Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:44 am 

Welcome to the Official LeMiserable and "bitter"man discussion thread.

Nice wordfilter, boys! Maybe change LeMis into Nightgaunt?

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:03 pm 

HeySharpshooter wrote:
People pretending to like old shit is what keeps a lot of useless old shit around.

Amen. Someone had to say it ;)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:24 pm 

You hit the nail in the head with that Cynic review Gunther, as I feel pretty much the same way as you do towards it. I would add Holy Fallout to the other two worthwhile songs you named (Kindly Bent to Free Us and Moon Heart Sun Head) as I feel that one also capture the Cynic "feel". With that being said though I'm still left with three out of eight songs that I think are actually good by Cynic's old standards, so I can completely related to what you're saying there.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:45 am 

"The thing to remember about black metal is that of all the different styles and subgenres of metal that have developed over the last 40 years, black metal may be the most open to experimentation. It's been fused with old school speed metal (Midnight)"
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/D ... ick/237570

Yes, Midnight is totally experimental and fuses genres like we've never heard before.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:52 am 

"It's not like you can understand [the lyrics] anyway, what with vocalist George Clarke's Neige-inspired shriek rendering all attempts at legibility fruitless."

Must be a super-human vocalist to be able to prevent one's writing from being readable from his voice alone.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:01 am 

androdion wrote:
You hit the nail in the head with that Cynic review Gunther, as I feel pretty much the same way as you do towards it. I would add Holy Fallout to the other two worthwhile songs you named (Kindly Bent to Free Us and Moon Heart Sun Head) as I feel that one also capture the Cynic "feel". With that being said though I'm still left with three out of eight songs that I think are actually good by Cynic's old standards, so I can completely related to what you're saying there.

:thumbsup:

Obligatory Last FM Link

~Guest 302292
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:36 pm 

I think that probably everyone in this thread is probably sick of talking about LeMis but for fuck's sake I can't keep my mouth shut about one thing in his new Waking The Cadaver review.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/W ... ble/327446

Quote:
I'm now 17 minutes down through the album

This really is the only thing that bothered me personally, like, was this his first listen of it? How is anyone expected to be interested in what you have to say about an album when he hasn't even listened to the whole thing first?
I understanding reviews upon first impression but this is just ridiculous.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:39 pm 

Xenokrist wrote:
I think that probably everyone in this thread is probably sick of talking about LeMis but for fuck's sake I can't keep my mouth shut about one thing in his new Waking The Cadaver review.

Quote:
I'm now 17 minutes down through the album

This really is the only thing that bothered me personally, like, was this his first listen of it? How is anyone expected to be interested in what you have to say about an album when he hasn't even listened to the whole thing first?
I understanding reviews upon first impression but this is just ridiculous.

No, it was my 3rd time, sctually, I've heard it before but didn't really care about it then, listened to it I think 4 or 5 times yesterday, and after the 5th time I liked it even more than initially, and I still liked it when I spun it today, the album isn't really deep in terms of music, it's pretty dumb, after 2 or 3 spins you know most of it.

Besides, I don't intend to spin every album 20 times, just 4-5 spins, and perhaps a little more if I really like the album.

~Guest 302292
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:50 pm 

LeMiserable wrote:
No, it was my 3rd time, sctually, I've heard it before but didn't really care about it then, listened to it I think 4 or 5 times yesterday, and after the 5th time I liked it even more than initially, and I still liked it when I spun it today, the album isn't really deep in terms of music, it's pretty dumb, after 2 or 3 spins you know most of it.

Besides, I don't intend to spin every album 20 times, just 4-5 spins, and perhaps a little more if I really like the album.

Ok, I just didn't really pick up on the fact that you listened to it previously. I guess I was being too nitpicky because I didn't see anything else wrong with the review.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:51 pm 

Xenokrist wrote:
LeMiserable wrote:

Ok, I just didn't really pick up on the fact that you listened to it previously. I guess I was being too nitpicky because I didn't see anything else wrong with the review.

I admit the writing of the line makes it look as such indeed. Ah well, slight slip-up.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:38 pm 

televiper11's Fallujah review:
Quote:
No self-respecting metalhead should be able to listen to "Alone With You" or "Allure" without barfing and wanting to kick some serious poser ass

2edgy4me

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:44 pm 

Quote:
Trying to separate myself from the hype and listen to this objectively has been difficult but my unvarnished reaction is that The Flesh Prevails is terrible and not worth more than a passing listen.

Yeah, I'm really sure you separated yourself from the hype after you spent a fucking paragraph in a three-paragraph review talking about how they're "due for a critical roller coaster ride" and talking about how it's important to ignore mainstream metal media. What a useless review.

