* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:26 pm 

CannibalKid wrote:
Saskatu wrote:
For exhales, you generally get a "meaner" sound, listen to the band Mayhem for highs and almost any death metal band for lows. Inhales seem used more in "core" sub-genres, you would most likely end up with the "pig squeal"

That's what I thought. I already know a lot about how to do regular death metal vocals, but can anyone post a detailed, in depth how to on how to do exhale death metal vocals?

Are you fucking with me? I JUST posted one on that very page...

CannibalKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:56 am 

mattp wrote:
CannibalKid wrote:
Saskatu wrote:
For exhales, you generally get a "meaner" sound, listen to the band Mayhem for highs and almost any death metal band for lows. Inhales seem used more in "core" sub-genres, you would most likely end up with the "pig squeal"

That's what I thought. I already know a lot about how to do regular death metal vocals, but can anyone post a detailed, in depth how to on how to do exhale death metal vocals?

Are you fucking with me? I JUST posted one on that very page...

No I'm just lazy and didn't read too much from the page, I usually just scroll to the bottom and don't pay too much attention. Sorry dude.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:15 am 

I need a little vocal guidance.

When I heard what my vocals sound like I decided to change style for good, and found a sound that fits better with my music. I went from basic growling (that sounded like crap) to more hardcore sounding vocals (that are at least slightly better). To get the basic idea, see this Rosetta song. Skip to about 2 minutes if you're impatient. There are a lot of effects in the vocals, but that's essentially the style I aim to do.

Pushing the air too hard obviously isn't good for your vocal chords and I'm trying to improve my technique so that I can project my voice louder with less air. Pushing it too hard also causes sudden headache and lightheadedness. Once I was close to throwing up after gig when the mic wasn't loud enough and I had to do use way too much air to get it loud enough.

Any tips on improving this technique are very welcome. My throat doesn't hurt when I do it, but after doing it for extended periods of time, I get a slight annoying feeling in my head, and overdoing it results in an instant headache attack.

Another thing: doing it without keeping my head up high also makes it sound throaty and pretty bad.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:20 am 

Last edited by Nightwisher1990 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiesMartisJulius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:15 pm 

Does anyone know how I can get a judas priest sound out of my voice, in particularly the Painkiller album. Im not really a singer but ive practice on occassion.

stiffy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:37 pm 

I would like people to give me tips and some feedback on how i sound.
I have only growled for a couple of months and im not world elite exactly, so dont be to hard on me.
But i think im getting the hang of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgAWxzy4xgs

There is a little vocaltest i did, its not much, and it is recorded on a regular headset mic so it might sound a bit wierd.

Think i got a chance of joining a band someday in the future?

DiesMartisJulius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:56 pm 

^^In the future yeah, I dont know im not a singing expert, but to me it sounds like you are straining your throat. If your using your throat right now stop and use your diaphram. You can blow out your vocals if you dont.

stiffy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:04 pm 

DiesMartisJulius wrote:
^^In the future yeah, I dont know im not a singing expert, but to me it sounds like you are straining your throat. If your using your throat right now stop and use your diaphram. You can blow out your vocals if you dont.

But the thing is it doesnt hurt my troath.
Well, only on one part i did it, when it says (broke voice).
But other than that it doesnt hurt at all, i have trained alot so it wont hurt. Now i just need to get better on the actual growling and not on the safety things.
Im over that phase, i just need to learn how to handle lyrics better, thats the hard part that can make me lose my balance and hurt my troath.
If i would just growl without using words then i could do it all day without problem.
But im getting the idea of how to pronounce words.

I know im using the diaphram because i can feel it vibrating in my chest.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:17 am 

DiesMartisJulius wrote:
Does anyone know how I can get a judas priest sound out of my voice, in particularly the Painkiller album. Im not really a singer but ive practice on occassion.

You might want to take singing lessons and eventually be able to hit those notes. Personally, I can't exactly remember how I started to sing, but I remember singing along to simple songs that didn't even consistent of high notes or just a few and developed my voice that way. Eventually I tried to do falsetto and then learned how to hit notes. Then again, I've been singing for over a year now, so it's quite obvious that I've got some range now. If I'm not mistaken, the feeling of doing a push up in your stomach is right when you're going higher and higher. If anything hurts, stop doing it and don't forget to drink much water.

