Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:56 am 

apologies if this has already been done a million times, i did a quick check but didn't see anything so...

how do you choose what you're going to review? i had a brainwave yesterday while i was standing at work doing nothing, thinking about the universe and such: i'll go to 'random band' (or 'random album' if the option exists), find the band's latest album on spotify/youtube, and review it. rinse and repeat - expand my horizons while reviewing stuff that wouldn't otherwise get a look-in, etc.

i also figure there could be a couple of small problems with my new method - for instance, if the first thing i click on is goregrind, which i neither like nor understand to the point it's doubtful i'd give more than 20% to the genre's agent orange, and probably about the same to its st anger. or if i keep coming up on bands like iron maiden or black sabbath, because i don't want to review stuff that's already been done. but you get the idea.

so i wonder if any of you do the same? or do you have other methods?

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:14 am 

uhhh maybe you should review something that you like and want to tell someone about? like what kind of a weird question is this, are you a compulsive music reviewer or something

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:40 am 

I wouldn't advise the random approach for the very reason you mentioned. If you want to review something new, just check the upcoming albums to see what's come out recently. This will ensure that the album hasn't been beaten to death, but you could still try something that you're not as well versed in if you wanted to.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:48 am 

I tend to review albums that I like to listen to. I guess that's why I have way more positive scores that negative. The negatives are albums that let me down....especially if the hype was there. I get promos sent to me a lot and a lot of them suuuuck! I don't review them because that means I have to sit through them. lol I'm not a critic, I'm a fan of good music. ;)

Like your reviews?

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:03 pm 

bug_man wrote:
uhhh maybe you should review something that you like and want to tell someone about? like what kind of a weird question is this, are you a compulsive music reviewer or something

not at all - i've got like 4 reviews on the site. i was just thinking i'd like to contribute a bit more, but at the same time i didn't want to just review albums i like. most of the albums i like already have 10 reviews, and giving a bad review can be just as satisfying as giving a good one if it's well-deserved.

i think stainedclass95's idea is the best. good compromise!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:08 pm 

Use the 'similar artist' feature on the site. Start with something you like, and just keep branching out. That or browse youtube, I've found a few cool bands using both of those methods in the past. Reviewing only established albums/bands you like is okay, but only if you really have something to add that hasn't already been mentioned in previous reviews a dozen times. I mean, look at that kluseba review today for the black album...why even bother at that point? Be a virgin killer and knock out some albums that don't have any reviews yet.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:45 pm 

When I'm listening to something, I'll sometimes think of something meaningful and fleshed out about the album and then go "that's good, let's put this to type later."

That's literally all that happens to me. Sometimes, I'll have a list of things I want to review, but I don't feel inspired to flesh them out for long periods of time. My review of Weltenganger existed as only a couple of sentences for an intro for over two years before I sat down and finished it in one sitting.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:15 pm 

I like to pick a subject (as pretentious as possible) and then write a series of reviews about the subject. Or, I find an album I obsess over and share it everyone by writing an incredibly long review.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:04 pm 

I only review new material. The oldest album I have reviewed is from 2010.

I have nothing to add when it comes to the classics. It has all been said and I dont think highly enough of my opinion to waste time here writing about albums that really dont need it

ApochWeiss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:44 pm 

I vary between stuff due out in the next 2, 3 weeks, to just working on stuff due out this month but still trying to keep ahead of the release date. The latter is what I'm focusing on now as I have some extra time to write and work on my site at the moment.

With that in mind, I further hone what I'm tackling next with a list of review material organized by release date first, and each date sorted by time with number of tracks listed next to it. This way I know what I'm getting myself into for however long it takes. Granted this part probably won't help you out OP given you use spotify and whatnot, and admittedly it's a ton of extra work, but it's worth it in the end.

Also, as a side note, not sure what you use for reviews but I use Notepad++, have template pages set up and saved so I can just "replace all" (ctrl+h) band names and album names in and whatnot, and when you proof read with it you can double click certain words to make sure you're not overusing them. Helped me cut back on how many times I use certain words in a single review though. I did learn the hard way though that the spell check on it sucks balls...

OpusDei218
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:56 am 

It depends on how many years you've spent on the genres of the bands you wanna review.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:46 pm 

Choose bands from the genres you're more opinionated/experienced. This is not only for noobs, seasoned guys should do the same.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:55 am 

Just write reviews for whatever has the most reviews already: St. Anger, The Unspoken King, Penis Metal. Doing the opposite of this would just be crazy...

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:10 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Just write reviews for whatever has the most reviews already: St. Anger, The Unspoken King, Penis Metal. Doing the opposite of this would just be crazy...

Yeah ZOMG there's even a few Metallicka singles that don't even have a review yet!!1 what is this blasphemy? But seriously there's been a couple things that I wanted to review that SUCK or are just really fucking weird but I just could never even make it through the album once and I don't want to torture myself trying.

Reply to topic