Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
J_Ason
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:09 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... ble/327446

LeMiserable thinks Suffocation's first album has frog croaks? Are we talking about entirely different bands, or do the frogs in his part of the world all just happen to be possessed by demons from the 9th circle of Hell?

Other than that, the first 40% or so of the review (which, in case you're too lazy to click, is about Breeding the Spawn) consists of a rant about how if only people were being honest with themselves, they'd all agree with him. He then goes on to barely describe the music at all except for the production and vocals. He says the album is a bland rehash, and calls the riffs unexciting and interchangeable, and that's pretty much it. He makes no mention of the bass whatsoever, despite its prominence and the fact that it functions as the lead instrument a lot of the time. He also says that indecipherable lyrics are useless, which instantly invalidates every opinion he's ever had about anything even remotely related to art.
"I concur" -John Wilkes Booth
"I have been shot in the head, but at least I got to read that kickass blog" -Abraham Lincoln

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:54 pm 

Didn't read it thoroughly once he again called everyone who disagrees with him 'idiots'...really shitty, bad form for any reviewer about anything.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:55 pm 

Quote:
At least everyone seems to acknowledge that this has one of the worst production jobs ever, and that the album suffers from it, but that's where most people seem to turn their brain off and praise this anyway, merely because it has "Suffocation" on the cover or something. A brand name does not guarantee quality, people! Open your eyes and remove the shit from your ears, you're not doing it right! You all know this sucks very badly, stop trying to come up with fake bullshit praise for an album that doesn't deserve it.

Never understood what reviewers think they are going to achieve with this style. "I don't like this, and because of that it means you don't actually like it either and are just delusional idiots who are pretending!" That just seems childish to me.

Quote:
Mullen is far from being close to his best here. His frog croaking style on the first album was admittedly really, really good. It doesn't really sound intelligent, but it definitely doesn't even come close to this crummy performance from him. I don't have a clue what he's trying to achieve here, but it really sounds like he's trying to scream his lungs out constantly losing his tone in the process. He sounds like Martin Van Drunen, just as deliberately grating on the ears, but far less torturous and far, far less impressive.

:???: Of all the ridiculous things I've heard in my life, that is one I never expected to hear......

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:28 pm 

J_Ason wrote:
...the first 40% or so of the review (which, in case you're too lazy to click, is about Breeding the Spawn) consists of a rant about how if only people were being honest with themselves, they'd all agree with him.

You know, I actually considered this whole "being honest with myself" stuff a few times in the past, and decided to try it again while listening to Breeding The Spawn. Sadly, I just like the album far too much to do this self-honesty bullshit. Tough luck LeMiserable, you'll probably be dealing with a lot of people that are "in denial" when it comes to this album, it's just too good.

Oh yeah, cutting the sarcasm for a second, that review is positively awful, I barely managed to get through the whole thing, and I honestly wished I'd stopped after the first paragraph.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:42 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Oh yeah, cutting the sarcasm for a second, that review is positively awful, I barely managed to get through the whole thing, and I honestly wished I'd stopped after the first paragraph.

Funny, as I felt the same way after reading the title, and I don't even care about Suffocation.

It's a shame though, as judging by that review he is not a bad writer apart from the abundance of weasel words.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:13 pm 

Panflute wrote:
Funny, as I felt the same way after reading the title, and I don't even care about Suffocation.

It's a shame though, as judging by that review he is not a bad writer apart from the abundance of weasel words.

In terms of overall command of the English language and review structure, he's actually a decent writer. The whole notion of getting pissed off at other reviewers and lashing out at them in a review rather than simply stating your own case about the album objectively is extremely amateur, and I've noticed it in more than one of LeMiserable's reviews. I actually wrote a couple of reviews like that back during my first year or two as a reviewer here and Napero did me the favor of rejecting most of them, which I am thankful for given that in retrospect they were pretty embarrassing.

