Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:18 pm 

I don't agree with that passage partly because the album itself is good, but more because what bitterman wants metal to be is much worse than that in my opinion.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:30 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I don't agree with that passage partly because the album itself is good, but more because what bitterman wants metal to be is much worse than that in my opinion.

I can't imagine something much worse than that. What is it that you think Bitterman wants metal to be?

untappd: patrick_g

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:34 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

That album blows. I don't always agree with "him" but he does make some valid points....and almost all of that passage (except for the Korn reference because I hadn't heard of Korn yet) is exactly what I thought the first time I heard VDoP. And he's not the only one...there are plenty of reviews that feel the same way. And what he wants metal to be is not in any of his reviews....he points out, in his own way, what he thinks metal is not.

Like your reviews?

Last edited by mjollnir on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:40 pm 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I can't imagine something much worse than that. What is it that you think Bitterman wants metal to be?

That obnoxious intellectualizing of things just to masturbate their own egos - that whole "metal died in 1993" crap, which obviously has no basis in reality. Very small minded way to look at music. I'm sure part of it is just bullshit trolling, but even so. And really, insulting a band just because some of their fans are a bunch of meth head truckers just isn't really a sound argument for criticism, and doesn't make sense much at all.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:42 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
That obnoxious intellectualizing of things just to masturbate their own egos - that whole "metal died in 1993" crap, which obviously has no basis in reality. Very small minded way to look at music. I'm sure part of it is just bullshit trolling, but even so. And really, insulting a band just because some of their fans are a bunch of meth head truckers just isn't really a sound argument for criticism, and doesn't make sense much at all.

I highly doubt that bitterman was an actual guy, though. I always saw it as a character, a joke caricature of how self-proclaimed "open-minded" metalheads see "elitists". So thus I was mildly annoyed that he fucked up the score for "Dreams of the Carrion Kind" and "Surgical Steel", which were the only two albums I love that I recall him doing, but that was it. Besides, that caricature's not entirely accurate as at this point, a lot of the younger kids will call you an 'elitist' only because you don't like his favorite band (to illustrate this point, I heard that All That Remains wrote a song called "Trve-Kvlt-Metal" attacking 'elitists' who "want them to return to 'The Fall of Ideals'" sound :lol: ). I absolutely agree with everything you're saying though.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:58 pm 

true_death wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I highly doubt that bitterman was an actual guy, though. I always saw it as a character, a joke caricature of how self-proclaimed "open-minded" metalheads see "elitists". So thus I was mildly annoyed that he fucked up the score for "Dreams of the Carrion Kind" and "Surgical Steel", which were the only two albums I love that I recall him doing, but that was it. Besides, that caricature's not entirely accurate as at this point, a lot of the younger kids will call you an 'elitist' only because you don't like his favorite band (to illustrate this point, I heard that All That Remains wrote a song called "Trve-Kvlt-Metal" attacking 'elitists' who "want them to return to 'The Fall of Ideals'" sound :lol: ). I absolutely agree with everything you're saying though.

I was pretty disappointed with Surgical Steel but Bitterman's review is pretty lame but it doesn't have anything on that horrendous review from LeMiserable. It's one of the most painful reviews I've ever read. He acts like a Carcass expert but admits he didn't hear about Carcass until after Surgical Steel was released.

untappd: patrick_g

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:34 am 

I couldn't disagree more with Empyreal's review of Noble Beast. The album is just nonstop boner inducing riffs. I agree that they could have cut some of the album's 60 minutes (basically the whole last song, really), but everything else just obliterates. I think the lengthy tracks give the album a really expansive, epic feel. And the singer's voice takes some getting used to, but it slays!

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:52 am 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
I was pretty disappointed with Surgical Steel but Bitterman's review is pretty lame but it doesn't have anything on that horrendous review from LeMiserable. It's one of the most painful reviews I've ever read. He acts like a Carcass expert but admits he didn't hear about Carcass until after Surgical Steel was released.

