DarkMoonBlackSky wrote:
DecayingMyYouth wrote:
Why don't we have a time limit set? What I mean to say is that since (hopefully) this competition will be of a more epic nature, there can be no songs under say, six minutes or something.

That is an idea I personally had in mind for the third challenge, but why I had not suggested it yet, I have no idea.
Great to see someone else shares the thought though :)

What do you all think of a 1 song - 6 minute minimum length challenge? thirty five days time limit?

epic songs like this usually take quite a while to mix and master while making sure everything is tidy and clean... especially on the vocals' part. how about including a time frame for everyone to prerecord and track down concepts, like say a week or two? just an idea

I'm with Arkhane on this one. Why don't we have a planning period of a week or so, an actual recording period of about a month, and then a mixdown period of a week or so?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:33 pm 

That works out to one minute of recorded music per week. I'd aim higher.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:37 pm 

Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Arkhane - Sleeper key
Fucking amazing guitar effect, starts with a killer riff everything is pretty clear maybe the best mix here, unexpected orchestration (I expected it to be pure black/death), great structure with great progress, piano in the end gives it more darkness ,pretty HQ mix everything is clear and I do like the effects you've used in the end, the lead in 6:40 is awesome and goes exactly with the song, I'd listen to an album with this style of songs, but it misses vocals, that's the only thing I can say . 10/10

that was not my song dude. i think shaolin or someone uploaded the wrong song under my name. this is my song. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16804794/At%20T ... 20Hell.wma
according to your review, i would like to hear sleeper key for myself. i love symphonic shit.
CorpseFister wrote:
That works out to one minute of recorded music per week. I'd aim higher.

when its an epic (which is notoriously longer than any standard song length) there needs to be a lot more care taken on the song. its not like a lot of black metal where you can record each song and be finished the same day, no offense intended (i'm a black head). i'd say for every 10 seconds of an epic, to make it sound truly epic, needs an hour of premastering, mixing, editing, mastering, etc. plus there's the assumed period of time your supposed to spend away from listening to the song to make sure your mind is clear and unbiased next time you come back and mix the song (usually about 3 days to 2 weeks)

DarkMoonBlackSky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:32 pm 

DecayingMyYouth wrote:

Why don't we have a planning period of a week or so, an actual recording period of about a month, and then a mixdown period of a week or so?

This sounds really good, I had a think about it and this is what I came up with.

Planning period - 10 days
Writing period - 30 days
Recording period - 5 days
Mix and mastering period - 7 days

So this basically works out to be fifty two days in total to write one song that is epic in length, with a seven minute minimum length.

What do you guys think of this schedule?

DecayingMyYouth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:08 am 

DarkMoonBlackSky wrote:
DecayingMyYouth wrote:

Why don't we have a planning period of a week or so, an actual recording period of about a month, and then a mixdown period of a week or so?

This sounds really good, I had a think about it and this is what I came up with.

Planning period - 10 days
Writing period - 30 days
Recording period - 5 days
Mix and mastering period - 7 days

So this basically works out to be fifty two days in total to write one song that is epic in length, with a seven minute minimum length.

What do you guys think of this schedule?

Sounds good, BUT I don't think that the recording period should be so short. I think the Writing and Recording periods should be merged.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:41 am 

KvltLord wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
still using the one about if you didn't complete your song in time to turn it in then you are barred from all future competitions cause you would pretty much wipe out everyone.

Nah Shao, I'll be making it a point to not include that stupid rule in the next challenge. That was one, of my many idiotic ideas that I brought to the board and I'm glad that someone with common sense stepped in and removed it from the final idea.
I've said a lot of stupid things on this board, that being one of them, and I'm trying to repair all the stupid shit that I've done by only posting when I feel need be.

I'm not going to head the third challenge, I think I'll leave that up to Dark or yourself or whatever, I just want to atone for all the stupid shit I've done, and hopefully people will look at me with a bit more fondness on the board.

But as Dark has said, if people could post a few more ideas and changes they'd like to make for the third challenge, it would probably contribute to the third challenge being more refined and enjoyable all around.

i def don't want to head it up. i couldn't even get everyone's songs in the zip folder correctly nor have i found the time to do any decent reviews on anything. I'm finding myself more busy and tired by the end of the day to manage this in any form. plus I just deleted out my inbox on here by accident.

DecayingMyYouth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:55 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
KvltLord wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
still using the one about if you didn't complete your song in time to turn it in then you are barred from all future competitions cause you would pretty much wipe out everyone.

Nah Shao, I'll be making it a point to not include that stupid rule in the next challenge. That was one, of my many idiotic ideas that I brought to the board and I'm glad that someone with common sense stepped in and removed it from the final idea.
I've said a lot of stupid things on this board, that being one of them, and I'm trying to repair all the stupid shit that I've done by only posting when I feel need be.

I'm not going to head the third challenge, I think I'll leave that up to Dark or yourself or whatever, I just want to atone for all the stupid shit I've done, and hopefully people will look at me with a bit more fondness on the board.