Metal_Jesus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:00 am 

stiffy wrote:
DiesMartisJulius wrote:
Im over that phase, i just need to learn how to handle lyrics better, thats the hard part that can make me lose my balance and hurt my troath.
If i would just growl without using words then i could do it all day without problem.
But im getting the idea of how to pronounce words.

Practice with the vocals first. Try growl with all the vocals and when you spell the lyrics concentrate on vocals, this should help.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:44 pm 

I'm somewhat use to doing lower growls, but I have a question on the topic of Autopsy. How exactly do you do the higher vocals such as in "Ridden With Disease?" It seems like inhaling works quite well, but looking at the page before this it appears that that fucks up your voice?

Metal_Jesus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:29 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:
I'm somewhat use to doing lower growls, but I have a question on the topic of Autopsy. How exactly do you do the higher vocals such as in "Ridden With Disease?" It seems like inhaling works quite well, but looking at the page before this it appears that that fucks up your voice?

Inhaling doesn't damage the voice, because it doesn't involve the vocals chords. The sound is produced by the powerful inhalation of air and the vocal chords just DO NOT move... so it's like BREATHING, and breathing is the most natural thing for a human being. The vibration is produced by the oral cave and muscles. If someone can PROVE that inhaling damages your voice I'll be glad to read.

veilofblue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:03 pm 

Hey could someone please give me any tips on how to sound a bit like Abbath from Immortal? Me and my band are covering the song Sollarfal and well those vocals are kinda weird. Thanks in advance to any help given.

funeralbirth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:31 pm 

veilofblue wrote:
Hey could someone please give me any tips on how to sound a bit like Abbath from Immortal? Me and my band are covering the song Sollarfal and well those vocals are kinda weird. Thanks in advance to any help given.

Spend an hour everyday singing the Popeye the Sailorman song. And eat lots of spinach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ9SYgTk_hY

See the resemblance in their voices? That song is rather short so if you manage to imitate that voice you should be able to move on to immortal songs. I'm absolutely serious.

veilofblue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:03 pm 

funeralbirth wrote:
veilofblue wrote:

Spend an hour everyday singing the Popeye the Sailorman song. And eat lots of spinach.

See the resemblance in their voices? That song is rather short so if you manage to imitate that voice you should be able to move on to immortal songs. I'm absolutely serious.

Hahahaha yeah that could really work, and to be honest I never thought that Abbath sounded a bit like Popeye xD well thanks for the advice. I will practice with that song (and eat spinach).

joey72
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:24 pm 

shrill screams?
how to please?

joey72
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:26 pm 

any know how to do shrill screams i wanna widen my range

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:31 pm 

Do you mean falsetto screams? Like high pitched ones that hurt peoples ears?

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:42 am 

mattp wrote:
Quote:
The main technique I use is what I call "supervoicing." It's difficult to explain over text, but to get the sound, first make an "ssssss" sound. Then make a "zzzz" sound. You'll notice that these sounds have your mouth in the exact same position, but your throat is applying more pressure to your vocal chords to cause them to buzz. It's not an "on/off" thing, though. Try to slowly transition from the "sss" sound to the "zzz" sound. You'll feel the pressure slowly building, until eventually you pass the point where it becomes "zz" instead of "sss".

That's the difference between a voiced sound and a voiceless sound. The Z sound is the voiced version of the S sound, which is voiceless. If you keep putting pressure on, you'll eventually get to the supervoiced sound, which is a growl tone. It's best to practice speaking in a normal volume voice with this supervoicing and getting used to it so you can be relaxed and still bring the sound out. Otherwise you'll strain and possibly hurt yourself.

It'll sound pretty stupid at a low volume, but put a lot of power (power comes from the diaphragm!! not the chest or throat) into it and it will then sound awesome, with practice.

This seems like a good guide. I've been wanting to learn to growl, so I'll start here. Quick question though...z is voiced, so to reach a growl put pressure on while doing that? And that pressure should be from the diaphragm?

funeralbirth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:19 pm 

veilofblue wrote:
funeralbirth wrote:
veilofblue wrote:

Hahahaha yeah that could really work, and to be honest I never thought that Abbath sounded a bit like Popeye xD well thanks for the advice. I will practice with that song (and eat spinach).

