Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:46 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Congratulations, Heraklyon, for the 666666th review on the site.

EDIT: God damn you Hoboe, we've got another six hundred thousand reviews to go before we reach that milestone. Sorry, Heraklyon.

Well... if you count the third 6 as both the last of the first trio and the first of the last trio, then it is. :lol: I can't believe I made that stupid mistake. I was about to start organizing a millionth review party for all of us, too. :(

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:10 pm 

How can Resurgency - False Enlightenment already have a review? The review has been submitted on the 6th, but the album doesn't come out untill 15/06. http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Re ... ent/341431

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:13 pm 

The guy who submitted the album originally had its release date listed as June 4th. June 4th passed, the review was submitted, and then the album submitter changed the release date to June 15th.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:27 pm 

I find it kind of strange that Sleep's Holy Mountain only has 5 reviews since it's a pretty revered and talked about album. A classic? I'd definitely say so. Maybe I'll eventually get around to hitting that.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:01 am 

Yeah I've been meaning to do a review of that one, pretty essential for doom/stoner fans. One of the first things I bought on vinyl I think.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:23 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Epica/Requiem_for_the_Indifferent/325301/ayham_qasim

Okay, so this is obvious discussion fodder. Here's my favorite part:

"The reason why is because Requiem for the Indifferent takes a huge step in the death metal direction; that’s right folks, DEATH METAL! But, like every other Epica album, Requiem for the Indifferent has its fair share of ballads that cause people (including me) to shed tears with its sheer beauty and immensely powerful emotion."

:lol:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:34 pm 

I like this part better :

"Epica is another one of those bands where each album is better than the one before, just like Soilwork, After Forever, DevilDriver, All Shall Perish..."

:scratch:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:43 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
"Soilwork"

That one especially... I mean... I can't even... You know what, just: :brick:
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:46 pm 

So uh, Epica are going death metal with lots of ballads? I have a feeling there's nothing death metal about them, maybe they tune lower and have the guitarist groan a bit more. It would be nice if the review.... told us about the music. I wouldn't listen to it otherwise, but it is called... "for the indifferent" so I think that means it's made for me.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:07 am 

I don't even remember any of the songs from that album.

I guess you could say...I'm indifferent about it!

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:33 pm 

Hahaha, wow. Great album name or greatest album name?

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:19 pm 

I'm not sure if this is the right place to report this (and sorry if someone else already did). It's just something that needs a quick fix:

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/D ... lazBlindaz

The review repeats itself in its entirety, as if the paste command was pressed twice. That's all.

Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:46 pm 

Just read autothrall's fantastic and vivid review (http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/N ... autothrall) of this classic album. To him I want to say:
Thanks for writing about the band that not only helped shape my life musically but also socially. Even though they didn't sing about solutions as such, their commentary and expressed disappointment and anger for politics and humanity helped open doors in my mind. Nuclear Assault have always been and remain dear to my heart, along with an elite few.
The guitar tone on this album is so raggedy, raw, wet and bloody. The drumming is simple, relentless and slamming.
"But, then, that's the joy of this album: it's so damned earnest and innocent that it's impossible to dislike even in lieu of its flaws, which primarily appear in the uninteresting and unfunny vignettes like "My America" or the "Mr. Softee Theme", which even made me cringe as a 13 year old."
Agreed. It's possible we were around the same age getting sucked into their world of raw fury. I was probably eleven. Or twelve (doesn't matter). My grandpa drove me into this neighboring fjord (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neskaupsta%C3%B0ur) of my village because I had saved up some money for records. I came home with Game Over. Shit's never been the same ever since.

Anyway. This review brilliantly sums up the feelings this album emitted when it came out and did the rounds, and also how one experiences it now, in context, all those years later.

Last edited by 730 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:53 pm 

Yeah, it was a great review. I've been meaning to listen to that band, so maybe I'll do that soon...

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:06 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Yeah, it was a great review. I've been meaning to listen to that band, so maybe I'll do that soon...

