Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hguols
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:30 pm 

I was wondering, at what point I should announce someone agreeing to review an album and them bailing completely?
(For the sake of saving someone else the same loss ~ you know, watch out for this guy he just takes your music and doesn't review it)

I've had two people from here, "Yeah dude - send me your album. I'll review it." and then I never hear from them again.
...one's been a little over a week. I'm not too annoyed though he's not responding.
One's been a lot longer than that. I'm annoyed.

Before I name any names, I want to:
- make sure this is something I can do
- make sure enough time has passed so I'm giving someone the benefit of the doubt
- make sure this is the place to do it.

Thanks,

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:26 pm 

As someone who's been on the reviewer end of this situation, I'd say it's highly more likely that the reviewers in question are more busy/temporarily unmotivated than merely meaning to steal your music. (To be quite frank, assuming that those were their intentions seems rather egotistical to me, especially considering you're not exactly famous...)

I work slow, and I typically do it without any sort of pay except for maybe a free digital copy of an album. Motivation can be hard to come by in such circumstances, and it's not abnormal for me to feel like I have to ruminate on stuff before I can say anything meaningful about it. So don't assume the worst.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:56 pm 

I'd rather not have you posting people's names over this. Unless someone on these forums is habitually asking for physical copies of music and never reviewing them, there's really no point to call people out on it. The reputable reviewers are quite prominent/obvious too.

I rarely get review requests done in under a few weeks, I like to listen to the music a few times, and I'm not always in the mood for writing. People take time, don't be impatient.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:55 pm 

Bands constantly send me things to review for my blog... I quit responding for the most part. I review for fun, I'm in school and have a job and a wife... I don't want other people counting on me.

And even when I did take requests, I only accepted digital copies to avoid crap just like this, where bands feel like I've ripped them off of a physical copy.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:06 pm 

Yeah, that's kind of ridiculous. Unless it's a straight rip off or con deal, if you send us your music and we don't respond/don't have time to review it immediately, then oh well. We don't owe reviews to anyone.

EDIT: I didn't mean to be so arrogant; it's just that this kind of thing irks me.

Hguols
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:50 pm 

Thanks for the input everyone.
I must admit, I was a bit surprised at how "frank" some of you were considering... I was just asking. My ego says, "guilty conscious much?", but outside of thinking assumptions out loud, I'm trying to discern if what I said was really that taboo. ...or if people here are just borderline grumpy.

For the record, I've never sent music unsolicited. I've requested reviews yes, but each time someone approached me stating that if I gave them an album, they'd review it. Its also possible that I was spoiled by one reviewer who had my sophomore release opinion published in 3 days.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:37 am 

Hguols wrote:
Its also possible that I was spoiled by one reviewer who had my sophomore release opinion published in 3 days.

Wouldn't give a lot about a review that was shat out that quickly...

Hguols
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:35 am 

Oh yes. Definitely not worth anything.
You don't even have to read it to know its not worth piss.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:05 pm 

Well, sorry to hear that but that's the risk you take when you send someone your CD.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:07 am 

This seems to be settled.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.