Yeah, I definitely agree. The "jokes" were unfunny and not clever at all, and his negativity towards the album felt forced and not genuine. Like he hadn't even given the album a chance and was only reviewing it so he could shit on it and achieve "street cred" or something. I really don't think he even totally understood why some folks didn't like it.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:43 am 

bitterman made me happier as a person.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:53 pm 

What a wonderfully incompetent review of regurgitated and misinterpreted views on "Det som engang var" from Doominance, the same idiot who submitted a review of Black Sabbath's first album and talked about how downtuning the guitars shaped it.

Quote:
After Varg Vikernes had released his debut album, the self-titled 'Burzum' and the EP 'Aske', 'Det som engang var' was released swiftly.

Swiftly? It took a year and a half after it was recorded to release it, during which time he recorded two more albums and had a highly publicized change of record labels which ended a couple weeks before this album was released when he murdered the former label boss while allegedly bringing him paperwork to settle an alleged contract dispute.

Quote:
Being Burzum's second full-length album and one of the four or so albums recorded in just over a year, one would think that it would sound a lot like 'Burzum' or 'Aske',

Why would one think that? The band's sound was changing, as evidenced by those first two as well as the other two albums recorded in that time period. Unless one has never heard Burzum before and is completely unaware of the context and history of the band, that's a really poor assumption to make.

Quote:
since black metal is fairly one-dimensonial by nature.

:brick:

Quote:
This, however, was not the case. 'Det som engang var' is black metal. Absolutely. But it's surprisingly varied when compared to Burzum's earlier releases, as well as in comparison to other Norwegian black metal acts releasing stuff at the same time, for instance Darkthrone and Immortal.

Other than half of the tracks being ambient, but it might be too much to ask to examine the integration rather than make blanket statements about genre.

Quote:
It was clear that Varg had a pretty good idea what he wanted his Burzum-project to sound like already when he started out.

An odd statement, considering how the introduction to the review reflected on how much the band changed in just over a year during which four albums and an EP were recorded.

Quote:
He wanted to combine the harsh, chaotic nature of raw black metal with the atmospheric and almost cinematic nature of ambient music.

Considering the brilliant, flowing composition and the noted juxtaposition with atmospheric, cinematic ambient music, it is quite naive to call it chaotic. Perhaps if one simply writes about it rather than thinking about it, it doesn't seem to have any order about it. The ambient intro leading into a dissonant riff, a jarring Destruction-esque riff, and the classic Burzum "spell" riff has a very precise order about it.

I'd also guess that he's heard maybe half a dozen black metal bands if he is referring to this as raw black metal, because the production here is amazing.

Quote:
This, combined with the fantasy-based lyrical themes (most notably J.R.R. Tolkien's work) worked out superbly, and 'Det som engang var' is the album where the whole package comes together properly.

Only one song on the album has lyrics about fantasy/LOTR, the rest are about reality.

Quote:
This album has the cold, harsh raw black metal sound

:fuck:

I'll skip the next couple paragraphs.

Quote:
"Lost Wisdom" is song akin to "Key to the Gate", but it's a bit more old-school like with the Hellhammer influence. It's got a very groovy and memorable main-riff that has a great deal a swagger to it. The song remains fairly original, though, because nobody at the time used the terrifying shrieks for vocals as Varg did.

Swagger? :ugh:

Quote:
'Det som engang var' is very much the old-school Burzum we know. A bit less "mature" than later releases from the 90s (face it, 'Hvis lyset tar oss' and 'Filosofem' are the ultimate black metal albums), but the excellent execution of the combination of raw black metal and dark ambient make this album great. I would also consider it a tad bit more accessible than Burzum's other 90s albums.

What kind of buffoon decides to conclude a review of a Burzum album with a comment about how "accessible" it is?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:01 pm 

That reads exactly as what I wrote on Amazon ~2005/2006 as I heard my first 5 black metal albums (DSEV being one of them) and read up on stuff for the first time.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:52 pm 

@Zodi: :lol: Man, I did not think anyone could top Metal_Thrasher90 and his "80s thrash or die" attitude but...um...swagger? Varg? Good thing you had the patients to break that shit down...better you than I.