Definitely check them out, they were one of the best bands to come out of the New York thrash scene and were arguably more consistent than Anthrax, save their one little flop "Out Of Order".
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:53 pm 

730 wrote:
Just read autothrall's fantastic and vivid review (http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/N ... autothrall) of this classic album.

Sorry, which one? Link doesn't work as it is here .. I'd like to read and listen to whatever is this compelling.

edit: nevermind, I got it. Just saw the thread that was locked and moved here ..

naverhtrad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:19 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Metal_Detector wrote:

Definitely check them out, they were one of the best bands to come out of the New York thrash scene and were arguably more consistent than Anthrax, save their one little flop "Out Of Order".

Just want to second this.

Nuke are amazing; autothrall's review certainly gave them their due! (I also very much agree with him that Survive and Handle With Care are their high points; Survive being slightly the better of the two.)

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:13 pm 

Glad to see some different people posting in here. This place could be livelier. :)

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:01 pm 

Indeed! Tony and I discussed how to give this place more traffic, and new faces are always welcome!

Obligatory Last FM Link

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:13 am 

While I'm not quite as enthusiastic about the new Ihsahn as lordaz was, his review of it was still really, really good.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:03 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Metal_Detector wrote:

I've delved headfirst into Nuclear Assault and holy fuck, they're kind of blowing me away. I love the energy, attitude, and desperation of this stuff. Will definitely be favorite of mine in the coming weeks and beyond.

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:19 pm 

730 wrote:
Just read autothrall's fantastic and vivid review (http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/N ... autothrall) of this classic album. To him I want to say:
Thanks for writing about the band that not only helped shape my life musically but also socially.

It's my pleasure, man. Always great to read others' experiences with some of these classics, so thanks for sharing that.

Metal_Detector wrote:
I've delved headfirst into Nuclear Assault and holy fuck, they're kind of blowing me away. I love the energy, attitude, and desperation of this stuff. Will definitely be favorite of mine in the coming weeks and beyond.

Strap on your riot gear, and keep some potassium iodide tabs handy.

Verd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:27 am 

A little sidenote to you autothrall:

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/L ... mo/208000/

Lifelover's Promo has been recorded and released in 2005, not 1995 ;)

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:16 am 

Verd wrote:
A little sidenote to you autothrall:

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/L ... mo/208000/

Lifelover's Promo has been recorded and released in 2005, not 1995 ;)

Weird. I had it correct in the header and tag on my site, but not in the review text.

Anyway, thanks Verd. Fixed.

Iron Priest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:10 pm 

Just wondering how long it usually takes to approve or deny reviews. We all have lives and are busy I know, but what's the average time? I'm curious because I have a review that hasn't been rejected or accepted and it's been up nearly three weeks. I'm not complaining, if it usually takes a month or two to get reviews up, that's fine, I'm just curious.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:41 pm 

Iron Priest wrote:
Just wondering how long it usually takes to approve or deny reviews. We all have lives and are busy I know, but what's the average time? I'm curious because I have a review that hasn't been rejected or accepted and it's been up nearly three weeks. I'm not complaining, if it usually takes a month or two to get reviews up, that's fine, I'm just curious.

I know that it has to do with how many reviews the release you chose has and the amount of points you have. Once you get a large number of reviews already written, the mods come to know what to expect and will usually reject/accept your reviews rather quickly. Take that as an unofficial answer only from my experience however. ;)

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:06 pm 

Iron Priest wrote:

There is really no average time, it varies a lot and ranges from same day to a month or so. I'd guess the factors that get my reviews approved rather quickly are:
-I have written a lot of reviews, so the mods looking at the review queue know what to expect from my writing.
-I often write very short, concise reviews that fit the MA guidelines perfectly (all about the music, minimal background/history, few tangents)
-Most of my reviews cover released with <5 reviews, a lot of them being the first reviews of certain bands, which I aim to do. I rarely/never duplicate something that is already said in reviews on the site. Napero's explanation of this:

Napero wrote:
There's the productive but -in my eyes- quite useless reviewer, often a complete newbie, who insists on writing mediocre and unoriginal reviews on some dead horse, such as the full-lengths of Metallica, Iced Earth or Judas Priest. Those guys are the reason why reviews on Opeth, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater and other bands with 200+ reviews stay in the queue for weeks: I, personally, have an aversion to reading them, simply because I pretty much know I have seen EVERY SINGLE OPINION and analysis at least twenty times before. And still they insists on writing on such albums.