Will you let me now how it worked out for you after the show?

veilofblue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:53 pm 

funeralbirth wrote:
veilofblue wrote:
funeralbirth wrote:
veilofblue wrote:

Sure I'd do it but I've been kinda bussy lately and haven't got any time for even practicing vocals

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:04 pm 

veilofblue wrote:
funeralbirth wrote:
veilofblue wrote:
funeralbirth wrote:
veilofblue wrote:

Sure I'd do it but I've been kinda bussy lately and haven't got any time for even practicing vocals

Nonsense, I growl randomly at work, around friends, and whenever I'm alone. Everyone I know is accustomed to it. Growl/scream/retch wherever you go!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:56 pm 

Cynical_Misanthropy wrote:
veilofblue wrote:
funeralbirth wrote:
veilofblue wrote:
funeralbirth wrote:
veilofblue wrote:

Nonsense, I growl randomly at work, around friends, and whenever I'm alone. Everyone I know is accustomed to it. Growl/scream/retch wherever you go!

:lol: So true...Adding in all the random shit on top of my regular practice routine has certainly helped. Today I was doing some death grunts in the midst of yardwork. (I'm in the middle of a ten-acre field, so it's doubtful anyone would hear...not that I'd care, haha.)

Obituar18
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:08 pm 

Wow, I've seen a lot of questions about doing vocals and that kind of stuff, and I've seen a lot of tips that might help you (I know that 'cause I'm vocalist of two bands and I've been growling for almost 5 years) and the only advice that I can give you, is that NEVER try to imitate the voice and sound of a vocalist you admire, 'cause you're never going to sound like him/her, everyone has a different vocal range, a different voice, and that means that everyone has it own technique and style, and the only that you can do about this, is to practice and practice and practice, it doesn't matter where you are, just practice

CannibalKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:08 pm 

I'm in need of vocal advice ASAP: I've been trying to do guttural Barnes-style death metal vocals for a while, and when I push the only vibration and movement I feel are in my Lower Throat to Upper Chest. Am I doing them right?

Last edited by CannibalKid on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
veilofblue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:08 pm 

Yeah you guys are right and I do that sometimes also (I growl while walking on the street, when I'm here wasting my time on the computer or whatever), but by being busy I meant that I've been studying because of exams and all of that so I need to concentrate quite a bit (still I've found some time for practicing vocals).
And Obituar18 (if your post was at me) I know that, the first thing people always tell you is to never imitate, that's why my post said "sound a bit like Abbath" because well, the vocals have to be quite similar, otherwise it wouldn't really fit the song. I never said I wanted to sound just like him, nor that I want to.

stiffy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:40 pm 

Here is my new vocal test. Im just singing from the text of Eaten (bloodbath).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K1KNcUnqok

And nope, this didnt hurt my troath at all, i took the tip to follow and concentrate on the text with 100%.
And it went much better then before.

Hopefully i have made some progress since the last video i made.
As i have said before, i have only growled for a couple of months.

Tips and feedback are always welcome :)

Valdincan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:48 pm 

Wondering if I'm any good at clean vocals (and growls).

Here are a few vocal covers: http://www.youtube.com/user/Haldei

stiffy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:36 pm 

Valdincan wrote:
Wondering if I'm any good at clean vocals (and growls).

Here are a few vocal covers: http://www.youtube.com/user/Haldei

Your voice is kinda black metallish i think, wich means its not a growl.
Dunno if its high pitch or screaming, but im just guessing. Im gonna call it screaming :)

Im not really the one to give you tips about how to sing since im a newbie at this and i cant high pitch or scream for that matter.

But my advice is to try to get off the kinda "crow" sound you have.
Only path to get over that is by practice :) That i know.

For people who like to give me feedback here is my cover of Opeth - Master's Apprentices
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5lRMxzP2kg

Always happy for opinions and stuff.

Leichenbergen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:52 am 

Hi everyone! Before posting here I did a search but didnt find what I was looking for.

So, my question is about extremely high BM shrieks, the good examples would be the US Leviathan and especially the french Belketre. How these guys are fuckin' doing this? Up to this moment I figured out they multitrack vocals and also use some effects (quite obvious observations but I'm a drummer and know only the very basics of screaming/growling).

Here are some examples of desired result:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xav27rX92M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q9MdTuQYsk

I understand such sound requires an emotional and creative input but for any transformation you need something to begin with. So, how to do screams that high? And what about the effects - what is used in the songs above? Such sound has to do mostly with effects or with ones physical ability?