I never get why some people have such a hard time separating the hype from the actual material. It's really not that difficult at all. Just seems like weak-mindedness to me...it's as simple as listening to something for what it is and not placing some kind of weight that isn't there upon the shoulders of the media and reviewers.

Batakanda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:43 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
televiper11's Fallujah review:
Quote:
No self-respecting metalhead should be able to listen to "Alone With You" or "Allure" without barfing and wanting to kick some serious poser ass

2edgy4me

I was right about to post this...

I'm not a fan of Fallujah, but his review is total garbage.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:17 pm 

Im kinda shocked that review even made the cut... but the second I saw the score I knew what to expect. Then he name drops Dead Congregation and Ulcerate... so knowledgeable, so trve...

Charon6
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:10 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Welcome to the Official LeMiserable and "bitter"man discussion thread.

To think Florida once had cool stuff like Brutality and Morbid Angel. Now, we have Implosive Disgorgence wigger diarrhea and bands like Cave of Swimmers, who aren't even worthy of being called a "shitty ripoff" of generic 1970s step dad radio rock. What a waste.

Absolute Legend. Only vapid, jockcore peddling, videogame music loving, truck driving, WWE wrestler entrance theme playing, wigmo methheads don't appreciate this man.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:15 am 

guys what if bitterman was created BY THE FOCUS GROUPS :tinfoil:

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:56 am 

Says The Flesh Prevails doesn't sound fresh -> rather listens to Dead Congregation. :ugh:

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:45 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
guys what if bitterman was created BY THE FOCUS GROUPS :tinfoil:

Oh SHIT, I saw it in a flowchart.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:59 am 

Appreciate the feedback, knew I'd get some flack for that review. Want to address some points:

Quote:
Says The Flesh Prevails doesn't sound fresh -> rather listens to Dead Congregation. :ugh:

Dead Congregation may not sound fresh but they also don't claim to be doing anything new or groundbreaking. I mentioned them only cuz they are one of the few contemporary bands releasing very strong, very atmospheric material. Ditto Ulcerate. It wasn't just to prove that I'm...
Quote:
so knowledgeable, so trve...
... thanks for the compliment though.

The main criticism was about my objectivity. You can acknowledge hype without having it totally color your opinions. That said, when promo copy and advance reviews use such words as "evolutionary," "game changer," etc., that has to factor into your review. Does the material fulfill those expectations? In Fallujah's case, no. Setting those factors aside, the album is still pretty bad: a pastiche of disparate genres offering nothing truly innovative or musically interesting.

Perhaps it is my own bias though as most tech-death is utterly bland and wanky to me and adding a layer of atmospheric sci-fi meets shoegaze effects doesn't really temper that monotony and only highlights a cheesy new-age hippiness that is the anti-thesis of metal to me. That said, we are all biased in our reviews, try as hard as we can to be objective -- and I was straight up in saying that it was difficult to be objective.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:09 am 

One could argue The Flesh Prevails doesn't break all borders, but it does sound pretty fresh, bitterman's review of this album is one of the worst he's ever written dismissing it as "tek-deafkore" and calling it social media background music. I haven't really heard that much of it but from what I've heard it's different from anything else, hell, it's not even deathcore at all, I haven't heard anything like it (perhaps The Faceless and Kennedy Veil) and the way they do it is pretty original i'd say. From what i've heard it's indeed a teeny tiny bit bland (sounds monotone) but it's not wanky at all.

And yes, I think you can easily seperate it from the hype, I can't imagine deathcore kiddies liking this album very much.

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:54 am 

This is a much more detailed (and more positive) review than mine but it hits at some of the problems I had with this record:
http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2014/07 ... -prevails/
Particularly this:
Quote:
When the band falls as one into straight-ahead brutality, the result is unfailingly rote, as on much of “Carved from Stone,” where they sound like a breakdown-drunk hardcore band stranded in a planetarium.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:57 am 

Kudos to televiper11 for not flipping his shit and standing by his opinion when called out in this forum.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:28 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Kudos to televiper11 for not flipping his shit and standing by his opinion when called out in this forum.

Agreed. Shows he can take the heat. Got my respect.

LeMiserable wrote:
One could argue The Flesh Prevails doesn't break all borders, but it does sound pretty fresh, bitterman's review of this album is one of the worst he's ever written dismissing it as "tek-deafkore" and calling it social media background music.

It's not a bad review at all and I can actually I can see what he means by that. It does have that deathcore overtone as well as trying to over reach a bit. It may not sound like anything out there but that doesn't make it good. I've heard most of it and although it's not the most horrible thing I've heard, I don't see why people are jizzing themselves over it.