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
I couldn't disagree more with Empyreal's review of Noble Beast. The album is just nonstop boner inducing riffs. I agree that they could have cut some of the album's 60 minutes (basically the whole last song, really), but everything else just obliterates. I think the lengthy tracks give the album a really expansive, epic feel. And the singer's voice takes some getting used to, but it slays!

I have to agree with you. I've been this band's number one cheerleader on here since day one. All the haters have to say is that their songs are too long...but they agree that they have non stop great riffs. How can a song with so much great riffage and excellent musicianship be too long? The songs are epic and are perfect the way they are. I actually listened to them last night after seeing that review and I stand by everything I've ever said about them. That album is miles ahead of the absolute garbage that some of my favorite European power metal bands are putting out these days.

Like your reviews?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:25 pm 

Because not everything good needs to be stretched out as long as possible? Succinctness is a good thing, which NB don't have at all...if I have to force myself to finish an album, it's not a good thing. And what haters, haha, most people seem to love the shit out of that album. I barely see anyone but me criticizing it.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:31 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Because not everything good needs to be stretched out as long as possible? Succinctness is a good thing, which NB don't have at all...if I have to force myself to finish an album, it's not a good thing.

I feel differently. I think the songs flow and their length doesn't even come into play because the songs have enough going on to keep me interested all the way through. Six and a half minutes seems like half of that because they take advantage of every moment in each song.

Like your reviews?

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:58 pm 

Reading through 214 pages? Not me, not tonight. I'm here to thank LDSA for his work on Iron Maiden's 'The X Factor'. He's written 3 reviews here so far. Anyways, this is great job: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/I ... DSA/265602

PS. His review on 'The Final Frontier' is great. Lot of depth. I got similar issues on the album. In my opinion, 'TFF' is the worst Maiden album to date. 'AMoLaD' stuff is not how I see it, though.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:03 pm 

All this mileage because I mentioned Metal_Thrasher used a really outcast band in Salient as an example in his review. Whew!
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:28 pm 

There were great reviews put up recently. Diamhea's Iron Savior review is spot on and a great review. He was able to identify what not only makes them a great band, but what makes that album great!

Metantione's review of Mausoleum Gate was also great. That album is special in so many ways because of so many different influences and Tony pointed out almost all of them....because I hear a lot of Uriah Heep in that album. ;) But that didn't take away from the review. I enjoyed reading a great review of an excellent album.

TheStormIRide's review of the new Abominator album was also a great read. I don't agree 100% with his assessment because I thought it was worth a little more than what he gave it, but he made his points well and overall, as usual from him, a great review.

Like your reviews?

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:05 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
TheStormIRide's review of the new Abominator album was also a great read. I don't agree 100% with his assessment because I thought it was worth a little more than what he gave it, but he made his points well and overall, as usual from him, a great review.

Thanks man! That Abominator album was good, but compared with the rest of their albums, and the scene in general, it has a hard time stacking up. Maybe it's because the album really lacks something for the band to call their own. Or it could just be the mass of great albums in the genre recently, like Perdition Temple's "The Tempter's Victorious".

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:23 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Metantione's review of Mausoleum Gate was also great. That album is special in so many ways because of so many different influences and Tony pointed out almost all of them....because I hear a lot of Uriah Heep in that album. ;) But that didn't take away from the review. I enjoyed reading a great review of an excellent album.

Thanks, been a while since I wrote stuff on a regular basis. Oh yeah, there's definitely some Uriah Heep there and even some Hawkwind, I don't know why I forgot to mention them!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:40 am 

Always enjoy autothrall's reviews of compilations for the way he tears them apart. The one for that pointless Introducing Darkthrone release is no different, however this at the end:

Quote:
You wanna get someone into Darkthrone? Grab a flask of whiskey or equivalent, at least one of their full-length albums, and a boombox; take the prospective listener to a defaced local castle/landmark (graffiti preferred) or a woodland or park littered with abandoned automobiles and other social detritus. The closer to winter, the more effective. Take a swig and trade off. Apply volume liberally. Bonfires or oil-drum-fires welcome.