SonsOfLilith
The Boy King of All Village Idiots

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:27 pm 

I've been looking at the lyrics of some of my favourite songs recently, and I've been wondering, do lyrics necessarily HAVE to rhyme? The song I looked through was Dreamless by Moonspell, and that song is just completely awesome, but when reading the lyrics, none of them rhymed. Is this considered okay within the metal community?

...bitches...

|Facebook | Myspace

Alaphlosiam
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:36 pm 

SonsOfLilith wrote:
I've been looking at the lyrics of some of my favourite songs recently, and I've been wondering, do lyrics necessarily HAVE to rhyme? The song I looked through was Dreamless by Moonspell, and that song is just completely awesome, but when reading the lyrics, none of them rhymed. Is this considered okay within the metal community?

Well, yeah. If someone honestly cares THAT much about lyrics rhyming, he probably doesn't listen to much non-mainstream music. Not to say metal with rhyming lyrics is mainstream; it just doesn't matter.
Do you realize that more Americans were killed by Great White than by the Iraqi Army in Gulf War 1?

SadisticOrgasm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:48 pm 

My vocals quite resemble with Frank Mullen's. Can anyone help me with any guideline on how to convert these growls into some Dying Fetus gurgles? Thank you.

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:21 pm 

SonsOfLilith wrote:

Of course. The flow of the written line and the pattern of emphasis given by the delivery is more important than whether or not it rhymes.

Alaphlosiam
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:53 pm 

SadisticOrgasm wrote:
My vocals quite resemble with Frank Mullen's. Can anyone help me with any guideline on how to convert these growls into some Dying Fetus gurgles? Thank you.

Frank Mullen's at what point of his career? His growls now are nothing like his growls on Effigy of the Forgotten, Human Waste, and even the Reincremated demo.
Do you realize that more Americans were killed by Great White than by the Iraqi Army in Gulf War 1?

SadisticOrgasm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:16 am 

Alaphlosiam wrote:
SadisticOrgasm wrote:

Frank Mullen's at what point of his career? His growls now are nothing like his growls on Effigy of the Forgotten, Human Waste, and even the Reincremated demo.

Like somewhere between "Breeding the Spawn" and "Souls to Deny". I can also pull some Nergal-sounding stuff ("Zos Kia Cultus" for instance) when going more aggressive. But most of the times while attempting this, my outer voice is accompanied by a raspier high-pitched voice backing up. I wanted to remove this at first, but now I find it meaner instead. I have quite a high speaking voice and I cannot grasp my breathe for more than 5 secs in exhales (about 25 seconds inhales). So... any guidelines for gurgles guys?

DejaKannibal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:15 am 

So, I'm a grindcore/slugde/deathcore fan, and aspiring vocalist for said genres, and I fancy myself quite good at it. But I'd like to add a style into my repertoire that I haven't in the past.

Basically, an exhale guttural style with a lot of power in it, and is...'beefy' and not flat and inhale sounding. Much like Disfiguring the Goddess and other slam vocalist do this style, and it irks me to no end on how the heck they do it.

Any tips? I know the diaphragm is going to be used at least partially, but I'd like to find out how to position my throat/tongue/jaw/ how much air control, and all that jazz..

Thrash_metal_forever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:22 pm 

SadisticOrgasm wrote:
Alaphlosiam wrote:
SadisticOrgasm wrote:

Like somewhere between "Breeding the Spawn" and "Souls to Deny". I can also pull some Nergal-sounding stuff ("Zos Kia Cultus" for instance) when going more aggressive. But most of the times while attempting this, my outer voice is accompanied by a raspier high-pitched voice backing up. I wanted to remove this at first, but now I find it meaner instead. I have quite a high speaking voice and I cannot grasp my breathe for more than 5 secs in exhales (about 25 seconds inhales). So... any guidelines for gurgles guys?

What I do for dying fetus vocals is take a deep breath, tighten my throat, curl back my tounge (don't kow why but it does help), tighten my stomach and exhale. My lips will naturally purse slightly, but I don't know about you. Tell me if this helps.

funeralbirth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:06 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqH0dltHlP8

Check out my new vocal cover please, opinions would be much appreciated

CannibalKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:29 am 

Does anyone know if smoking weed fucks with your death metal vocals? I've heard from Bill Robinson from Decrepit Birth (who I've heard isn't a reliable source) that it fucks with his voice when he's on tour, which is why he doesn't smoke when on tour.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 44  Next