Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:44 am 

Recordings are nearly finished, although the results are not as satisfactory as I had hoped. The other song is very good, excellent even, although my vocal performance was seriously hampered by sore throat (for fear of even more throat-ache, I didn't record more than one take), but the second song which I first thought to be the better one turned out quite poor. The riffs are good and the idea itself isn't bad (Transilvanian Drudkhnger), but I can't bring myself to participate in a songwriting contest with a song so scrambled and disjointed it would make Satyr look like a genius songwriter with his Dark Medieval Times. Traditional black metal tends to have two kinds of songwriters: talented ones who bridge riffs together with subtlety and ingenuity and uninspired ones who merely stack them one after another. At this point I can only count myself in the latter category. I will participate with one song only.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:26 pm 

shaolin, if the deadline for this competition can be extended, then I'll have some time after work to write and compose some new material. an album without much material is just a waste really and plus, this is not the first competition i missed that i would like to participate in.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:08 pm 

Yea I actually don't mind extending it another week. this weekend when I was going to re-record my drums and drums for 2 other's tracks... my kick ripped and I've came down with some aids or whatever the fuck. So this might actually give me the time to complete it all cause I wasn't sure if I'm going to feel good or like shit tmwr.

DarkMoonBlackSky, I don't mind you taking it over. I just stepped up cause the original guy who was setting this up, left on his own accord only to appear later. So feel free to do one up and you can carry the torche for it.

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:51 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Yea I actually don't mind extending it another week. this weekend when I was going to re-record my drums and drums for 2 other's tracks... my kick ripped and I've came down with some aids or whatever the fuck. So this might actually give me the time to complete it all cause I wasn't sure if I'm going to feel good or like shit tmwr.

DarkMoonBlackSky, I don't mind you taking it over. I just stepped up cause the original guy who was setting this up, left on his own accord only to appear later. So feel free to do one up and you can carry the torche for it.

Yeah I don't think anyone would mind getting a few extra days to work on it hah. How many people have got songs together so far?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:20 am 

With an extension of one week, I should be able to participate with two songs.

DarkMoonBlackSky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:41 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Sounds brilliant Shaolin, and if the rest of you are fine with me doing so, then I shall draw up criteria for an early/mid January challenge, say, around the fifth or tenth, depending on how everyone feels.

This is very exciting :).

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:44 am 

DarkMoonBlackSky wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Sounds brilliant Shaolin, and if the rest of you are fine with me doing so, then I shall draw up criteria for an early/mid January challenge, say, around the fifth or tenth, depending on how everyone feels.

This is very exciting :).

Yeah I think it's a good idea, good to keep things like this happening in the musicians forums.

Moravian_black_moon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:58 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

It's the same guy.

DarkMoonBlackSky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:50 am 

nex666 wrote:
Yeah I think it's a good idea, good to keep things like this happening in the musicians forums.

Great to see that you agree nex666, hopefully I'll see you take part in the next MA songwriting challenge :).

KvltLord
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:48 am 

Seems as though the second challenge is progressing nicely, and now we have a user who registered only a few days ago, putting his hand up to lead a third?

Seems as though this idea has taken off guys, hope everyone is having plenty of fun :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:38 pm 

nex666, two people have gotten in their completed songs. a few people emailed and said they couldn't partake due to other circumstances which is fine.

and DarkMoonBlackSky, that sounds great to me.

I do feel better today so I'll be working on recording drums tmwr. I'll probably be doing some minor things today. mainly changing and tuning my head accordingly

Thrash_metal_forever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:35 pm 

Sadly, my shit has been way to busy to even bother with music, so I won't be able to put forth anything. D:

AppleQueso wrote:
Pepsiman wrote:
How ironic. I don't really wear jackets or vests, so this is really not something I can help with.

how the hell is that "ironic"?

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:45 pm 

Going to recording some rumble and scream tonight! haha

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:18 pm 

Ugh, I've been so god damned busy. The music to my first song is finished, but I haven't even really started on the vocals/lyrics. I need to just scribble down some words about torture being the true gift of satan and command everyone to consume their own feces and I should be good.

MoonPenatrator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:39 pm 

sorry guys, ima have to drop out of this :( finals week coming up, studying my ass off, just no time for the recording session, im just another stressed college student.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:03 am 

ain't no problem for all that can't finish. I'm going to do my vocals tmwr after i scribble some shit down. I'm probably going to have to take a completely different approach to vocals cause I don't want to bring back the sore throat I had on sat.

doing drums tmwr as well. hurrah.

DecayingMyYouth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:55 am 

Well, the final nail has been put in the coffin of this challenge for me. I now have a raging sinus infection, and can't scream/growl/do harsh or clean vocals for a shit. Sorry guys :/ but "In Dreams Forgotten" is the only song I will have.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:53 pm 

damn it seems this was doomed from the start. oh well next year with the next new challenge it should be a good fresh start.