It's virtually impossible to avoid pissing somebody else off when reviewing an album, and I know I've annoyed a few people on here with my occasional fetish for tasteless jokes, but a review like the one in question almost seems to be taking the opinions of others just a bit too personally for my taste.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:02 am 

That review is absolute dogshit. I think we all tend to be too hard on LeMis sometimes but this is definitely all of his worst qualities in one. From the condescending tone to the immature "everybody who disagrees with me is an idiot" attitude, it's just difficult to finish reading. He also says that part of the album's problem isn't the fault of Suffocation, but the label's fault, because they were dropping bands to hop onto nu metal. Yeah okay, in 1993, a full year before Korn's first album and like half a decade before the genre started booming, sure, got it. And it's apparently nothing you haven't heard dozens of times before... in 1993. Yeah he makes it really clear that he has no fucking clue what he's talking about.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Manalishi69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:35 am 

If anybody wants to listen to and write a bit about frog croaks this might be an option:
COMECON Fable Frolic
Right at the start of the album you are confronted with the sound created by the animals and if you read the lyrics of the song "Frogs", you see what you first heard at the very beginning...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:44 pm 

SweetLeaf95's review of Vile wrote:
Chris Barnes' vocals don't do it for me, and I don't like any of his albums. All of the early Cannibal Corpse vocals sound the exact same and are very monotone, as are the riffs.

That's a new one.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:17 am 

true_death wrote:
Never understood what reviewers think they are going to achieve with this style. "I don't like this, and because of that it means you don't actually like it either and are just delusional idiots who are pretending!" That just seems childish to me.

Thank you.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:37 am 

i did enjoy mutantclannfears review of in the nightside eclipse. I really did crack up reading the spongebob comparison. Kinda missed the mark with calling the riffing on that album half primitive/half cutting edge.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:48 am 

That Spongebob comparison was amazing.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:29 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
i did enjoy mutantclannfears review of in the nightside eclipse. I really did crack up reading the spongebob comparison. Kinda missed the mark with calling the riffing on that album half primitive/half cutting edge.

Woot! Someone else who doesn't like that album... or Emperor in general. :thumbsup:

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:10 pm 

I dont dislike in the nightside eclipse but i do find it massively overrated.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:27 pm 

Good to see Beheaded Zombie getting some love! Their latest album is very good and I was hoping for a follow-up, but the band has split, but they did so on a good note. Bayern's review meanders a little bit, but I agree about his thoughts on the album itself.

Link

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:18 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:

Woot! Someone else who doesn't like that album... or Emperor in general. :thumbsup:

Meh...

Kind of reeks of tall poppy syndrome.

MutantClannfear wrote:
But the problem is that for the most part, In the Nightside Eclipse is a bit more behind the times than its contemporaries were in terms of riffing, and so it attempts to mix older black metal riffs with a newfound early-90s level of seriousness and pretense, to limited success. This seems to have missed out on the developments that bands like Darkthrone, Mayhem and Burzum had picked up on, who were shifting to a more technical and focused style of black metal with more chords, more layering, and more blasting.

Can't really agree with this bit in particular, especially the second sentence. Burzum, while still great in the early 90's I don't really think were doing this, and as for Darkthrone, they couldn't be more stripped back, all production points aside... I get people don't have to like the album, but the review seemed silly (well written though), discrediting the scope the album actually has. It's extremely powerful, and yes, to throw a (now, apparently) hackneyed term out there, "grandiose" while still being darkly entrancing. The whole review wants to downplay the importance this album had (back) when it was released. Sure there might be better bands out there right now doing the debut's kind of black metal (Vemod was mentioned I believe...), but for it's time show me someone who was doing something like Emperor were attempting. Two cents from an old bastard...

My collection

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:36 am 

I think what he meant by that comment was that those bands had a more developed and technical style of riff writing in a more subtle and skillful manner than Emperor. Burzum's layers peeled away brilliance and Darkthrone's best stuff was deceptively smart for how simple it seemed on the surface, whereas Emperor had a bunch of loud synths but no really substantial or creative riffs behind the booming grandeur and prominent melodies.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:57 am 

man, that new KEA review isn't *bad*, but it really gets me longing for the old days when those kinda albums needed a review to be of incredible quality if it had any hope of being accepted. Oh well

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:28 am 

" I've noticed many Metallica fans do not like all of their music. They either like the first two or three albums, or the first four"

That has to be the most worthless line I've ever read. I also pine for the days when FSM and Nightgaunt would reject 8 point reviews from Acrobat for having the wrong it's/its. You kids have it easy with Dia, Zodi, and myself!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:37 am 

To be fair it's one of the more annoying grammatical errors that people make. And it's not even that hard to differentiate between the two, especially for a native English speaker.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:47 am 

"Many Metallica fans only like the first demos, the first two or three albums, the first four, the first five, the later stuff, or all of them. Also, the sky is blue."

