Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Idrownfish
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:32 am 

I wondered if this would be better fit in the "request a review" thread, but I've decided to make another thread as this is not really a request.

What I have to say is: why, being as skilled, creative and important as it was, is Coroner so overlooked in this particular website? Of the major reviewers, only autothrall has bothered with their discography, and No More Color, one of the most creative, well-executed and technically advanced albums ever made (and perhaps THE most technically advanced thrash album of thrash's "golden era", if you don't take the drums into the equation) has only five reviews...

Coroner was one of the pioneers of mixing neoclassical music with metal, and two of their three members are true behemoths of techical playing. I will taint their discography with my terrible reviews when I have the time to do that, but still...

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:23 am 

I haven't read all of them, but I think the reviews of Coroner happen to be high quality, and they address the significant points as well as some of the finer ones. Most of the albums with more than ~10 reviews seem to have a lot of clutter, repetition, and dilution of good writing - it seems that the only people who add to double-digit numbers of reviews are writing a full series (which is valuable) or occasional writers who aren't very good and don't have much to add, other than sometimes excessive wordiness and unnecessary details.

There aren't a ton of reviews, but there are enough to say what needs to be said, and they say so very well.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:53 am 

Five reviews is plenty, especially if they're quality. Do you really read through more than five? When writing my review of Grin, I went through the reviews on their albums and pruned them a bit so there were more before, but the quality wasn't very good at all. As for No More Color being the most technical of the golden era (wherever you count it to start and end), have you heard either of Watchtower's albums?

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:58 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Five reviews is plenty, especially if they're quality. Do you really read through more than five? When writing my review of Grin, I went through the reviews on their albums and pruned them a bit so there were more before, but the quality wasn't very good at all. As for No More Color being the most technical of the golden era (wherever you count it to start and end), have you heard either of Watchtower's albums?

Or Deception Ignored for that matter.

Idrownfish
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:56 pm 

No, I haven't. But hey, thats why I added perhaps.
I will take a look at those bands but while I recognize that many thrash albums are more progressive than No More Color, few acts have equaled Coroner in terms of sheer speed and precision (mistress of deception, for example, has a bass passage that is kind of impossible to play completely clean...)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:34 am 

Idrownfish wrote:
No, I haven't. But hey, thats why I added perhaps.
I will take a look at those bands but while I recognize that many thrash albums are more progressive than No More Color, few acts have equaled Coroner in terms of sheer speed and precision (mistress of deception, for example, has a bass passage that is kind of impossible to play completely clean...)

Speaking as a total Coroner fanatic here, I think you'll be in for a treat with Deception Ignored and Control And Resistance. ;)

Reply to topic