Sadr_mordvig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:00 pm 

i agree... it looks like the black metal was cursed with spiral :-D (thanx for the recommendation by the way)

i can participate with one song, but my question is... should i, or should i not?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:12 pm 

might as well. I think a couple of other people are only doing one song. might as well have some stuff to listen to.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:35 pm 

I sent in the first song. At this point it's like to be the only one. We're busy enough recording the band's own songs at this point.

A word about the song: it's an idea me and my drummer got at practice when he played triplets and duplets. I used some of my leftover Drudkh worship riffs, and it turned out so good that, once finished, it will be the band's song. It still wants a bridge of sorts, and some parts need a little more work, but at this point it's ripe enough to be sent for this challenge. If anyone cares enough, I will make a post on this forum when we have recorded several songs of ours - possibly along with a finished version of the song we sent in for this challenge - so you may hear more from us.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:35 pm 

I'll attempt to do something or other. Not quite sure if I'll have something ready, or how black metal it will be, but I'll send you something.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:42 pm 

can't wait to hear everything :D
-Ecliptic Dawn [My Gothic Metal project]
http://eclipticdawn.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/Ecliptic.Dawn.Sy

Everything is downloadable on Bandcamp.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:47 pm 

i been fuckin extended on my work schedule, i no longer have free saturdays. i know its bending the rules a little but the only song i can really submit is one that i wrote a few months ago. i just wanna redo the vocals a little. just need the ok to send it in. its one that i've shown ppl here before, melodic bm, and basically the lyrics are about the physical destruction of the world.

Sadr_mordvig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:02 pm 

my song is based around one main riff(its there three times actually), there is also a burzum-y part ... you will see for yourself

lyrics are, as i said before, about sisyfos (and his myth)

and you know that i pretty suck at vocals - no surprises there :-D

DecayingMyYouth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:46 pm 

Well, here's mine. It's a atmospheric/ambient/black metal kinda thing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4463675/In%20Dr ... gotten.mp3

Sleepwalk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:49 pm 

I've submitted my submission. I only was able to almost complete one song. (It's called Untitled.) I guess that's on me though. My computer is painfully slow, so until I get better recording equipment, I won't be doing any more songwriting challenges.

Also, feel free to laugh while listening to my song. Because, frankly, it's so bad that it's laughable at some parts. So... don't hold back.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:02 am 

It'll all come out in the reviews I'm certain.

sure submit the old song.

I've gotten songs from 6 people thus far.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:31 am 

I'm going to collaborate and use MortalScum to do drum programming for me since I'm a feeb at doing that. This'll be a good chance for me to work out all the kinks in my recording setup before I need to work again for Autumn Reflections/Sledgehammer Autopsy.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:39 am 

very nice deal. I didn't bring my laptop back to the house to work on more shits thinking it will force me into doing some of the other needed shit I have to do that isn't directly music related... didn't really work since I got home pretty late.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:39 am 

so when are you going to post the songs ? I mean when do we have to write reviews ?
-Ecliptic Dawn [My Gothic Metal project]
http://eclipticdawn.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/Ecliptic.Dawn.Sy

Everything is downloadable on Bandcamp.

Brodric
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:01 am 

Nightwisher1990 wrote:
so when are you going to post the songs ? I mean when do we have to write reviews ?

You don't HAVE to write reviews, it'd just be courteous. ;)

Whenever you have the time, mate.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:58 am 

since it's extended a week. it'll be wed of next week when they are up and hell it's not a requirement to review the songs but it'll be awfully nice if you did. I'll probably be doing a review of them that weekend.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:47 am 

sweet deal. i would have loved to write something new, srry guys, but its impossible right now. but hopefully i'll have new drum software by wed and the vocals are a skip away from finished so itll be no problem.

when this thing is done... when the MA album is finished... I want the world on its knees.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:57 pm 

Since the deadline was set for this upcoming wednesday, I'll have a blackened crust song and a normal, fast paced black metal song to present.

Since I don't have a guitar at hand, I'm going to layer my bass tracks to make it sound heavier. Might also add multiple parts with my bass, but that's if I have the time/patience to do so. I have a mic so I'll do some screams. My song will probably be the most lowfi here haha, I can't wait to see what people say about it.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:53 pm 

ok my song is in. let me know when they are ready for download so i can write some reviews

Sleepwalk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:13 pm 

Just found out that a riff I came up with to put in my song is also used in a Celestia song. It's played a little differently than mine but is still very much the same. I heard this song after I came up with the riff, so as far as I'm concerned, it's original. But still... shit.

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:34 pm 

Not far away, anyone heard from Mr ShaolinLamb?

Sadr_mordvig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:08 pm 

we must probably wait till it's morning in some states of america :-D

DecayingMyYouth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:47 am 

So when are these songs gonna be available for download? I'm eager to see the entries and the reviews on my entry :D

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next