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:14 am 

BastardHead wrote:
" I I also pine for the days when FSM and Nightgaunt would reject 8 point reviews from Acrobat for having the wrong it's/its. You kids have it easy with Dia, Zodi, and myself!

You could always be harder on the kids!

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:05 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
To be fair it's one of the more annoying grammatical errors that people make. And it's not even that hard to differentiate between the two, especially for a native English speaker.

Yeah. They're are few things worser then that. Also, people who misspell vynil annoy me.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:09 pm 

Napero wrote:
Erosion of Humanity wrote:

Yeah. They're are few things worser then that. Also, people who misspell vinyl annoy me.

I don't really mind, as long as they're describing the rifts on those albuns.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:17 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Napero wrote:
Yeah. They're are few things worser then that. Also, people who misspell vinyl annoy me.

I don't really mind, as long as their describing the rifts on those albuns.

Corrected that for you.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:46 pm 

There their over they're, aren't they? I could of corrected the errors myself, if only would of had studied more grandma on school.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:17 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
There their over they're, aren't they? I could of corrected the errors myself, if only would of had studied more grandma on school.

Its spelt grammer.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:16 pm 

Definnatly some good points they're.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:22 pm 

My brain hurts after reading the last few posts. Grammar induced migraine; certainly a first for me.

Manalishi69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:40 am 

Painful Jokes

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:19 am 

From the new Broken Hope review:
Quote:
Chug chug chug chug...what is that? A train?!?! No!!! It's the equally crushing yet awesome death metal/thrash metal riffs of Broken Hope which are present all throughout their debut full length, Swamped in Gore

Is it just me or does this line read like a TV commercial for breakfast cereal?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:45 am 

Introducing new Gore-O's from Broken Hope! Complete with marshmallows in the shape of severed limbs and disemboweled organs. It turns milk to BLOOD.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:32 pm 

I'd give a kidney to Keith Richards for joecubbie and McTague97 to stop writing reviews.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:00 pm 

Wow, Tony, just looked at that joecubbie guy's reviews and let's just say I really hope he doesn't become a prolific regular.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:57 am 

Man, the people who reviewed the new Taake album have really made some strange comparisons. At the Heart of Winter, later Satyricon, Blackwater Park (?!?). What the fuck are they listening to?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:09 pm 

Acrobat, your review for In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend is listed under the 2004 version with the bonus disc, but your review doesn't ever mention the bonus disc or any of the tracks on it. Why is this?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:51 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/B ... ble/327446

Half a page of rambling on genres and this dimwit can't seem to understand that this album is both black metal and ambient. It seems like the possibility that an album is a fusion of two styles isn't possible in his demented mind.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:05 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Acrobat, your review for In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend is listed under the 2004 version with the bonus disc, but your review doesn't ever mention the bonus disc or any of the tracks on it. Why is this?

Because that's the version I own. I almost never comment on bonus tracks or whatever, just the album as a whole. However, if you'd like a comment it's that they're overlong and boring much like most of the album itself. :P

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:39 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Burzum/Hvis_lyset_tar_oss/413048/LeMiserable/327446

Half a page of rambling on genres and this dimwit can't seem to understand that this album is both black metal and ambient. It seems like the possibility that an album is a fusion of two styles isn't possible in his demented mind.

That review is an extremely long-winded way of saying "I am an idiot."

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:49 am 

I read through a bit of that one. Love how he keeps reiterating that BLACK METAL ISN'T HIS USUAL GENRE but this album is so good - it's like oh, what would we ever fucking do without your blessing to like this album...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212 ... 522  Next