Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:31 pm 

As the topic says. I have gone from making long lists of things to review, from cherry picking from my collection, but I end up indecisive and can't simply seem to settle on something.

Those of you that review on the regular, do you have a particular technique?

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:40 pm 

If I end up having something actually worthwhile to say, like a hot take or unique spin, those are usually the first reviews to get finished. Reviews about my favorite bands are more likely to be thorougher and finished first as well. Those metrics will usually help me narrow down the list to a handful. But as for what makes it onto the list, that's a broader topic because I'm not usually just sitting around thinking "I need to review something". I would say the urge strikes most for me when it's something new and obscure or something beloved and classic (or known to be bad).

so tldr: settle on the one you would enjoy writing and/or could say something unique about

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:23 am 

What Aidane said makes sense, because there's no point writing about something that you have nothing to say for. So it tends to be that I would review something that I've been listening to a lot at one point.

However, when I first came to this website I was writing at least one review every day or two, just because I caught a writing bug. I would turn my Itunes on shuffle and then select an album based on what came up that I felt I'd like to write about. Most of the time, I would indeed have something I could say, sometimes it could come off a bit forced perhaps.

The other way, depending on what you write about, is to attempt to do reviews as close to the release date as possible. That's quite a useful work technique if you're writing for a zine or blog, because that's obviously the best time to be publishing your writing.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Reply to topic