But as Dark has said, if people could post a few more ideas and changes they'd like to make for the third challenge, it would probably contribute to the third challenge being more refined and enjoyable all around.

i def don't want to head it up. i couldn't even get everyone's songs in the zip folder correctly nor have i found the time to do any decent reviews on anything. I'm finding myself more busy and tired by the end of the day to manage this in any form. plus I just deleted out my inbox on here by accident.

If no one else volunteers to head it up, I'll see what I can do.

DarkMoonBlackSky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:58 am 

Well, if Kvlt is willing to pass the torch, then I suppose I'm the next in line to do it.

As I said, I won't be writing any music, but I AM offering to do leads for anyone that is interested, mainly based on the major and pentatonic scale. I thought I would be a suitable candidate, seeing as how I won't have to worry about any writing or anything, and I can instead focus on getting everybody's music together and organized.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:27 am 

Arkhane wrote:
Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Arkhane - Sleeper key

that was not my song dude. i think shaolin or someone uploaded the wrong song under my name. this is my song. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16804794/At%20T ... 20Hell.wma
according to your review, i would like to hear sleeper key for myself. i love symphonic shit.
then who composed this ? it's a fucking masterpiece I am downloading your song now.
Edit: Arkhane - at the mouth of hell
pretty good riffing , the mix is ok, I've enjoyed the song, the high guitars were good and added some atmosphere the vocals are amazing one of the best here , I can say that this is the best vocals here. 8/10

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:02 am 

I know it's not the right place to post such thing but anyway after listening to you songs I thought I could try making some of these vocals (Cuz I am the only one here who used standard death growls instead of black metal vox)
here is my first ever try to do such vocals, you might laugh like hell I don't know but I couldn't find anyway to make the death growls higher so here's something totally new to my vocals experience,
http://www.mediafire.com/?hab69r6xbf6x0yz
If anyone has notes to improve this or thinks it's fucking shit and should try sth different plz feel free to post

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:09 pm 

Nightwisher1990: I realise the drum sounds weren't exactly optimal considering we used electronic drums, however seeing this is a songwriting contest I dissent you critising the song almost solely based on the drum sounds. :/

Well, thanks for the feedback anyway.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:55 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Nightwisher1990: I realise the drum sounds weren't exactly optimal considering we used electronic drums, however seeing this is a songwriting contest I dissent you critising the song almost solely based on the drum sounds. :/

It's not like that , I didn't mean to critisising drums , but what I mean the hit after hit cymbals were really annoying , the notation was the case ;) anyway it's a matter of taste its's only my opinion.

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:23 pm 

Nightwisher1990 wrote:
I know it's not the right place to post such thing but anyway after listening to you songs I thought I could try making some of these vocals (Cuz I am the only one here who used standard death growls instead of black metal vox)
here is my first ever try to do such vocals, you might laugh like hell I don't know but I couldn't find anyway to make the death growls higher so here's something totally new to my vocals experience,
If anyone has notes to improve this or thinks it's fucking shit and should try sth different plz feel free to post

Do it in the context of some music and i'll tell you

MoonPenatrator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:37 pm 

maybe the next competition could be a write what you usually don't write challenge? just a suggestion.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:03 pm 

nex666 wrote:
Nightwisher1990 wrote:

Do it in the context of some music and i'll tell you

well i haven't practiced yet, but I am just trying techniques to see if the primitive thing works or not

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:57 pm 

oh and I'm still going to review the songs or at least a few points as I listen to each. i got a few done last night. and I hope to do some more tonight. I just took a listen through a rough demo of this full length I've been recording. so far everything sounds good and tmwr I'll start tracking guitars. drums and bass are completed. I shouldn't be as tired since I won't be hitting the gym early in the morning then followed up with another 3-5 hours of drumming afterwards.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:42 pm 

I spent the entire time attempting to record working out kinks over and over again. I think I've got it to a level where I can edit and make my sound not so shitty haha. If I didn't live in an apartment, it wouldn't be so hard to record. My neighbors are old people who are pissed off at the world.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:12 am 

Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

It's not like that , I didn't mean to critisising drums , but what I mean the hit after hit cymbals were really annoying , the notation was the case ;) anyway it's a matter of taste its's only my opinion.
Ah, alright. Thanks for clearing that up. I still insist that acoustic cymbals would've hardly annoyed you so, since they give the drummer much more control over the sound, but like you said, a matter of taste. I will keep what you said in mind, anyhow. Constructive criticism is important, and I thank you for providing that.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:38 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Ah, alright. Thanks for clearing that up. I still insist that acoustic cymbals would've hardly annoyed you so, since they give the drummer much more control over the sound, but like you said, a matter of taste. I will keep what you said in mind, anyhow. Constructive criticism is important, and I thank you for providing that.

you're welcome, and I didn't mean any offend to anyone, it was just my personal opinion and I hope that I've succeeded in that.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:40 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

you're welcome, and I didn't mean any offend to anyone, it was just my personal opinion and I hope that I've succeeded in that.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:55 am 

is it safe to assume no more reviews?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:35 pm 

correct. i started reviewing them and had them in a separate notepad and it got ate when I had to do a system restore of my computer. so I no longer care.

I'm just shocked that my 2 songs got the amount of praise they did, so thank all for that. I can't even stand to listen to them and deleted them and all trace of them.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8