...sounds like much fun. I've never really done this kind of thing but now I live in a city that has lots of very cool parks with old bits of towers and such in 'em, this is something I could actually do. I don't even need to find someone to indoctrinate into Darkthrone, just some supermarket whisky.

Anyway decent reviews for both that one and the more recent compilation on Peaceville; I reckon the reissues with commentary (and in some cases new artwork) are far more worth picking up than either if people have extra Darkthrone bucks to spend.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:00 am 

sushiman wrote:
Always enjoy autothrall's reviews of compilations for the way he tears them apart. The one for that pointless Introducing Darkthrone release is no different

And that's my problem with most of his compilation reviews. They all espouse the same grievances with maybe just a modicum of historical background or in the case of the one you pointed out, that nifty commentary that you enjoyed so. It's like, okay dude we get it, most compilations are redundant and can arguably be views as "cash grabs," but if you aren't doing to dissect and complain about the track selection or something and apply that to the final score, don't even bother. Don't just hate them all on some pseudo-elitist principle and give them all super-low scores because the songs exist elsewhere. The internet has made the entire concept somewhat obsolete, sure, I get that, but he has hundreds of reviews that are all interchangeable in this manner. Perchance just due to the law of averages due to his output, but while I can almost always get behind his regular album reviews (save for Horrorscope, no fucking way), his comp. appraisals have always bugged me.

That Darkthrone one he just submitted is the way he should be taking it, so let's hope that continues.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:31 pm 

sushiman wrote:
Always enjoy autothrall's reviews of compilations

First time I've heard anyone say that.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:36 am 

I'm surprised to see they aren't more highly regarded! Usually worth a laugh or two aren't they? Yeah he tends to write the same couple of complaints every time a veteran band does a compilation, but for a guy like that who is so knowledgeable and enthusiastic about many of these groups it's good to read him approaching them from a more negative angle. In a strange way it brings out his enthusiasm for their work even more starkly.

Diamhea wrote:
They all espouse the same grievances

Aye, but in relation to that other thread about what the point of reviewing is, I see that as autothrall just being thorough. And the profit on it is that those analyses are available for say, Darkthrone listeners even if they haven't read his gripes about other compilations.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:35 am 

He's just keeping up his numbers. You can call it thorough if you want, I'd call it redundant... much like the compilations themselves.

You could say he's fighting fire with fire, but I'm not so sure. :P

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:53 am 

Acrobat wrote:
You can call it thorough if you want, I'd call it redundant...

That's a whole other debate eh :lol:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:22 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/A ... c17/339108

I kind of get what he's saying about this not being what you think of when you think AIC, but I dunno, this album IS what I think of when AIC comes to mind.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:56 pm 

That review was shit anyway, literally all it said was that it was dark and not exactly grunge.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:40 am 

Braindead Binky manages to have an opinion that everybody shares and still manages to fuck it up.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/T ... nky/324452

I'm absolutely in the minority when it comes to The Sword's first album and I accepted that years ago, but this is just some of the weirdest criticisms I've seen in a while. Every song uses the same riff? Like, okay I get that's a hyperbolic statement to say that the band isn't all that creative and only has one idea, which is a totally fair assessment because it's not necessarily wrong in this case, but to make that point he singles out two of the most instantly recognizable riff based songs on the album. It's like saying Ride the Lightning sucks because Call of Ktulu sounds just like Escape. Then he complains about the time signatures, as if every band in the universe doesn't use 4/4 about 95% of the time, and then in the next breath says the band is trying to be progressive. And despite nothing but negativity and how much he can't stand this album, it gets a positive score.

I hate reviewers who use the school's grading system. I hate everything. Where did I leave my whiskey? FUCK
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:00 am 

But BastardHead...

"Let's go back in time to the 1990's when Black Sabbath-influenced doom metal was slowly gaining ground.
The Sword felt they wanted to emulate Trouble as much as possible, thus we're left with a cheap and boring knockoff of 90's doom metal."

:???:

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:38 pm 

Quote: