Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:53 am 

For what i've seen i can say that I'm usually not a great fan of his work, but damn: some of his reviews are really spot on.
My favorite is the one for SEW's Magnificat, here he really does an amazing job at the difficult task of describing the album and the elements that make it unique, even if i don't completely agree with his conclusions and the score

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:53 pm 

Noktorn was such a good reviewer that being one of the people he ripped off doesn't actually bother me that much at the end of the day.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:10 pm 

I don't know why but I've always thought that NausikaDalazBlindaz always manages to review cool bands.
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:04 pm 

Noktorn was a good reviewer as far as writing, yeah, but his taste was so bad that whenever I see a review of his I automatically take the opposite recommendation of what he gives; if he rates an album poorly, it's a green light to check it out; if he likes it, it's a pass. I'm dead serious. He's up there for the worst taste of a reviewer I've seen, which is saying something.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:28 pm 

Regarding Noktorn's taste, the bulk of his bands - namely ultra raw black metal and ultra brutal death metal - were always pretty lame but a lot of the stuff on the fringes of what he listened to is really cool. Also, I have him to thank for turning me on to Wormphlegm and I'll always be grateful for that.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:07 am 

Nice Neurosis review Clam! You really nailed how Times of Grace is a hugely transitional album that doesn't bumble around like their early transition did. Listening to that album always brings back good memories.

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:36 am 

I only just started checking out Noktorn's stuff. He and I are apparently of similar disposition. I'm reviewing obscure black metal bands with alarming frequency lately; and although I don't expect to ever reach his dizzying heights or level, I've got the time and obsession to hopefully at least try on his boots.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:12 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Nice Neurosis review Clam! You really nailed how Times of Grace is a hugely transitional album that doesn't bumble around like their early transition did. Listening to that album always brings back good memories.

Thanks, man! I'm slowly going to go through their discography, and I'm definitely going to have to redo my Souls at Zero review at some point. I don't want to come off as a mega fanboy or anything, but most of their albums (minus Honor Found in Decay) really are that good. They're a pretty hard band to write about, because so much of their music didn't really sound like anything else at the time and so much of their sound is about feeling it out. As for Time of Grace, there are other albums by them I like a bit better, but it's definitely one of their most interesting for the way it straddles two different eras. Still has those raw riffs that seem to spill over themselves and the crust influence going strong, but the song structures are a lot more accessible and the atmosphere is fantastic.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:36 pm 

The thread on most divisive reviews made me revisit Enmity. I don't usually comment on reviews since I don't write them myself, but something caught my attention to the max. Just how much of a failure their LP is is besides the point here because the last one by Napalm_Satan is just....horrible. Not the writing, not the hyperbolic anger, but the arguments and points made. It's a gross misconception that Enmity has anything to do with deathcore, among other dubious judgements.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:14 pm 

RapeTheDead wrote:
Noktorn was such a good reviewer that being one of the people he ripped off doesn't actually bother me that much at the end of the day.

Noktorn was a unique reviewer, in so much that I would always consume his writing despite my personal opposition to the music he found fulfilling. Now and then I would even entertain the idea that perhaps, just this one time on a whim, that his suggestion could surpass my preconceptions about the genre.

The guy was passionate and a fantastic writer, miss his style and approach deeply.

Lich Coldheart wrote:
I don't know why but I've always thought that NausikaDalazBlindaz always manages to review cool bands.

She is an underrated classic if you're a fan of off-beat black metal.

BastardHead wrote:
Thanks guys! My main reason for existence is to shoehorn Futurama quotes into things, and my last two reviews in a row managed it. I'm so proud of myself. In fact, two of the reviewers who were at their most prolific when I was in my reviewing infancy that always influenced me were lord_ghengis and zeingard. And wouldn't you know it? They both used Futurama quotes as titles around the same time.

Re-reading my review makes me want to shoot old me in the face. Repeatedly.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:22 pm 

Alright MetalMan50, you absolute fuckstick, now you've done fucked up. You thought you were cute in bashing other classics with your ever so eloquent style, but dropping your excrement on Stained Class like that is really pushing it. :tongue: :grr: Especially if all you can say is, "there's other albums that came later that have done it better." Plus, this dude contradicts himself at least a few times in the entire review.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:33 pm 

I kinda expected your input, stainedclass. Don't let yourself pissed off by a fool.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:36 pm 

Man don't fall for his shtick, you're smarter than that.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

UnholyCrusada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:09 pm 

Anyone want to start a betting pool as to what album he knocks next?

Paranoid? Number of the Beast? Hell Awaits? Rust in Peace?

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:12 pm 

The Divine Wings of Tragedy. Or Peace Sells..., or even Symbolic.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:50 pm 

Oh don't worry, I'm not actually mad. It's just kind of a low blow to pick on an album like that. If he goes for a Rush album though, then it's war. :lol:

He went after MoP and RtL, so maybe he'll go after And Justice For All. Although the way he seems to be going after beloved albums might mean he'll just pick stuff with high averages.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:36 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Thanks, man! I'm slowly going to go through their discography.

I liked the Aberration EP review. I was super pumped when I bought it back in like 2002. I know it's not super rare or anything, but that was one of the first records I remember spending a good bit of time searching for and actually finding.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:05 pm 

Haha, didn't really expect anyone to read a review of such a random EP. I do kind of wonder sometimes after I write a review how many people will actually read it, it would be interesting to know how many people read, say, a review here for a mid-level extreme metal band.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:21 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
after I write a review how many people will actually read it

Well, I know exactly how many people read my reviews... :lol:

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:57 pm 

I have to give some major props to Doomknocker for his rock solid review of Fairyland's "Of Wars In Osyrhia", one of the staples of turn of the millennium power metal and probably the greatest thing that Elise Martin has ever accomplished as a vocalist. I know I gave out way too may 92-99 scores for albums like that one back in my early days, but I still blast that one in my car on a regular basis, more than 10 years after first hearing it.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Mon May 23, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikhail95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:16 pm 

What are your opinions on this review I wrote for Protector's A Sheddin of Skin?

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/P ... y22/371587

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:24 pm 

Well, I can't say I like nor approve the "list" style of the review. Each member of the band has his own paragraph about him, it's basically a track by track review but for the instruments. Outside of this obvious faux pas, it's not bad, it lacks a certain personality though.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:29 pm 

We can't forget Michael Hasse on drums...

Last but not least we can't forget Ede Belichmeier...

Last but not least if you enjoy the heavier end of thrash such as Sodom, Kreator, Demolition Hammer...

It's dangerous for me to give stylistic advices in a foreign language, but be aware of avoiding repetitive wordings. Apart from this minor flaw, I think it's okay.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:54 pm 

Felix 1666 wrote:
We can't forget Michael Hasse on drums...

Last but not least we can't forget Ede Belichmeier...

Last but not least if you enjoy the heavier end of thrash such as Sodom, Kreator, Demolition Hammer...

It's dangerous for me to give stylistic advices in a foreign language, but be aware of avoiding repetitive wordings. Apart from this minor flaw, I think it's okay.

Yeah this is not so good. You tend to repeat yourself a lot too..... it confuses me a bit based on some other things you've said but I digress. Look here just the first paragraph

"The way this album comes out is like a delicious chocolate milkshake that was blended just right, the chocolate and the thickness of it is just right..."

That's redundant as hell my man. I'm not going to bother reading the whole thing cause I'm sure I'll just continue to echo what others have said already. Ohhhh also you really need to use proper capitalization, i.e. Bay Area thrash.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:09 pm 

mikey22 wrote:
What are your opinions on this review I wrote for Protector's A Sheddin of Skin?

It's more of the same: intermittently relevant information organized in an uninteresting way, unclear analogies, and meandering/reduntant phrasing. You don't need to say half the stuff you're saying, and you can say it all more clearly. Connect your thoughts together; don't just put all the same generally related fragments of information next to each other.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:13 pm 

This guy doesn't really seem to take criticism very well. Not sure why we're doing this here when he was already asking about and then rejecting advice given to him in the feedback thread...

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:35 pm 

Becausea we'rea crazy boys!!

sorry I've always wanted to use that for real, yes I know I'm like 12.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:05 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/D ... cer/202055

Quote:
One would think that drugs had some serious drug issues to think that this would be good music.

Uh...

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:56 pm 

You ever hear something so God-awful you just need to vent to somebody? Cause that's exactly what lead me to submit my first review yesterday for The Noise Zone's Frowst in There Minds. I've never really bothered with contributing reviews on MA, I rarely consult them when browsing discographies, but that demo was so unrewarding and worthless that I felt I had to warn people.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:24 am 

I don't know, but for some reason while reading this entire review I got the impression that the writer seems to like the drum-work on this album.
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/M ... st666/9582

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:33 am 

I think you're reading too much into it.

EDIT: Also, I've noticed with some reviews of thrash albums, hells_unicorn refers to the music as either 'red', 'green', 'grey' or 'black'. I don't know what these terms are supposed to mean.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:06 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
I think you're reading too much into it.

EDIT: Also, I've noticed with some reviews of thrash albums, hells_unicorn refers to the music as either 'red', 'green', 'grey' or 'black'. I don't know what these terms are supposed to mean.

These are sort of unofficial terms that I picked up on when talking to other thrash metal fans on other forums, some may not agree with how I have appropriated the terminology, but this is basically the formula that I use.

Red thrash - Mostly dealing with thrash metal that has some death metal tendencies, tends to focus on violence, war and destruction. Some death metal fans of this forum's recent past (such as Noktorn, whom I spoke with briefly on this subject back in the day) view certain pioneering death metal albums such as Death's early works and Possessed's "Seven Churches" as being under this mode of thrash metal. He noted something to this affect in his review of Cannibal Corpse's "Butchered At Birth", which he regarded as a good example of a full separation from thrash metal into something purely death metal in demeanor.

Black thrash - This would be bands that are loosely connected with influencing or taking influences from black metal, and generally have lyrics to similar affect. Other reviewers in the past such as Ultraboris have used the archaic definition of black metal (namely the one that existed in the early to mid 80s and dealt a bit more with lyrical subject rather than a distinct metal style) to describe albums like Slayer's "Hell Awaits", though the label could probably be best attributed to bands like Sodom that began in something of a black metal style comparable to early Venom and kept some elements of that when pivoting over to thrash metal. Generally there's a fair degree of overlap between this label and the "red" one given that most early thrash metal bands were not limiting themselves to writing songs about violence vs. the occult, and likewise their musical approach was kinda all over the place at times when compared to how distinct these subsets became latter.

Green thrash - This tends to refer a bit more to later 80s bands that began delving into more punk themes like socio-political issues and environmentalism such as Nuclear Assault and Sacred Reich, and it similarly became associated with the more punk-infused style of bands at this time. This term is sometimes used in conjunction with what is called "whiffle thrash", a pejorative term for thrash metal that was a bit more slowed down, steeped in cliche ideas and lyrically safe, though I personally wouldn't refer to the bulk of Nuclear Assault's later 80s material that way, nor would most who use that term.

Grey thrash - This one gets a bit ambiguous, but is generally associated with the modern early 90s sound where elements of groove metal came into the picture, and I've heard some say that it is meant to refer to thrash getting old and stale and being on its death bed. I tend to think of it more in terms of associating it with the mechanized and grooving character of the music rather than it being geriatric given that there were some great albums in the early 90s that were slower but didn't sound old and tired.

Again, this is sort of my own appropriation of these terms, and there is some degree of connection between the use of these colors and the coloring of various band logos and attire fans would wear at concerts, which is what Overkill's song "The Green and The Black" off of Ironbound was referring to lyrically.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Thu May 26, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:29 pm 

Hey, I like that classification. Would a mix between thrash metal and the cold style of bands such as Paysage d'Hiver and Immortal be called "blue thrash"?

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:47 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
-post-

Oh right, yeah those make sense. Thanks for clearing that up. :thumbsup:

Mikhail95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:53 pm 

Hello, I was lurking through the reviews that mods rejected and I stumbled upon this review for Grave Upheaval. Why was a review this detailed, that used such large words rejected? Note: I did not write this review because I simply cannot write this good and I just simply wanted to share such an in depth, thought provoking review.

Quote:
With the exception of their first release, Grave Upheaval (henceforth GU) have suspended any album or track titles from their releases. Perhaps for the first release, a demo (2010), the bias to name the tracks according to the ethos and conventions of the genre (“Death Metal”) was not yet thought through. Or maybe GU thought they needed to name their work something such as “Goat Kommand,” in order for the other idiots mired in the repetition of “their culture” to recognize it “as such” … “as Death Metal.” Irrespective of these injunctions of the genre, which “must” be made explicit, we can say with confidence that GU does perform Death Metal. It’s rather undeniable, and what is the use of arguing otherwise? Who cares? To pretend as if an ontological argument, an argument that says “this is” or “isn’t” e.g. Death Metal, gets anything accomplished. How different is this argument for or against the existence of God, the ubiquitously refuted and hated object of “extreme metal?” This question, or the reference, to God isn’t just a desperate attempt to make you upset or annoyed (“how dare they!”). Rather, it’s a sort of flimsy attempt to finally get to the point, which is that GU unbind the ethical imperative to insist on Death, and moreover experience, without modifying the practical conventions of the genre from which they perform. We will attempt to give a few propositions on why this is.

First, let’s begin on this point of Death and its correlation to experience. We are all familiar with the Music Review: riddled with insipid adjectives and litanies of experiential claims. Can we still afford for such overcompensation and Romantic attempts at “naming” the “experience” that “music” gives to us? What do you think is happening when you listen to music? What GU might posit is that the bias towards Death, and thus an experience embedded in its finitude, cannot be apprehended … cannot be paid for any longer. Or, perhaps more urgently, what if we are without the capacity to discern any thing to apprehend or pay for? It might be appropriate to cite some sentences here from Badiou: “Death alone is proof of life. Finitude alone is proof of the transcendental constitution of experience. In both cases, a secularized or sublimated God operates in the background, the over-existent broker of being. One may call Him Life, or—like Spinoza— Substance or Consciousness. […] To unshackle existence down here from its mortal correlation requires that it should be axiomatically wrested from the phenomenological constitution of experience as well as from the Nietzschean naming of being as life.” However, the question is not necessarily to decide that we should axiomatically wrest ourselves from phenomenology, experience, or the finitude of Death—although it’s at least a start—but rather to ask how we, as listeners or whatever, get in a situation where these inane categories of “description” for music are not available or appropriate for what may be described. In other words, we don’t need to get a life in order to die and then “experience” the propositions of GU. We must think the existence of GU and ourselves in a “poorer” (for whom? humans? the ones that must be wiped off the universe? the biggest mistake?) way.

In one review of their album released on Nuclear War Now (2013), which is the object of our discussion here, the reviewer attempts to show the viewers the cover of the album, but immediately apologizes for attempting to do so: “Sorry, you probably can’t even see that.” Later the reviewer claims that, in terms of the content of each track: “there’s little grasp onto.” This is a common sentiment in several reviews given for this album. Invisible Oranges, in a rather comedic way—showing the absurdity of the injunction to give new names, new forms, etc.—offers several “keywords” for GU: “murky,” “muddy,” “wind-tunnel.” IO claims that GU reaches the “peak” of these conditions, which is: the possibility that there can be nothing further to show or provide, nothing further that can result from these conditions. In more absolute terms, another reviewer claims that this album contains "no varying lead patterns, no notable changes in the pace of drumming, no vocal lines that really grab you” and there isn’t much to discern in terms of “riffs” (a convention for the genre … a heterogeneous identity given under a structure that can and will repeat). The Plow Behind You uses the term “impenetrable” several times. All of these reviews demonstrate a desperate, sycophantic attempt to retain the injunction that GU, being a musical “result,” must yield some thing to experience and thus describe. But, what can be at least minimally inferred from GU are: homogeneity, indiscernibility, continuousness. Or, the suspension of (though not without a cancellation of possibility for) things, and thus of finitude. To cite Badiou again: “[T]he chain of infinite modes, immediate then mediate, itself intrinsically homogeneous, but entirely disconnected from the presented world of 'singular things'” is precisely a description for Being, or: that which is obviously independent of any-thing called a person that claims to experience music.

Of course, to at least imply that GU demonstrates the minimal properties of Being—especially to imply this through some geriatric modernist Philosopher—is a bit laughable, considering we’re talking about/from an album, with discrete tracks. But, what is also laughably obvious is that each track, due to its condition (their decision … relegation?), ends. Moreover, each track has a sample rate of 44.1 kHz. This is proof—as if we needed it?—of a homogeneity intrinsic to not just (No Title), but any record one might acquire. But, considering what our music review frenz have mostly ‘driven home’, GU leaves us with much else than homogeneity and indiscernibility, or in other words: the fatalism that every track ends and has a sample rate of 44.1, both of which are identical each time. Or: each sample and end of (any) track only happened once, and GU, by yielding an album with discrete tracks—what else would they do?—only perform one sample of the end. GU axiomatically wrest themselves from experience, heterogeneity, and Life, which involuntarily defaults them into a condition suspended from the possibility of starting their album. This might imply something like a fatalism, albeit without fatality.

Sure, there is audio on each track and one can hear that audio, if they wanted. But, one doesn’t necessarily need to do that, considering it might have already happened, and it’s over. Following the press release for (No Title): the album is "immediately arresting to the listener without the need to engage in repeat listens before it even begins to set in." The “listener,” should they exist—this “should” is another question that we don’t have time to get into—is arrested by the guarantee of the homogenous end which yields no-thing to discern, immediate and invariant to its any relegation under “the music.” It won’t “set in,” because it has no-thing to do with you or me. Did I listen to this album? This album by Grave Upheaval? How is listening proved? Listening is just another invariant under the album: it doesn’t modify the album, it’s a totally minimal appearance for the album. It doesn’t exist relative to the existence of the album. In other words, this is what we might mean now by death: it doesn’t make any difference … depletion of appearance towards non-identity. In other words, the effectuation of listening, as a solely formal procedure that might be performed upon the album, is identical in its homogeneity and invariance to what can be inferred from GU: the end of each track, the arrest (suspension) of identity—i.e. result—by ‘impenetrable’ murkiness, etc. The ethical imperative to listen, and for there to have something to listen to, in order to effectuate “an experience” might be fairly ridiculous, in this sense. And this might be to practice from or with Grave Upheaval, rather than to demarcate “us” as necessarily autonomous from them, especially when you probably can’t even see that.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:57 pm 

I'm probably not one to hand out critiques of reviews beyond 'THIS SUCKS', but if you actually read that review you realise that at no point does it actually talk about the music beyond calling it 'death metal' and saying 'there are audio tracks'. The rest is just long-winded, pretentious purple prose, with an utterly tangential connection to the album in hand, or just talking about another review altogether. A review's quality doesn't hinge on how advanced the vocabulary used gets, it is how well it describes the music and how well it can transcribe stone-cold description into an easy-to-read and engaging format.

And also, waaay too many dashes used. Just use a comma if you want to separate clauses like that.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:08 pm 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
Hey, I like that classification. Would a mix between thrash metal and the cold style of bands such as Paysage d'Hiver and Immortal be called "blue thrash"?

You could probably come up with something to that affect, and likewise the coloring system that I came up with here doesn't account for a term that was occasionally kicked around known as "white thrash" which was used to describe thrash metal bands with pro-Christianity lyrics like Believer and Sacrament. I decided to incorporate the whole red/black/green/grey color scheme into some of my reviews because those are the 4 most commonly used ones that fans of thrash metal would recognize, at least according to conversations I've had on this subject over the past 10 years or so, particularly if one of them is interested in a younger revival band that is emulating one of these styles.

Truth be told, most throw-back bands that have come out between 2005 to the present follow these categories a lot more consistently than the original bands that developed these distinctive subsets. Even Sacred Reich, arguably the greenest of the green when it comes to lyrical content, were much closer to the "red" style of bands like Slayer and Possessed (note I used one of Slayer's albums earlier as an example of the "black" style) in terms of musical style on their debut album "Ignorance".
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:04 pm 

Oddly enough, as soon as you started explaining the colored thrash subsets you made up, I instantly sorta knew what each one meant. I dunno why, they all made me think of a prominent album with that color scheme I guess (like Morbid Visions is mainly red, every black/thrash band in history uses a black and white cover, etc). I don't think I'll start using them myself and trying to spread it or anything, but it's interesting and does make sense.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:50 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Oddly enough, as soon as you started explaining the colored thrash subsets you made up, I instantly sorta knew what each one meant. I dunno why, they all made me think of a prominent album with that color scheme I guess (like Morbid Visions is mainly red, every black/thrash band in history uses a black and white cover, etc). I don't think I'll start using them myself and trying to spread it or anything, but it's interesting and does make sense.

This terminology was being used a bit on the Thrash Unlimited forum back a few years ago when it had more traffic, so while I technically didn't come up with it myself, I don't think it is something that is used officially to categorize thrash metal albums. The origin of these color schemes may have begun entirely by accident, but there was this odd correlation between death metal leaning early thrash albums and red color schemes, and the same goes with more mainline acts like Overkill using green in their logos.

Anyway, the whole idea behind the color scheme was to give some sort of a singular description via analogy about the stylistic leanings of each album that would save time as simply droning on for multiple paragraphs about the nuances in atmosphere that separate early Bathory from early Sepultura would start to get tiresome. And it's obviously not a perfect analogy as there are albums that are lyrically geared towards one color yet musically geared towards another.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:52 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/users/MetalMan50
Man does this guy's titles and ratings scream attention whore:

Slayer - Repentless "Worst fucking album I've ever heard" 0%
Judas Priest - Stained Class "I've heard MUCH better" 60%
W.A.S.P. - The Crimson Idol "This album fucking sucks" 40%

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281 ... 521  Next