In the one case where I did submit a review for an album with an abundance of reviews, it was rejected the first time because it wasn't taken seriously, which had to be clarified.

Unrelated: I enjoyed this review because I know exactly what the album sounds like from a short description.
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/B ... TheUndying

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:12 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:

In the one case where I did submit a review for an album with an abundance of reviews, it was rejected the first time because it wasn't taken seriously, which had to be clarified.

I know what that was! ;)

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:29 pm 

I'll give you a hint: the dance floor was moving and a lot of cops died.

I actually got a promo of Morbid Angel's new one before the album was out and was supposed to write a review on it, but it's been shoved into the floor so many times that I actually can't see myself doing it, unless I pull out the review to end all reviews, which I doubt.

As Nappy said, that's my aversion too. Reading a review about Iron Maiden's Powerslave or Metallica's Master of Puppets is beyond tiresome unless it truly is abnormally good. Reviews for lesser-known albums and bands are always appreciated.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:16 am 

autothrall I feel writes the best reviews of anyone on this site. A fair amount of my reviewing style is influenced by him. Plus he gave my band's album a positive review and he was a massive influence on my band's guitarist musically and personally.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:50 am 

Autothrall blows me away because he's not only consistently prolific, but consistently GOOD. The dude is a machine. Solid review after solid review after solid review. I don't think he has any that I'd rank as favorite reviews of mine, but I'll always read his when I see them.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:43 pm 

Two of my favorite reviews of his are Promise by Massacre and Diabolus in Musica by Slayer, mostly because the entire time he's just going "What the hell am I listening to, and why in the hell am I listening to it?"

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:35 pm 

:oh shit:
but since I'm here I will say :bow: autothrall

Last edited by TheEvilSocky on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SortaShooter
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:31 pm 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
I'd like some constructive criticism on my current reveiw of Enmity Illuminations of Vile Engorgement
Spoiler: show
In the world there are basically two types of people,
the first kind see something extreme and think "yeah thats about
as far as it can go with out being ridiculous"
meanwhile the second kind generally prefer "WOOOOOT GETOUTTA
THE WAY BITCH THIS DEAD HORSE AND ME ARE GOINTA
CHINA!!!!!"

Enmity belong firmly in the second camp, on their release
"Illuminations of Vile Engorgement" they display their ability
to take BDM to its most absolute extreme, very little brutality
is spared in favor of song writing or anything else for that matter,
with enough blast-beats to power a third world nation and guitars
drop-tuned enough to achieve an octave below the "brown note",
the gut-blasting extraviganza doesn't slow down long enough to do
anything OTHER than "MAXIMUM BRUTALITY", one could say
then, that this is a bad album, however there is in fact another
side to this coin.

I'm not going to lie or even attempt to sugar coat it, if you are
seeking something that will take you on a journey, keep your bed
warm or pick you up when your feelong blue, this IS NOT the album for
you, Enmity would far sooner stain your good shirt, clog your toilet
and then rip out your jugular (just for good measure)
the heaviness exhibited within its contents are not a means to an end
but an end unto itself. Throughout the album there are two plans of
attack, 1(slow chugs and 2(helicopter grinding through concrete.
They stick to this until the last track "Severe Lacerations" where
they pull out classical guitars and proceed to kick ass with them.

Even I, a person who can in fact tell the difference between
"Braindrill" songs with minimum effort, have problems telling one
song from the other here (other than the aforementioned finale),
still this album does something quite remarkable in my eyes (er... Ears?),
many may ask "What could this possibly offer?" well it's extreme in total excess
and devoid of most anything musical, it's just fucking brutal incarnate,
and it's rare but sometimes thats all you want to hear.