Like your reviews?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:53 pm 

televiper11 wrote:
The main criticism was about my objectivity. You can acknowledge hype without having it totally color your opinions. That said, when promo copy and advance reviews use such words as "evolutionary," "game changer," etc., that has to factor into your review. Does the material fulfill those expectations? In Fallujah's case, no. Setting those factors aside, the album is still pretty bad: a pastiche of disparate genres offering nothing truly innovative or musically interesting.

Perhaps it is my own bias though as most tech-death is utterly bland and wanky to me and adding a layer of atmospheric sci-fi meets shoegaze effects doesn't really temper that monotony and only highlights a cheesy new-age hippiness that is the anti-thesis of metal to me. That said, we are all biased in our reviews, try as hard as we can to be objective -- and I was straight up in saying that it was difficult to be objective.

I don't think much music today at all can truly change the game, as there are too many different subsets and niches. However Fallujah do offer quite a bit of freshness and the album is consistently interesting in what it does. I wouldn't give it above a 90% necessarily but I do quite like it myself. I don't think it's really all the way metal, but what it does with the metal landscape is really fascinating and cool, showing a different approach to the genre. I hate it when people say "ugh, I hate how everything is the same, we need something really avant garde, etc" but Fallujah is a nice breath of fresh air sort of experiment, and I think some of it is really captivating. If you read any of my old reviews you know I hate wanky tech death when it sucks too, but I think this album is great for that genre.

bitterman's review came off like he didn't really listen to the album. It was a bunch of half-raving nonsense about how processed and mainstream it is, how deathcore it sounds...I dunno, I'm no expert on deathcore, but when I think of deathcore I think loud for the sake of loud, lots of screaming, lots of chunky groove guitars - Fallujah has a lot more nuance, melodicism, etc than that.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:03 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Diamhea wrote:

Agreed. Shows he can take the heat. Got my respect.

Mine too.

With that being said, the main problem I have with his review is how it sounds like every other new kid in the block complaining about the defilement of "true" metal. I'm sorry Televiper11, I can get what you mean and I respect your opinion, but the way you word it out is annoying to me. I love reading negative reviews, even more on overhyped albums that don't deserve it, but opening the album a new one by going all out on how it doesn't sound like metal is supposed to, as well as assuming every metal fan is obliged to acknowledge "true" metal like on the quote Tony did is very obnoxious for me as a reader. I don't really like the album, and I've voiced my opinion of it on the thread open in the Metal Discussion board (feel free to read it), nor can I listen to it and call it revolutionary or game-changing. I think it's decent but inconsequent, although in the future they may perfect the formula and do something actually great. But acting like you did just makes me want to close the tab and stop reading right there and then, because that kind of wording is the negative equivalent to blind praise.

Tl;dr - It's not the message, but rather how it's being conveyed. ;)

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:04 am 

Quote:
but opening the album a new one by going all out on how it doesn't sound like metal is supposed to, as well as assuming every metal fan is obliged to acknowledge "true" metal like on the quote Tony did is very obnoxious for me as a reader.

fair enough, and granted it is not a tack i usually take, though i do think assertions of what metal is or is not are fair to make.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:52 pm 

televiper11 wrote:
Quote:
but opening the album a new one by going all out on how it doesn't sound like metal is supposed to, as well as assuming every metal fan is obliged to acknowledge "true" metal like on the quote Tony did is very obnoxious for me as a reader.

fair enough, and granted it is not a tack i usually take, though i do think assertions of what metal is or is not are fair to make.

Oh, but they are indeed. And I'm not really saying your opinion isn't valid or something like that. It's just that when I read such a thing I can't take the writer seriously, know what I mean?! ;)

I'm a bit biased because that's my own stance, but I prefer a more neutral and overall appreciation of what it is and how it fits (or not) into the metal scene.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:41 pm 

I'm getting irritated with this dude StainedClass95's reviews. He seems to be going through classic bands and albums, giving 'high' ratings but then never saying anything positive it. Dude seriously gave Priest's UITE a +90% rating but complained about a lot of it in the review like he didn't really enjoy it. I've noticed this pattern a lot. I like reading newest reviews of classic albums and it ALWAYS seems to be this guy doing the same thing over and over.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:59 am 

Exigence wrote:
I'm getting irritated with this dude StainedClass95's reviews. He seems to be going through classic bands and albums, giving 'high' ratings but then never saying anything positive it. Dude seriously gave Priest's UITE a +90% rating but complained about a lot of it in the review like he didn't really enjoy it. I've noticed this pattern a lot. I like reading newest reviews of classic albums and it ALWAYS seems to be this guy doing the same thing over and over.