You'll want to go over here for that: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16487&start=1720

My blog, about songs I reckon you'll hate: http://perfectpopsingles.wordpress.com

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:37 pm 

SortaShooter wrote:
TheEvilSocky wrote:
I'd like some constructive criticism on my current reveiw of Enmity Illuminations of Vile Engorgement
Spoiler: show
In the world there are basically two types of people,
the first kind see something extreme and think "yeah thats about
as far as it can go with out being ridiculous"
meanwhile the second kind generally prefer "WOOOOOT GETOUTTA
THE WAY BITCH THIS DEAD HORSE AND ME ARE GOINTA
CHINA!!!!!"

Enmity belong firmly in the second camp, on their release
"Illuminations of Vile Engorgement" they display their ability
to take BDM to its most absolute extreme, very little brutality
is spared in favor of song writing or anything else for that matter,
with enough blast-beats to power a third world nation and guitars
drop-tuned enough to achieve an octave below the "brown note",
the gut-blasting extraviganza doesn't slow down long enough to do
anything OTHER than "MAXIMUM BRUTALITY", one could say
then, that this is a bad album, however there is in fact another
side to this coin.

I'm not going to lie or even attempt to sugar coat it, if you are
seeking something that will take you on a journey, keep your bed
warm or pick you up when your feelong blue, this IS NOT the album for
you, Enmity would far sooner stain your good shirt, clog your toilet
and then rip out your jugular (just for good measure)
the heaviness exhibited within its contents are not a means to an end
but an end unto itself. Throughout the album there are two plans of
attack, 1(slow chugs and 2(helicopter grinding through concrete.
They stick to this until the last track "Severe Lacerations" where
they pull out classical guitars and proceed to kick ass with them.

Even I, a person who can in fact tell the difference between
"Braindrill" songs with minimum effort, have problems telling one
song from the other here (other than the aforementioned finale),
still this album does something quite remarkable in my eyes (er... Ears?),
many may ask "What could this possibly offer?" well it's extreme in total excess
and devoid of most anything musical, it's just fucking brutal incarnate,
and it's rare but sometimes thats all you want to hear.

You'll want to go over here for that: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16487&start=1720

:durr: How did I miss that, apology's all around.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:58 pm 

The new Pantera review is so cute...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:01 pm 

androdion wrote:

I stopped reading after the first or second sentence, whenever he referred to it as a thrash album. I like VDoP, I really do, I grew up on it and it's a ton of fun for just some chest beating primitive aggression, but I can't stand idiots who claim it killed thrash and idiots who like it because they think it's somehow thrash are equally as stupid.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:04 pm 

Yup, just as dumb as I expected. I've literally never heard someone call something one-dimensional in a positive light before. Also, thrash did not 'get old' long before Pantera was popular. Cowboys From Hell, their breakthrough album, came out in 1990, which is one of my favorite years for thrash. :roll:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:06 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
androdion wrote:

I stopped reading after the first or second sentence, whenever he referred to it as a thrash album. I like VDoP, I really do, I grew up on it and it's a ton of fun for just some chest beating primitive aggression, but I can't stand idiots who claim it killed thrash and idiots who like it because they think it's somehow thrash are equally as stupid.

Yeah, but that's not even the cutest thing about it. It almost seems that Ultraboris learnt how to write and came back without humour, imagine that if you can.

I think that if you continue reading you'll end up either laughing too hard and getting out of air, or alternatively be so pissed that you'll hunt down and shoot the reviewer. Either way nothing positive can come out of that! ;)

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:42 pm 

androdion wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Yeah, but that's not even the cutest thing about it. It almost seems that Ultraboris learnt how to write and came back without humour, imagine that if you can.

I think that if you continue reading you'll end up either laughing too hard and getting out of air, or alternatively be so pissed that you'll hunt down and shoot the reviewer. Either way nothing positive can come out of that! ;)

I just spent about 5 minutes laughing my ass off at this review, it's literally like he wrote the thing merely as a reaction to all the reviews panning the album as a boring pile of mush, which is what it is. I don't know how anybody can mistake that album for a thrash album, even when taking into account the Exhorder influences, it's clearly anything but.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 520  Next