Yeah, certainly an inexperienced writer who hasn't hashed out his thoughts very well. I generally skip over new reviews for classic albums because few writers really analyze them well, most good writers have the sense to only write about what they know fairly well, and the largest volume of people reviewing classics are basically regurgitating commonly published thoughts on them without even understanding them half the time (i.e. the review of Sabbath's s/t that talked about the significance of downtuning.)

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:39 pm 

I would love to read Slayrrr666's reviews but those walls of text make it impossible! He has a lot to say, I just wish he would streamline his paragraphs.

Like your reviews?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:04 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
I would love to read Slayrrr666's reviews but those walls of text make it impossible! He has a lot to say, I just wish he would streamline his paragraphs.

He has been notified of this.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:40 pm 

A plea to prospective reviewers:

So sick of the obligatory glancing-over of the bass in reviews. It is almost like nobody wants to bother actually describing it, or doesn't really know how to discern it in the mix. "The bass doesn't stand out as much, but it still gets the job done, which isn't terrible."

Might as well not bother mentioning it at all, then.
Spoiler: show

Last.fm

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:47 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
A plea to prospective reviewers:

So sick of the obligatory glancing-over of the bass in reviews. It is almost like nobody wants to bother actually describing it, or doesn't really know how to discern it in the mix. "The bass doesn't stand out as much, but it still gets the job done, which isn't terrible."

Might as well not bother mentioning it at all, then.
Spoiler: show

Not sure why it's mentioned at all. It seems like some of these reviewers are obsessed by the bass....or the lack thereof.

Like your reviews?

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:41 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... ram/308638

The reviewer tells you to forget this 'gateway' band and move on to better things. That is his opinion...but it's the kind of poison sentiment that fucks 15yr olds in the head. Stupid elitist thinking. What if this wasn't Bodom. What if it was a Maiden album and the reviewer said "Iron Maiden is a gateway band, once you learn METAL you will find better things". It's outrageous. This weird unspoken rule of metal websites and forums where whatever got you INTO music should be shamed out of you.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:15 pm 

Glad to see some sort of love for Construct from mjollnir.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:23 pm 

Alsandair wrote:
Glad to see some sort of love for Construct from mjollnir.

Thanks! I just think that a lot of folks focus on just the negative aspects and they completely overlook the absolute gems that are on the album. It took me a while to come to appreciate the album because I did the same thing at first. It's not without flaws but not a pile of shit either.

Like your reviews?

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:00 pm 

I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but I've noticed that some albums seem to have reviews where the author bashes the album because he doesn't enjoy the style. I recall one from PTK where he admitted, more or less, that he didn't like it because it wasn't bay-area. It seems like, in these instances, the person just picks the style's most popular/respected and takes out his dislike for the style in his review. I understand that different opinions improve the site, but it seems like one ought keep to what you can get. I gave The Ritual a 40, but I generally enjoy some of their albums, I felt it sucked, not the style. I don't get most groove-metal, but I'm not going to go off on Cowboys From Hell. I'm hardly a model reviewer myself, but it seems like these reviews aren't even about the album, so much as why they don't like the type.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:54 pm 

It isn't really our job to police that. As long as people back their crap opinions with something approaching coherency along with meeting the site's guidelines, they will continue to pour in.

Last.fm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:10 pm 

I know it's cliche to pick on him and I've said y'all were being too harsh in the past, but LeMis... come on:

LeSuffocation wrote:
I must have spun Effigy of the Forgotten as much as 20-30 times in a matter of only months, but I still can't get my head into it

LeLater wrote:
I bought the CD two weeks ago and I think it was worth spending the 12 euro’s on just to have it, I guess, but as soon as I hear the album, I can't help but be disappointed at the amount of potential wasted here.

It almost takes a special kind of talent to have continuity errors in a death metal review.

I mean, obviously I'm a teensy bit biased because Effigy is one of my all time favorite death metal albums, but saying all the riffs and songs sound the same is just mindblowing to me. Yeah, I can readily admit that a lot of the solos sound the same (I swear they all do the same weedly dooo WEEDLY DOOO part), but I'd say the riffing actually has tons of personality and manages to keep the album grounded and focused in one sandbox while still giving itself lots of toys to play with to sculpt said sand into a lot of different ideas. I mean let's not pretend "Involuntary Slaughter" and "Reincrimation" are copies of each other, they're not even close apart from obviously being by the same band. :nono:
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:52 pm 

Bastardhead's Hoth review is kick ass!! Great job describing the music with your usual jocularity. That album is one of my favorites for this year and you did it justice. Good job!

Like your reviews?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195 ... 520  Next